Bluetooth Internet Sharing

August 19, 2004 9:58:20 PM

I am still no further down the line in getting my IPAQ 2210 to access the
Internet via my PC.

Here is my setup

PC XP Professional with Advanced file sharing enabled (i.e. strict settings
so certain users can/cant access certain folders)
with bluetooth dongle
10/100 LAN with an IP address of 10.0.0.x (assigned by the DCHP on the
ADSL router)

ADSL router with an IP address of 10.0.0.2 (this router is not connected to
the PC) Providing the Internet connection.

and my IPAQ

I have created an account on the PC with the IPAQ's name so it can access
the files/folders I want it to.
I have also set the BT Network adapter TCP/IP address as 192.168.0.1 with
the subnet of 255.255.255.0

I have paired up the devices and I can establish BT connection but I can not
however access any folders or files on the server from the IPAQ.

When I run VXutil it says the Current PDA IP address is 127.0.0.0 so the
network connection has not been established correctly, even though the BT
manager says that the BT device is connected.

If I attempt to access the PC via file explorer on the PPC I type in the
path \\server name\network share name\ it says connecting to the server
then says the network path cannot be found and the network resource cannot
be found or you do not have permission to access the network

On the PC the bluetooth icon in the says tray indicates that there is an
active connection (its green) so the PDA is connected.

Please can some one help me - I have asked for help before and just got
pointed to a web site which didn't help me at all,

Thanks

email address is blazer666 (at) fast24 (dot) co (dot) uk
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 9:58:21 PM

You don't want to use 10.0.0.x with 192.168.0.x. Stick
to the 192.168.0.x range (x being 2 to 254) since if
you use ICS the ICS host machine has to be 192.168.0.1.
Get your router to use only 192.168.0.x. ICS is really
a pain, but there you go. You'd be better off forgetting
about BT and using a wi-fi card instead. This way you'd
use your router as your gateway and do away with ICS
completely. Get a wi-fi card that supports WPA (not many
do). You can do it using BT (I have, w/ICS) but why?
You can't go very far away from your computer with BT,
so you might as well sit at the computer and surf. It's
been a long time since I used ICS (and with it, BT) so
it beats me what the problem is, other than the the 10.
versus 192.

>Please can some one help me - I have asked for help before and just got
>pointed to a web site which didn't help me at all,

Wuuuuht? Does that really happen?

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs

How can I use to IP address with the same range on 2 different networks?
this wont work as the router assigns the Internal IP addresses to my LAN.
My bluetooth works fine all over my house (except the attic) so I have no
need to get a wi-fi I want to use my bluetooth as it is more than adequate
in range and signal strength (I have a hi-powered dongle!)

I didn't say I was using ICS I have not been able to get the network running
so I cant get ICS working before the BT network is up and running correctly.
August 20, 2004 11:59:57 AM

>How can I use to IP address with the same range on 2 different networks?

Good question. It'd probably work, but maybe not. I know
I had it that way for a while, and then moved it (BT/PAN)
onto its own because I was having ... a problem. I keep
on until it works, and don't look back so what the problem
was I don't know.

>this wont work as the router assigns the Internal IP addresses to my LAN.

Your router (dhcp) config should let you assign a range
of addresses it gives out. If you have a combined
router/AP, it may all be moot (no idea why that'd matter,
other than I don't think you can get an address via BT).

You don't need to use dhcp for everything. Put a static
IP on the BT/PAN adapter (see previous msg from me today
in this thread) if you can -- no reason why you can't.

>My bluetooth works fine all over my house (except the attic) so I have no
>need to get a wi-fi I want to use my bluetooth as it is more than adequate
>in range and signal strength (I have a hi-powered dongle!)

High power has to go both ways. I don't think you PDA has
high power BT.

>I didn't say I was using ICS I have not been able to get the network running
>so I cant get ICS working before the BT network is up and running correctly.

