Now it won't start ...

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 3, 2005 12:52:12 AM

I've been messing about with my son's machine and eventually managed
to get rid of hundreds of trojans - it ran like a dream. Ha, thought
I, now's the time to get rid of that silly password logon business -
so I went to Control Panel and changed the password to blank. No
problem.

Now the bootup process stops when I see the desktop background - no
icons, no taskbar. If I boot into Safe Mode, all I can see is the
words Safe Mode in each corner - nothing to click on at all. So what
can I do????

The other thing that's funny is that the internet dialup is weird - if
I switch the machine on connected to the phone line, there's no
dialling tone. The only way to get rid of this is to unplug the
machine from the phone and reboot - which means I can't use the
dialup.

Hopefully these will be two separate problems and someone will be able
to help with either or both. The first has got me foxed, I must say.

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

More about : start

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:31:03 AM

David,

You should try

A registry restore:

Bootup with a startup floppy disk and at the A:\> prompt type

C: (press enter)

Now type:

cd windows\command (press enter)

Your prompt should read C:\Windows\Command, correct?

Now type:

scanreg /restore (space between g and /)

Press enter, select a date PRIOR to the problem, press enter, wait for the
process to finish and reboot WITHOUT the disk.

If you don’t have a startup disk, download one from www.bootdisk.com.

Any luck?

If you want to avoid that logon prompt, locate the files with an extension
*.PWL and rename them to *.OLD.

Reboot and when prompted to logon just press enter, DON'T type anything.

Good luck.

Zee

"David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message
> I've been messing about with my son's machine and eventually managed
> to get rid of hundreds of trojans - it ran like a dream. Ha, thought
> I, now's the time to get rid of that silly password logon business -
> so I went to Control Panel and changed the password to blank. No
> problem.
>
> Now the bootup process stops when I see the desktop background - no
> icons, no taskbar. If I boot into Safe Mode, all I can see is the
> words Safe Mode in each corner - nothing to click on at all. So what
> can I do????
>
> The other thing that's funny is that the internet dialup is weird - if
> I switch the machine on connected to the phone line, there's no
> dialling tone. The only way to get rid of this is to unplug the
> machine from the phone and reboot - which means I can't use the
> dialup.
>
> Hopefully these will be two separate problems and someone will be able
> to help with either or both. The first has got me foxed, I must say.
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:10:07 AM

Wow, thanks.

I'd got a few lines in and I thought 'Yes, you'd think I might have a
startup disk, wouldn't you ...' - but if I can download one - that's
superb.

Let's see now ..

--

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> David,
>
> You should try
>
> A registry restore:
>
> Bootup with a startup floppy disk and at the A:\> prompt type
>
> C: (press enter)
>
> Now type:
>
> cd windows\command (press enter)
>
> Your prompt should read C:\Windows\Command, correct?
>
> Now type:
>
> scanreg /restore (space between g and /)
>
> Press enter, select a date PRIOR to the problem, press enter, wait
> for the
> process to finish and reboot WITHOUT the disk.
>
> If you don't have a startup disk, download one from
> www.bootdisk.com.
>
> Any luck?
>
> If you want to avoid that logon prompt, locate the files with an
> extension
> *.PWL and rename them to *.OLD.
>
> Reboot and when prompted to logon just press enter, DON'T type
> anything.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Zee
>

> "David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> I've been messing about with my son's machine and eventually
>> managed
>> to get rid of hundreds of trojans - it ran like a dream. Ha,
>> thought
>> I, now's the time to get rid of that silly password logon
>> business -
>> so I went to Control Panel and changed the password to blank. No
>> problem.
>>
>> Now the bootup process stops when I see the desktop background - no
>> icons, no taskbar. If I boot into Safe Mode, all I can see is the
>> words Safe Mode in each corner - nothing to click on at all. So
>> what
>> can I do????
>>
>> The other thing that's funny is that the internet dialup is weird -
>> if
>> I switch the machine on connected to the phone line, there's no
>> dialling tone. The only way to get rid of this is to unplug the
>> machine from the phone and reboot - which means I can't use the
>> dialup.
>>
>> Hopefully these will be two separate problems and someone will be
>> able
>> to help with either or both. The first has got me foxed, I must
>> say.
>>
>> --
>> David Brear
>>
>> Habitat
>> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
>> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

July 3, 2005 2:57:46 AM

David,

You can download this:

http://spock.uccs.edu/pub/bootdisks/bootme.exe

Place a freshly formatted floppy in the drive and double click the
"bootme.exe" file you just downloaded.

This will launch the process to create the startup floppy disk.

When finished use that floppy to start the "sick" PC.

Good luck, again.

