Prioritizing Start-Up Tasks in WinMe

Is there any way of "prioritizong" or "ordering" the execution of the
Start-Up Task list in WinMe?

My Firewall, which is on the start-up list, only comes in AFTER my
Clock Synchronizer. In the same way some "rogue" task could "get in"
before the firewall becomes operational - I have an "always-on"
wireless LAN connection to the Internet.

Can anyone give a light on this situation?

TIA

--
paulo

Unfortunately the applications launched via the various registry run keys
are launched synchronously rather than sequentially. I would suggest that
you perhaps consider moving the launch point for your Clock Synchroniser
to perhaps the Programs | Startup folder.as this is I think the last of
the various startup locations accessed in the startup process.

You may want to have a look at KB 179365 - "INFO: Run, RunOnce,
RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179365).
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:04:02 +0100, "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
wrote:

>Unfortunately the applications launched via the various registry run keys
>are launched synchronously rather than sequentially. I would suggest that
>you perhaps consider moving the launch point for your Clock Synchroniser
>to perhaps the Programs | Startup folder.as this is I think the last of
>the various startup locations accessed in the startup process.
>
>You may want to have a look at KB 179365 - "INFO: Run, RunOnce,
>RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup"
>(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179365).

Thanks Mike, but it's NOT the Clocker that worries me. It's the fact
that if the Clocker can get in before the firewall becomes operative
then so too could some other "rogue" task that installs itself
unanounced in the start-up lists. :-(

I've tested this supposition by removing the Clocker's permission for
accessing the Internet then restarting. The Clocker managed to
synchronize thru NTP BEFORE the firewall became operative :-(

I was just trying to see if I could close what appears, to me, to be a
loophole.

Such is life! :-((((

Two possible solutions:
a) Connect to the net through a router modem where the firewall will be up
at all times,
b) Move to XP where I believe the built in SP2 firewall loads first even
if it later exits because the user is using a third party software
firewall.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

..

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:58:06 +0100, "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
wrote:

>Two possible solutions:
>a) Connect to the net through a router modem where the firewall will be up
>at all times,

not feasible, I'm afraid :-(

>b) Move to XP

God forbid!

> where I believe the built in SP2 firewall loads first even
>if it later exits because the user is using a third party software
>firewall.

Thanks anyway.
It was worth asking just to see if there WAS a simple solution.
There ain't - so I'll just have to learn to live with my paranoia :-(

Be good, be safe - use protection, always! :)

--
paulo

paulo_v@coldmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:58:06 +0100, "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
> wrote:
>

>>Two possible solutions:
>>a) Connect to the net through a router modem where the firewall will be up
>>at all times,
>

> not feasible, I'm afraid :-(
>

>>b) Move to XP
>

> God forbid!
>

>>where I believe the built in SP2 firewall loads first even
>>if it later exits because the user is using a third party software
>>firewall.
>

> Thanks anyway.
> It was worth asking just to see if there WAS a simple solution.
> There ain't -

ain't? why not just go into the Registry and switch the keys order
around (okay that ain't a "just" but doesn't sound terribly complicated)

Rick

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> ain't? why not just go into the Registry and switch the keys order
> around (okay that ain't a "just" but doesn't sound terribly
> complicated)

Rich,

This is what I was in effect suggesting in my first reply and why I
included a reference to KB179365. In other words I would have thought
that launching the firewall as a service using an entry in
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices and then the
clock synchronisation program or anything else using an entry in the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key or even later using
a shortcut in the Startup folder.

However, as you can see by reading 179365, all RunService entries run
synchronously which means that a malicious application launched using an
entry in the RunServices key stands a chance of accessing the net before
the firewall has been loaded although to be honest I'm not a network guy
so have no idea as to how much of the IP stack has been loaded at that
time allowing such access to proceed.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 20:10:35 +0100, "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
wrote:

>Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ain't? why not just go into the Registry and switch the keys order
>> around (okay that ain't a "just" but doesn't sound terribly
>> complicated)
>
>Rich,
>
>This is what I was in effect suggesting in my first reply and why I
>included a reference to KB179365. In other words I would have thought
>that launching the firewall as a service using an entry in
>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices and then the
>clock synchronisation program or anything else using an entry in the
>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key or even later using
>a shortcut in the Startup folder.
>
>However, as you can see by reading 179365, all RunService entries run
>synchronously which means that a malicious application launched using an
>entry in the RunServices key stands a chance of accessing the net before
>the firewall has been loaded although to be honest I'm not a network guy
>so have no idea as to how much of the IP stack has been loaded at that
>time allowing such access to proceed.

