Suggestion on building a PC...

Hi everyone,

It's the first time I will try to build a PC by myself and would like
some advice. Here is what I plan to get so far:

Socket 939 A64 3200+
Kinsgton 2 x 512Mb PC3200 (KVR400X64C3AK21G)
ASUS A8N-SLI
eVGA GeForce 6600GT
NEC ND-3520A DL DVD+-RW

Already have a WD 160Gb 7200 rpm 8Mb buffer that I plan to reuse.

I'd like to know what would be the best PSU to use with this combo?
and a good case to use to house all this stuff?? As far as cases goes,
I was leaning toward the ThermalTake Soprano or SViking, but I am open
to any suggestions.

Also, if you have better ideas for the parts, feel free to comment on
it. I want to have a very good porformer at an affordable price.
(Mostly to play games).

Thanks for you help!

"Eric Bouchard" <ericb27@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> It's the first time I will try to build a PC by myself and would like some
> advice. Here is what I plan to get so far:
>
> Socket 939 A64 3200+
> Kinsgton 2 x 512Mb PC3200 (KVR400X64C3AK21G)
> ASUS A8N-SLI
> eVGA GeForce 6600GT
> NEC ND-3520A DL DVD+-RW
>
> Already have a WD 160Gb 7200 rpm 8Mb buffer that I plan to reuse.
>
> I'd like to know what would be the best PSU to use with this combo? and a
> good case to use to house all this stuff?? As far as cases goes, I was
> leaning toward the ThermalTake Soprano or SViking, but I am open to any
> suggestions.
>
> Also, if you have better ideas for the parts, feel free to comment on it.
> I want to have a very good porformer at an affordable price. (Mostly to
> play games).
>
> Thanks for you help!

Take a look at the Antec Sonata case. It's a beautifully
designed and really high-quality case and comes with a
premium quality Antec 380W power supply.

> Take a look at the Antec Sonata case. It's a beautifully
> designed and really high-quality case and comes with a
> premium quality Antec 380W power supply.

Sounds like an interesting case. and 380 Watts would be enough to
power all of this?? For some reason I thought it would need a bit
more... Already have an Antec Trupower 330W but I am sure that would
not be enough :)

>> Socket 939 A64 3200+
>> Kinsgton 2 x 512Mb PC3200 (KVR400X64C3AK21G)
>> ASUS A8N-SLI
>> eVGA GeForce 6600GT
>> NEC ND-3520A DL DVD+-RW
>> Already have a WD 160Gb 7200 rpm 8Mb buffer that I plan to reuse.
>> I'd like to know what would be the best PSU to use with this combo? and a
>> good case to use to house all this stuff?? As far as cases goes, I was
>> leaning toward the ThermalTake Soprano or SViking, but I am open to any
>> suggestions.
>
> Take a look at the Antec Sonata case. It's a beautifully
> designed and really high-quality case and comes with a
> premium quality Antec 380W power supply.

The Antec 380W PS in the Sonata case does not support
the ATX12V 2.0 requirement of the ASUS A8N-SLI.
Those motherboards use a 24-pin power connector
rather than a 20-pin one standard for ATX PS's.
We are a dealer and recommend something along the
lines of an Antec 550W True Power EPS12V,
Fortron 400W or 500W ATX 12V 2.0, etc.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

> The Antec 380W PS in the Sonata case does not support
> the ATX12V 2.0 requirement of the ASUS A8N-SLI.
> Those motherboards use a 24-pin power connector
> rather than a 20-pin one standard for ATX PS's.
> We are a dealer and recommend something along the
> lines of an Antec 550W True Power EPS12V,
> Fortron 400W or 500W ATX 12V 2.0, etc.

So, I should be looking for a ATX12V 2.0 for this setup? Sounds good.
I have an Antec Trupower 330W right now and think it is a great PSU...
might go along that path... heard good things about Fortron, but never
actually seen one in action. How would it compare to the Antec one?

