WinMe Explorer grinds to a halt after many-many-many folde..

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night

I am constantly having to reboot WinMe here due to a high level of
maintenance (rearrangement) activity on my 3 HDD's.
I'm moving/copying folders and folders and folders and folders (!)
from one place to another [to split things between this and a second
PC] but after doing a lot of folder maintenance
(creation/rename/deletion) Explorer just takes in commands (like a
double-click to open a folder) and just sits there for up to 5 minutes
doing nothing (to the external eye).
A three-finger shuffle shows the Explorer task (with the folder name)
as "not responding".
The only solution that works after this is a reboot. And sometimes
this reboot has to be a one-finger push (the reset button).

Do I just have TOO many folders and files for WinMe?
Current situation is:

C: 3235 folders, 72036 files 20GB, FAT32 16K clusters
D: 1408 folders, 48184 files 40GB, FAT32 32K clusters
E: 352 folders, 27069 files 10GB, FAT32 8K clusters

Anyone seen anything like this before in WinMe?

TIA

--
paulo
- off to the beach, so no rush with replies :-)

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 08:55:32 -0300, paulo_v@coldmail.com wrote:

    > Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night
    >
    > I am constantly having to reboot WinMe here due to a high level of
    > maintenance (rearrangement) activity on my 3 HDD's.

    <snip>

    > Do I just have TOO many folders and files for WinMe?
    > Current situation is:
    >
    > C: 3235 folders, 72036 files 20GB, FAT32 16K clusters
    > D: 1408 folders, 48184 files 40GB, FAT32 32K clusters
    > E: 352 folders, 27069 files 10GB, FAT32 8K clusters
    >
    > Anyone seen anything like this before in WinMe?
    >
    > TIA

    I have more folders, and files, on my C: drive (physically 20GBytes),and on
    my F: drive (39GBytes of a 40GByte drive). I have only seen that problem
    when resources get too low; say, 10%, or so. Usually it is the user
    resources.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:24:37 -0700, "N. Miller"

    >I have more folders, and files, on my C: drive (physically 20GBytes),and on
    >my F: drive (39GBytes of a 40GByte drive). I have only seen that problem
    >when resources get too low; say, 10%, or so. Usually it is the user
    >resources.

    Thanks Norman.

    I will try and check that one out the next time Explorer grinds to a
    halt.

    Do you think that the Win Resource Meter utility is sufficient to pick
    up the problem?

    --
    paulo

    You could possibly also be seeing the effects of Win Me's system restore
    archiving copies all changed or deleted files in the _RESTORE folder on
    the C: drive rather than on the drive where the original was located.
    Whether this is a factor or not does depend to some degree on the file
    extensions of the files involved.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:23:50 +0100, "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
    wrote:

    >You could possibly also be seeing the effects of Win Me's system restore
    >archiving copies all changed or deleted files in the _RESTORE folder on
    >the C: drive rather than on the drive where the original was located.
    >Whether this is a factor or not does depend to some degree on the file
    >extensions of the files involved.

    Tks Mike.

    My C: Restore folder is currently 243Mb.

    The majority of the files in question are JPG's from digital photo
    work.

    Are you saying that Win keeps a copy of ALL files deleted in the
    Restore folder?
    Would this be EVEN after they have been removed from the Recycle Binn
    (or deleted directly)?

    --
    paulo
    - had lunch, off to the beach again.

    paulo_v@coldmail.com <paulo_v@coldmail.com> wrote:

    > My C: Restore folder is currently 243Mb.
    >
    > The majority of the files in question are JPG's from digital photo
    > work.
    >
    > Are you saying that Win keeps a copy of ALL files deleted in the
    > Restore folder?

    Paulo,

    No, only those with a monitored file extensions and located in a monitored
    area - effectively everywhere other than Temp & TIF folders and the My
    Documents object including sub-folders. For details of the 800+ files
    protected by Win Me's system file protection mechanism and 570+ file
    extensions monitored by system restore as well as locations excluded from
    system restore's embrace see the file FileList.xml in the folder
    C:\Windows\System\Restore

    > Would this be EVEN after they have been removed from the Recycle Bin
    > (or deleted directly)?

    Yes, since that is the purpose of system restore, namely to allow the user
    to return to an earlier point in time but note this is only for system
    related files not data such as doc, wav, jpg, eml, dat, dbx, mp3, avi,
    ppt, xls, etc., etc.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    I suspect your problem may relate to the number of files in any single
    folder. My experience is that large no.s cause Win ME's Explorer the
    problems you describe. It's the main reason I almost exclusively use XP
    these days. I too work with large no.s of .jpgs. Were I still using ME
    extensively I'd reboot from time to time simply to recover the system
    *before* it froze.