Oh, well, ICS only works when the host is at 192.168.0.1.
Matter of fact, it forces your host there. You shouldn't
need to use ICS, though. Well, not if you have wifi, and
a router. I never tried much to get BT/PAN out of the LAN,
especially after I put BT/PAN on its own subnet. ICS may
be the easy way to get BT out to the internet, though.
It's the price you have to pay. You could probably use
a proxy software solution instead of ICS (I used to way
back). The main drawback (remaining, after the obvious
ones) to using BT is you need your main desktop PC powered
on ...

.... with wi-fi, you can leave your PC off and connect
to the internet through the router+AP. No PC in the
mix at all. That's even more convenience you get
from wifi. It costs a little now, but it makes up
for it in your time. Unless your time isn't worth
much, that matters.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs
mp3, ogg, mp4, m4a, aac, wav, and then some
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 12:51:25 PM

del@here.com wrote:

> I didn't say I was using ICS I have not been able to get the network running
> so I cant get ICS working before the BT network is up and running correctly.

That may be your problem then, but first let me make sure I understand
what you have done. You enabled the Bluetooth "Network Access Service"
on your computer and then you have connected to that service from your
PPC. Correct? On your computer you need to either enable ICS or bridge
the Bluetooth network to your home network. Your PPC is looking for a
DHCP server. With ICS the PC will act as the DHCP server, or if you
bridge the networks the PPC can see the ADSL router and get assigned an
IP by it.

As it looks now, your PPC is connected but without a real IP address is
won't be able to do much.

--
PeteT
Remove DONTSPAM. to reply.

PT [Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:51:25 -0400]:
>As it looks now, your PPC is connected but without a real IP address is
>won't be able to do much.

You can set a static IP number for BT/PAN from the network cards
config panel (on the PDA): device is "Bluetooth PAN User Driver".
Tap that and you get the config panel. Use specific IP address:
x.y.z.a. If you don't use a static IP, you'll more than likely get
stuck with the default 169.254.stuff. I'd still get a wi-fi card,
though.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs
mp3, ogg, mp4, m4a, aac, wav, and then some
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:06:31 PM

I agree PAN is the way to go but.... Not all devices support PAN, either on
the server side, or the Pocket PC side.

OTOH, LAP (LAN Access PPP) is more widely available, and this one *requires*
a DHCP, mostly provided by ICS. LAP is like a dial-up trying to connect to a
PPP server, which is provided by the Bluetooth stack, and requests for IP
and other information are sent to the guess? ICS or Bridge.

So, if you have Pocket PC OS 2002, you're stuck with LAP. If you have
Windows Mobile 2003 with Widcomm BTW-CE stack (Dell, HP), then you can use
PAN, but only if your Bluetooth software on the server offers this.
Otherwise downgrade back to LAP.

PAN should give all the functionality of a standard LAN, plus the choice of
DHCP client or Static IP address.

Your choice. Of course you have to consider personal firewalls, network in
same segment, and you have to know a minimum of how the configuration works,
otherwise it'll be an endless tweaking.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

<hel@40th.com> wrote in message news:embkcZshEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >How can I use to IP address with the same range on 2 different networks?
>
> Good question. It'd probably work, but maybe not. I know
> I had it that way for a while, and then moved it (BT/PAN)
> onto its own because I was having ... a problem. I keep
> on until it works, and don't look back so what the problem
> was I don't know.
>
> >this wont work as the router assigns the Internal IP addresses to my
LAN.

> Your router (dhcp) config should let you assign a range
> of addresses it gives out. If you have a combined
> router/AP, it may all be moot (no idea why that'd matter,
> other than I don't think you can get an address via BT).
>
> You don't need to use dhcp for everything. Put a static
> IP on the BT/PAN adapter (see previous msg from me today
> in this thread) if you can -- no reason why you can't.
>
> >My bluetooth works fine all over my house (except the attic) so I have
no
> >need to get a wi-fi I want to use my bluetooth as it is more than
adequate
> >in range and signal strength (I have a hi-powered dongle!)
>
> High power has to go both ways. I don't think you PDA has
> high power BT.
>
> >I didn't say I was using ICS I have not been able to get the network
running
> >so I cant get ICS working before the BT network is up and running
correctly.

