No volume from sound card

Just completed building a machine from parts I had in stock. Installed
WIinME and initially decided to use the motherboard inbuilt sound chip.
At maximum volume stetting, sounds can just be heard from a CD in the
CD-ROM drive.

Decided to try with a Creative PCI 5200 sound card and disable the
onboard sound. Same result - virtually nothing even with the volume
control fully turned up.

I am somewhat baffled as to what I might do next. Has anyone any ideas
that I might try?
--
David W Allen
Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk

"David W Allen" <david@oakleyvillage.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just completed building a machine from parts I had in stock. Installed
> WIinME and initially decided to use the motherboard inbuilt sound chip.
> At maximum volume stetting, sounds can just be heard from a CD in the
> CD-ROM drive.
>
> Decided to try with a Creative PCI 5200 sound card and disable the
> onboard sound. Same result - virtually nothing even with the volume
> control fully turned up.
>
> I am somewhat baffled as to what I might do next. Has anyone any ideas
> that I might try?

Is it JUST the CD sound that's faint, or is it ALL sounds that are faint?

If all, I usually debug sound issues with "Sound and Multimedia" in Control
Panel first, using the Windows start up tune.

- Bill

David W Allen wrote:
> Just completed building a machine from parts I had in stock. Installed
> WIinME and initially decided to use the motherboard inbuilt sound chip.
> At maximum volume stetting, sounds can just be heard from a CD in the
> CD-ROM drive.
>
> Decided to try with a Creative PCI 5200 sound card and disable the
> onboard sound. Same result - virtually nothing even with the volume
> control fully turned up.
>
> I am somewhat baffled as to what I might do next. Has anyone any ideas
> that I might try?

an amplifier ?

Rick

Clearly you need an amplifier, five surround sound speakers, and a killer
sub-woofer. Unbeknownst to you, the five gremlins snuck into your computer
whilst you slept, and made a
change that now requires amplifiers, speakers, etc.

They probably did it because they want you to upgrade to XP.

Walterius wrote:
> Clearly you need an amplifier, five surround sound speakers, and a killer
> sub-woofer.

I get a bit of a laugh from computer and car audio types which refer to
a 5" speaker as a "sub woofer"... I've got a couple old JBL's hanging
around which use 15" speakers and call them just "woofers" and I
regularly see bass players with 18" and theatre organ setups with >21"
speakers.

Rick

In message <hbSdnarTzs6YlFDfRVn-tw@giganews.com>, Bill Leary
<Bill_Leary@msn.com> writes
>"David W Allen" <david@oakleyvillage.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Just completed building a machine from parts I had in stock. Installed
>> WIinME and initially decided to use the motherboard inbuilt sound chip.
>> At maximum volume stetting, sounds can just be heard from a CD in the
>> CD-ROM drive.
>>
>> Decided to try with a Creative PCI 5200 sound card and disable the
>> onboard sound. Same result - virtually nothing even with the volume
>> control fully turned up.
>>
>> I am somewhat baffled as to what I might do next. Has anyone any ideas
>> that I might try?
>
>Is it JUST the CD sound that's faint, or is it ALL sounds that are faint?
>
>If all, I usually debug sound issues with "Sound and Multimedia" in Control
>Panel first, using the Windows start up tune.
>
> - Bill

All sounds. Another subscriber (Rick T) has suggested an amplifier. I
have never had to attach one of these to any computer that I have owned
or built.

