Java Download--for Windows ME

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 4, 2005 10:18:59 AM

Hello:

I presently have the Microsoft Version 1.1.4 of Java Technology. I'm told
this is an older version.

1) How compatible is the 5.0 version from Java .com :
http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
with Windows ME?

From there website, it seems it might be OK, but wondering how smoothly it
would function with this OS....

2) Is it necessary to uninstall anything prior to installing this? Or can it
simply be installed on top of what's already there?

I use Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 SP1

Thanks in advance:

Ira

More about : java download windows

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:32:28 PM

I'm running JRE 5.0 Update 4 from:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

No problems (yet...??) in WinME.

IMO, yes uninstall all JRE's before the update.

Zee

"Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in message news:emoMmIIgFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hello:
>
> I presently have the Microsoft Version 1.1.4 of Java Technology. I'm told
> this is an older version.
>
> 1) How compatible is the 5.0 version from Java .com :
> http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
> with Windows ME?
>
> From there website, it seems it might be OK, but wondering how smoothly it
> would function with this OS....
>
> 2) Is it necessary to uninstall anything prior to installing this? Or can it
> simply be installed on top of what's already there?
>
> I use Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 SP1
>
> Thanks in advance:
>
> Ira

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:32:29 PM

DEFINITELY uninstall any previous version of the Sun JRE/JSE. Any
previous version that has a vulnerability can be exploited by the "bad
guys ". Sun's auto update mechanism does not do so and they were
notified about this back in February.
According to their latest Security bulletin concerning their java
versions " Note: It is recommended that affected versions be removed
from your system. For more information, please see the installation
notes on the respective java.sun.com download pages. "
Going to the installation notes at java.sun.com there is NO mention of
uninstalling previous vulnerable versions. In fact, for the 1.4x JRE
package, they recommend NOT uninstalling on this page :
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/jre/install-windows.html
because " This new release will overwrite previous installations and
automatically update browsers to use this new release. "
What they fail to mention is that the previous, vulnerable version can
be called by malevolent scripts because it is still present on the
system in Program Files\Java.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

oops!! wrote:

> I'm running JRE 5.0 Update 4 from:
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
>
> No problems (yet...??) in WinME.
>
> IMO, yes uninstall all JRE's before the update.
>
> Zee
>

> "Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in message news:emoMmIIgFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
>>Hello:
>>
>>I presently have the Microsoft Version 1.1.4 of Java Technology. I'm told
>>this is an older version.
>>
>>1) How compatible is the 5.0 version from Java .com :
>>http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
>>with Windows ME?
>>
>>From there website, it seems it might be OK, but wondering how smoothly it
>>would function with this OS....
>>
>>2) Is it necessary to uninstall anything prior to installing this? Or can it
>>simply be installed on top of what's already there?
>>
>> I use Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 SP1
>>
>>Thanks in advance:
>>
>>Ira

July 4, 2005 7:17:51 PM

I believe that the only Java JRE I presently have installed is not Sun JRE
but a much earlier version by Microsoft: JAVA Technology 1.1.4

Not sure how to ascertain this. I got this info from a test provied for your
current version at that Java Sun site :
http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp

Would you still recommend an uninstall prior to upgrading from that site??

TIA

-Ira

**********************************
"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
| DEFINITELY uninstall any previous version of the Sun JRE/JSE. Any
| previous version that has a vulnerability can be exploited by the "bad
| guys ". Sun's auto update mechanism does not do so and they were
| notified about this back in February.
| According to their latest Security bulletin concerning their java
| versions " Note: It is recommended that affected versions be removed
| from your system. For more information, please see the installation
| notes on the respective java.sun.com download pages. "
| Going to the installation notes at java.sun.com there is NO mention of
| uninstalling previous vulnerable versions. In fact, for the 1.4x JRE
| package, they recommend NOT uninstalling on this page :
| http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/jre/install-windows.html
| because " This new release will overwrite previous installations and
| automatically update browsers to use this new release. "
| What they fail to mention is that the previous, vulnerable version can
| be called by malevolent scripts because it is still present on the
| system in Program Files\Java.
|
| MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
| ===============
| *-343-* FDNY
| Never Forgotten
| ===============
|

| oops!! wrote:
|
| > I'm running JRE 5.0 Update 4 from:
| >
| > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
| >
| > No problems (yet...??) in WinME.
| >
| > IMO, yes uninstall all JRE's before the update.
| >
| > Zee
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:30:27 AM

Sun Java and MSJava are two totally different things (almost)

to find out what version of MSJava you're currently running, open a DOS
window, and type "JVIEW"
hit the Enter key, and see what returns....
a fully updated system will give (as the top line)

"Microsoft (R) Command-line loader for Java Version 5.00.3810"

If you have any entries for Java in your Add/Remove Programs, then they are
NOT from MSJava - and should be 'removed' prior to the installation of the
latest Sun Java.

