Win 95, 98, 98SE or ME?????

Hello to every1 out there!!!

just want to ask, which OS is more stable among those listed? how much
better is Win ME compared to Win 98SE?

hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.

thanks =)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Win-95-98-98SE-ftopict553755.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757513

All of them (except Windows 95, with a known memory leak problem) are
equally stable as they are delivered. It's what you do with (or, perhaps
closer to the point, TO) them afterwards that makes the difference.

"LancerEvo" wrote:
> Hello to every1 out there!!!
>
> just want to ask, which OS is more stable among those listed? how much
> better is Win ME compared to Win 98SE?
>
> hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.

Which Windows Do I Choose:
<http://aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm>

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Shane

So you agree with Jim, then, Silj, that Win 98 is better than Win ME?

Shane

"Shane" wrote:
> So you agree with Jim, then, Silj, that Win 98 is better than Win ME?

Strictly due to the fact that Win 98 has no 'SR', Shane, I'd say I disagree.
Otherwise, he presents a good case.

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Shane

Like Richard said.

Anyhow, what do you mean by 'stable'? Simply least likely to crash? If so,
under what circumstances? If you simply want a recommendation of which to
choose, I was running 95OS2, 98SE and ME simultaneously, but got rid of Win
95 as too outdated and increasingly unsupported. I still run 98SE and ME and
have always preferred ME.

Shane

"LancerEvo" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hello to every1 out there!!!
>
> just want to ask, which OS is more stable among those listed? how much
> better is Win ME compared to Win 98SE?
>
> hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.
>
> thanks =)

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Win-95-98-98SE-ftopict553755.html

Hmmm....

Let me think of a similar debate.

Zee

LancerEvo wrote:
> Hello to every1 out there!!!
>
> just want to ask, which OS is more stable among those listed? how much
> better is Win ME compared to Win 98SE?
>
> hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.
>
> thanks =)

quick overview IMHO

95 - blinding fast on a modern machine, but alot of modern stuff
requires activeX and built-in html engine. Real-mode DOS 'on tap'

98FE - no clue what the difference between this and 95 is, if any.

98SE - bit slower, still has real-mode DOS for easy maintenance; has
Active Desktop (and more importantly the html-engine that enables it)

ME - trades off real-mode DOS for more advanced recovery options like
System Restore.

And the more 'modern' you get the more likely recent drivers will work
with it.

take your pick.

Rick

Alias

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote

> Like Richard said.
>
> Anyhow, what do you mean by 'stable'? Simply least likely to crash? If so,
> under what circumstances? If you simply want a recommendation of which to
> choose, I was running 95OS2, 98SE and ME simultaneously, but got rid of
> Win 95 as too outdated and increasingly unsupported. I still run 98SE and
> ME and have always preferred ME.
>
> Shane

If you like ME, you'll love XP.
--
Alias

> "LancerEvo" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>> Hello to every1 out there!!!
>>
>> just want to ask, which OS is more stable among those listed? how much
>> better is Win ME compared to Win 98SE?
>>
>> hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.
>>
>> thanks =)
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Win-95-98-98SE-ftopict553755.html
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757513

My custom computer uses a custom drivers CD, which must be installed.
W98/W98SE cannot install this CD. Therefore, plus the fact that WME plays
well on a dual-boot WinME/Win2K system, causes me to have to use WME.

Btw, I actually like the WME OS, irrespective of the above. For some
purposes, it is better than Win2K: DOS, *much* faster boots, legacy pgms run
OK, etc. In fact, I keep all my disk drives set to FAT32 so WME can access
them. I found the mix of FAT32/NTFS not worth the hassle.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote
>
> > Like Richard said.
> >
> > Anyhow, what do you mean by 'stable'? Simply least likely to crash? If
so,
> > under what circumstances? If you simply want a recommendation of which
> > choose, I was running 95OS2, 98SE and ME simultaneously, but got rid of
> > Win 95 as too outdated and increasingly unsupported. I still run 98SE
and
> > ME and have always preferred ME.
> >
> > Shane
>
> If you like ME, you'll love XP.
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
> >
> > "LancerEvo" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello to every1 out there!!!
> >>
> >> just want to ask, which OS is more stable among those listed? how much
> >> better is Win ME compared to Win 98SE?
> >>
> >> hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.
> >>
> >> thanks =)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> >> request
> >> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> >> Topic URL:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Win-95-98-98SE-ftopict553755.html
> >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757513

I'm still using 2K because I'm too lazy to reinstall WinME, but I can't
say as I've found much difference overall; 2K is obviously more stable
(I've only had it crash twice in the last few months; both times while
trying to run a videogame; a M$ game of course :/ ) WinME is smoother,
though.

