replacing NIC; do I need to reinstall ICS fresh?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 7, 2005 4:54:48 PM

I am replacing an apparently dead NIC. It was configured with ICS. In the
course of testing that NIC, I moved it to another PCI slot (was prompted for
drivers, and did that) and still the card wouldn't work. ..so I am replacing
the card.

QUESTION.. Do I have to uninstall and reinstall ICS for a proper setup after
I plug in a brand new NIC? The new NIC will be a different brand than the
original too. Or. will WinME resolve all the ICS and network stuff that was
already achieved and working well before the original card failed?
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 11:19:48 PM

Hello, Jerry!
You wrote on Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:25:59 -0700:

J> Can't help you with ICS and ME. I am running XP Home on one and XP Pro
J> on the other with both connected to a router and a cable modem so my
J> familiarity with ICS is nil.

Thank's for trying. I got the network back to life! I decided to uninstall
ICS, and simply walk through the few NetWizard prompts again. That's all it
took. At reboot, the proper 192.168.*.* subnet then became active.

ICS is the only practical solution for me right now. I'd love to use a
router, but then I would still have a problem making my dialup shared. I
was looking at routers with dialup backup features.. but the few that I
learned about didn't remain available too long! An aquaintence informed me
that a couple of D-Link 713P 's were available on eBay.. but that was after
he already bought them! :/  That model would be ideal.. it's wireless too!
Another product I learned about today is the Webramp 310e (on eBay).. but
it's not wireless. That one is a bit too expensive when shipping is added.
So.. I'll stick with my wired ICS solution for now... and only when I am
ready to add a 3rd pc to the mix.
!