Perhaps its my age....
--

David W Allen wrote:
> In message <hbSdnarTzs6YlFDfRVn-tw@giganews.com>, Bill Leary
> <Bill_Leary@msn.com> writes
>
>> "David W Allen" <david@oakleyvillage.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> Just completed building a machine from parts I had in stock. Installed
>>> WIinME and initially decided to use the motherboard inbuilt sound chip.
>>> At maximum volume stetting, sounds can just be heard from a CD in the
>>> CD-ROM drive.
>>>
>>> Decided to try with a Creative PCI 5200 sound card and disable the
>>> onboard sound. Same result - virtually nothing even with the volume
>>> control fully turned up.
>>>
>>> I am somewhat baffled as to what I might do next. Has anyone any ideas
>>> that I might try?
>>

>> Is it JUST the CD sound that's faint, or is it ALL sounds that are faint?
>>
>> If all, I usually debug sound issues with "Sound and Multimedia" in
>> Control
>> Panel first, using the Windows start up tune.
>>
>> - Bill
>

> All sounds. Another subscriber (Rick T) has suggested an amplifier. I
> have never had to attach one of these to any computer that I have owned
> or built.
>
> Perhaps its my age....

double-clicking on the speaker icon in the systray area will bring up a
mixer-window... max out the sliders.

Rick

> In message <hbSdnarTzs6YlFDfRVn-tw@giganews.com>, Bill Leary
> All sounds. Another subscriber (Rick T) has suggested an amplifier. I
> have never had to attach one of these to any computer that I have owned
> or built.

You shouldn't HAVE to use an amplifier. Unless you're plugged into "Line Out"
rather than "Speaker". The back of my computer has four connectors. Mic / Line
In / Line Out / Speakers. I seem to recall once putting the plug into "Line
Out" and getting something similar to what you describe.

My kids computer is even more fun. Mic / Line In / Line Out & Front Speakers /
Back Speakers / Floor Speakers.

Hmm. On my kids system you use software to select between Line Out and Front
Speakers operation. But if you've used two different sound cards, I doubt this
is the issue.

> Perhaps its my age....

Perhaps not. I use an old component stereo as my sound system. But just prior
to this, I was using a set of amplified speakers. When the amps were turned off
(button on the front) the sound output was significantly reduced, but not to
anything like what you describe. And I've also got a set of non-powered
speakers around here, which work OK too.

- Bill

In message <#WoG0evgFHA.2896@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Rick T
<plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> writes
>David W Allen wrote:
>> In message <hbSdnarTzs6YlFDfRVn-tw@giganews.com>, Bill Leary
>><Bill_Leary@msn.com> writes
>>
>>> "David W Allen" <david@oakleyvillage.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Is it JUST the CD sound that's faint, or is it ALL sounds that are faint?
>>>
>>> If all, I usually debug sound issues with "Sound and Multimedia" in
>>>Control
>>> Panel first, using the Windows start up tune.
>>>
>>> - Bill
>> All sounds. Another subscriber (Rick T) has suggested an amplifier.
>>I have never had to attach one of these to any computer that I have
>>owned or built.
>> Perhaps its my age....
>
>double-clicking on the speaker icon in the systray area will bring up a
>mixer-window... max out the sliders.

All volume controls have been put to maximum - without success.
--

In message <e3HMniwgFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, Walterius
<nohow@noway.not> writes
>Clearly you need an amplifier, five surround sound speakers, and a killer
>sub-woofer. Unbeknownst to you, the five gremlins snuck into your computer
>whilst you slept, and made a
>change that now requires amplifiers, speakers, etc.
>
>They probably did it because they want you to upgrade to XP.
>
>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> David W Allen wrote:
>> > Just completed building a machine from parts I had in stock. Installed
>> > WIinME and initially decided to use the motherboard inbuilt sound chip.
>> > At maximum volume stetting, sounds can just be heard from a CD in the
>> > CD-ROM drive.
>> >
>> > Decided to try with a Creative PCI 5200 sound card and disable the
>> > onboard sound. Same result - virtually nothing even with the volume
>> > control fully turned up.
>> >
>> > I am somewhat baffled as to what I might do next. Has anyone any ideas
>> > that I might try?
>>
>> an amplifier ?
>>

>> Rick

I take on board what you suggest. My principal machine (also home built)
has 5:1 surround sound with sub-woofer, running on WinXP There is no
amplifier on the system, but an expensive Videlogic sound card.

With considerable fiddling around, I now have a few decibels emanating
from the speakers, but nothing like the sounds I was expecting with a
Creative Soundblaster card.

