Paint won't let me save files as JPG

Something has changed in my MS Paint program. I can load, display, and edit
JPG files, but it will only save them as BMP files. What happened? How to
Fix? Appreciate any help.
OM

MS Paint can natively only read and save bmp files and needs filters from
other products such as MS Office to be able to save files as jpgs etc. Do
you have such a product installed? There can also be problems with MS
Paint following the installation of Service packs to MS Office 2000.

See MS KB251351 - "Cannot View Files Other Than Bitmaps in Microsoft
Paint" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=251351) and also KB298580 -
"Some Office Graphics Filters Are Not Available in Microsoft Paint"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298580) and KB299953 - "You May Be
Unable to Save .jpg Files with Microsoft Paint After You Install Office
2000 SR1 or SP2" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299953).
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

OM <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:

> Something has changed in my MS Paint program. I can load, display,
> and edit JPG files, but it will only save them as BMP files. What
> happened? How to Fix? Appreciate any help.
> OM

Alias

Clean out your temporary files.
--
Alias

"OM" <Nomail@msn.com> wrote

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> Clean out your temporary files.

NO help.

But did you read my post?
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

> But did you read my post?
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Yes Mike - but not sure what to do. Paint worked - reading & writing JPG's -
before I installed Works Suite 2003 a couple of years ago. Sudenly, it
doesn't want to save in JPG format. Using an IBM (Pentium 3) "NetVista" with
ME as its operating system. What would most likely re-enable the JPG store
operation? OM

You can try this little diddy. I've done this procedure last year when I was
using the Paint app. Read carefully and backup the registry before attempting
this. After a successful operation you should be able to save graphics with
the .gif and .jpg extensions with microsoft paint.
<< http://www.geocities.com/one_human/advanced.html#mspaint_fix >>

OM <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:

> Yes Mike - but not sure what to do. Paint worked - reading & writing
> JPG's - before I installed Works Suite 2003 a couple of years ago.
> Sudenly, it doesn't want to save in JPG format. Using an IBM (Pentium
> 3) "NetVista" with ME as its operating system. What would most likely
> re-enable the JPG store operation? OM

You could try following some of the suggestions in those KB articles. For
example have you tried opening a jpg using MSPaint (KB298580)?
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

> OM <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes Mike - but not sure what to do. Paint worked - reading & writing
> > JPG's - before I installed Works Suite 2003 a couple of years ago.
> > Sudenly, it doesn't want to save in JPG format. Using an IBM (Pentium
> > 3) "NetVista" with ME as its operating system. What would most likely
> > re-enable the JPG store operation? OM
>
> You could try following some of the suggestions in those KB articles. For
> example have you tried opening a jpg using MSPaint (KB298580)?
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

As you guessed, I didn't follow through, Mike.
Indeed, "Unable to Save .jpg Files with Microsoft Paint After You Install
Office
2000 SR1 or SP2" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299953) " did the
trick.

Thanks! OM

OM,

Whether you followed through or not is immaterial. What is more important
is that you are now able to save jpgs. Thanks for letting us know you
have managed to fix the problem. Well done!

Best wishes,
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

OM <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:

> As you guessed, I didn't follow through, Mike.
> Indeed, "Unable to Save .jpg Files with Microsoft Paint After You
> Install Office
> 2000 SR1 or SP2" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299953) " did the
> trick.
>
> Thanks! OM

clifford1297

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Just add this Registry keys, it will work

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters\Export\JPEG]
"Path"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\MICROS~1\\GRPHFLT\\JPEGIM32.FLT"
"Name"="JPEG File Interchange Format"
"Extensions"="jpg"