"Static" noise on audio - problem solved but may be of int..

Hi,

I've just finished putting together a system built from "oldish"
parts.

Asrock K7VM2 motherboard, with onboard sound, video etc.
Maxtor 80 gig drive
Liteon *52 Cd writer
Athlon 2000+

All seemed well until testing the sound. I found static noise was
coming through with the audio. Seemed to be caused whenever the hard
disc was active, but not too sure if this was the cause.

Tried a few things like

Checked the internet to see if anyone else had the same trouble
Updated the drivers
Changed the IDE leads, maybe one was damaged
Even moved the drive out of the case to see if that helped.

Eventually disconnected the audio lead that went from the back of the
Cd drive to the motherboard. Cds now play fine and I can only assume
the audio travels down the IDE lead. Problem must have been caused by
the audio only lead passing the same signal and giving some sort of
staticy feedback ?

Just mentioning this as it may be of use to someone in the future.

Mike

jad

sometimes one 'assumes' the pinouts are the same on the analog cable, from
the ROM to the audio input.