> [...]
> >> words Safe Mode in each corner - nothing to click on at all. So
> >> what
> >> can I do????
> >>
> >> The other thing that's funny is that the internet dialup is weird -
> >> if
> >> I switch the machine on connected to the phone line, there's no
> >> dialling tone. The only way to get rid of this is to unplug the
> >> machine from the phone and reboot - which means I can't use the
> >> dialup.
> >>
> >> Hopefully these will be two separate problems and someone will be
> >> able
> >> to help with either or both. The first has got me foxed, I must
> >> say.
> >>
> >> --
> >> David Brear
> >>
> >> Habitat
> >> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> >> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

July 3, 2005 3:04:42 AM

Zee,

Thanks for all your help.

It all went smoothly - except there's nothing there to Restore! Don't
know why.

Now what?

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:13:41 AM

David,

That's bad news. The registry should be backed up regularly.

Let's try a different approach. Boot again with the startup floppy and type
this at the A:\ prompt:

REN C:\WINDOWS\*.PWL *.OLD (note the following spaces between N and C, and
between L and *)

Press enter and reboot WITHOUT the floppy.

This will rename the profile/password files that may be corrupted.

IF prompted for logon, just press enter, DON'T type anything.

See if this helps.

> Zee,
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> It all went smoothly - except there's nothing there to Restore! Don't
> know why.
>
> Now what?
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:46:50 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

If it doesn't work, how about reinstalling Windows?

--

> David,
>
> That's bad news. The registry should be backed up regularly.
>
> Let's try a different approach. Boot again with the startup floppy
> and type
> this at the A:\ prompt:
>
> REN C:\WINDOWS\*.PWL *.OLD (note the following spaces between N and
> C, and
> between L and *)
>
> Press enter and reboot WITHOUT the floppy.
>
> This will rename the profile/password files that may be corrupted.
>
> IF prompted for logon, just press enter, DON'T type anything.
>
> See if this helps.
>
> Zee
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:11:15 PM

Nope!

If that doesn't work - try this

Boot with an ME Floppy (MUST be an ME floppy!)
Use either 'With CD support' or 'Without CD Support' options

at the A:\> prompt type

SCANREG /FIX

when control returns, remove the floppy, switch off the PC, and then reboot.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Thanks, I'll give it a go.
>
> If it doesn't work, how about reinstalling Windows?
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> David,
>>
>> That's bad news. The registry should be backed up regularly.
>>
>> Let's try a different approach. Boot again with the startup floppy and
>> type
>> this at the A:\ prompt:
>>
>> REN C:\WINDOWS\*.PWL *.OLD (note the following spaces between N and C,
>> and
>> between L and *)
>>
>> Press enter and reboot WITHOUT the floppy.
>>
>> This will rename the profile/password files that may be corrupted.
>>
>> IF prompted for logon, just press enter, DON'T type anything.
>>
>> See if this helps.
>>
>> Zee

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:47:57 PM

Noel,

Thanks for getting involved.

The 'must be ME floppy' bit worries me slightly. I don't know if the
floppy was an ME one or not.

I managed to boot from the floppy yesterday without problems and got
the CD/not options, and ran scanreg - so that should be OK, shouldn't
it?

What's the feeling regarding reinstalling Windows - is that likely to
fix the problem or not?

--

> Nope!
>
> If that doesn't work - try this
>
> Boot with an ME Floppy (MUST be an ME floppy!)
> Use either 'With CD support' or 'Without CD Support' options
>
> at the A:\> prompt type
>
> SCANREG /FIX
>
> when control returns, remove the floppy, switch off the PC, and then
> reboot.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>
> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> NG's
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:18:05 PM

David wrote :-

> The 'must be ME floppy' bit worries me slightly. I don't know if the
> floppy was an ME one or not.

David, the floppy that you made from Zee's download site is a perfectly
valid WinMe floppy boot disk.

However - it *may not* be set to _your_ local environment, BUT it won't
prevent you from following Noel's suggestions.

If/when you get WinMe up and running again <g> you can create your own
'local' WinMe floppy disk - but that's for the future.

Depending on what files you may have (accidentally?) removed during your
'clean-up' operation, only consider a re-install as a last resort - the guys
here will help you thru' it, if necessary.

Good luck

Mart

> Noel,
>
> Thanks for getting involved.
>
> The 'must be ME floppy' bit worries me slightly. I don't know if the
> floppy was an ME one or not.
>
> I managed to boot from the floppy yesterday without problems and got the
> CD/not options, and ran scanreg - so that should be OK, shouldn't it?
>
> What's the feeling regarding reinstalling Windows - is that likely to fix
> the problem or not?
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Nope!
>>
>> If that doesn't work - try this
>>
>> Boot with an ME Floppy (MUST be an ME floppy!)
>> Use either 'With CD support' or 'Without CD Support' options
>>
>> at the A:\> prompt type
>>
>> SCANREG /FIX
>>
>> when control returns, remove the floppy, switch off the PC, and then
>> reboot.
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:50:09 PM

Hi guys.

