network failure

Today I notice that my WinME (ICS host) and WinXP (client) can't communicate
(simple peer to peer setup). First clue was when I couldn't send a print
job from my ME to the XP where the printer is connected. XP pc reports
"network unplugged". A forced "disable" and then an "enable" doesn't help.
I also notice that the little lights for the network cards are not lit up.
I thought they would normally BE lit up if the computers are on, right?
However.. the lights on the network cards/ports on BOTH machines are off.

Could both network cards have failed simulateously?

Any ideas on what to do?

I've since rebooted both machines in various order. No difference. The
network is dead.

The lack of network card lights concerns me, and puzzles me.

A followup on my situation (any ideas where the problem is?):

I can PING to 127.0.0.1:
C:\Windows>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

And this is what happens a boot up according to the ICSSetup.Log:

-----------
Internet Connection Sharing Setup Log: Tuesday Jul 5 2005

Build Adapter List

Build Adapter List - found: Dial-Up Adapter

Build Adapter List - found: Dial-Up Adapter

Build Adapter List - found: AOpen AON-325 10/100M Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter

Build Adapter List - found: Internet Connection Sharing

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: #1 - Dial-Up Adapter NOT a
candidate, known special purpose adapter

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: #2 - Dial-Up Adapter NOT a
candidate, known special purpose adapter

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: AOpen AON-325 10/100M Fast
Ethernet PCI Adapter IS a candidate

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: Internet Connection Sharing NOT
a candidate, known special purpose adapter

Find External Adapter Candidates, checking: #1 - Dial-Up Adapter IS a
candidate

Find External Adapter Candidates, checking: #2 - Dial-Up Adapter NOT a
candidate, already found a dial-up adapter

Find External Adapter Candidates, checking: AOpen AON-325 10/100M Fast
Ethernet PCI Adapter NOT a candidate, only valid Internal adapter

Find External Adapter Candidates, checking: Internet Connection Sharing NOT
a candidate, known special purpose adapter

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: #1 - Dial-Up Adapter NOT a
candidate, known special purpose adapter

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: #2 - Dial-Up Adapter NOT a
candidate, known special purpose adapter

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: AOpen AON-325 10/100M Fast
Ethernet PCI Adapter IS a candidate

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: Internet Connection Sharing NOT
a candidate, known special purpose adapter

Loaded external adapter: #1 - Dial-Up Adapter

Loaded internal adapter: AOpen AON-325 10/100M Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: #1 - Dial-Up Adapter NOT a
candidate, known special purpose adapter

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: #2 - Dial-Up Adapter NOT a
candidate, known special purpose adapter

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: AOpen AON-325 10/100M Fast
Ethernet PCI Adapter IS a candidate

Find Internal Adapter Candidates, checking: Internet Connection Sharing NOT
a candidate, known special purpose adapter

Set secondary Internal Adapter: NULL

Secondary Internal Adapter has been set to NULL

Set Internal Adapter: AOpen AON-325 10/100M Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter

Internal Adapter has been set to AOpen AON-325 10/100M Fast Ethernet PCI
Adapter

Set External Adapter: #1 - Dial-Up Adapter

External Adapter has been set to #1 - Dial-Up Adapter