"KC Computers" <kc@REMOVEkc-computers.com> wrote in message

>> Take a look at the Antec Sonata case. It's a beautifully
>> designed and really high-quality case and comes with a
>> premium quality Antec 380W power supply.
>
> The Antec 380W PS in the Sonata case does not support
> the ATX12V 2.0 requirement of the ASUS A8N-SLI.
> Those motherboards use a 24-pin power connector
> rather than a 20-pin one standard for ATX PS's.
> We are a dealer and recommend something along the
> lines of an Antec 550W True Power EPS12V,
> Fortron 400W or 500W ATX 12V 2.0, etc.

Interesting point - and perhaps a reason to consider the Asus A8V
motherboard instead. However, if you're a dealer, then you certainly
know that that 24-20 pin power connector adaptors are available too.
OTOH, I'd recommend staying with a MB meeting the ATX standard
to simplify one's life downstream. Go with the A8V. Great board.

CapeGuy wrote:
> "KC Computers" <kc@REMOVEkc-computers.com> wrote in message
>
>>>Take a look at the Antec Sonata case. It's a beautifully
>>>designed and really high-quality case and comes with a
>>>premium quality Antec 380W power supply.
>>
>>The Antec 380W PS in the Sonata case does not support
>>the ATX12V 2.0 requirement of the ASUS A8N-SLI.
>>Those motherboards use a 24-pin power connector
>>rather than a 20-pin one standard for ATX PS's.
>>We are a dealer and recommend something along the
>>lines of an Antec 550W True Power EPS12V,
>>Fortron 400W or 500W ATX 12V 2.0, etc.
>
> Interesting point - and perhaps a reason to consider the Asus A8V
> motherboard instead. However, if you're a dealer, then you certainly
> know that that 24-20 pin power connector adaptors are available too.
> OTOH, I'd recommend staying with a MB meeting the ATX standard
> to simplify one's life downstream. Go with the A8V. Great board.

Seconded. I have the SViking case; slightly cramped workspace,
but doable. One warning on my SViking; it will not take brass
standoffs for ATX (board is raised 1/4" too high).

--
Neopets! It's FREE! Create and care for a virtual pet, explore,
play games and more!

> Seconded. I have the SViking case; slightly cramped workspace, but
> doable. One warning on my SViking; it will not take brass standoffs for
> ATX (board is raised 1/4" too high).

Thank you for the recommendation and advice. I might not go with the
SViking then. As for the A8V board, is it easy to setup?? and how
about any overclocking capabilities (If that is the way I want to go)??

Eric Bouchard wrote:

> It's the first time I will try to build a PC by myself and would like
> some advice. Here is what I plan to get so far:
>
> Socket 939 A64 3200+
> Kinsgton 2 x 512Mb PC3200 (KVR400X64C3AK21G)
> ASUS A8N-SLI
> eVGA GeForce 6600GT
> NEC ND-3520A DL DVD+-RW
>
> Already have a WD 160Gb 7200 rpm 8Mb buffer that I plan to reuse.

Very nice system. Do you plan to use the SLI feature sometime in the future?

> I'd like to know what would be the best PSU to use with this combo?
> and a good case to use to house all this stuff?? As far as cases goes,
> I was leaning toward the ThermalTake Soprano or SViking, but I am open
> to any suggestions.

First of all, I always buy Antec. I don't have to ever worry about how good
the power supply is, if it's an Antec. I know it's well built. Second, it
depends on if you plan to use the SLI feature. If so, you'll need extra
juice. Therefore, I'd recommend at least a TruePower 480. If not, then a
SmartPower 350 or better should do fine.

> Also, if you have better ideas for the parts, feel free to comment on
> it. I want to have a very good porformer at an affordable price.
> (Mostly to play games).