1) Renamed .PWL files -great, got the login back. Clicked to close
this (did not enter password) and bootup continued - but stopped
without loading desktop, as before.

2) Ran scanreg /fix (had great hopes of this) - but got message
'Unable fix problem - need to install Windows to different directory'.

So - do I? And what directory should Windows be in, if not /Windows ?

Thanks in advance.

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:03:42 PM

Oh, b%gg$r!

I was hoping that would not be necessary :(

A few questions, before we get to the 'nitty gritty'......
1) Are you running, or have you ever run Norton software on this box?
2) Have you tried using System Restore yet?? - look here for instructions if
not
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=279736 (let me know what
happens/happened!)
3) What Anti-Virus program is installed?
4) is your current installation into the C:\Windows folder?
5) Does the C:\WinME folder exist on that PC (it shouldn't - we want to use
that if possible for the new Windows if we have to reinstall)? To find out,
boot with the floppy, and type

DIR C:\WIN*.
(note the dot at the end after the asterisk- this restricts the output to
the directories)

post back with answers and we'll go from there

--

> Hi guys.
>
> 1) Renamed .PWL files -great, got the login back. Clicked to close this
> (did not enter password) and bootup continued - but stopped without
>
> 2) Ran scanreg /fix (had great hopes of this) - but got message 'Unable
> fix problem - need to install Windows to different directory'.
>
> So - do I? And what directory should Windows be in, if not /Windows ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:32:26 PM

Noel,

> 1) Are you running, or have you ever run Norton software on this
> box?
No; no
> 2) Have you tried using System Restore yet??
Yes - see my answer of 23rd at 1104. It won't restore because there's
nothing saved to restore from!
> 3) What Anti-Virus program is installed?
AVG - can't remember which version
> 4) is your current installation into the C:\Windows folder?
Yes
> 5) Does the C:\WinME folder exist on that PC
No, it only found C:\WINDOWS

Cheers.

--

news:o sphd77fFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Oh, b%gg$r!
>
> I was hoping that would not be necessary :(
>
> A few questions, before we get to the 'nitty gritty'......
> 1) Are you running, or have you ever run Norton software on this
> box?
> 2) Have you tried using System Restore yet?? - look here for
> instructions if not
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=279736 (let me know what
> happens/happened!)
> 3) What Anti-Virus program is installed?
> 4) is your current installation into the C:\Windows folder?
> 5) Does the C:\WinME folder exist on that PC (it shouldn't - we want
> to use that if possible for the new Windows if we have to
> reinstall)? To find out, boot with the floppy, and type
>
> DIR C:\WIN*.
> (note the dot at the end after the asterisk- this restricts the
> output to the directories)
>
> post back with answers and we'll go from there
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:37:41 PM

David,

This may be worth trying before reinstalling Windows:

How to Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279736

And a correction, what you tried before was a Registry restore, not a System
Restore.

Cheers,

> Noel,
>
> > 1) Are you running, or have you ever run Norton software on this
> > box?
> No; no
> > 2) Have you tried using System Restore yet??
> Yes - see my answer of 23rd at 1104. It won't restore because there's
> nothing saved to restore from!
> > 3) What Anti-Virus program is installed?
> AVG - can't remember which version
> > 4) is your current installation into the C:\Windows folder?
> Yes
> > 5) Does the C:\WinME folder exist on that PC
> No, it only found C:\WINDOWS
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o sphd77fFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Oh, b%gg$r!
> >
> > I was hoping that would not be necessary :(
> >
> > A few questions, before we get to the 'nitty gritty'......
> > 1) Are you running, or have you ever run Norton software on this
> > box?
> > 2) Have you tried using System Restore yet?? - look here for
> > instructions if not
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=279736 (let me know what
> > happens/happened!)
> > 3) What Anti-Virus program is installed?
> > 4) is your current installation into the C:\Windows folder?
> > 5) Does the C:\WinME folder exist on that PC (it shouldn't - we want
> > to use that if possible for the new Windows if we have to
> > reinstall)? To find out, boot with the floppy, and type
> >
> > DIR C:\WIN*.
> > (note the dot at the end after the asterisk- this restricts the
> > output to the directories)
> >
> > post back with answers and we'll go from there
> >
> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:42:13 PM

(beat me to it - thanks, Zee!)

