Taming Windows 9x

"Taming Windows 9x": recommended?

Harry.

webster72n wrote:
> "Taming Windows 9x": recommended?
>
> Harry.

err... if you mean that's the title of a book, I'm sure most of the
stuff is available (and more up-to-date) here + rummaging through a
couple www sites (Aumha, Axcel216 f'rinstance). On the other hand hard
copy is nice to have around, and if you run out of kindling...

Rick

That's the name of the website, Rick:

Taming Windows 9x. (Google)

Harry.

"webster72n" wrote:
> "Taming Windows 9x": recommended?

Yes, Harry - Win 9x can be tamed.
What is the exact problem :)
Post it here of visit AumHa Forums, your choice.
<http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=5>

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Dangerous stuff there.

Empty the TEMP directory on reboot - will break many installers and cause
failed software installations.

The "System Integrity" section is wrong - it won't do anything unless you
have Norton Disk Doctor installed. Anyway, why run SCANDISK unless you need
to?

Write-behind caching on floppies? Yuck! Recipe for lost data.

Fixed swapfile settings? Very bad idea. I once watched a copy of Windows
eat itself and destroy a hard drive because of a fixed-size swapfile.

I quit reading at that point - no need to lose breakfast.

> That's the name of the website, Rick:
>
> Taming Windows 9x. (Google)
>
> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> webster72n wrote:
>> > "Taming Windows 9x": recommended?
>> >
>> > Harry.
>> >

>> err... if you mean that's the title of a book, I'm sure most of the
>> stuff is available (and more up-to-date) here + rummaging through a
>> couple www sites (Aumha, Axcel216 f'rinstance). On the other hand hard
>> copy is nice to have around, and if you run out of kindling...
>>

>> Rick

Richard, Rick Silj and Mart:

On the surface this sounds good but, looking into details, some question
marks came up.
I don't need to tame anything right now, just thought it might come in
handy.
Thanks for the link, Silj.
Surely appreciate your answers and will heed the advice.
Thank you all.

Harry.

Richard G. Harper wrote:
> Dangerous stuff there.
>
> Empty the TEMP directory on reboot - will break many installers and cause
> failed software installations.
>
> The "System Integrity" section is wrong - it won't do anything unless you
> have Norton Disk Doctor installed. Anyway, why run SCANDISK unless you need
> to?
>
> Write-behind caching on floppies? Yuck! Recipe for lost data.
>
> Fixed swapfile settings? Very bad idea. I once watched a copy of Windows
> eat itself and destroy a hard drive because of a fixed-size swapfile.

use half-fixed, myself (largeish fixed MIN...)

rpl

webster72n wrote:
> That's the name of the website, Rick:
>
> Taming Windows 9x. (Google)

? I'm not the one asking an opinion.

I "tamed" 9x as much as I needed (without putting too much effort into it)

Rick

> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>"Taming Windows 9x": recommended?
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>err... if you mean that's the title of a book, I'm sure most of the
>>stuff is available (and more up-to-date) here + rummaging through a
>>couple www sites (Aumha, Axcel216 f'rinstance). On the other hand hard
>>copy is nice to have around, and if you run out of kindling...
>>

>>Rick

Harry asked :-

> "Taming Windows 9x": recommended?

Harry, it's not so much that Win9x (or WinMe in particular) needs taming -
if you don't mess with it, it won't mess with you!

However, in my experience, I've had no serious problems here during the 9
years or so that I've been using Win9x, other than self inflicted ones.

Mart

Thought you were asking for that information, Rick,
that's all.

Harry.

> webster72n wrote:
> > That's the name of the website, Rick:
> >
> > Taming Windows 9x. (Google)
>
> ? I'm not the one asking an opinion.
>
> I "tamed" 9x as much as I needed (without putting too much effort into it)
>

> Rick
>

> > Harry.
> >

> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> >>err... if you mean that's the title of a book, I'm sure most of the
> >>stuff is available (and more up-to-date) here + rummaging through a
> >>couple www sites (Aumha, Axcel216 f'rinstance). On the other hand hard
> >>copy is nice to have around, and if you run out of kindling...
> >>

> >>Rick

Harry,

> On the surface this sounds good but ....

Ah! - there's always a 'but' <g>

> .... will heed the advice.

Can we quote/remind you, if/as/when necessary?

Good luck, Harry

Mart

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

>"Taming Windows 9x": recommended?
>
> Harry.

When referring to a website it is best to give the actual URL for that
site; which in this case is http://www.cyberdelix.net/tech/tamew9x.htm

As for the content, I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone,
even someone I really didn't like.

Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
which will cause serious problems with any and all program installs
and updates that require a restart to complete.

Putting the hard drive first in the boot drive sequence is another
ludicrous item, as that makes it impossible to boot from either a CD
or a diskette unless you first go into the BIOS setup and change the
boot drive sequence to a usable one.

The virtual memory items prove quite conclusively that the author has
absolutely no understanding of the purpose or the functioning of the
swap file in Windows 9x; including the fact that there are significant
differences between the various members of the 9x family so that
something that is optimal or reasonable for Windows 95 can be
inappropriate or even counter-productive if applied to Windows 98 or
Me; and vice versa.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Shane

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
>>"Taming Windows 9x": recommended?
>>
>> Harry.
>>

> When referring to a website it is best to give the actual URL for that
> site; which in this case is http://www.cyberdelix.net/tech/tamew9x.htm
>
> As for the content, I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone,
> even someone I really didn't like.
>
> Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
> problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
> which will cause serious problems with any and all program installs
> and updates that require a restart to complete.
>
> Putting the hard drive first in the boot drive sequence is another
> ludicrous item, as that makes it impossible to boot from either a CD
> or a diskette unless you first go into the BIOS setup and change the
> boot drive sequence to a usable one.

I agree with you entirely except for this bit, Ron. It isn't much trouble to
go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence. OK so the chance of infection
from bootable media left in the floppy or other drive is pretty slim, but if
other, less diligent, users have access to the machine, it seems a
worthwhile precaution to me.

Meanwhile, my Award BIOS - and surely more BIOSes these days (?) - enables
boot device selection on hitting (in this case) F9 prior to the boot record
search. So my boot device has been set to HD 1st for a couple of years now.

Shane

Ron Martell wrote:
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>

>>"Taming Windows 9x": recommended?

> When referring to a website it is best to give the actual URL for that
> site; which in this case is http://www.cyberdelix.net/tech/tamew9x.htm

Thanks, Ron

> As for the content, I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone,
> even someone I really didn't like.
>
> Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
> problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
> which will cause serious problems with any and all program installs
> and updates that require a restart to complete.

In a later section it's mentioned to check for occurence of winini,
though it doesn't for the section it should.

No real reason to put IE Temp in Temp (been there, done that, regretted it)

The "wipe" stuff can be done every once-in-a-while. Every time is just
waste of time.

Something's mentioned about shutting off STIMON (which I may find useful)

> Putting the hard drive first in the boot drive sequence is another
> ludicrous item, as that makes it impossible to boot from either a CD
> or a diskette unless you first go into the BIOS setup and change the
> boot drive sequence to a usable one.

Agreed, though some people's usage might make it a worthwhile thing to
do to prevent unwanted malware boots from floppy or CD.

> The virtual memory items prove quite conclusively that the author has
> absolutely no understanding of the purpose or the functioning of the
> swap file in Windows 9x; including the fact that there are significant
> differences between the various members of the 9x family so that
> something that is optimal or reasonable for Windows 95 can be
> inappropriate or even counter-productive if applied to Windows 98 or
> Me; and vice versa.

128MB's reasonable for a vCache Min if you have >=384MB RAM

Rick

Ron:

With this response I have no problem to assess the situation.
Thanks to you, Shane, Rick and all.

Harry.

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> >"Taming Windows 9x": recommended?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> When referring to a website it is best to give the actual URL for that
> site; which in this case is http://www.cyberdelix.net/tech/tamew9x.htm
>
> As for the content, I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone,
> even someone I really didn't like.
>
> Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
> problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
> which will cause serious problems with any and all program installs
> and updates that require a restart to complete.
>
> Putting the hard drive first in the boot drive sequence is another
> ludicrous item, as that makes it impossible to boot from either a CD
> or a diskette unless you first go into the BIOS setup and change the
> boot drive sequence to a usable one.
>
> The virtual memory items prove quite conclusively that the author has
> absolutely no understanding of the purpose or the functioning of the
> swap file in Windows 9x; including the fact that there are significant
> differences between the various members of the 9x family so that
> something that is optimal or reasonable for Windows 95 can be
> inappropriate or even counter-productive if applied to Windows 98 or
> Me; and vice versa.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron:

Reading this thread, I wondered...can you shed some light pls.

You wrote:
"Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
which will cause serious problems with any and all program installs
and updates that require a restart to complete."

