Mike-Feedback-No Automatic System Restore Points

Posted a while back about that I was no longer getting any automatic System
Restore points. No error messages, able to create manual restore points,
and as far as I could tell, all other functions of SR were normal. I
related this to about the same time frame that I downloaded and installed
Avast AntiVirus. Did some research and on one of Avast's message forums I
found that there was some past history relating Avast, ME and no automatic
SR points. No solutions, just "what's going on?" I contacted Avast Tech
support asking if there was any known interaction/conflicts between Avast,
ME and "no automatic restore points". Received the following answer:
"we suggest to completely turn off system restore in windows, as most of
the viruses uses it to reinfect the computer again and therefor they
are unremovable."
Some response, huh!
I then completely disabled Avast--System tray Icon and via msconfig.
rebooted and left the computer alone for a couple of hours. Opened System
Restore and guess what? Sitting there was a Restore Point. Will be getting
back to Avast Support and see if they have any comments.
MLD
4 answers Last reply
More about mike feedback automatic system restore points

    MLD:

    I am caught in exactly the same situation.
    My restore points have to be created manually and at the end of the month
    they get wiped automatically.
    So far I was able to get by without trouble, because my system is apparently
    clean. But I would like to see it working properly. Had no idea that Avast
    could be the problem.
    Will you be so kind and keep us informed about your progress with them?
    If possible I'd prefer to keep Avast for the simple reason that it's easy to
    handle and it is efficient also.
    Thanks for the enlightenment.

    Harry.

    "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Posted a while back about that I was no longer getting any automatic
    System
    > Restore points. No error messages, able to create manual restore points,
    > and as far as I could tell, all other functions of SR were normal. I
    > related this to about the same time frame that I downloaded and installed
    > Avast AntiVirus. Did some research and on one of Avast's message forums I
    > found that there was some past history relating Avast, ME and no automatic
    > SR points. No solutions, just "what's going on?" I contacted Avast Tech
    > support asking if there was any known interaction/conflicts between Avast,
    > ME and "no automatic restore points". Received the following answer:
    > "we suggest to completely turn off system restore in windows, as most of
    > the viruses uses it to reinfect the computer again and therefor they
    > are unremovable."
    > Some response, huh!
    > I then completely disabled Avast--System tray Icon and via msconfig.
    > rebooted and left the computer alone for a couple of hours. Opened System
    > Restore and guess what? Sitting there was a Restore Point. Will be
    getting
    > back to Avast Support and see if they have any comments.
    > MLD

    MLD,

    Thanks for the information and the useful information that you have
    determined that using Avast appears to prevent the creation of automatic
    system restore checkpoints.

    As for Avast's response, it only goes to show that seeming professionals
    know so little about how an operating system works or the purpose of
    system restore. To date no viruses are known that "use" system restore as
    a launch point and clearly the person concerned was thinking instead that
    it is possible to re-infect a system by rolling back a system to a
    checkpoint created whilst the system was infected. Totally ignoring the
    alternative of rolling an infected or compromised system back to a
    checkpoint created when the system was clean. The easiest way to demolish
    Avast's argument is to disable/flush the restore archive just as soon as
    the system is clean which then means that it is impossible to return to an
    infected checkpoint. This however still permits the user to roll back a
    compromised system to the state it was in before it was compromised.

    Regards, and thanks again for the feedback,
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    MLD <MLD@verizon.net> wrote:

    > Posted a while back about that I was no longer getting any automatic
    > System Restore points. No error messages, able to create manual
    > restore points, and as far as I could tell, all other functions of SR
    > were normal. I related this to about the same time frame that I
    > downloaded and installed Avast AntiVirus. Did some research and on
    > one of Avast's message forums I found that there was some past
    > history relating Avast, ME and no automatic SR points. No solutions,
    > just "what's going on?" I contacted Avast Tech support asking if
    > there was any known interaction/conflicts between Avast, ME and "no
    > automatic restore points". Received the following answer: "we
    > suggest to completely turn off system restore in windows, as most of
    > the viruses uses it to reinfect the computer again and therefor they
    > are unremovable."
    > Some response, huh!
    > I then completely disabled Avast--System tray Icon and via msconfig.
    > rebooted and left the computer alone for a couple of hours. Opened
    > System Restore and guess what? Sitting there was a Restore Point.
    > Will be getting back to Avast Support and see if they have any
    > comments.
    > MLD

    Harry, there's every reason why you should try to confirm MLD's
    observations. To just sit there and do nothing is not very helpful to the
    WinMe community. Even if you think Avast is the best thing since sliced
    bread, you could temporally switch to say, AVG, if only to prove the point.