Yeah, if you don't plan to use SLI, consider getting an Antec case with a
good power supply. The Sonata is a nice case with a TruePower 380 power
supply that should provide plenty of juice for your needs. It's just
cheaper to get the case and power supply as a bundle, and Antec produces
great quality for both. Others here will also testify on their behalf. If
you do plan to use the SLI feature, Antec does offer the Performace One
P160 with a TruePower 550 power supply, but the only way I've found to get
one is directly through Antec. Otherwise, you need to purchase case and
power supply separately.

Also, for slighly more money, you can get an eVGA GeForce 6800 that's way
faster than a 6600GT. NewEgg has the 6600GT for $185 vs the 6800 for $244.
Roughly $50 more, for a lot more performance.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

KC Computers wrote:

> The Antec 380W PS in the Sonata case does not support
> the ATX12V 2.0 requirement of the ASUS A8N-SLI.
> Those motherboards use a 24-pin power connector
> rather than a 20-pin one standard for ATX PS's.
> We are a dealer and recommend something along the
> lines of an Antec 550W True Power EPS12V,
> Fortron 400W or 500W ATX 12V 2.0, etc.

Funny, I just built a system for a friend and used the Sonata case with the
TruePower 380 PSU on an MSI 925X Platinum board without a problem.

--

Eric Bouchard wrote:

>> Seconded. I have the SViking case; slightly cramped workspace, but
>> doable. One warning on my SViking; it will not take brass standoffs
>> for ATX (board is raised 1/4" too high).
>
> Thank you for the recommendation and advice. I might not go with the
> SViking then. As for the A8V board, is it easy to setup??

Yup. Installing the PSU before the board might get a bit tricky
though as the PSU should be supported from underneath when
screwing it into the case. I put my PSU in first; had to tilt
the board to get it in but it worked.

> and how about
> any overclocking capabilities (If that is the way I want to go)??

The A8V's a pretty solid overclocking board; check
http://www.ocforums.com under "AMD motherboards --> Asus AMD
boards" for info.

I'm guessing that the lack of actual standoffs won't be a
problem; the dimples that the board is screwed down to don't seem
to be any larger than the solder rings. I've gotten conflicting
advice as to whether to leave it as-is, add fiberboard washers, etc.

Dreamstalker wrote:
> Eric Bouchard wrote:
>
>>> Seconded. I have the SViking case; slightly cramped workspace, but
>>> doable. One warning on my SViking; it will not take brass standoffs
>>> for ATX (board is raised 1/4" too high).
>>

>> Thank you for the recommendation and advice. I might not go with the
>> SViking then. As for the A8V board, is it easy to setup??
>

> Yup. Installing the PSU before the board might get a bit tricky though
> as the PSU should be supported from underneath when screwing it into the
> case. I put my PSU in first; had to tilt the board to get it in but it
> worked.
>
>> and how about any overclocking capabilities (If that is the way I want
>> to go)??
>

> The A8V's a pretty solid overclocking board; check
> http://www.ocforums.com under "AMD motherboards --> Asus AMD boards" for
> info.
>
> I'm guessing that the lack of actual standoffs won't be a problem; the
> dimples that the board is screwed down to don't seem to be any larger
> than the solder rings. I've gotten conflicting advice as to whether to
> leave it as-is, add fiberboard washers, etc.

Regardless of what you might have heard, the washers do not go under the
motherboard.

David Maynard wrote:

> Dreamstalker wrote:

>>> Thank you for the recommendation and advice. I might not go with the
>>> SViking then. As for the A8V board, is it easy to setup??
>>
>> Yup. Installing the PSU before the board might get a bit tricky
>> though as the PSU should be supported from underneath when screwing it
>> into the case. I put my PSU in first; had to tilt the board to get it
>> in but it worked.
>>
>>> and how about any overclocking capabilities (If that is the way I
>>> want to go)??
>>
>> The A8V's a pretty solid overclocking board; check
>> http://www.ocforums.com under "AMD motherboards --> Asus AMD boards"
>> for info.
>>
>> I'm guessing that the lack of actual standoffs won't be a problem; the
>> dimples that the board is screwed down to don't seem to be any larger
>> than the solder rings. I've gotten conflicting advice as to whether
>> to leave it as-is, add fiberboard washers, etc.
>
> Regardless of what you might have heard, the washers do not go under the
> motherboard.

