Speaker Icon Mystery

Hi,

The little speaker-volume control icon keeps disappearing from the system
tray when I reboot the system. I activate it from Control Panel >
Sounds..., but it vanishes once I reboot.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Olen R. Pearson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The little speaker-volume control icon keeps disappearing from the system
> tray when I reboot the system. I activate it from Control Panel >
> Sounds..., but it vanishes once I reboot.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks.

When you activate it, click "Apply"

Rick

Thanks but didn't solve the problem.

> Olen R. Pearson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The little speaker-volume control icon keeps disappearing from the
system
> > tray when I reboot the system. I activate it from Control Panel >
> > Sounds..., but it vanishes once I reboot.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> When you activate it, click "Apply"
>

> Rick

Do you have any other 'Audio' application running in the background?
e.g a utility 'bundled' with your soundcard, keyboard, modem, etc.,
If so, and it also has a sound mixer utility, it *may* be over-riding
the MS volume control setting.

Mart

"Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message
> Thanks but didn't solve the problem.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Olen R. Pearson wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The little speaker-volume control icon keeps disappearing from the
> system
>> > tray when I reboot the system. I activate it from Control Panel >
>> > Sounds..., but it vanishes once I reboot.
>> >
>> > Ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> When you activate it, click "Apply"
>>

>> Rick

No, nothing I am aware of or can identify as such.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Do you have any other 'Audio' application running in the background?
> e.g a utility 'bundled' with your soundcard, keyboard, modem, etc.,
> If so, and it also has a sound mixer utility, it *may* be over-riding
> the MS volume control setting.
>
> Mart
>

> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks but didn't solve the problem.
> >

> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> > system

> >> When you activate it, click "Apply"
> >>

> >> Rick

do any other icons disappear? - do you get any other errors???

I suspect that you have something that may be 'crashing' explorer every
boot....

You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
CoolWebSearch hijacker.

Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
(download it without the accompanying rubbish)

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
your system.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Olen R. Pearson wrote:
> Thanks but didn't solve the problem.

Rats, so much for the easy solution.

Rick

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Olen R. Pearson wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>The little speaker-volume control icon keeps disappearing from the
>
> system
>
>>>tray when I reboot the system. I activate it from Control Panel >
>>>Sounds..., but it vanishes once I reboot.
>>>
>>>Ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>When you activate it, click "Apply"
>>

>>Rick

OK, then only suggestions are (and one is Rick's) :-

either:-

Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the Show
volume control on the taskbar box is checked.

and/or

Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup tab and
under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.

and/or

'Remove' any/all or your 'sound, video and game controllers' using Device
Manager in Safe Mode. Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card
drivers.

> No, nothing I am aware of or can identify as such.
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> Do you have any other 'Audio' application running in the background?
>> e.g a utility 'bundled' with your soundcard, keyboard, modem, etc.,
>> If so, and it also has a sound mixer utility, it *may* be over-riding
>> the MS volume control setting.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message
>> > Thanks but didn't solve the problem.
>> >

>> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > system

Okay, I have tried the first and third suggestions without success.

As for #2, there is no Volumn Control under Control Panel > Add?remove >
Windows Setup > System Tools!! ????

Thanks for trying.

> OK, then only suggestions are (and one is Rick's) :-
>
> either:-
>
> Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the
Show
> volume control on the taskbar box is checked.
>
> and/or
>
> Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup tab
and
> under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.
>
> and/or
>
> 'Remove' any/all or your 'sound, video and game controllers' using Device
> Manager in Safe Mode. Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card
> drivers.
>
> Mart
>

> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message
> > No, nothing I am aware of or can identify as such.
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >> Do you have any other 'Audio' application running in the background?
> >> e.g a utility 'bundled' with your soundcard, keyboard, modem, etc.,
> >> If so, and it also has a sound mixer utility, it *may* be over-riding
> >> the MS volume control setting.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message

FWIW, for #2, the path is:
Control Panel-Add/Remove-Windows Setup-Multimedia-Volume Control.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Olen R. Pearson"
<opearson@citcom.net> wrote:

>Okay, I have tried the first and third suggestions without success.
>
>As for #2, there is no Volumn Control under Control Panel > Add?remove >
>Windows Setup > System Tools!! ????
>
>Thanks for trying.
>

>"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> OK, then only suggestions are (and one is Rick's) :-
>>
>> either:-
>>
>> Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the
>Show
>> volume control on the taskbar box is checked.
>>
>> and/or
>>
>> Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup tab
>and
>> under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.
>>
>> and/or
>>
>> 'Remove' any/all or your 'sound, video and game controllers' using Device
>> Manager in Safe Mode. Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card
>> drivers.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message
>> > No, nothing I am aware of or can identify as such.
>> >

>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

Of course it is!

Thanks Alan, - I knew it was there somewhere <g>

Mart

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> FWIW, for #2, the path is:
> Control Panel-Add/Remove-Windows Setup-Multimedia-Volume Control.
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Olen R. Pearson"
> <opearson@citcom.net> wrote:
>
>>Okay, I have tried the first and third suggestions without success.
>>
>>As for #2, there is no Volumn Control under Control Panel > Add?remove >
>>Windows Setup > System Tools!! ????
>>
>>Thanks for trying.
>>

>>"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>> OK, then only suggestions are (and one is Rick's) :-
>>>
>>> either:-
>>>
>>> Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the
>>Show
>>> volume control on the taskbar box is checked.
>>>
>>> and/or
>>>
>>> Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup tab
>>and
>>> under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.
>>>
>>> and/or
>>>
>>> 'Remove' any/all or your 'sound, video and game controllers' using
>>> Device
>>> Manager in Safe Mode. Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card
>>> drivers.
>>>
>>> Mart
>>>

>>> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message

The Volume Control is checked. Oh well, thanks for trying.

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> FWIW, for #2, the path is:
> Control Panel-Add/Remove-Windows Setup-Multimedia-Volume Control.
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Olen R. Pearson"
> <opearson@citcom.net> wrote:
>
> >Okay, I have tried the first and third suggestions without success.
> >
> >As for #2, there is no Volumn Control under Control Panel > Add?remove >
> >Windows Setup > System Tools!! ????
> >
> >Thanks for trying.
> >

> >"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >> OK, then only suggestions are (and one is Rick's) :-
> >>
> >> either:-
> >>
> >> Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the
> >Show
> >> volume control on the taskbar box is checked.
> >>
> >> and/or
> >>
> >> Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup
tab
> >and
> >> under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.
> >>
> >> and/or
> >>
> >> 'Remove' any/all or your 'sound, video and game controllers' using
Device
> >> Manager in Safe Mode. Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card
> >> drivers.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "Olen R. Pearson" <opearson@citcom.net> wrote in message

Panel >

The only other thought is that maybe it's being 'hidden' on the task bar. As
in "Hide Inactive Icons" a' la XP. Can't remember if WinMe has that option.
Anyone?

Just a thought - are your SR points or rb*.cab files being generated (and
retained) on a regular (daily-ish) basis?

How about setting the icon and *immediately* setting an SR point. Does it
retain?