HELP : Can't make ".reg" file work !

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi there,

I had a problem with ActiveSync but managed to find an answer to the
problem on the following Microsoft page :-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836152

I have followed the instructions on the Microsoft page to the letter !

I am using Windows ME and ActiveSync V3.8 Build 5004.

The problem is when I click on the ".reg" file which I created, as it
tells you to do in the instructions, (I called it "ActiveSync.reg")
and say "Yes, add to registry", I then get the Error Message telling
me :-
"The specified file is not a registry file. You can only import
registry files"

The Icon for the file looks correct for a registry file (I have used
this type of file before) ... any suggestions please as to what is the
matter ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

For one thing - that fix applies only to Windows XP (registry Editor version
5.00)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Steve" <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I had a problem with ActiveSync but managed to find an answer to the
> problem on the following Microsoft page :-
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836152
>
> I have followed the instructions on the Microsoft page to the letter !
>
> I am using Windows ME and ActiveSync V3.8 Build 5004.
>
> The problem is when I click on the ".reg" file which I created, as it
> tells you to do in the instructions, (I called it "ActiveSync.reg")
> and say "Yes, add to registry", I then get the Error Message telling
> me :-
> "The specified file is not a registry file. You can only import
> registry files"
>
> The Icon for the file looks correct for a registry file (I have used
> this type of file before) ... any suggestions please as to what is the
> matter ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve

Try changing the first line of the reg file you are creating to read:

REGEDIT4

The example in KB836152 is for a system running XP. Note that the last
line in the .reg file should be a blank line.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Steve <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I had a problem with ActiveSync but managed to find an answer to the
> problem on the following Microsoft page :-
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836152
>
> I have followed the instructions on the Microsoft page to the letter !
>
> I am using Windows ME and ActiveSync V3.8 Build 5004.
>
> The problem is when I click on the ".reg" file which I created, as it
> tells you to do in the instructions, (I called it "ActiveSync.reg")
> and say "Yes, add to registry", I then get the Error Message telling
> me :-
> "The specified file is not a registry file. You can only import
> registry files"
>
> The Icon for the file looks correct for a registry file (I have used
> this type of file before) ... any suggestions please as to what is the
> matter ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve

The formatting for a .reg file must be perfect.
The icon only means that it is associated with Regedit.
If you followed 836152, then it will be wrong for Win ME, as it is for
a different version.

Compare this file with yours and you will see the difference.

Make up a file from the lines below. Copy into a file called fix.reg
which should be created in Notepad. Do not retype, copy in case of
errors. The 1st line in the file is the line REGEDIT4
Make sure your mail or news reader does not add any spaces to the end
of a line.
Ensure the long line does not wrap at the space in Shell Extensions.
The last line must be blank.
Doubleclick fix.reg

-----copy below this line fix.reg------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell
Extensions\Approved]
"{49BF5420-FA7F-11cf-8011-00A0C90A8F78}"="Mobile Device"

---- end file above here

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, Steve