rundll32 problem

My computer is very slow, like it is infected with something. When I go into
task manager to see what is running, I see rundll32 in the list. As soon as
I end this my computer speeds up and seems to work properly. As far as I
know, rundll32 should not be listed as a running program, correct?
What can I do to fix this permantely? What should I look for?
3 answers Last reply
More about rundll32 problem

    JasonC <JasonC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My computer is very slow, like it is infected with something. When I go into
    >task manager to see what is running, I see rundll32 in the list. As soon as
    >I end this my computer speeds up and seems to work properly. As far as I
    >know, rundll32 should not be listed as a running program, correct?
    >What can I do to fix this permantely? What should I look for?

    1. Make certain your antivirus software is fully up to date, with the
    virus definitions not more than a week old, and do a complete virus
    scan of your computer. Then get a "second opinion" by doing a free
    online virus scan at one of the following free sites:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    2. Check for possible spyware and remove it by following MVP Jim
    Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix Procedure at
    http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    3. Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the Startup tab. Compare the
    list of items that are loading at startup with the following checklist
    web sites to see what can be safely dispensed with:

    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html - has trojan related
    items listed

    Note: Please ensure that you fully understand the purpose of a
    startup item, how and why it was put into the startup, and the
    consequences (if any) of removing it before you make any changes.
    Some items are very important for the proper and safe functioning of
    your computer, including at least one item that is listed twice.

    Disabling an item by unchecking it in MSCONFIG should only be done for
    testing purposes or as a "last resort" when no other way of getting
    rid of the unwanted item can be found.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    From: "JasonC" <JasonC@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | My computer is very slow, like it is infected with something. When I go into
    | task manager to see what is running, I see rundll32 in the list. As soon as
    | I end this my computer speeds up and seems to work properly. As far as I
    | know, rundll32 should not be listed as a running program, correct?
    | What can I do to fix this permantely? What should I look for?

    Some Malware use a DLL that is executed via RUNDLL32.EXE.

    You can use the following Multi AV Command Line Scanner front end utility to scan your
    computer

    After you execute Multi_AV.exe you find a folder called; C:\AV-CLS

    In the folder C:\AV-CLS you will find the file; killproc.txt [ C:\AV-CLS\killproc.txt ]

    Open it in your text editor (double click on the killproc.txt file) and append to the
    list
    RUNDLL32.EXE and then save the file.

    It should then have the following contents...

    iexplore.exe
    firefox.exe
    rundll32.exe

    Then follow the rest of the below instructions...

    Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
    Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

    Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
    Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to remove
    viruses and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
    through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 09:39:08 -0700, JasonC
    <JasonC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My computer is very slow, like it is infected with something. When I go into
    >task manager to see what is running, I see rundll32 in the list. As soon as
    >I end this my computer speeds up and seems to work properly. As far as I
    >know, rundll32 should not be listed as a running program, correct?
    >What can I do to fix this permantely? What should I look for?
    rundll.32 is what appears if you click on "open with" , which on my
    computer takes a lot of time and slows everything right down until the
    "open with" dialogue box appears.
    It is also used by Irfanview under certain conditions and may appear
    several times in the task manager box.

Rundll32 Computers Windows