HTH

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

>I believe that the only Java JRE I presently have installed is not Sun JRE
> but a much earlier version by Microsoft: JAVA Technology 1.1.4
>
> Not sure how to ascertain this. I got this info from a test provied for
> your
> current version at that Java Sun site :
> http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
>
> Would you still recommend an uninstall prior to upgrading from that site??
>
> TIA
>
> -Ira
>
> **********************************
> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> | DEFINITELY uninstall any previous version of the Sun JRE/JSE. Any
> | previous version that has a vulnerability can be exploited by the "bad
> | guys ". Sun's auto update mechanism does not do so and they were
> | notified about this back in February.
> | According to their latest Security bulletin concerning their java
> | versions " Note: It is recommended that affected versions be removed
> | from your system. For more information, please see the installation
> | notes on the respective java.sun.com download pages. "
> | Going to the installation notes at java.sun.com there is NO mention of
> | uninstalling previous vulnerable versions. In fact, for the 1.4x JRE
> | package, they recommend NOT uninstalling on this page :
> | http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/jre/install-windows.html
> | because " This new release will overwrite previous installations and
> | automatically update browsers to use this new release. "
> | What they fail to mention is that the previous, vulnerable version can
> | be called by malevolent scripts because it is still present on the
> | system in Program Files\Java.
> |
> | MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
> | ===============
> | *-343-* FDNY
> | Never Forgotten
> | ===============
> |

> | oops!! wrote:
> |
> | > I'm running JRE 5.0 Update 4 from:
> | >
> | > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
> | >
> | > No problems (yet...??) in WinME.
> | >
> | > IMO, yes uninstall all JRE's before the update.
> | >
> | > Zee

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:30:28 AM

Noel writes:

<<<
a fully updated system will give (as the top line)

| "Microsoft (R) Command-line loader for Java Version 5.00.3810"

Yes, that's the reading I get at that DOS prompt.
I see no entries at all for Java--of any kind in my Add/Remove programs.

Would it be of use to install that upgraded Sun Java I referenced in my
original post?

Would it lead to any conflict with the MS Java I already have installed?

-Ira

***************************

news:o 38QR7MgFHA.3656@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| Sun Java and MSJava are two totally different things (almost)
|
| to find out what version of MSJava you're currently running, open a DOS
| window, and type "JVIEW"
| hit the Enter key, and see what returns....
| a fully updated system will give (as the top line)
|
| "Microsoft (R) Command-line loader for Java Version 5.00.3810"
|
| If you have any entries for Java in your Add/Remove Programs, then they
are
| NOT from MSJava - and should be 'removed' prior to the installation of the
| latest Sun Java.
|
| HTH
|
| --
| Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
|
| Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
| http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
|
| http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
|
| Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
|
| "Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in message
| >I believe that the only Java JRE I presently have installed is not Sun
JRE
| > but a much earlier version by Microsoft: JAVA Technology 1.1.4
| >
| > Not sure how to ascertain this. I got this info from a test provied for
| > your
| > current version at that Java Sun site :
| > http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
| >
| > Would you still recommend an uninstall prior to upgrading from that
site??

| > TIA
| >
| > -Ira
| >
| > **********************************
| > "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
| > | DEFINITELY uninstall any previous version of the Sun JRE/JSE. Any
| > | previous version that has a vulnerability can be exploited by the "bad
| > | guys ". Sun's auto update mechanism does not do so and they were
| > | notified about this back in February.
| > | According to their latest Security bulletin concerning their java
| > | versions " Note: It is recommended that affected versions be removed
| > | from your system. For more information, please see the installation
| > | notes on the respective java.sun.com download pages. "
| > | Going to the installation notes at java.sun.com there is NO mention of
| > | uninstalling previous vulnerable versions. In fact, for the 1.4x JRE
| > | package, they recommend NOT uninstalling on this page :
| > | http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/jre/install-windows.html
| > | because " This new release will overwrite previous installations and
| > | automatically update browsers to use this new release. "
| > | What they fail to mention is that the previous, vulnerable version can
| > | be called by malevolent scripts because it is still present on the
| > | system in Program Files\Java.
| > |
| > | MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
| > | ===============
| > | *-343-* FDNY
| > | Never Forgotten
| > | ===============

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:23:24 AM

You said earlier that you have Sun Java 1.14 installed - where do you see
this??