--

> David,
>
> This may be worth trying before reinstalling Windows:
>
> How to Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279736
>
> And a correction, what you tried before was a Registry restore, not a
> System
> Restore.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Zee
>

> "David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> Noel,
>>
>> > 1) Are you running, or have you ever run Norton software on this
>> > box?
>> No; no
>> > 2) Have you tried using System Restore yet??
>> Yes - see my answer of 23rd at 1104. It won't restore because there's
>> nothing saved to restore from!
>> > 3) What Anti-Virus program is installed?
>> AVG - can't remember which version
>> > 4) is your current installation into the C:\Windows folder?
>> Yes
>> > 5) Does the C:\WinME folder exist on that PC
>> No, it only found C:\WINDOWS
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> --
>> David Brear
>>
>> Habitat
>> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
>> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> news:o sphd77fFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > Oh, b%gg$r!
>> >
>> > I was hoping that would not be necessary :(
>> >
>> > A few questions, before we get to the 'nitty gritty'......
>> > 1) Are you running, or have you ever run Norton software on this
>> > box?
>> > 2) Have you tried using System Restore yet?? - look here for
>> > instructions if not
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=279736 (let me know what
>> > happens/happened!)
>> > 3) What Anti-Virus program is installed?
>> > 4) is your current installation into the C:\Windows folder?
>> > 5) Does the C:\WinME folder exist on that PC (it shouldn't - we want
>> > to use that if possible for the new Windows if we have to
>> > reinstall)? To find out, boot with the floppy, and type
>> >
>> > DIR C:\WIN*.
>> > (note the dot at the end after the asterisk- this restricts the
>> > output to the directories)
>> >
>> > post back with answers and we'll go from there
>> >
>> > --
>> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:55:07 PM

Oh, yes ... good thing someone's looking over my shoulder.

Right, I'll try the System Restore and get back to you.

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:57:46 PM

.... and by the way, what do I type to get out of DOS and stop the
computer? It's so long since I did this sort of thing. EXIT and QUIT
don't work. So far, I've just been pulling out the plug but that's not
clever!

--

> (beat me to it - thanks, Zee!)
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>
> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> NG's
>
> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> David,
>>
>> This may be worth trying before reinstalling Windows:
>>
>> How to Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279736
>>
>> And a correction, what you tried before was a Registry restore, not
>> a System
>> Restore.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Zee
>>

>> "David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message
>>> Noel,

>>> No; no
>>> Yes - see my answer of 23rd at 1104. It won't restore because
>>> there's
>>> nothing saved to restore from!
>>> AVG - can't remember which version
>>> Yes
>>> No, it only found C:\WINDOWS
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Brear
>>>
>>> Habitat
>>> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
>>> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
>>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o sphd77fFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

July 3, 2005 6:03:38 PM

Ctrl+Alt+Del

Alias

"David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote
> ... and by the way, what do I type to get out of DOS and stop the
> computer? It's so long since I did this sort of thing. EXIT and QUIT don't
> work. So far, I've just been pulling out the plug but that's not clever!
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> (beat me to it - thanks, Zee!)
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> This may be worth trying before reinstalling Windows:
>>>
>>> How to Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279736
>>>
>>> And a correction, what you tried before was a Registry restore, not a
>>> System
>>> Restore.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Zee
>>>

>>> "David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:03:39 PM

There's no reason not to just switch off when in a real-mode DOS session
from a floppy - assuming the PC isn't actively processing at the time.

C-A-D *may* produce slightly different results, depending on the hardware,
so it's generally considered better to switch off anyhow, and reboot from
cold.

--

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:o axZ$c8fFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Ctrl+Alt+Del
>
> Alias
>
> "David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote
>> ... and by the way, what do I type to get out of DOS and stop the
>> computer? It's so long since I did this sort of thing. EXIT and QUIT
>> don't work. So far, I've just been pulling out the plug but that's not
>> clever!
>>
>> --
>> David Brear
>>
>> Habitat
>> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
>> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> (beat me to it - thanks, Zee!)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>>
>>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>>> NG's
>>>
>>> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:20:23 PM

Sorry guys - SCU runs but clicking on Launch System restore doesn't
produce any action. Similarly I can't run rstrui.exe from the command
prompt.

The anti-virus is AVG 6, by the way.

I've left progman up at the moment, pending instructions!

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:43:40 PM

- really clutching at straws now!

Just wondering what files (e.g. System.ini etc,) your virus/trojans cleanup
took with it?

Still considering the scanreg /restore option, I'm intrigued as to why there
were no restore points shown.

If possible, take a look, using DOS at your c:\Windows\sysbckup folder and
see if any of the (5) rbxxx.cab files are still there.

see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306482
and the Resolution section, for my reasoning.

