BillB

I bought a P4 CPU/ mainboard at Frys here in vegas and plugged it into my
P3 case and, as I later found out, it would not work becaue the PS is not
designed for it.

So I went to PCClub, where I bought most of the last machine, and which was
on the way home anyway, and asked about getting a new power supply. Well,
the case didn't add much to the cost so I bought a new case and PS, a
codegen something or other, reg 69.99 mgr special that day at 55 plus tax.

Well I hooked up all the stuff and it all works fine. So, did I damage
anything. the PCclub guy told me in all likelihood the mainboard and CPU
were ruined.

But it is working as evidenced by the message I'm typing on it right now.
But the guy said the capacitors would be fried.

Well, what do you experts think?? Thanks.

JohnS

No. It just won't start the P4 because of the missing
connector. If the supply is 250 watts or better, and
you get a P4 adapter for one of the 4 pin connectors,
that will work fine.

johns

In article <d0ftk0$bq2$1@news.chatlink.com>, billb says...
> I bought a P4 CPU/ mainboard at Frys here in vegas and plugged it into my
> P3 case and, as I later found out, it would not work becaue the PS is not
> designed for it.
>
> So I went to PCClub, where I bought most of the last machine, and which was
> on the way home anyway, and asked about getting a new power supply. Well,
> the case didn't add much to the cost so I bought a new case and PS, a
> codegen something or other, reg 69.99 mgr special that day at 55 plus tax.
>
> Well I hooked up all the stuff and it all works fine. So, did I damage
> anything. the PCclub guy told me in all likelihood the mainboard and CPU
> were ruined.
>
> But it is working as evidenced by the message I'm typing on it right now.
> But the guy said the capacitors would be fried.
>
> Well, what do you experts think?? Thanks.

I think the guy at PC Club is a moron.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

"Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
> In article <d0ftk0$bq2$1@news.chatlink.com>, billb says...
>> I bought a P4 CPU/ mainboard at Frys here in vegas and plugged it into
>> my
>> P3 case and, as I later found out, it would not work becaue the PS is not
>> designed for it.
>>
>> So I went to PCClub, where I bought most of the last machine, and which
>> was
>> on the way home anyway, and asked about getting a new power supply.
>> Well,
>> the case didn't add much to the cost so I bought a new case and PS, a
>> codegen something or other, reg 69.99 mgr special that day at 55 plus
>> tax.
>>
>> Well I hooked up all the stuff and it all works fine. So, did I damage
>> anything. the PCclub guy told me in all likelihood the mainboard and CPU
>> were ruined.
>>
>> But it is working as evidenced by the message I'm typing on it right now.
>> But the guy said the capacitors would be fried.
>>
>> Well, what do you experts think?? Thanks.
>>
> I think the guy at PC Club is a moron.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only difference between a PS for a P4
and a PIII the 2x2 twelve volt line?

MC

ModeratelyConfused wrote:

> "Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
>
>>In article <d0ftk0$bq2$1@news.chatlink.com>, billb says...
>>
>>> I bought a P4 CPU/ mainboard at Frys here in vegas and plugged it into
>>>my
>>>P3 case and, as I later found out, it would not work becaue the PS is not
>>>designed for it.
>>>
>>>So I went to PCClub, where I bought most of the last machine, and which
>>>was
>>>on the way home anyway, and asked about getting a new power supply.
>>>Well,
>>>the case didn't add much to the cost so I bought a new case and PS, a
>>>codegen something or other, reg 69.99 mgr special that day at 55 plus
>>>tax.
>>>
>>>Well I hooked up all the stuff and it all works fine. So, did I damage
>>>anything. the PCclub guy told me in all likelihood the mainboard and CPU
>>>were ruined.
>>>
>>>But it is working as evidenced by the message I'm typing on it right now.
>>>But the guy said the capacitors would be fried.
>>>
>>>Well, what do you experts think?? Thanks.
>>>

>>I think the guy at PC Club is a moron.
>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only difference between a PS for a P4
> and a PIII the 2x2 twelve volt line?
>
> MC

A P4 PSU will, generally, also have more power capacity on the 12 volt rail
and, because of that, a P3 PSU will often not have enough to power a P4
even if one has an adapter.

billb wrote:
> I bought a P4 CPU/ mainboard at Frys here in vegas and plugged it into my
> P3 case and, as I later found out, it would not work becaue the PS is not
> designed for it.
>
> So I went to PCClub, where I bought most of the last machine, and which was
> on the way home anyway, and asked about getting a new power supply. Well,
> the case didn't add much to the cost so I bought a new case and PS, a
> codegen something or other, reg 69.99 mgr special that day at 55 plus tax.
>
> Well I hooked up all the stuff and it all works fine. So, did I damage
> anything. the PCclub guy told me in all likelihood the mainboard and CPU
> were ruined.

He's a twit. Don't ever trust retail staff at those places.

> But it is working as evidenced by the message I'm typing on it right now.
> But the guy said the capacitors would be fried.

Why? Because your old PSU didn't have a little 4 pin plug? The guy was a
twit.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

billb wrote:

> I bought a P4 CPU/ mainboard at Frys here in vegas and plugged
> it into my P3 case and, as I later found out, it would not work
> becaue the PS is not designed for it.
>
> So I went to PCClub,
> and asked about getting a new power supply.
> I bought a new case and PS, a codegen something or other,
> reg 69.99 mgr special that day at 55 plus tax.
>
> Well I hooked up all the stuff and it all works fine. So, did
> I damage anything. the PCclub guy told me in all likelihood
> the mainboard and CPU were ruined.

The PCClub guy also sold you a (eeech!) Codegen PSU, one of the worst
out there, and for $55 you can often get a quality PSU and case (or a
cheap case & PSU and a quality PSU to replace it). A good 350W PSU is
usually better than a cheapo 550W.

The only damage that running a P4 style mobo from a P3 style PSU can do
is cause the pin for the yellow +12V wire on the 20-pin mobo connector
to melt or char because of too much current flowing through it.

BillB

> The PCClub guy also sold you a (eeech!) Codegen PSU, one of the worst
> out there,

we're lambs to the slaughter out here.

and for $55 you can often get a quality PSU and case (or a
> cheap case & PSU and a quality PSU to replace it).

Where?

billb wrote:

> and for $55 you can often get a quality PSU and case (or a
> > cheap case & PSU and a quality PSU to replace it).
>
> Where?

Didn't Fry's have an Antec for about that price? Otherwise try
Newegg.com or Dealsonic.com for a cheap case and Newegg.com or
Directron.com for a good Fortron-Source PSU (Sparkle, Hi-Q, PowerQ).