--

> Noel writes:
>
> <<<
> a fully updated system will give (as the top line)
> |
> | "Microsoft (R) Command-line loader for Java Version 5.00.3810"
> |

> Yes, that's the reading I get at that DOS prompt.
> I see no entries at all for Java--of any kind in my Add/Remove programs.
>
> Would it be of use to install that upgraded Sun Java I referenced in my
> original post?
>
> Would it lead to any conflict with the MS Java I already have installed?
>
> -Ira
>
> ***************************
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o 38QR7MgFHA.3656@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> | Sun Java and MSJava are two totally different things (almost)
> |
> | to find out what version of MSJava you're currently running, open a DOS
> | window, and type "JVIEW"
> | hit the Enter key, and see what returns....
> | a fully updated system will give (as the top line)
> |
> | "Microsoft (R) Command-line loader for Java Version 5.00.3810"
> |
> | If you have any entries for Java in your Add/Remove Programs, then they
> are
> | NOT from MSJava - and should be 'removed' prior to the installation of
> the
> | latest Sun Java.
> |
> | HTH
> |
> | --
> | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> |
> | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> | http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> |
> | http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> |
> | Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
> NG's
> |
> | "Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in message
> | >I believe that the only Java JRE I presently have installed is not Sun
> JRE
> | > but a much earlier version by Microsoft: JAVA Technology 1.1.4
> | >
> | > Not sure how to ascertain this. I got this info from a test provied
> for
> | > your
> | > current version at that Java Sun site :
> | > http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
> | >
> | > Would you still recommend an uninstall prior to upgrading from that
> site??
> | >
> | > TIA
> | >
> | > -Ira
> | >
> | > **********************************
> | > "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> "bad
> of
> can
> | > |

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:23:25 AM

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 22:23:24 +0100, Noel Paton wrote:

> You said earlier that you have Sun Java 1.14 installed - where do you see
> this??

He never said that. Alas, all this top posting has confused the order of
this thread, making it difficult to sort out the order of the comments. So
I will just cut and past his posts:

|Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 06:18:59 -0400
|
|Hello:
|
|I presently have the Microsoft Version 1.1.4 of Java Technology. I'm told
|this is an older version.
|
|1) How compatible is the 5.0 version from Java .com :
|http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
|with Windows ME?
|
|From there website, it seems it might be OK, but wondering how smoothly it
|would function with this OS....
|
|2) Is it necessary to uninstall anything prior to installing this? Or can it
|simply be installed on top of what's already there?
|
| I use Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 SP1

Nothing about having Sun Java there...

|Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 15:17:51 -0400
|
|I believe that the only Java JRE I presently have installed is not Sun JRE
|but a much earlier version by Microsoft: JAVA Technology 1.1.4
|
|Not sure how to ascertain this. I got this info from a test provied for your
|current version at that Java Sun site :
|http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
|
|Would you still recommend an uninstall prior to upgrading from that site??

Here he is saying that he has NOT the Sun JRE, but MSFT Java 1.1.4.

|Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:10:09 -0400
|
|Yes, that's the reading I get at that DOS prompt.
|I see no entries at all for Java--of any kind in my Add/Remove programs.
|
|Would it be of use to install that upgraded Sun Java I referenced in my
|original post?
|
|Would it lead to any conflict with the MS Java I already have installed?

Lastly, he is confirming the version he claimed to have, an MSFT version,
by following your directions in the preceding post.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Sorry for the confusion here:

Noel wrote:

<<<<
You said earlier that you have Sun Java 1.14 installed - where do you see
this??

At the Sun Java site : http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

they test the Java already installed:

Test Your Java Local Machine:

The results for my system state:

"You are using an older version of Java Technology. You can download the
latest version from Java.com
You Java configuration is

Vendor: Microsoft Corp
Version: 1.1.4
Operating System: Windows 98
Os Version: 4.90

Anyhow, that's what the results were for me....

At the DOS prompt you suggested earlier, I got the reading you mentioned
earlier:

""Microsoft (R) Command-line loader for Java Version 5.00.3810"

My question now is whether its OK -and possibly of use--to download that Sun
Java software as is , without uninstalling anything.
I see no entry for Java at all in my Control Panel

Sorry again for the confusion.