Mart

> Sorry guys - SCU runs but clicking on Launch System restore doesn't
> produce any action. Similarly I can't run rstrui.exe from the command
> prompt.
>
> The anti-virus is AVG 6, by the way.
>
> I've left progman up at the moment, pending instructions!
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:50:31 PM

Also look for any RG*.CAB files in C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE (note this is a
hidden folder) as one of these could also be used to restore the registry
even if system restore itself doesn't work.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

> - really clutching at straws now!
>
> Just wondering what files (e.g. System.ini etc,) your virus/trojans
> cleanup took with it?
>
> Still considering the scanreg /restore option, I'm intrigued as to
> why there were no restore points shown.
>
> If possible, take a look, using DOS at your c:\Windows\sysbckup
> folder and see if any of the (5) rbxxx.cab files are still there.
>
> see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306482
> and the Resolution section, for my reasoning.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:25:27 PM

To lose the trojans (and before I did that this a machine was a mess -
loads of messages about low memory and nothing would run) I used
Spyware Doctor, which seems to be pretty good. When I booted up after
that all seemed fine, until I messed about with the password login.

For late comers, can I mention that I've also had a problem with the
dialup connection, which doesn't want to connect and then leaves the
phone line engaged.

Windows\sysbckup - the only thing visible in there is NT1003.SYS, 3768
bytes.

_Restore\Archive - plenty of FS*.CAB files - and RG1120~1.CAB and
RG1120~2.CAB.

Could you tell me how to limit a DIR to show info in pages? Is that a
/p switch?

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:36:35 PM

<generic>
DIR *.* /p
will show all files/folders in the current directory- paged

DIR *. /p
will show only folders (paged if necessary)

DIR *. /p /s
will show the (paged) hierarchy of folders downwards from the current
directory

DIR x:\xxxxxx /p
will show the files and folders (paged) in the folder xxxxxx on the drive x:
etc.......

</generic>

HTH

--

> To lose the trojans (and before I did that this a machine was a mess -
> loads of messages about low memory and nothing would run) I used Spyware
> Doctor, which seems to be pretty good. When I booted up after that all
> seemed fine, until I messed about with the password login.
>
> For late comers, can I mention that I've also had a problem with the
> dialup connection, which doesn't want to connect and then leaves the phone
> line engaged.
>
> Windows\sysbckup - the only thing visible in there is NT1003.SYS, 3768
> bytes.
>
> _Restore\Archive - plenty of FS*.CAB files - and RG1120~1.CAB and
> RG1120~2.CAB.
>
> Could you tell me how to limit a DIR to show info in pages? Is that a /p
> switch?
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:44:03 PM

> Could you tell me how to limit a DIR to show info in pages? Is that a
> /p switch?

Yes. You can use DIR /? to see the switches available.

Since you say that System Restore doesn't work and you have no backed up
copies of the registry in windows\sysbckup which should contain by default
5 rb00?.cab files, post back if you want me to try and explain how to use
an RG cab file to restore your registry to the state it was in at the time
the cab file was created.

BTW the most common reason for their being no rb*.cab files in
windows\sysbckup is because for some reason the ScanRegistry entry in
MSConfig | Startup has been unchecked.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

David Brear <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote:

> To lose the trojans (and before I did that this a machine was a mess -
> loads of messages about low memory and nothing would run) I used
> Spyware Doctor, which seems to be pretty good. When I booted up after
> that all seemed fine, until I messed about with the password login.
>
> For late comers, can I mention that I've also had a problem with the
> dialup connection, which doesn't want to connect and then leaves the
> phone line engaged.
>
> Windows\sysbckup - the only thing visible in there is NT1003.SYS, 3768
> bytes.
>
> _Restore\Archive - plenty of FS*.CAB files - and RG1120~1.CAB and
> RG1120~2.CAB.
>
> Could you tell me how to limit a DIR to show info in pages? Is that a
> /p switch?
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:58:10 PM

As usual, thanks.

I don't think that restoring from the RG cab files would do it, Mike.
They're both dated yesterday evening, after the problem became
evident. Or am I wrong?

So will I have to reinstall Windows? - and will that probably solve
the problem? - and is there anything I should know about doing that? -
and do I just have to run D:\setupexe from the DOS prompt?

You weren't doing anything anyway now Federer has won, were you?

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:20:45 PM

David Brear <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote:

> As usual, thanks.
>
> I don't think that restoring from the RG cab files would do it, Mike.
> They're both dated yesterday evening, after the problem became
> evident. Or am I wrong?
>
> So will I have to reinstall Windows? - and will that probably solve
> the problem? - and is there anything I should know about doing that? -
> and do I just have to run D:\setupexe from the DOS prompt?