    You can soon reinstall Avast after you have tested the hypothesis.

    Mart

    > MLD:
    >
    > I am caught in exactly the same situation.
    > My restore points have to be created manually and at the end of the month
    > they get wiped automatically.
    > So far I was able to get by without trouble, because my system is
    > apparently
    > clean. But I would like to see it working properly. Had no idea that Avast
    > could be the problem.
    > Will you be so kind and keep us informed about your progress with them?
    > If possible I'd prefer to keep Avast for the simple reason that it's easy
    > handle and it is efficient also.
    > Thanks for the enlightenment.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Posted a while back about that I was no longer getting any automatic
    > System
    >> Restore points. No error messages, able to create manual restore points,
    >> and as far as I could tell, all other functions of SR were normal. I
    >> related this to about the same time frame that I downloaded and installed
    >> Avast AntiVirus. Did some research and on one of Avast's message forums
    >> found that there was some past history relating Avast, ME and no
    >> automatic
    >> SR points. No solutions, just "what's going on?" I contacted Avast Tech
    >> support asking if there was any known interaction/conflicts between
    >> Avast,
    >> ME and "no automatic restore points". Received the following answer:
    >> "we suggest to completely turn off system restore in windows, as most
    >> of
    >> the viruses uses it to reinfect the computer again and therefor they
    >> are unremovable."
    >> Some response, huh!
    >> I then completely disabled Avast--System tray Icon and via msconfig.
    >> rebooted and left the computer alone for a couple of hours. Opened
    >> System
    >> Restore and guess what? Sitting there was a Restore Point. Will be
    > getting
    >> back to Avast Support and see if they have any comments.
    >> MLD

    Consider it confirmed, ..... Mart.

    Harry.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Harry, there's every reason why you should try to confirm MLD's
    > observations. To just sit there and do nothing is not very helpful to the
    > WinMe community. Even if you think Avast is the best thing since sliced
    > bread, you could temporally switch to say, AVG, if only to prove the
    point.

    > You can soon reinstall Avast after you have tested the hypothesis.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > MLD:
    > >
    > > I am caught in exactly the same situation.
    > > My restore points have to be created manually and at the end of the
    month
    > > they get wiped automatically.
    > > So far I was able to get by without trouble, because my system is
    > > apparently
    > > clean. But I would like to see it working properly. Had no idea that
    Avast
    > > could be the problem.
    > > Will you be so kind and keep us informed about your progress with them?
    > > If possible I'd prefer to keep Avast for the simple reason that it's
    easy
    > > handle and it is efficient also.
    > > Thanks for the enlightenment.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >> Posted a while back about that I was no longer getting any automatic
    > > System
    > >> Restore points. No error messages, able to create manual restore
    points,
    > >> and as far as I could tell, all other functions of SR were normal. I
    > >> related this to about the same time frame that I downloaded and
    installed
    > >> Avast AntiVirus. Did some research and on one of Avast's message
    forums
    > >> found that there was some past history relating Avast, ME and no
    > >> automatic
    > >> SR points. No solutions, just "what's going on?" I contacted Avast
    Tech
    > >> support asking if there was any known interaction/conflicts between
    > >> Avast,
    > >> ME and "no automatic restore points". Received the following answer:
    > >> "we suggest to completely turn off system restore in windows, as most
    > >> of
    > >> the viruses uses it to reinfect the computer again and therefor they
    > >> are unremovable."
    > >> Some response, huh!
    > >> I then completely disabled Avast--System tray Icon and via msconfig.
    > >> rebooted and left the computer alone for a couple of hours. Opened
    > >> System
    > >> Restore and guess what? Sitting there was a Restore Point. Will be
    > > getting
    > >> back to Avast Support and see if they have any comments.
    > >> MLD

System Restore Windows