Update for KB891711 runs at startup-Windows ME: Should it?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

Hello:

I notice that Security Update for Windows Me KB891711 runs at Startup as
per Msconfig and Spybot's Startup List tool.
It is also listed among the runnig processes.

In my WU installation History, I see two successful installations of this
update. One on March 12 and the other on April 14.

For the Kb891711.exe , I see:

File Version: 4.10.2223
Product Vesion: 4.10.2222

Should the Kb891711.exe be running at Startup? If not, is it safe to
disable it in Msconfig?

TIA

-Ira

Windows ME
3 answers Last reply
More about update kb891711 runs startup windows
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

    Do NOT disable KB891711 from starting otherwise you have entirely wasted
    your time in installing this critical patch which is essential to prevent
    various malicious exploits which are currently in the wild.

    It is also correct that you should see this patch as having been installed
    twice, The original version released on 8 March caused some users of
    Win9x systems such as Win Me severe problems with the result that
    Microsoft released an updated version on 12 April.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Ira <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote:

    > I notice that Security Update for Windows Me KB891711 runs at
    > Startup as per Msconfig and Spybot's Startup List tool.
    > It is also listed among the runnig processes.
    >
    > In my WU installation History, I see two successful installations of
    > this update. One on March 12 and the other on April 14.
    >
    > For the Kb891711.exe , I see:
    >
    > File Version: 4.10.2223
    > Product Vesion: 4.10.2222
    >
    > Should the Kb891711.exe be running at Startup? If not, is it safe to
    > disable it in Msconfig?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

    It's perfectly normal for this update to be running in the background all
    the time - leave it alone.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I notice that Security Update for Windows Me KB891711 runs at Startup as
    > per Msconfig and Spybot's Startup List tool.
    > It is also listed among the runnig processes.
    >
    > In my WU installation History, I see two successful installations of this
    > update. One on March 12 and the other on April 14.
    >
    > For the Kb891711.exe , I see:
    >
    > File Version: 4.10.2223
    > Product Vesion: 4.10.2222
    >
    > Should the Kb891711.exe be running at Startup? If not, is it safe to
    > disable it in Msconfig?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > -Ira
    >
    > Windows ME

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

    Thanks Mike and Noel....

    I'm going thru the running proceses and startup programs one by one to
    troubleshoot another issue...

    Much appreciated.

    -Ira
    ***********************************
    | It's perfectly normal for this update to be running in the background all
    | the time - leave it alone.
    |
    | --
    | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    |
    | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    | http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    |
    | http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    |
    | Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    |
    | "Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in message
    | > Hello:
    | >
    | > I notice that Security Update for Windows Me KB891711 runs at Startup
    as
    | > per Msconfig and Spybot's Startup List tool.
    | > It is also listed among the runnig processes.
    | >
    | > In my WU installation History, I see two successful installations of
    this
    | > update. One on March 12 and the other on April 14.
    | >
    | > For the Kb891711.exe , I see:
    | >
    | > File Version: 4.10.2223
    | > Product Vesion: 4.10.2222
    | >
    | > Should the Kb891711.exe be running at Startup? If not, is it safe to
    | > disable it in Msconfig?
    | >
    | > TIA
    | >
    | > -Ira
    | >
    | > Windows ME