D: being what? Do you intend reinstalling Win Me over itself or clean
installing? If the latter then you need to format the C: drive first. If
the former then you need to try and clear the way first by removing WMP9
and IE6 if Win Me had been upgraded to either. Removing WMP9 to allow
WMP7 included within Win Me is easy, all that is required is to delete or
rename the file wmploc.dll however getting rid of IE6 so as to allow IE5.5
that is included in Win Me to successfully install is another matter
entirely. Noel Paton has some notes that might be of help here at
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm and
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/ReInIE.htm

> You weren't doing anything anyway now Federer has won, were you?

Sorry but have no interest in Tennis or Wimbledon regardless of who's
playing. :-)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

D: is the CDRom on this machine.

I suppose it would be better to try reinstalling over the existing
Windows initially - seems safer. Thanks for the references - they'll
be useful.

If you hear any screams ...

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 10:14:56 PM

David,

Please note that the CD drive after booting with a startup floppy will be E:
(not D:) .

As Mike posted, you must uninstall IE and WMP9, before trying a reinstall of
WinME.

You can trick setup, doing this from DOS:

Bootup with a startup disk and at the A:> prompt type (note the spaces):

REN C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1 OLDINT

Press enter. Then type:

REN C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~1 OLDWMP

Press enter. Then type:

REN C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMPLOC.DLL WMPLOC.OLD

Press enter.

If you manage all changes without errors, try the reinstall to C:\Windows.

If not, please post back.

Good luck.

Zee

P.S.: if your keyboard doesn't have the tilde (~), do this in DOS: Press ALT
and type 0126.

> D: is the CDRom on this machine.
>
> I suppose it would be better to try reinstalling over the existing
> Windows initially - seems safer. Thanks for the references - they'll
> be useful.
>
> If you hear any screams ...
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 10:53:39 PM

Mike wrote :-

> BTW the most common reason for their being no rb*.cab files in
> windows\sysbckup is because for some reason the ScanRegistry entry in
> MSConfig | Startup has been unchecked.

Not the sort of thing that *most* people would do Mike, - at least, not
without very good reason - but do you know if there are malware/trojans
which could have triggered this to become unchecked? Or is it more likely
that they were flushed, for example in the clean-up process?

I seem to recall that it's not the first case - on these pages - where the
rb*.cab files have gone AWOL, but can't remember any follow-up discussions.

Mart

news:o vG1YY%23fFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Could you tell me how to limit a DIR to show info in pages? Is that a
>> /p switch?
>
> Yes. You can use DIR /? to see the switches available.
>
> Since you say that System Restore doesn't work and you have no backed up
> copies of the registry in windows\sysbckup which should contain by default
> 5 rb00?.cab files, post back if you want me to try and explain how to use
> an RG cab file to restore your registry to the state it was in at the time
> the cab file was created.
>
> BTW the most common reason for their being no rb*.cab files in
> windows\sysbckup is because for some reason the ScanRegistry entry in
> MSConfig | Startup has been unchecked.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> David Brear <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote:
>
>> To lose the trojans (and before I did that this a machine was a mess -
>> loads of messages about low memory and nothing would run) I used
>> Spyware Doctor, which seems to be pretty good. When I booted up after
>> that all seemed fine, until I messed about with the password login.
>>
>> For late comers, can I mention that I've also had a problem with the
>> dialup connection, which doesn't want to connect and then leaves the
>> phone line engaged.
>>
>> Windows\sysbckup - the only thing visible in there is NT1003.SYS, 3768
>> bytes.
>>
>> _Restore\Archive - plenty of FS*.CAB files - and RG1120~1.CAB and
>> RG1120~2.CAB.
>>
>> Could you tell me how to limit a DIR to show info in pages? Is that a
>> /p switch?

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:08:59 PM

Mart,

The most common reason I've seen for a user unchecking the ScanRegistry
entry in MSConfig | Startup is because scanreg is running each time they
reboot due to an "improper" shutdown. We both know that this isn't the
way to fix that problem but then again we aren't the ones unchecking
ScanRegistry. :-)

The other reason I see for unchecking ScanRegistry is users who also
uncheck the two PowerProfile entries and even the StateMgr entry as they
don't want anything to delay their bootup and interfere with their gaming.

Finally there are those who feel they simply don't need a windows\sysbckup
folder and delete it.