Would that apply to Temporary Internet files??: r.c. IE|Properties|Advanced
> click "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed". Tks
Paul
--
cogito ergo sum

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> >"Taming Windows 9x": recommended?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> When referring to a website it is best to give the actual URL for that
> site; which in this case is http://www.cyberdelix.net/tech/tamew9x.htm
>
> As for the content, I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone,
> even someone I really didn't like.
>
> Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
> problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
> which will cause serious problems with any and all program installs
> and updates that require a restart to complete.
>
> Putting the hard drive first in the boot drive sequence is another
> ludicrous item, as that makes it impossible to boot from either a CD
> or a diskette unless you first go into the BIOS setup and change the
> boot drive sequence to a usable one.
>
> The virtual memory items prove quite conclusively that the author has
> absolutely no understanding of the purpose or the functioning of the
> swap file in Windows 9x; including the fact that there are significant
> differences between the various members of the 9x family so that
> something that is optimal or reasonable for Windows 95 can be
> inappropriate or even counter-productive if applied to Windows 98 or
> Me; and vice versa.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

The problem arises when a program has to change system files that are
read-only *except* at Startup or that require a hardware reset, ie:

"You need to Restart your system for changes to take effect..."

Programs that require this, write a list of instructions to a file
called WININI.INI which Windows reads (if it exists) and executes before
putting a "lock" on some of the system files or system parameters.

Quite often those instructions refer to a temporary file that is (go
figger) in the TEMP folder.

So if you're going to delete your TEMP folder or it's contents, you
should reboot or at least be sure that nothing is going to be updated on
the next boot.

If you have an "autodelete TEMP at startup" as advocated in the first
section of that URL, then things are going to get botched up. Mind you
the third(?) section does mention something about checking the
winini.ini file but it's literally misplaced advice.

I don't think the TIF folder would affect it.

Rick (Pat)

PAT (Paul) wrote:
> Ron:
>
> Reading this thread, I wondered...can you shed some light pls.
>
> You wrote:
> "Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
> problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
> which will cause serious problems with any and all program installs
> and updates that require a restart to complete."
>
> Would that apply to Temporary Internet files??: r.c. IE|Properties|Advanced
>
>>click "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed". Tks
>
> Paul

Shutting down STIMON is only useful if you're not planning on using attached
scanners(etc) during the boot. - If the system is running fine,then ignore
any such BS!!

WRT vCache - that also BS - there may occasionally be reason to limit the
vcache to 70-odd% of available RAM (notwithstanding the known glitches over
512MB RAM) - but it's NEVER the first thing to do! I had a system that ran
fine with 384MB, with no tweaks whatever (and all sorts of dross installed!)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Noel Paton wrote:
> Shutting down STIMON is only useful if you're not planning on using attached
> scanners(etc) during the boot. - If the system is running fine,then ignore
> any such BS!!

stimon regulary used to show up in my Tasklist and I *don't* have
scanners(etc.) installed.

> WRT vCache - that also BS - there may occasionally be reason to limit the
> vcache to 70-odd% of available RAM (notwithstanding the known glitches over
> 512MB RAM) - but it's NEVER the first thing to do! I had a system that ran
> fine with 384MB, with no tweaks whatever (and all sorts of dross installed!)

My take, as posted, is to fix a MINIMUM size to limit swap fragmentation
with a free-ranging maximum.

Rick

Paul,

Temporary files here refers to the content of the, by default,
windows\temp folder and has nothing to do with TIF folder. The TIF folder
is not, or rather should not be, used during the installation or upgrading
of applications or drivers where the windows\temp folder is used as a
temporary location for files during the installation which often needs a
reboot after which further files in the temp folder are often used.
Deleting the temp folder when rebooting therefore breaks such installs and
upgrades.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Ron:
>
> Reading this thread, I wondered...can you shed some light pls.
>
> You wrote:
> "Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
> problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
> which will cause serious problems with any and all program installs
> and updates that require a restart to complete."
>
> Would that apply to Temporary Internet files??: r.c.
> IE|Properties|Advanced | click "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
> when browser is closed

Shane

> The problem arises when a program has to change system files that are
> read-only *except* at Startup or that require a hardware reset, ie:
>
> "You need to Restart your system for changes to take effect..."

Mostly due to being constantly in use when Windows is running.

> Programs that require this, write a list of instructions to a file called
> WININI.INI which Windows reads (if it exists) and executes before putting
> a "lock" on some of the system files or system parameters.
>
> Quite often those instructions refer to a temporary file that is (go
> figger) in the TEMP folder.
>
> So if you're going to delete your TEMP folder or it's contents, you should
> reboot or at least be sure that nothing is going to be updated on the next
> boot.
>
> If you have an "autodelete TEMP at startup" as advocated in the first
> section of that URL, then things are going to get botched up. Mind you

I run a batch at Startup that compares the date with that at the previous
boot. If different, it runs various stuff, inc. EmptyTempFolders. So, at
only first boot of the day temp folders are emptied. Also, the batch runs
from programs\startup, by which time wininit.ini has done it's stuff.