I thought so..*wonders how a denizen of a tech forum could have
gotten that wrong* Thanx for the clarification.

--

Dreamstalker wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> Dreamstalker wrote:

>>> Yup. Installing the PSU before the board might get a bit tricky
>>> though as the PSU should be supported from underneath when screwing
>>> it into the case. I put my PSU in first; had to tilt the board to
>>> get it in but it worked.

>>> The A8V's a pretty solid overclocking board; check
>>> http://www.ocforums.com under "AMD motherboards --> Asus AMD boards"
>>> for info.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing that the lack of actual standoffs won't be a problem;
>>> the dimples that the board is screwed down to don't seem to be any
>>> larger than the solder rings. I've gotten conflicting advice as to
>>> whether to leave it as-is, add fiberboard washers, etc.
>>

>> Regardless of what you might have heard, the washers do not go under
>> the motherboard.
>

> I thought so..*wonders how a denizen of a tech forum could have gotten
> that wrong* Thanx for the clarification.

I imagine people are trying to guess what they're for and, lacking a better
explanation, that seems "logical."

But placing a washer under the board and then topping it off with a metal
screw insulates nothing as the screw contacts the top and conducts into the
brass spacer. Unless one put a washer on top as well.

The most amusing one I saw was a web site instructing to 'insulate' the
standoff itself by putting the washer between the standoff and metal
mounting plate. Now, how in the world they expected that to insulate
anything with a solid brass thread going through the washer and screwed
into the metal plate is a mystery.

Of course, one might consider that if the motherboard designer didn't want
anything on the motherboard electrically contacting the screw they have a
fool proof method of accomplishing it: don't put any traces there.

Not to mention that any designer who expects little fiber washers to remain
in place, and centered, on top of 9, or so, blind side standoffs while a
motherboard is positioned over them runs the risk of being shot by the
production line assembly crew.

The multiple ground points are for ESD and EMI protection.

See, as an example,
http://www.intel.com/design/pentiumii/applnots/24333402.pdf

3.0 Board EMI Design Recommendations
3.1 Grounding Considerations

"Provide multiple direct metal-to-metal contacts for circuit board grounds
to the chassis connections, unless the circuit ground must float.
Unintended insulation formed by paint overspray, washers, or non-conductive
coatings degrade the ground connection and increase radiation levels."

>>Socket 939 A64 3200+
>>Kinsgton 2 x 512Mb PC3200 (KVR400X64C3AK21G)
>>ASUS A8N-SLI
>>eVGA GeForce 6600GT
>>NEC ND-3520A DL DVD+-RW
>>
>>Already have a WD 160Gb 7200 rpm 8Mb buffer that I plan to reuse.
>

> Very nice system. Do you plan to use the SLI feature sometime in the future?

Not in the near future. I plan to leave room for improvements mostly,
so that is why I considered a SLI board.

> First of all, I always buy Antec. I don't have to ever worry about how good
> the power supply is, if it's an Antec. I know it's well built. Second, it
> depends on if you plan to use the SLI feature. If so, you'll need extra
> juice. Therefore, I'd recommend at least a TruePower 480. If not, then a
> SmartPower 350 or better should do fine.

Got an Antec Trupower 330 powering my PC right now and I have no
complaints whatsoever. Antec are solid performers so I'd think it
would be a very good choice indeed.

> Yeah, if you don't plan to use SLI, consider getting an Antec case with a
> good power supply. The Sonata is a nice case with a TruePower 380 power
> supply that should provide plenty of juice for your needs. It's just
> cheaper to get the case and power supply as a bundle, and Antec produces
> great quality for both. Others here will also testify on their behalf. If
> you do plan to use the SLI feature, Antec does offer the Performace One
> P160 with a TruePower 550 power supply, but the only way I've found to get
> one is directly through Antec. Otherwise, you need to purchase case and
> power supply separately.