That's what I had already tried here :-(

The only items in RunServices are my firewalI, SysRestore and my
Anti-Virus.
The "rest", including the clocker, are in Run.

But, as you say, a malicious app COULD set itself up at the beginning
of the RunServices and "phone home" BEFORE the firewall comes up.

Do you know if RunServicesOnce gets a priority over RunServices?
If so I could put the firewall in RSOnce and have a little .REG in
StartUp to put it back every time.

--
paulo

Mike M wrote:
> Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ain't? why not just go into the Registry and switch the keys order
>> around (okay that ain't a "just" but doesn't sound terribly
>> complicated)
>

> Rich,

"'rick" if'n ya wanna get technical.

> This is what I was in effect suggesting in my first reply and why I
> included a reference to KB179365. In other words I would have thought
> that launching the firewall as a service using an entry in
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices and then the
> clock synchronisation program or anything else using an entry in the
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key or even later
> using a shortcut in the Startup folder.

.... well... I suppose you *could* write a .bat or something to delay the
stack :( ... ow.

Has M$ changed that for XP ?

Rick

> However, as you can see by reading 179365, all RunService entries run
> synchronously which means that a malicious application launched using an
> entry in the RunServices key stands a chance of accessing the net before
> the firewall has been loaded although to be honest I'm not a network guy
> so have no idea as to how much of the IP stack has been loaded at that
> time allowing such access to proceed.

paulo_v@coldmail.com <paulo_v@coldmail.com> wrote:

> That's what I had already tried here :-(
>
> The only items in RunServices are my firewalI, SysRestore and my
> Anti-Virus.
> The "rest", including the clocker, are in Run.
>
> But, as you say, a malicious app COULD set itself up at the beginning
> of the RunServices and "phone home" BEFORE the firewall comes up.
>
> Do you know if RunServicesOnce gets a priority over RunServices?
> If so I could put the firewall in RSOnce and have a little .REG in
> StartUp to put it back every time.

In my first post I suggested that you have a look at KB179365 and then
referred again to that article in my reply to Rich. Please read it as it
does explain what I have been trying to say even if I inadvertently typed
synchronously when I mean to type asynchronously.

With the exception of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key, all keys and
their entries are loaded asynchronously. Therefore, all entries in the
RunServices and RunServicesOnce keys can potentially run at the same time.

Entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key are loaded synchronously
in an undefined order.

Because the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key is loaded synchronously,
all of its entries must finish loading before the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\Run, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\Run,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\RunOnce, and Startup Folder entries can be loaded.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:10:32 +0100, "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
wrote:

>paulo_v@coldmail.com <paulo_v@coldmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's what I had already tried here :-(
>>
>> The only items in RunServices are my firewalI, SysRestore and my
>> Anti-Virus.
>> The "rest", including the clocker, are in Run.
>>
>> But, as you say, a malicious app COULD set itself up at the beginning
>> of the RunServices and "phone home" BEFORE the firewall comes up.
>>
>> Do you know if RunServicesOnce gets a priority over RunServices?
>> If so I could put the firewall in RSOnce and have a little .REG in
>> StartUp to put it back every time.
>
>In my first post I suggested that you have a look at KB179365 and then
>referred again to that article in my reply to Rich. Please read it as it
>does explain what I have been trying to say even if I inadvertently typed
>synchronously when I mean to type asynchronously.

I DID wonder about that but as English is not my language I refrained
from commenting!

I'll study and test and then get back with some results.
Thanks for the help.
--
paulo

>With the exception of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key, all keys and
>their entries are loaded asynchronously. Therefore, all entries in the
>RunServices and RunServicesOnce keys can potentially run at the same time.
>
>Entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key are loaded synchronously
>in an undefined order.
>
>Because the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\RunOnce key is loaded synchronously,
>all of its entries must finish loading before the
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\Run, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\Run,
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\RunOnce, and Startup Folder entries can be loaded.

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> ... well... I suppose you *could* write a .bat or something to delay
> the stack :( ... ow.
>
> Has M$ changed that for XP ?

I honestly don't know but feel that I've seen elsewhere statements from a
reputable source that the XP SP2 firewall comes up pretty quickly and
before any app can get out to the net.

