rundll32 problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 6, 2005 1:39:08 PM

My computer is very slow, like it is infected with something. When I go into
task manager to see what is running, I see rundll32 in the list. As soon as
I end this my computer speeds up and seems to work properly. As far as I
know, rundll32 should not be listed as a running program, correct?
What can I do to fix this permantely? What should I look for?

More about : rundll32 problem

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:47:58 PM

JasonC <JasonC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My computer is very slow, like it is infected with something. When I go into
>task manager to see what is running, I see rundll32 in the list. As soon as
>I end this my computer speeds up and seems to work properly. As far as I
>know, rundll32 should not be listed as a running program, correct?
>What can I do to fix this permantely? What should I look for?

1. Make certain your antivirus software is fully up to date, with the
virus definitions not more than a week old, and do a complete virus
scan of your computer. Then get a "second opinion" by doing a free
online virus scan at one of the following free sites:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

2. Check for possible spyware and remove it by following MVP Jim
Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix Procedure at
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

3. Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the Startup tab. Compare the
list of items that are loading at startup with the following checklist
web sites to see what can be safely dispensed with:

http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html - has trojan related
items listed

Note: Please ensure that you fully understand the purpose of a
startup item, how and why it was put into the startup, and the
consequences (if any) of removing it before you make any changes.
Some items are very important for the proper and safe functioning of
your computer, including at least one item that is listed twice.

Disabling an item by unchecking it in MSCONFIG should only be done for
testing purposes or as a "last resort" when no other way of getting
rid of the unwanted item can be found.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:49:23 PM

From: "JasonC" <JasonC@discussions.microsoft.com>

| My computer is very slow, like it is infected with something. When I go into
| task manager to see what is running, I see rundll32 in the list. As soon as
| I end this my computer speeds up and seems to work properly. As far as I
| know, rundll32 should not be listed as a running program, correct?
| What can I do to fix this permantely? What should I look for?

Some Malware use a DLL that is executed via RUNDLL32.EXE.

You can use the following Multi AV Command Line Scanner front end utility to scan your
computer

After you execute Multi_AV.exe you find a folder called; C:\AV-CLS

In the folder C:\AV-CLS you will find the file; killproc.txt [ C:\AV-CLS\killproc.txt ]

Open it in your text editor (double click on the killproc.txt file) and append to the
list
RUNDLL32.EXE and then save the file.

It should then have the following contents...

iexplore.exe
firefox.exe
rundll32.exe

Then follow the rest of the below instructions...

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to remove
viruses and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:44:52 PM

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 09:39:08 -0700, JasonC
<JasonC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My computer is very slow, like it is infected with something. When I go into
>task manager to see what is running, I see rundll32 in the list. As soon as
>I end this my computer speeds up and seems to work properly. As far as I
>know, rundll32 should not be listed as a running program, correct?
>What can I do to fix this permantely? What should I look for?
rundll.32 is what appears if you click on "open with" , which on my
computer takes a lot of time and slows everything right down until the
"open with" dialogue box appears.
It is also used by Irfanview under certain conditions and may appear
several times in the task manager box.
!