Power question

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

Well, TiVo has finally upgraded to accept 802.11g routers. Now I can use
my D-Link I purchased so long ago and drop my older 802.11b router. My
problem is that now I can't find the power plug for the thing. It uses a
5V 3A DC supply. My question is: can I use an adapter with slightly
different specs? I found a few that are like 5V 1A, 4.5V or 6V. What room
to I have to move around here? Or do I need to go buy another adapter?
Many TIA!

James

>Well, TiVo has finally upgraded to accept 802.11g routers. Now I can use
>my D-Link I purchased so long ago and drop my older 802.11b router. My
>problem is that now I can't find the power plug for the thing. It uses a
>5V 3A DC supply. My question is: can I use an adapter with slightly
>different specs? I found a few that are like 5V 1A, 4.5V or 6V. What room
>to I have to move around here? Or do I need to go buy another adapter?
>Many TIA!
>
>James

I found a few that are like 5V 1A, 4.5V or 6V.

No, the 3A is nominal. So 4A should be ok. You can get the exact wall
wart at Radio shack for under $20, so I wouldn't risk it.

JustMe wrote:
> Well, TiVo has finally upgraded to accept 802.11g routers

This is the first I've heard of this. At the risk of sounding clueless:
(1) how can you tell (I'm assuming a software version number??

(2) Is there a listing of supported adapters?? I only see "b" adapters
on their web site...