> Oh, well, ICS only works when the host is at 192.168.0.1.
> Matter of fact, it forces your host there. You shouldn't
> need to use ICS, though. Well, not if you have wifi, and
> a router. I never tried much to get BT/PAN out of the LAN,
> especially after I put BT/PAN on its own subnet. ICS may
> be the easy way to get BT out to the internet, though.
> It's the price you have to pay. You could probably use
> a proxy software solution instead of ICS (I used to way
> back). The main drawback (remaining, after the obvious
> ones) to using BT is you need your main desktop PC powered
> on ...
>
> ... with wi-fi, you can leave your PC off and connect
> to the internet through the router+AP. No PC in the
> mix at all. That's even more convenience you get
> from wifi. It costs a little now, but it makes up
> for it in your time. Unless your time isn't worth
> much, that matters.
>
> --
> 40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
> iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs
> mp3, ogg, mp4, m4a, aac, wav, and then some
August 21, 2004 3:52:09 PM

Ok I have changed the BT dongles IP address to 192.168.0.1

have gone into network connections on the PPC (IPAQ 2210 Win2003) picked
the bluetooth PAN User Driver and entered the following details:

Use specific IP address 192.168.0.12 Subnet 255.255.255.0

Under the named servers tag I have entered my ISP's DNS and Alt DNS

I then reset the PPC and reboot the PC.

I tap on the network connection to my PC on the PPC, it connects via BT, I
then run the VxUtil it shows the PPC address to be 192.168.0.12. I then PING
a known server via VxUtil it takes its time (this time) but cannot find
host.

Any Ideas?

There is a plus??? side though I can connect to the PC for file transfers
now, on the PCC I am asked to enter my username and password, so I enter and
username that is on the PC this works as I can see the files and folders on
the PC but the PPC locks up when I try to enter a folder or copy a file.

Thanks for the input
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 7:23:13 PM

You also need to set up the BT dongle for Internet Sharing, which will then
turn you PC into a router passing packets from the BT network to the
internet (however it gets to that). That is normally where you set the IP,
it has an option to share this connection. And you need to set 192.168.0.1
on the PPC as the Gateway address. That tells it to send any packet not in
the 192.168.0.x subnet to the PC for forwarding.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
<del@here.com> wrote in message
> Ok I have changed the BT dongles IP address to 192.168.0.1
>
> have gone into network connections on the PPC (IPAQ 2210 Win2003) picked
> the bluetooth PAN User Driver and entered the following details:
>
> Use specific IP address 192.168.0.12 Subnet 255.255.255.0
>
> Under the named servers tag I have entered my ISP's DNS and Alt DNS
>
> I then reset the PPC and reboot the PC.
>
> I tap on the network connection to my PC on the PPC, it connects via BT, I
> then run the VxUtil it shows the PPC address to be 192.168.0.12. I then
PING
> a known server via VxUtil it takes its time (this time) but cannot find
> host.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> There is a plus??? side though I can connect to the PC for file transfers
> now, on the PCC I am asked to enter my username and password, so I enter
and
> username that is on the PC this works as I can see the files and folders
on
> the PC but the PPC locks up when I try to enter a folder or copy a file.
>
> Thanks for the input
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:54:07 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:23:13 -0600, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
<sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You also need to set up the BT dongle for Internet Sharing, which will then
>turn you PC into a router passing packets from the BT network to the
>internet (however it gets to that). That is normally where you set the IP,
>it has an option to share this connection. And you need to set 192.168.0.1
>on the PPC as the Gateway address. That tells it to send any packet not in
>the 192.168.0.x subnet to the PC for forwarding.

You don't need to use ICS if you're using XP (pro?) and can set up
internet bridging. This has many advantages. The most important is
that if you've already got a broadband router or server set up as
192.168.0.1, you won't need to change it and the rest of the network
just to get your gadget live. Secondly, you won't have to use ICS at
all which has never been better than flaky.
August 22, 2004 7:17:56 AM

How can I turn ICS on? is there a command or file I can run to active ICS?

Thanks
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 10:48:55 PM

Del, it's in our Bluetooth Guides. You said before that you followed them
and it didn't work. Try again. Don't skip any step. There's an explanation
for each step there...

!