comctl32.dll

My WindowsME is behaving rather erratically, and I wonder if it hasn't got
to do with the captioned DLL.

When clicking properties, my computer tells me that my version, 5.81, is for
Windows 2000.

About 50% of the time my machine halts on the initial login, not letting me
click past username and login.

(as an aside, I was told that I should have a username and password, else my
saved logins and passwords for web browsers won't work)

One of the time that it halted, the DLL listed was the only file running.

So, I can do some more research, just thought maybe this was a softball for
someone.

(Like I could go back to an earlier version and paste over)

Mr. Curios

[and if you want to lambaste me for not being more specific, go ahead]

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:53:25 -0400, "ng_reader"
<wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My WindowsME is behaving rather erratically, and I wonder if it hasn't got
>to do with the captioned DLL.
>
>When clicking properties, my computer tells me that my version, 5.81, is for
>Windows 2000.

My WinMe:
File Name: 5.81.4916.400
Product Version: 5.50.4916.400
Product Name: Microsoft(R) Windows (R) 2000 Operating System

comctl32.dll is protected by Win Me's system file protection so, unless
you have a copy in a folder other than windows\system the version you have
should be OK. The version that comes with Win Me is version 5.81 dated
June 2000 although the date will be later if you have updated Internet
Explorer.

> letting me click past username and login.

Not a good idea. Much better to instead use a blank password as this will
then allow you, as you say, to save logins and passwords for web pages and
the like.

See MS KB 152104 - "How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me
Logon Prompt at Startup" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=152104).

Basically you need to change to using Windows Logon in Control Panel |
Network. Then when you next log on don't enter a password (leave blank)
and click OK. If you've already allocated a password, logon and then
delete or better rename the password file in the Windows folder - this is
a file whose name is your logon name with a pwl extension.

Don't click Cancel or Escape as this will mean that you don't log on and
are instead what is called the Default User which means you won't be able
to save passwords and have access to certain features.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

ng_reader <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My WindowsME is behaving rather erratically, and I wonder if it
> hasn't got to do with the captioned DLL.
>
> When clicking properties, my computer tells me that my version, 5.81,
> is for Windows 2000.
>
> About 50% of the time my machine halts on the initial login, not
> letting me click past username and login.
>
> (as an aside, I was told that I should have a username and password,
> else my saved logins and passwords for web browsers won't work)
>
> One of the time that it halted, the DLL listed was the only file
> running.
>
> So, I can do some more research, just thought maybe this was a
> softball for someone.
>
> (Like I could go back to an earlier version and paste over)
>
> Mr. Curios
>
> [and if you want to lambaste me for not being more specific, go ahead]

Shane

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My WindowsME is behaving rather erratically, and I wonder if it hasn't got
> to do with the captioned DLL.
>
> When clicking properties, my computer tells me that my version, 5.81, is
> for
> Windows 2000.

Further to Paulo's observation, there are a great many files in Win ME that
the property sheet lists as being the Windows 2000 version. This is
perfectly normal. While I haven't gone into it, I imagine Microsoft simply
used versions previously developed for Windows 2000, when they constructed
Win ME, because the files are not, or not that, version-specific.

Shane

paulo_v@coldmail.com <paulo_v@coldmail.com> wrote:

> My WinMe:
> File Name: 5.81.4916.400
> Product Version: 5.50.4916.400
> Product Name: Microsoft(R) Windows (R) 2000 Operating System

I thought you were supposed to be at the beach today? Took your laptop
with you? <vbg>
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

> comctl32.dll is protected by Win Me's system file protection so, unless
> you have a copy in a folder other than windows\system the version you have
> should be OK. The version that comes with Win Me is version 5.81 dated
> June 2000 although the date will be later if you have updated Internet
> Explorer.
>
> > letting me click past username and login.
>
> Not a good idea. Much better to instead use a blank password as this will
> then allow you, as you say, to save logins and passwords for web pages and
> the like.
>
> See MS KB 152104 - "How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me
> Logon Prompt at Startup" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=152104).
>
> Basically you need to change to using Windows Logon in Control Panel |
> Network. Then when you next log on don't enter a password (leave blank)
> and click OK. If you've already allocated a password, logon and then
> delete or better rename the password file in the Windows folder - this is
> a file whose name is your logon name with a pwl extension.
>
> Don't click Cancel or Escape as this will mean that you don't log on and
> are instead what is called the Default User which means you won't be able
> to save passwords and have access to certain features.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

<snip>
Thanks MM.

I guess I could have been more specific. I have a login with a blank
password, already.

As for the situation, it seems to have gotten better.

(I still want to upgrade my OS, but doesn't everyone?)