-Ira

******************************

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 22:23:24 +0100, Noel Paton wrote:
|
| > You said earlier that you have Sun Java 1.14 installed - where do you
see
| > this??
|
| He never said that. Alas, all this top posting has confused the order of
| this thread, making it difficult to sort out the order of the comments. So
| I will just cut and past his posts:
|
| |Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 06:18:59 -0400
| |
| |Hello:
| |
| |I presently have the Microsoft Version 1.1.4 of Java Technology. I'm told
| |this is an older version.
| |
| |1) How compatible is the 5.0 version from Java .com :
| |http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
| |with Windows ME?
| |
| |From there website, it seems it might be OK, but wondering how smoothly
it
| |would function with this OS....
| |
| |2) Is it necessary to uninstall anything prior to installing this? Or can
it
| |simply be installed on top of what's already there?
| |
| | I use Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 SP1
|
| Nothing about having Sun Java there...

| |Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 15:17:51 -0400
| |
| |I believe that the only Java JRE I presently have installed is not Sun
JRE
| |but a much earlier version by Microsoft: JAVA Technology 1.1.4
| |
| |Not sure how to ascertain this. I got this info from a test provied for
your
| |current version at that Java Sun site :
| |http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
| |
| |Would you still recommend an uninstall prior to upgrading from that
site??

| Here he is saying that he has NOT the Sun JRE, but MSFT Java 1.1.4.

| |Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:10:09 -0400
| |
| |Yes, that's the reading I get at that DOS prompt.
| |I see no entries at all for Java--of any kind in my Add/Remove programs.
| |
| |Would it be of use to install that upgraded Sun Java I referenced in my
| |original post?
| |
| |Would it lead to any conflict with the MS Java I already have installed?
|
| Lastly, he is confirming the version he claimed to have, an MSFT version,
| by following your directions in the preceding post.
|
| --
| Norman
| ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
| ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
| ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:23:27 AM

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:55:23 -0400, Ira wrote:

> Sorry for the confusion here:
>
> Noel wrote:
>
> <<<<
> You said earlier that you have Sun Java 1.14 installed - where do you see
> this??
> >>>>>

> At the Sun Java site : http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
>
> they test the Java already installed:
>
> Test Your Java Local Machine:
>
> The results for my system state:
>
> "You are using an older version of Java Technology. You can download the
> latest version from Java.com
> You Java configuration is
>
> Vendor: Microsoft Corp
> Version: 1.1.4
> Operating System: Windows 98
> Os Version: 4.90
>
> Anyhow, that's what the results were for me....
>
> At the DOS prompt you suggested earlier, I got the reading you mentioned
> earlier:
>
> ""Microsoft (R) Command-line loader for Java Version 5.00.3810"
>
> My question now is whether its OK -and possibly of use--to download that Sun
> Java software as is , without uninstalling anything.
> I see no entry for Java at all in my Control Panel
>
> Sorry again for the confusion.

The confusion is a consequence of the order of the quoted messages, nothing
more. Noel thought that you had posted something which you did not, in
fact, post, and I couldn't sort out the order of the posts as easily as if
everybody had consistently either top posted, or bottom posted. Mixing them
up results in really goofy quotes.

As far as I know, I don't have MSFT Java installed at all. The Sun Java JRE
1.5.0 works just fine; but I don't recall the details of how I did it. In
part it involves turning of MSFT Java in Internet Options. In the Advanced
tab, scan down until you find Java listed; I don't recall what the listing
looks like for MSFT Java, but it should be labled. I think I just unchecked
it, then restarted the browser.

There are some steps to removing "jview.exe" and "wjview.exe" from the
disk, and some registry entries. Google can be of service for more details.
Also, I am working on Windows ME; a Windows XP removal may look slightly
different.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:53:26 AM

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:55:23 -0400, Ira wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the confusion here:
>>
>> Noel wrote:
>>
>> <<<<
>> You said earlier that you have Sun Java 1.14 installed - where do you see
>> this??
>> >>>>>