Took the time to check it out and the Sonata sounds like an awesome
case. I'd definitly go with that one. 2 x 120 mm fans should do a
great job. :)

> Also, for slighly more money, you can get an eVGA GeForce 6800 that's way
> faster than a 6600GT. NewEgg has the 6600GT for $185 vs the 6800 for $244.
> Roughly $50 more, for a lot more performance.

I didn't think about the 6800 for some strange reason... what is the
major difference between the 6800 and GT version? Just curious...

Eric Bouchard wrote:

>> Also, for slighly more money, you can get an eVGA GeForce 6800 that's way
>> faster than a 6600GT. NewEgg has the 6600GT for $185 vs the 6800 for
>> $244. Roughly $50 more, for a lot more performance.
>
> I didn't think about the 6800 for some strange reason... what is the
> major difference between the 6800 and GT version? Just curious...

You know, on further research, the 6800 is only available for AGP buses.
Anyway, it has 12 pixel pipelines instead of 8, and it gets a 256 bit
memory bus instead of 128 bit. I believe the GPU runs at a slower speed
than the 6600GT, but overall performance is better. All of the 6800 series
significantly outperform the 6600 series.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

>> I didn't think about the 6800 for some strange reason... what is the
>>major difference between the 6800 and GT version? Just curious...

> You know, on further research, the 6800 is only available for AGP buses.
> Anyway, it has 12 pixel pipelines instead of 8, and it gets a 256 bit
> memory bus instead of 128 bit. I believe the GPU runs at a slower speed
> than the 6600GT, but overall performance is better. All of the 6800 series
> significantly outperform the 6600 series.

Well, I might to have to go for an AGP board due to some financial
setbacks. What I meant was what is the performance difference between
the 6800 & 6800 GT?

Also, I have seen a card made by eVGA (the 6800LE). Any differences
between the standard 6800 and LE? Also, that card has 256Mb instead of
the 128Mb the majority of those cards...

Thanks

Eric Bouchard wrote:

>>> I didn't think about the 6800 for some strange reason... what is the
>>>major difference between the 6800 and GT version? Just curious...
>
>> You know, on further research, the 6800 is only available for AGP buses.
>> Anyway, it has 12 pixel pipelines instead of 8, and it gets a 256 bit
>> memory bus instead of 128 bit. I believe the GPU runs at a slower speed
>> than the 6600GT, but overall performance is better. All of the 6800
>> series significantly outperform the 6600 series.
>
> Well, I might to have to go for an AGP board due to some financial
> setbacks. What I meant was what is the performance difference between
> the 6800 & 6800 GT?
>
> Also, I have seen a card made by eVGA (the 6800LE). Any differences
> between the standard 6800 and LE? Also, that card has 256Mb instead of
> the 128Mb the majority of those cards...

That's the difference. The LE version has 256 MB of memory vs. 128. The 6800
is faster than the 6600GT. The 128 MB version of the 6800 was on average,
about 9% faster than the 6600GT in Tom's Hardware tests and one test, MS
Flight Simulator, was as much as 46% faster. For about $50 difference, IMO,
it's worth it.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

>>Well, I might to have to go for an AGP board due to some financial
>>setbacks. What I meant was what is the performance difference between
>>the 6800 & 6800 GT?
>>
>>Also, I have seen a card made by eVGA (the 6800LE). Any differences
>>between the standard 6800 and LE? Also, that card has 256Mb instead of
>>the 128Mb the majority of those cards...
>

> That's the difference. The LE version has 256 MB of memory vs. 128. The 6800
> is faster than the 6600GT. The 128 MB version of the 6800 was on average,
> about 9% faster than the 6600GT in Tom's Hardware tests and one test, MS
> Flight Simulator, was as much as 46% faster. For about $50 difference, IMO,
> it's worth it.

Ahhhh... well, sounds better to go with the LE then, if that's the
only difference. Thank you for your help. It is very appreciated. :)