    Shane

    Shane wrote:
    > I suspect your problem may relate to the number of files in any single
    > folder. My experience is that large no.s cause Win ME's Explorer the
    > problems you describe. It's the main reason I almost exclusively use XP
    > these days. I too work with large no.s of .jpgs. Were I still using ME
    > extensively I'd reboot from time to time simply to recover the system
    > *before* it froze.

    and note that it's the IE6 upgrade that often causes problems vis-a-vis
    Windows Explorer and large numbers of files.

    Rick

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 18:31:45 +0100, "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I suspect your problem may relate to the number of files in any single
    >folder. My experience is that large no.s cause Win ME's Explorer the
    >problems you describe. It's the main reason I almost exclusively use XP
    >these days. I too work with large no.s of .jpgs. Were I still using ME
    >extensively I'd reboot from time to time simply to recover the system
    >*before* it froze.
    >
    >Shane

    AhA!

    Someone who had the same, or at least a similar, problem!

    Tks very much Shane.

    Unfortunately the XP option is not open to me cos my little machine
    here would give up the ghost if I tried to XP with it :-(

    No way out of it - or constant reboots or give up going to the beach
    ;-)

    Although I do have a feeling that it's not exactly related to the
    number of files that I have in the folder that I'm working on cos at
    times it "freezes" when I'm trying to create a new folder.

    But it's "nice" to konw that someone, somewhere, is going thru / has
    gone thru the same problem.

    'God! It's good to talk!"

    Tks very much, Shane.

    --
    paulo

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:21:45 -0400, Rick T
    <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >and note that it's the IE6 upgrade that often causes problems vis-a-vis
    >Windows Explorer and large numbers of files.
    >

    >Rick

    Yer got it!

    I installed IE6 some time ago.
    I had LOTS of problems with it = Norton AV update wouldn't run, other
    things went hay-wire, etc.

    Had to take it out and drop back to 5.50 :-(

    But it never came out completely :-(

    From that day on I can't print from within IE (5.50):

    "An error has occured on the script on this page"
    "Error: invalid argument"

    And now thinking about it the Explorer folder problem must have
    started at the same time as I upgraded to 6.0 - and continues after
    "semi-downgrading" to 5.50 :-(

    Such is life :-(

    --
    paulo

    Well, I suspect Norton's problem is Norton.

    Rick

    paulo_v@coldmail.com wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:21:45 -0400, Rick T
    > <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>and note that it's the IE6 upgrade that often causes problems vis-a-vis
    >>Windows Explorer and large numbers of files.
    >>

    >>Rick
    >>

    > Yer got it!
    >
    > I installed IE6 some time ago.
    > I had LOTS of problems with it = Norton AV update wouldn't run, other
    > things went hay-wire, etc.
    >
    > Had to take it out and drop back to 5.50 :-(
    >
    > But it never came out completely :-(
    >
    > From that day on I can't print from within IE (5.50):
    >
    > "An error has occured on the script on this page"
    > "Error: invalid argument"
    >
    > And now thinking about it the Explorer folder problem must have
    > started at the same time as I upgraded to 6.0 - and continues after
    > "semi-downgrading" to 5.50 :-(
    >
    > Such is life :-(
    >
    > --
    > paulo

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:15:56 -0400, Rick T
    <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Well, I suspect Norton's problem is Norton.
    >

    >Rick

    Do you think that taking Norton AV out could help?

    And,....

    <here we go - the war begins>

    if I did so what would you recommend in it's place?

    <duck out quick - shells will start to fly>

    --
    paulo

    Norton is the single biggest cause of visits to these groups for help.

    Do yourself a favour and uninstall it.

    What to use instead? AVG works for me - and ME! Avast is also recommended
    by many.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:15:56 -0400, Rick T
    > <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I suspect Norton's problem is Norton.
    >>

    >>Rick
    >>

    > Do you think that taking Norton AV out could help?
    >
    > And,....
    >
    > <here we go - the war begins>
    >
    > if I did so what would you recommend in it's place?
    >
    > <duck out quick - shells will start to fly>
    >
    > --
    > paulo

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 21:10:29 +0100, "Noel Paton"
    <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    >Norton is the single biggest cause of visits to these groups for help.
    >
    >Do yourself a favour and uninstall it.
    >
    >What to use instead? AVG works for me - and ME! Avast is also recommended
    >by many.

    Thank You. Will do so. Off I go to find it.
    --
    paulo

Explorer Windows