>> At the Sun Java site : http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
>>
>> they test the Java already installed:
>>
>> Test Your Java Local Machine:
>>
>> The results for my system state:
>>
>> "You are using an older version of Java Technology. You can download the
>> latest version from Java.com
>> You Java configuration is
>>
>> Vendor: Microsoft Corp
>> Version: 1.1.4
>> Operating System: Windows 98
>> Os Version: 4.90
>>
>> Anyhow, that's what the results were for me....
>>
>> At the DOS prompt you suggested earlier, I got the reading you mentioned
>> earlier:
>>
>> ""Microsoft (R) Command-line loader for Java Version 5.00.3810"
>>
>> My question now is whether its OK -and possibly of use--to download that
>> Sun
>> Java software as is , without uninstalling anything.
>> I see no entry for Java at all in my Control Panel
>>
>> Sorry again for the confusion.
>>

> The confusion is a consequence of the order of the quoted messages,
> nothing
> more. Noel thought that you had posted something which you did not, in
> fact, post, and I couldn't sort out the order of the posts as easily as if
> everybody had consistently either top posted, or bottom posted. Mixing
> them
> up results in really goofy quotes.
>
> As far as I know, I don't have MSFT Java installed at all. The Sun Java
> JRE
> 1.5.0 works just fine; but I don't recall the details of how I did it. In
> part it involves turning of MSFT Java in Internet Options. In the Advanced
> tab, scan down until you find Java listed; I don't recall what the listing
> looks like for MSFT Java, but it should be labled. I think I just
> unchecked
> it, then restarted the browser.
>
> There are some steps to removing "jview.exe" and "wjview.exe" from the
> disk, and some registry entries. Google can be of service for more
> details.
> Also, I am working on Windows ME; a Windows XP removal may look slightly
> different.

Norman - there is no need to uninstall or turn of the MSJavascript engine -
it's a totally separate beast to the Sun engine (and jview is only a minor
part of the Msjava engine anyhow)

Actually - the OP did say that he believed he had Java 1.14 installed, and
just confirmed it - although by a different method to that I was expecting.

MSJavascript is installed by default in Win ME systems - and should be
updated to v3810, unless you remove it completely.

It is essential to remove older versions of the Sun Java when updating, as
Mow said earlier in the thread, since the older versions are still
executable, and vulnerable.

Unfortunately the Java site is less than helpful in achieving the end of
removing older versions - merely referring the user to the Add/Remove
Programs wizard.
I'll have to do some research - or the OP could try reinstalling that
version (no other!) and then using Add/Remove to get rid of it.
OTOH, it's possible that removing the application which installed Java in
the first place could also remove Java - if the OP knows which app that is.
--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

July 5, 2005 10:53:27 AM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:53:26 +0100, Noel Paton wrote:

> It is essential to remove older versions of the Sun Java when updating, as
> Mow said earlier in the thread, since the older versions are still
> executable, and vulnerable.

I have one program which is written in an older version of Java; GameShark
Media Player. It installed to a folder listed as "JavaSoft", and shows
"JRE1.4" as a subfolder. It is not listed under Java in Add/Remove
Programs, but it is there on the HDD. Somehow, I don't think that I can
remove it without breaking the GSMP. OTOH, the browser, when they invoke
Java on the web, do invoke "jre1.5.0_02".

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:45:33 PM

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:53:26 +0100, Noel Paton wrote:
>
> > It is essential to remove older versions of the Sun Java when updating,
as
> > Mow said earlier in the thread, since the older versions are still
> > executable, and vulnerable.
>
> I have one program which is written in an older version of Java; GameShark
> Media Player. It installed to a folder listed as "JavaSoft", and shows
> "JRE1.4" as a subfolder. It is not listed under Java in Add/Remove
> Programs, but it is there on the HDD. Somehow, I don't think that I can
> remove it without breaking the GSMP. OTOH, the browser, when they invoke
> Java on the web, do invoke "jre1.5.0_02".
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

How about tranlating or encoding this for us, Norman?

Harry.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:30:55 PM

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:53:26 +0100, Noel Paton wrote:
>
>> It is essential to remove older versions of the Sun Java when updating,
>> as
>> Mow said earlier in the thread, since the older versions are still
>> executable, and vulnerable.
>
> I have one program which is written in an older version of Java; GameShark
> Media Player. It installed to a folder listed as "JavaSoft", and shows
> "JRE1.4" as a subfolder. It is not listed under Java in Add/Remove
> Programs, but it is there on the HDD. Somehow, I don't think that I can
> remove it without breaking the GSMP. OTOH, the browser, when they invoke
> Java on the web, do invoke "jre1.5.0_02".

Some exploits are fashioned to specifically activate early vulnerable
versions of Java if they are installed - otherwise they will quietly expire
with no notice.