I'm sorry but I don't have the time or inclination to search it out at the
moment. No disrespect intended - I'm just feeling a bit under the weather
and more inclined to watch Live8 as I'm waiting for the Floyd to start.
:) There have been some really good sets here in Hyde Park including one
or two that surprised me including Madge's.
--
Mike M

Mike M wrote:
> Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ... well... I suppose you *could* write a .bat or something to delay
>> the stack :( ... ow.
>>
>> Has M$ changed that for XP ?
>

> I honestly don't know but feel that I've seen elsewhere statements from
> a reputable source that the XP SP2 firewall comes up pretty quickly and
> before any app can get out to the net.
>
> I'm sorry but I don't have the time or inclination to search it out at
> the moment. No disrespect intended -

none taken, ever.

> I'm just feeling a bit under the
> weather and more inclined to watch Live8 as I'm waiting for the Floyd to
> start. :)

!!! that's today? THANKYOU <rushes to TV>.

> There have been some really good sets here in Hyde Park
> including one or two that surprised me including Madge's.

Motley Crue currently (from Barrie Ontario); hope Floyd gets broadcast
over here... looking forward to Randy Bachman (homegrown).

Rick

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 18:10:37 -0400, Rick T
<plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>> I'm just feeling a bit under the
>> weather and more inclined to watch Live8 as I'm waiting for the Floyd to
>> start. :)
>
>!!! that's today? THANKYOU <rushes to TV>.
>
>> There have been some really good sets here in Hyde Park
>> including one or two that surprised me including Madge's.
>
>Motley Crue currently (from Barrie Ontario); hope Floyd gets broadcast
>over here... looking forward to Randy Bachman (homegrown).
>

>Rick

God!

You guys are OLD! But I mean OLLLLLLD!!! ;-))))))

Just joking! Last time that I was in the UK was for Hendrix and Baez
on the Isle of Wight.

1970?

South American Sunshine (with the resultant bints exposing themselves
on Copa beach the whole year round) is just what the doctor ordered
for keeping them colesterol levels down - chasing 'em down the beach.

;-)

Of course - you DO have the bathing beauties in the Serpentine ;-)

Well, back to testing Windoze...

Boa Tarde from Sunny Rio - beach day tomorrow :))))))

Of course, I could always stay indoors tomorrow and run a few RegEdits
- lot more educative than looking at scant bikini's on the beach ;-)

Decisions, decisions!

--
paulo

Shane

> Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ... well... I suppose you *could* write a .bat or something to delay
>> the stack :( ... ow.
>>
>> Has M$ changed that for XP ?
>
> I honestly don't know but feel that I've seen elsewhere statements from a
> reputable source that the XP SP2 firewall comes up pretty quickly and
> before any app can get out to the net.

That was one of the things it was supposed to be a fix for.

> I'm sorry but I don't have the time or inclination to search it out at the
> moment. No disrespect intended - I'm just feeling a bit under the weather

Nor me. Pizza and Special Brew. Searching for the Rennies.

> and more inclined to watch Live8 as I'm waiting for the Floyd to start.
> :) There have been some really good sets here in Hyde Park including one
> or two that surprised me including Madge's.

Haven't been watching it but I suspect you're going soft in the head. The
woman ruined American Pie!

I do get a sense of being away from where it's happening. But apart from all
the airshows around here, there's a VC-10 flies directly overhead every week
and next week is the Cotswold Show with a Spitfire doing it's bit and
that'll probably be directly overhead too!

Shane

Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> and more inclined to watch Live8 as I'm waiting for the Floyd to
>> start. :) There have been some really good sets here in Hyde Park
>> including one or two that surprised me including Madge's.
>
> Haven't been watching it but I suspect you're going soft in the head.
> The woman ruined American Pie!

As maybe, can't really comment, I'm not a fan, but she did put on a good
performance this afternoon. Just watched what's left of The Who which
brought back not a few memories which just leaves the Floyd to come - not
quite sure where Macca's going to fit in and now they're being joined by
George Michael!

> I do get a sense of being away from where it's happening. But apart
> from all the airshows around here, there's a VC-10 flies directly
> overhead every week and next week is the Cotswold Show with a
> Spitfire doing it's bit and that'll probably be directly overhead too!