Rick

Walterius wrote:
> My custom computer uses a custom drivers CD, which must be installed.
> W98/W98SE cannot install this CD. Therefore, plus the fact that WME plays
> well on a dual-boot WinME/Win2K system, causes me to have to use WME.
>
> Btw, I actually like the WME OS, irrespective of the above. For some
> purposes, it is better than Win2K: DOS, *much* faster boots, legacy pgms run
> OK, etc. In fact, I keep all my disk drives set to FAT32 so WME can access
> them. I found the mix of FAT32/NTFS not worth the hassle.
>
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>
>>"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote
>>

>>>Like Richard said.
>>>
>>>Anyhow, what do you mean by 'stable'? Simply least likely to crash? If
>
> so,
>
>>>under what circumstances? If you simply want a recommendation of which

>>>choose, I was running 95OS2, 98SE and ME simultaneously, but got rid of
>>>Win 95 as too outdated and increasingly unsupported. I still run 98SE
>
> and
>
>>>ME and have always preferred ME.
>>>
>>>Shane
>>
>>If you like ME, you'll love XP.
>>--
>>Alias
>>
>>Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>>Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
>>
>>>"LancerEvo" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Win-95-98-98SE-ftopict553755.html

Can we have the original OP (LancerEVo) tell us what he thinks of all this??
I, as an outsider, I've only known Me, so I'll sit on it..<g>
Paul
--
cogito ergo sum

Shane

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> Like Richard said.
>>
>> Anyhow, what do you mean by 'stable'? Simply least likely to crash? If
>> so, under what circumstances? If you simply want a recommendation of
>> which to choose, I was running 95OS2, 98SE and ME simultaneously, but got
>> rid of Win 95 as too outdated and increasingly unsupported. I still run
>> 98SE and ME and have always preferred ME.
>>
>> Shane
>
> If you like ME, you'll love XP.

I've been using XP for about 3 years now. For the first year I still used ME
more than XP but now I only really boot the 9x systems to apply updates.

Shane

LancerEvo wrote:
> Hello to every1 out there!!!
>
> just want to ask, which OS is more stable among those listed? how much
> better is Win ME compared to Win 98SE?
>
> hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.
>
> thanks =)

If you're playing FL, word is ME is better than NTx (and I can vouch for
that personally; in fact I can't even log on online in 2000 :( , but I
don't know about 98, the tradeoff would be the major differences; slight
instability of things that let Real Mode DOS happen on the fly in 98 vs
the occasional extra task that WinME runs occasionally.

Grog

> If you like ME, you'll love XP.
> --
> Alias

Quite agree Alias. I've been very happy with ME since release and I could
never understand why it got such a bad reputation. Now upgraded to XP and
yeah, I feel very at home (in Classic Desktop). All the familiar things are
there, System Restore, SFP, ICS etc. The only reason I felt the need to
upgrade was because many new games won't run ME!

Steve

Steve,

Classic Desktop. Pleased to read that I'm not the only one who sticks to
Classic rather than going for the XP glitz. :)
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Crazy Aizy <cornedbeef@nospam.com> wrote:

> Quite agree Alias. I've been very happy with ME since release and I
> could never understand why it got such a bad reputation. Now upgraded
> to XP and yeah, I feel very at home (in Classic Desktop). All the
> familiar things are there, System Restore, SFP, ICS etc. The only
> reason I felt the need to upgrade was because many new games won't
> run ME!

<lol> I don't have glitz on my desktop just plain old grey background with
my assortment of icons <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Classic Desktop. Pleased to read that I'm not the only one who
> sticks to Classic rather than going for the XP glitz. :)

Shane

At the moment my wallpaper is:
http://www.vintagenet.com/phantom/nort-nat-lowboy.jpg but it changes at
every boot to a (more-or-less) random choice from (atm) 1,321 works of
(mainly photographic) art.

Shane

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>LancerEvo wrote:
>> Hello to every1 out there!!!
>>
>> just want to ask, which OS is more stable among those listed? how much
>> better is Win ME compared to Win 98SE?
>>
>> hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.
>>
>> thanks =)
>>

>quick overview IMHO
>
>95 - blinding fast on a modern machine, but alot of modern stuff
>requires activeX and built-in html engine. Real-mode DOS 'on tap'
>
>98FE - no clue what the difference between this and 95 is, if any.

Improved memory management, including MapCache. Better hardware
support. IE4 included. FAT32 hard drive support in all versions
(Win95 was FAT16 only in all retail versions. Only OEM versions SR2
and later supported FAT32). Many other improvements.

>98SE - bit slower, still has real-mode DOS for easy maintenance; has
>Active Desktop (and more importantly the html-engine that enables it)
>
>ME - trades off real-mode DOS for more advanced recovery options like
>System Restore.
>
>And the more 'modern' you get the more likely recent drivers will work
>with it.
>
>take your pick.
>

>Rick

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

I prefer ME because of the System Restore feature.

However, the bloatware from firewalls and Norton Utilities and other assorted
programs like Word, and using a printer and IE6...well, I just run out of
resources and the ME machine crashes. I recommend XP...at a discount, because
mainstream support expires on XP Home in 1.5 years, ~3.5 years with XP Pro. Get
a second drive to install Longhorn later.

"siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "LancerEvo" wrote:
>> Hello to every1 out there!!!
>>
>> just want to ask, which OS is more stable among those listed? how much
>> better is Win ME compared to Win 98SE?
>>
>> hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.
>
> Which Windows Do I Choose:
> <http://aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm>
>
> Silj
>
> --
> siljaline
>
> MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Thanks for that link! It's the nicest summary for the "Which Windows?"
question I've seen.

O.G.