I'm unaware of any malware that removes this entry but that doesn't mean
that it doesn't exist. It possibly or even probably does.
--
Mike

Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

> Not the sort of thing that *most* people would do Mike, - at least,
> not without very good reason - but do you know if there are
> malware/trojans which could have triggered this to become unchecked?
> Or is it more likely that they were flushed, for example in the
> clean-up process?
> I seem to recall that it's not the first case - on these pages -
> where the rb*.cab files have gone AWOL, but can't remember any
> follow-up discussions.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:15:21 PM

Oh, right, E:.

I shouldn't need a registration number or anything for reinstalling
Windows, either way, should I? Anyway I don't think I've got one.

I had to activate XP when I got my own machine but that's not a
problem with ME, is it?

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:27:27 PM

David,

You should have the product/CD key, but you can also type this at the A:\>
prompt (exactly that):

C:\Windows\Command\Find /I "ProductKey" C:\Windows\System.dat

The first line of the screen dump will look like this:

ProductKey XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

where the X's are your current product/CD Key.

> Oh, right, E:.
>
> I shouldn't need a registration number or anything for reinstalling
> Windows, either way, should I? Anyway I don't think I've got one.
>
> I had to activate XP when I got my own machine but that's not a
> problem with ME, is it?
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:37:45 PM

LOL - Certainly can't disagree with any of that Mike.

> Finally there are those who feel they simply don't need a windows\sysbckup
> folder and delete it.

Who needs a life belt, anyway? <g>

Cheers Mike

Mart

> Mart,
>
> The most common reason I've seen for a user unchecking the ScanRegistry
> entry in MSConfig | Startup is because scanreg is running each time they
> reboot due to an "improper" shutdown. We both know that this isn't the
> way to fix that problem but then again we aren't the ones unchecking
> ScanRegistry. :-)
>
> The other reason I see for unchecking ScanRegistry is users who also
> uncheck the two PowerProfile entries and even the StateMgr entry as they
> don't want anything to delay their bootup and interfere with their gaming.
>
> Finally there are those who feel they simply don't need a windows\sysbckup
> folder and delete it.
>
> I'm unaware of any malware that removes this entry but that doesn't mean
> that it doesn't exist. It possibly or even probably does.
> --
> Mike
>

> Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Not the sort of thing that *most* people would do Mike, - at least,
>> not without very good reason - but do you know if there are
>> malware/trojans which could have triggered this to become unchecked?
>> Or is it more likely that they were flushed, for example in the
>> clean-up process?
>> I seem to recall that it's not the first case - on these pages -
>> where the rb*.cab files have gone AWOL, but can't remember any
>> follow-up discussions.

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:48:58 PM

I've been watching this discussion but I don't think it applies here.
My son wouldn't want to change anything dodgy in his machine and I
wouldn't know how to!

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:56:19 PM

David,

I wasn't suggesting that either you or your son had disabled the
ScanRegistry entry but rather giving a reason why you might have no
rb00?.cab files in the sysbckup folder. As Mart has said this might be
due to malware, I was just giving some other possible reasons how/why this
can happen.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

David Brear <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote:

> I've been watching this discussion but I don't think it applies here.
> My son wouldn't want to change anything dodgy in his machine and I
> wouldn't know how to!
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:00:22 AM

So, perhaps yours was cleared by either malware/trojan or flushing?

Either way, be sure to read Zee's last post regarding the salvaging of your
ProductKey [You WILL need it, even for a re-install (overinstall)] - and the
other posts regarding Noel's site.

Good luck

Mart

> I've been watching this discussion but I don't think it applies here. My
> son wouldn't want to change anything dodgy in his machine and I wouldn't
> know how to!
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:00:58 AM

Zee,

This is ridiculous. All I get is

-------- C:\Windows\System.dat

when I do that.

Sorry, you must think you've hooked some sort of idiot, but there it
is.

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:14:38 AM

David,

I fear the registry may be damaged to a point of non-return...

Here's a premade batch file that will get it for you from the Dos prompt.

Unzip it to your startup disk, boot to the A:\> prompt and simply type KEY
and press Enter.

Your will see your key after the words "ProductKey".

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/vic3/key.zip

See if this helps.

It works in my system.

Zee

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:o $7qRz$fFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> David,
>
> You should have the product/CD key, but you can also type this at the A:\>
> prompt (exactly that):
>
> C:\Windows\Command\Find /I "ProductKey" C:\Windows\System.dat
>
> The first line of the screen dump will look like this:
>
> ProductKey XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
>
> where the X's are your current product/CD Key.
>
> Zee
>

> "David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message
> > Oh, right, E:.
> >
> > I shouldn't need a registration number or anything for reinstalling
> > Windows, either way, should I? Anyway I don't think I've got one.
> >
> > I had to activate XP when I got my own machine but that's not a
> > problem with ME, is it?
> >
> > --
> > David Brear
> >
> > Habitat
> > http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> > Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:40:40 AM

Zee, if the system.dat (and probably all the other registry files) is
damaged/missing then goodness knows whatever state the rest of the HDD is in
and what other files are missing. A clean install is probably now David's
only feasible/realistic option.