At least I don't have to put up with Concorde flying overhead now and the
only noise air traffic I tend to hear nowadays is when a police chopper is
supporting yet another raid on one of the many crack houses in the nearby
Myatt's Field Estate or along the Brixton/Vassal Road. :)

Now I must watch/listen to Pink Floyd. Last heard them live in Earls
Court in the early 70s.
--
Mike

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>> I'm just feeling a bit under the
>> weather and more inclined to watch Live8 as I'm waiting for the
>> Floyd to start. :)
>
> !!! that's today? THANKYOU <rushes to TV>.
>
>> There have been some really good sets here in Hyde Park
>> including one or two that surprised me including Madge's.
>
> Motley Crue currently (from Barrie Ontario); hope Floyd gets broadcast
> over here... looking forward to Randy Bachman (homegrown).

I can't really believe it. Pink Floyd seem to sound just the same as
ever. I hope you get to see them as they are playing the highlight spot
(last) here in London. I know my ears are going but Money took me back
nearly 35 years to when I remember it reverberating round Earls Court here
in London. The London concert which started at 2pm BST with U2 and Macca
is still going approaching 11.30pm and overall has to be rated I feel
pretty much A+ Bill Gates even put in an appearance speaking of the need
to combat poverty before introducing Dido.
--
Mike

Mike M wrote:
> Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'm just feeling a bit under the
>>> weather and more inclined to watch Live8 as I'm waiting for the
>>> Floyd to start. :)
>>

>> !!! that's today? THANKYOU <rushes to TV>.
>>
>>> There have been some really good sets here in Hyde Park
>>> including one or two that surprised me including Madge's.
>>

>> Motley Crue currently (from Barrie Ontario); hope Floyd gets broadcast
>> over here... looking forward to Randy Bachman (homegrown).
>

> I can't really believe it. Pink Floyd seem to sound just the same as
> ever. I hope you get to see them as they are playing the highlight spot
> (last) here in London. I know my ears are going but Money took me back
> nearly 35 years to when I remember it reverberating round Earls Court
> here in London. The London concert which started at 2pm BST with U2 and
> Macca is still going approaching 11.30pm and overall has to be rated I
> feel pretty much A+ Bill Gates even put in an appearance speaking of
> the need to combat poverty before introducing Dido.

<expletives deleted>DAMN, Gilmour's voice sounded good.

Sir Beatle on the other hand... :/ but his voice always sounded like that.

paulo_v@coldmail.com <paulo_v@coldmail.com> wrote:

> God!
>
> You guys are OLD! But I mean OLLLLLLD!!! ;-))))))

No more so than you if you were at the Isle of Wight festival back in
1970. I don't know whether you know but after a gap of 30 years the IOW
festival was revived in 2002 with the 2005 festival being two weeks ago

> Just joking! Last time that I was in the UK was for Hendrix and Baez
> on the Isle of Wight.
>
> 1970?
>
> South American Sunshine (with the resultant bints exposing themselves
> on Copa beach the whole year round) is just what the doctor ordered
> for keeping them colesterol levels down - chasing 'em down the beach.
>
> ;-)
>
> Of course - you DO have the bathing beauties in the Serpentine ;-)
>
> Well, back to testing Windoze...
>
> Boa Tarde from Sunny Rio - beach day tomorrow :))))))

Now that I fancy.

> Of course, I could always stay indoors tomorrow and run a few RegEdits
> - lot more educative than looking at scant bikini's on the beach ;-)
>
> Decisions, decisions!

No contest. The beach wins every time. :)

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 23:49:03 +0100, "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
wrote:

>No more so than you if you were at the Isle of Wight festival back in
>1970. I don't know whether you know but after a gap of 30 years the IOW
>festival was revived in 2002 with the 2005 festival being two weeks ago

But never be the same as then!

Those were the days!

The main difference being that in those days there was no AIDS ;-)

God! What a weekend!

Talk about a ticket to Ryde/Ride!

I remember that the "feast" continued even on the way back to Uni by
B.Rail - it was tunnels all the way from Portsmouth to Oxford ;-)

I remember that some of the local au-pairs used to refer to me as the
Brasilian Banger. Never did quite figure that one out! :)

Well, mind back to serious things. What time should I go to the beach
tomorrow?

Boa Noite from Brasil

--
paulo

Shane

You're a one-man flashback, Paulo!

Shane

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 00:43:16 +0100, "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>
wrote:

>You're a one-man flashback, Paulo!
>

>Shane

Kind Sir - I don't flash - even on the beach!

Even in Rio.

I leave that up to the "brotinhos" *** ;-)
--
paulo
"Obviously Shane has no shame - and remembers well his own exploits"

*** Translator's Note:
brotinhos = "The Young Ones" as Sir Cliff would so eloquently put it.
God! That throws me back to "Living Doll"
Meu Deus! Estou ficando velho!