replacing NIC; do I need to reinstall ICS fresh?

Tags:
  • NIC
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 7, 2005 4:54:48 PM

I am replacing an apparently dead NIC. It was configured with ICS. In the
course of testing that NIC, I moved it to another PCI slot (was prompted for
drivers, and did that) and still the card wouldn't work. ..so I am replacing
the card.

QUESTION.. Do I have to uninstall and reinstall ICS for a proper setup after
I plug in a brand new NIC? The new NIC will be a different brand than the
original too. Or. will WinME resolve all the ICS and network stuff that was
already achieved and working well before the original card failed?

More about : replacing nic reinstall ics fresh

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 11:19:48 PM

Hello, Jerry!
You wrote on Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:25:59 -0700:

J> Can't help you with ICS and ME. I am running XP Home on one and XP Pro
J> on the other with both connected to a router and a cable modem so my
J> familiarity with ICS is nil.

Thank's for trying. I got the network back to life! I decided to uninstall
ICS, and simply walk through the few NetWizard prompts again. That's all it
took. At reboot, the proper 192.168.*.* subnet then became active.

ICS is the only practical solution for me right now. I'd love to use a
router, but then I would still have a problem making my dialup shared. I
was looking at routers with dialup backup features.. but the few that I
learned about didn't remain available too long! An aquaintence informed me
that a couple of D-Link 713P 's were available on eBay.. but that was after
he already bought them! :/  That model would be ideal.. it's wireless too!
Another product I learned about today is the Webramp 310e (on eBay).. but
it's not wireless. That one is a bit too expensive when shipping is added.
So.. I'll stick with my wired ICS solution for now... and only when I am
ready to add a 3rd pc to the mix.