However, unless or until David is able to salvage the ProductKey he's up the
Sewanee without a paddle.

My guess is that his only hope is to try to retrieve it from (any) one of
the RG*.CAB files in C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE to which Mike referred to earlier.
I'm sure Mike has a 'stock' strategy to extract the information (I don't
have a working WinMe box here to try) - even if it means David temporarily
hooking the old drive up to his XP box <g>

And David, if/when you do get the ProductKey, please write it onto your
WinMe CD with a decent marker pen <g>

Mart

> David,
>
> I fear the registry may be damaged to a point of non-return...
>
> Here's a premade batch file that will get it for you from the Dos prompt.
>
> Unzip it to your startup disk, boot to the A:\> prompt and simply type KEY
> and press Enter.
>
> Your will see your key after the words "ProductKey".
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/va3/vic3/key.zip
>
> See if this helps.
>
> It works in my system.
>
> Zee
>

> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:o $7qRz$fFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>
>> David,
>>
>> You should have the product/CD key, but you can also type this at the
>> A:\>
>> prompt (exactly that):
>>
>> C:\Windows\Command\Find /I "ProductKey" C:\Windows\System.dat
>>
>> The first line of the screen dump will look like this:
>>
>> ProductKey XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
>>
>> where the X's are your current product/CD Key.
>>
>> Zee
>>

>> "David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> > Oh, right, E:.
>> >
>> > I shouldn't need a registration number or anything for reinstalling
>> > Windows, either way, should I? Anyway I don't think I've got one.
>> >
>> > I had to activate XP when I got my own machine but that's not a
>> > problem with ME, is it?
>> >
>> > --
>> > David Brear
>> >
>> > Habitat
>> > http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
>> > Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:13:47 AM

Zee,

Very sorry, all I get is -------- C:\Windows\System.dat when I run the
batch file.

You guys are so helpful. Please know that I do appreciate all the
trouble you have taken. You must have better things to do than help me
out!

I'm going to take a rest from this now and I suggest you do the same.
I'll try a reinstall without the key and if that doesn't work, well,
life's too short, etc.

Thanks.

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:16:58 AM

NOW HERE'S A THOUGHT. THE KEY WOULDN'T BE THAT LONG LIST OF LETTERS
AND NUMBERS ON A STICKER ON THE SIDE OF THE BOX, WOULD IT?

Of course it would. How could I be so stupid?

Just practice, I suppose.

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:29:20 AM

David,

The registry is totally messed up.

Suggest a format and reinstall, unless anyone else has new ideas...??

> Zee,
>
> Very sorry, all I get is -------- C:\Windows\System.dat when I run the
> batch file.
>
> You guys are so helpful. Please know that I do appreciate all the
> trouble you have taken. You must have better things to do than help me
> out!
>
> I'm going to take a rest from this now and I suggest you do the same.
> I'll try a reinstall without the key and if that doesn't work, well,
> life's too short, etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:31:33 AM

I would agree Zee, especially as David has now found the ProductKey <g>

The only proviso being that IF there is any vital data on the HDD, then be
sure to try to copy it to floppies etc., or somewhere safe (hook it to the
XP box if necessary) before you format it.

Mart

> David,
>
> The registry is totally messed up.
>
> Suggest a format and reinstall, unless anyone else has new ideas...??
>
> Zee
>

> "David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> Zee,
>>
>> Very sorry, all I get is -------- C:\Windows\System.dat when I run the
>> batch file.
>>
>> You guys are so helpful. Please know that I do appreciate all the
>> trouble you have taken. You must have better things to do than help me
>> out!
>>
>> I'm going to take a rest from this now and I suggest you do the same.
>> I'll try a reinstall without the key and if that doesn't work, well,
>> life's too short, etc.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> David Brear
>>
>> Habitat
>> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
>> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:10:44 PM

Just to update all you kind gentlemen - I've reinstalled Windows
without formatting and all seems well.

Now, if you could take a look at the new thread 'Dialup problem', I'd
be really grateful!

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:15:10 PM

David,

Well done!

Zee

"David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message news:42c97b94$0$13705$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> Just to update all you kind gentlemen - I've reinstalled Windows
> without formatting and all seems well.
>
> Now, if you could take a look at the new thread 'Dialup problem', I'd
> be really grateful!
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:49:16 PM

WTG, David! - I'll pop over and see what you're up to now......

--

!