Thanks for your help nevertheless.
--

David W Allen wrote:

> With considerable fiddling around, I now have a few decibels emanating
> from the speakers, but nothing like the sounds I was expecting with a
> Creative Soundblaster card.

where were you fiddling ?

You won't get much sound from non-amplified speakers. I used to use a
pair on my system... was good enough for system sounds and a little
audio but not anything supposed to project past the immediate desk top.

Rick

> Thanks for your help nevertheless.

Problem with BOTH devices!! Coincidence? What are you using to listen to
the sound?

Try a pair of headphones or another set of speakers. Then worry about an
amplifier.

Mart

In message <ebDsn0xgFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Mart
<mart@nospam.nospam> writes
>Problem with BOTH devices!! Coincidence? What are you using to listen to
>the sound?
>
>Try a pair of headphones or another set of speakers. Then worry about an
>amplifier.
>
>Mart
>

>"David W Allen" <david@oakleyvillage.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Just completed building a machine from parts I had in stock. Installed
>> WIinME and initially decided to use the motherboard inbuilt sound chip. At
>> maximum volume stetting, sounds can just be heard from a CD in the CD-ROM
>> drive.
>>
>> Decided to try with a Creative PCI 5200 sound card and disable the onboard
>> sound. Same result - virtually nothing even with the volume control fully
>> turned up.
>>
>> I am somewhat baffled as to what I might do next. Has anyone any ideas
>> that I might try?
>> --
>> David W Allen

Mart - just a pair of the standard speakers that used to be part of one
of my old computers. Nothing fancy at all and certainly not amplified.
Can't try earphones, don't possess a pair.

To respond to the "fiddling around" piece - uninstalled the sound card
drivers and then re-installed them. Put the PCI sound card into another
spare slot.

What gave me the minimal sound as a result of all that, I know not.
Since this machine has been built from spares that I have had lying
around following upgrades to my main machine, I am not going to spend a
vast amount of time attempting to correct what is appearing to be a
problem with the speakers. If I can sell the machine "as is", then I
will be happy.
--
David W Allen
Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk

David, wrote

> To respond to the "fiddling around" piece - uninstalled the sound card
> drivers and then re-installed them. Put the PCI sound card into another
> spare slot.

Maybe just a bad install of the driver?

I don't know about your particular soundcard but some early ISA sound cards
had onboard 'U'-links which would allow extra audio output. Might be worth a
closer look at the card, just in case.

Mart

> In message <ebDsn0xgFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Mart
> <mart@nospam.nospam> writes
>>Problem with BOTH devices!! Coincidence? What are you using to listen to
>>the sound?
>>
>>Try a pair of headphones or another set of speakers. Then worry about an
>>amplifier.
>>
>>Mart
>>

>>"David W Allen" <david@oakleyvillage.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Just completed building a machine from parts I had in stock. Installed
>>> WIinME and initially decided to use the motherboard inbuilt sound chip.
>>> At
>>> maximum volume stetting, sounds can just be heard from a CD in the
>>> CD-ROM
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> Decided to try with a Creative PCI 5200 sound card and disable the
>>> onboard
>>> sound. Same result - virtually nothing even with the volume control
>>> fully
>>> turned up.
>>>
>>> I am somewhat baffled as to what I might do next. Has anyone any ideas
>>> that I might try?
>>> --
>>> David W Allen
>
> Mart - just a pair of the standard speakers that used to be part of one
> of my old computers. Nothing fancy at all and certainly not amplified.
> Can't try earphones, don't possess a pair.
>
> To respond to the "fiddling around" piece - uninstalled the sound card
> drivers and then re-installed them. Put the PCI sound card into another
> spare slot.
>
> What gave me the minimal sound as a result of all that, I know not.
> Since this machine has been built from spares that I have had lying
> around following upgrades to my main machine, I am not going to spend a
> vast amount of time attempting to correct what is appearing to be a
> problem with the speakers. If I can sell the machine "as is", then I
> will be happy.
> --
> David W Allen
> Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk