Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dialup problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:16:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I wonder if someone could give me a hand?

My son's ME machine has been giving problems and I've just reinstalled
Windows following difficulties with CWS trojans, but I don't think
this is related because it predates that.

When you try to dialup, it won't connect, reporting 'no dial tone.'
The line is fine and I can hear a dial tone if I connect a phone. Once
the computer has failed to connect, the line is dead and people
dialling in hear an engaged tone. The only way to clear it is to pull
out the phone plug and reboot the machine. Then, on the phone, I can
hear dialling tones (but this might be something to do with the NTL
box I have). I can stop this by pulling out the NTL plug.

Any ideas? I've tried making a new dialup connection but no joy.

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles

More about : dialup problem

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:18:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

David, well done for successfully completing the reinstallation.

Regarding the Dialup problem, perhaps you start by confirming that the modem
actually *dials* and is capable of establishing a call.

> The line is fine and I can hear a dial tone if I connect a phone.

The following assumes a conventional telephone instrument adjacent to your
computer, to confirm call progress.

> ... Then, on the phone, I can hear dialling tones (but this might be
> something to do with the NTL box I have). I can stop this by pulling out
> the NTL plug.

At this point, do so for elimination purposes.

Use dialer.exe (note one L) to set-up and establish the call and listen to
the progress of the call on the adjacent 'phone. (N.B. do not lift the
handset before dialer.exe connects the modem as it *may* prevent the initial
dialling tone from being recognised - but if it doesn't affect it, even
better!).

Note also that you *may not* be able to speak (be heard) until dialer.exe
has established the call when you must disconnect dialer.exe. Don't forget,
this is a DIALLER - not a call/message handler.

During the time whilst the modem is actively involved in establishing the
call, listen to the progress on the adjacent 'phone and 'disconnect'
dialer.exe once the call is established. The 'phone will maintain the call.

You should also try dialling your own number to see the effect of a 'line
busy' report on your Windows screen.

Having confirmed the 'mechanics' then re-visit the 'data' handling aspect of
the modem.

HTH

Mart



"David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote in message
news:42c97d09$0$13706$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>I wonder if someone could give me a hand?
>
> My son's ME machine has been giving problems and I've just reinstalled
> Windows following difficulties with CWS trojans, but I don't think this is
> related because it predates that.
>
> When you try to dialup, it won't connect, reporting 'no dial tone.' The
> line is fine and I can hear a dial tone if I connect a phone. Once the
> computer has failed to connect, the line is dead and people dialling in
> hear an engaged tone. The only way to clear it is to pull out the phone
> plug and reboot the machine. Then, on the phone, I can hear dialling tones
> (but this might be something to do with the NTL box I have). I can stop
> this by pulling out the NTL plug.
>
> Any ideas? I've tried making a new dialup connection but no joy.
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
>
July 5, 2005 1:01:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Have you checked your modem properties in Device Manager?

Alias

"David Brear" <dbrear@despammed.com> wrote

>I wonder if someone could give me a hand?
>
> My son's ME machine has been giving problems and I've just reinstalled
> Windows following difficulties with CWS trojans, but I don't think this is
> related because it predates that.
>
> When you try to dialup, it won't connect, reporting 'no dial tone.' The
> line is fine and I can hear a dial tone if I connect a phone. Once the
> computer has failed to connect, the line is dead and people dialling in
> hear an engaged tone. The only way to clear it is to pull out the phone
> plug and reboot the machine. Then, on the phone, I can hear dialling tones
> (but this might be something to do with the NTL box I have). I can stop
> this by pulling out the NTL plug.
>
> Any ideas? I've tried making a new dialup connection but no joy.
>
> --
> David Brear
>
> Habitat
> http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
> Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:42:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks chaps, I'll give it a go.

--
David Brear

Habitat
http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm
Daily wildlife & environment news from the British Isles
!