Paint won't let me save files as JPG

Something has changed in my MS Paint program. I can load, display, and edit
JPG files, but it will only save them as BMP files. What happened? How to
Fix? Appreciate any help.
OM
10 answers Last reply
More about paint save files

    MS Paint can natively only read and save bmp files and needs filters from
    other products such as MS Office to be able to save files as jpgs etc. Do
    you have such a product installed? There can also be problems with MS
    Paint following the installation of Service packs to MS Office 2000.

    See MS KB251351 - "Cannot View Files Other Than Bitmaps in Microsoft
    Paint" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=251351) and also KB298580 -
    "Some Office Graphics Filters Are Not Available in Microsoft Paint"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298580) and KB299953 - "You May Be
    Unable to Save .jpg Files with Microsoft Paint After You Install Office
    2000 SR1 or SP2" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299953).
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    OM <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:

    > Something has changed in my MS Paint program. I can load, display,
    > and edit JPG files, but it will only save them as BMP files. What
    > happened? How to Fix? Appreciate any help.
    > OM

    Clean out your temporary files.
    --
    Alias

    "OM" <Nomail@msn.com> wrote

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > Clean out your temporary files.

    NO help.

    But did you read my post?
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > But did you read my post?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Yes Mike - but not sure what to do. Paint worked - reading & writing JPG's -
    before I installed Works Suite 2003 a couple of years ago. Sudenly, it
    doesn't want to save in JPG format. Using an IBM (Pentium 3) "NetVista" with
    ME as its operating system. What would most likely re-enable the JPG store
    operation? OM

    You can try this little diddy. I've done this procedure last year when I was
    using the Paint app. Read carefully and backup the registry before attempting
    this. After a successful operation you should be able to save graphics with
    the .gif and .jpg extensions with microsoft paint.
    << http://www.geocities.com/one_human/advanced.html#mspaint_fix >>

    OM <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:

    > Yes Mike - but not sure what to do. Paint worked - reading & writing
    > JPG's - before I installed Works Suite 2003 a couple of years ago.
    > Sudenly, it doesn't want to save in JPG format. Using an IBM (Pentium
    > 3) "NetVista" with ME as its operating system. What would most likely
    > re-enable the JPG store operation? OM

    You could try following some of the suggestions in those KB articles. For
    example have you tried opening a jpg using MSPaint (KB298580)?
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > OM <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes Mike - but not sure what to do. Paint worked - reading & writing
    > > JPG's - before I installed Works Suite 2003 a couple of years ago.
    > > Sudenly, it doesn't want to save in JPG format. Using an IBM (Pentium
    > > 3) "NetVista" with ME as its operating system. What would most likely
    > > re-enable the JPG store operation? OM
    >
    > You could try following some of the suggestions in those KB articles. For
    > example have you tried opening a jpg using MSPaint (KB298580)?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    As you guessed, I didn't follow through, Mike.
    Indeed, "Unable to Save .jpg Files with Microsoft Paint After You Install
    Office
    2000 SR1 or SP2" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299953) " did the
    trick.

    Thanks! OM

    OM,

    Whether you followed through or not is immaterial. What is more important
    is that you are now able to save jpgs. Thanks for letting us know you
    have managed to fix the problem. Well done!

    Best wishes,
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    OM <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:

    > As you guessed, I didn't follow through, Mike.
    > Indeed, "Unable to Save .jpg Files with Microsoft Paint After You
    > Install Office
    > 2000 SR1 or SP2" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299953) " did the
    > trick.
    >
    > Thanks! OM
  10. Just add this Registry keys, it will work

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters\Export\JPEG]
    "Path"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\MICROS~1\\GRPHFLT\\JPEGIM32.FLT"
    "Name"="JPEG File Interchange Format"
    "Extensions"="jpg"

Microsoft Windows Displays