> the third(?) section does mention something about checking the winini.ini
> file but it's literally misplaced advice.

So, before every shutdown, check wininit.ini! ROFL!

> I don't think the TIF folder would affect it.

Anything running from TIF at boot is malware!

Shane (Methuselah, son of Figgs)

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > The problem arises when a program has to change system files that are
> > read-only *except* at Startup or that require a hardware reset, ie:
> >
> > "You need to Restart your system for changes to take effect..."
> >

> Mostly due to being constantly in use when Windows is running.
>
> > Programs that require this, write a list of instructions to a file
called
> > WININI.INI which Windows reads (if it exists) and executes before
putting
> > a "lock" on some of the system files or system parameters.
> >
> > Quite often those instructions refer to a temporary file that is (go
> > figger) in the TEMP folder.
> >
> > So if you're going to delete your TEMP folder or it's contents, you
should
> > reboot or at least be sure that nothing is going to be updated on the
next
> > boot.
> >
> > If you have an "autodelete TEMP at startup" as advocated in the first
> > section of that URL, then things are going to get botched up. Mind you
>
> I run a batch at Startup that compares the date with that at the previous
> boot. If different, it runs various stuff, inc. EmptyTempFolders. So, at
> only first boot of the day temp folders are emptied. Also, the batch runs
> from programs\startup, by which time wininit.ini has done it's stuff.
>
> > the third(?) section does mention something about checking the
winini.ini
> > file but it's literally misplaced advice.
> >

> So, before every shutdown, check wininit.ini! ROFL!
>

> > I don't think the TIF folder would affect it.
>
> Anything running from TIF at boot is malware!

Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest, Shane, but I have some spray handy,
if needed. Harry.

> Shane (Methuselah, son of Figgs)
>

> > Rick (Pat)
> >

> > PAT (Paul) wrote:
> >> Ron: Reading this thread, I wondered...can you shed some light pls.
> >>
> >> You wrote:
> >> "Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
> >> problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
which
> >> will cause serious problems with any and all program installs and
updates
> >> that require a restart to complete." Would that apply to Temporary
> >> Internet files??: r.c. IE|Properties|Advanced
> >>
> >> Paul

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Noel Paton wrote:
>> Shutting down STIMON is only useful if you're not planning on using attached
>> scanners(etc) during the boot. - If the system is running fine,then ignore
>> any such BS!!
>
>stimon regulary used to show up in my Tasklist and I *don't* have
>scanners(etc.) installed.
>

>> WRT vCache - that also BS - there may occasionally be reason to limit the
>> vcache to 70-odd% of available RAM (notwithstanding the known glitches over
>> 512MB RAM) - but it's NEVER the first thing to do! I had a system that ran
>> fine with 384MB, with no tweaks whatever (and all sorts of dross installed!)
>>

>My take, as posted, is to fix a MINIMUM size to limit swap fragmentation
>with a free-ranging maximum.

vcache has nothing to do with swap file. vcache is the RAM used by
Windows as disk cache. Setting a minimum for this only guarantees
that Windows will always have that amount of RAM tied up for use as
disk cache, even when there may be better uses for at least some of
that RAM.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Anything running from TIF at boot is malware!

True, but TIF does have some value, and there are situations where
always clearing the TIF at startup can be counterproductive. The best
example of this would be for a user with a slow dial-up Internet
service (and I sometimes see posts from users who are on dialups with
9600 bps or slower connects).

For these users emptying the TIF means that they have to redownload
the entire content of web pages, including their IE Home Page, every
day. That can be timeconsuming, and dialup services typically bill by
the minute.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ron:
>
>Reading this thread, I wondered...can you shed some light pls.
>
>You wrote:
>"Some the items there are actually dangerous, and could cause serious
>problems, such as the one to delete all temporary files at startup
>which will cause serious problems with any and all program installs
>and updates that require a restart to complete."
>
>Would that apply to Temporary Internet files??: r.c. IE|Properties|Advanced
>> click "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed". Tks
> Paul

Rick T has handled the new installs aspect quite well. My comments
were with regard to the TEMP folder and did not apply to T.I.F.

But see my other response on this thread regarding deleting T.I.F. and
the possible impact this may have on users with dialup Internet
access.