Recommendation for video card for under $125?

I need to upgrade my video card in the near future. I currently have a
radeon 9600 and am willing to spend under $125. My system is an ASUS
A7N8X MB ,2500+barton core,512meg of ram ,80gig hard drive etc. Can
someone recommend a good video card.

p.s. I prefer one with a passive heat sink

thanks

******************************
http://www.dubyareport.net/
http://www.frozenpsi.net/
******************************

In article <5fgm21tg891t6atrl7rhgmj6accd95hcrm@4ax.com>, DNC_TN@ says...

>I need to upgrade my video card in the near future. I currently have a
>radeon 9600 and am willing to spend under $125. My system is an ASUS
>A7N8X MB ,2500+barton core,512meg of ram ,80gig hard drive etc. Can
>someone recommend a good video card.
>
>p.s. I prefer one with a passive heat sink

Me too. I bought a Matrox G550 for about $109. May not be the fastest
choice for 3D games, but its quality cant be beat for 2D work. Buy.com
and Newegg.com have a G550 version with both VGA and DVI connector.

I had a bit of trouble with it in a Asus A8V motherboard when I
installed XP SP2 (matrox driver failed at boot after SP2), but I think
the only problem was that I didnt have the bios settings right. After
selecting PNP OS and 128MB AGP memory, its been great.

"dnc_tn@yahoo.com" <DNC_TN@> wrote in message
> I need to upgrade my video card in the near future. I currently have a
> radeon 9600 and am willing to spend under $125. My system is an ASUS
> A7N8X MB ,2500+barton core,512meg of ram ,80gig hard drive etc. Can
> someone recommend a good video card.
>
> p.s. I prefer one with a passive heat sink
>
> thanks

You need to save up some more money first. You can get cards for $125 or
lower, but they won't perform significantly better than a Radeo 9600. That
is, unless you buy something used off of ebay. But brand new, even online,
you won't find a better card for LESS than $125. -Dave

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:02:42 GMT, "Dave C." <noway@nohow.not> wrote:

>"dnc_tn@yahoo.com" <DNC_TN@> wrote in message
>> I need to upgrade my video card in the near future. I currently have a
>> radeon 9600 and am willing to spend under $125. My system is an ASUS
>> A7N8X MB ,2500+barton core,512meg of ram ,80gig hard drive etc. Can
>> someone recommend a good video card.
>>
>> p.s. I prefer one with a passive heat sink
>>
>> thanks
>>

>You need to save up some more money first. You can get cards for $125 or
>lower, but they won't perform significantly better than a Radeo 9600. That
>is, unless you buy something used off of ebay. But brand new, even online,
>you won't find a better card for LESS than $125. -Dave

Ok, then how much would I need to spend to get a better or improved
performance/?

thanks

******************************
http://www.dubyareport.net/
http://www.frozenpsi.net/
******************************

> >You need to save up some more money first. You can get cards for $125 or
> >lower, but they won't perform significantly better than a Radeo 9600.
That
> >is, unless you buy something used off of ebay. But brand new, even
online,
> >you won't find a better card for LESS than $125. -Dave
> >

> Ok, then how much would I need to spend to get a better or improved
> performance/?
>
> thanks

That depends on what you are aiming for. If you want to improve game
performance by upgrading a video card only, then you should aim for
something twice as fast as what you've got. That would be something in the
Geforce 6800 range, currently about $250 retail in an AGP 8X version. But
if you are going to upgrade to that, you need to look at your current power
supply, also. If it's less than 400W, or not a good name brand, then you
will need to upgrade that, also, along with the video card. -Dave