Reformatting Windows ME

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 8, 2005 11:10:01 AM

I am attempting to re install Windows ME and re formatting the hard drive on
a Dell 8100 Pentium 4. When I tried to start the computer with my boot floppy
disk. The computer by passed the A: drive. I checked the boot sequence and it
showed that nit was correctly programed to look at the floppy drive first.
The computer does not check this drive at all on start up and goes right to
the CD drive then the hard drive. Can this be corrected and if not; is it
possible to make a start up disk on a CD.

More about : reformatting windows

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:42:13 PM

From: "Bob Y" <Bob Y@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I am attempting to re install Windows ME and re formatting the hard drive on
| a Dell 8100 Pentium 4. When I tried to start the computer with my boot floppy
| disk. The computer by passed the A: drive. I checked the boot sequence and it
| showed that nit was correctly programed to look at the floppy drive first.
| The computer does not check this drive at all on start up and goes right to
| the CD drive then the hard drive. Can this be corrected and if not; is it
| possible to make a start up disk on a CD.

Check to make sure the floppy cable and power cables are snug to both the drive and
motherboard.

There is also the possibility the drive died.

Consider WinXP instead on WinME.

A CDROM can be made bootable and WinME installed after booting the CDROM.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Hi, guys:

I hate to intrude like this, but for whatever reason (probably my own
stupidity), I can't seem to generate a new thread. Anyway, I am DESPARATE to
find out if there is some way I can download CAB 9 and CAB 18 for Windows ME.
My cd is quite old and has gotten so scratched, the cd-rom can't even read
it any more. I am stuck with no o/s at this point because of these missing
CABs. PLEASE HELP!!

> From: "Bob Y" <Bob Y@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | I am attempting to re install Windows ME and re formatting the hard drive on
> | a Dell 8100 Pentium 4. When I tried to start the computer with my boot floppy
> | disk. The computer by passed the A: drive. I checked the boot sequence and it
> | showed that nit was correctly programed to look at the floppy drive first.
> | The computer does not check this drive at all on start up and goes right to
> | the CD drive then the hard drive. Can this be corrected and if not; is it
> | possible to make a start up disk on a CD.
>
> Check to make sure the floppy cable and power cables are snug to both the drive and
> motherboard.
>
> There is also the possibility the drive died.
>
> Consider WinXP instead on WinME.
>
> A CDROM can be made bootable and WinME installed after booting the CDROM.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

July 8, 2005 7:15:57 PM

From: "lashlcrwjz" <christmastime@netzero.net>

| Hi, guys:
|
| I hate to intrude like this, but for whatever reason (probably my own
| stupidity), I can't seem to generate a new thread. Anyway, I am DESPARATE to
| find out if there is some way I can download CAB 9 and CAB 18 for Windows ME.
| My cd is quite old and has gotten so scratched, the cd-rom can't even read
| it any more. I am stuck with no o/s at this point because of these missing
| CABs. PLEASE HELP!!

The "intrusion" is called News Post Hijacking. ;-)

If the OS was installed properly, there should be a folder such as...

%windir%\OPTIONS\CABS

See if that folder exists and the CAB files are present.

The two files are ~7.8MB each, therefore are too big to email or be posted here.
{ They can be posted to an; alt.binaries.* News Group if needed }

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:09:45 AM

All the CAB files from the CD are available on your HD - do a Search for
them!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"lashlcrwjz" <christmastime@netzero.net> wrote in message
> Hi, guys:
>
> I hate to intrude like this, but for whatever reason (probably my own
> stupidity), I can't seem to generate a new thread. Anyway, I am DESPARATE
> find out if there is some way I can download CAB 9 and CAB 18 for Windows
> ME.
> My cd is quite old and has gotten so scratched, the cd-rom can't even read
> it any more. I am stuck with no o/s at this point because of these
> missing
> CABs. PLEASE HELP!!
>
>> From: "Bob Y" <Bob Y@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>
>> | I am attempting to re install Windows ME and re formatting the hard
>> drive on
>> | a Dell 8100 Pentium 4. When I tried to start the computer with my boot
>> floppy
>> | disk. The computer by passed the A: drive. I checked the boot sequence
>> and it
>> | showed that nit was correctly programed to look at the floppy drive
>> first.
>> | The computer does not check this drive at all on start up and goes
>> right to
>> | the CD drive then the hard drive. Can this be corrected and if not; is
>> it
>> | possible to make a start up disk on a CD.
>>
>> Check to make sure the floppy cable and power cables are snug to both the
>> drive and
>> motherboard.
>>
>> There is also the possibility the drive died.
>>
>> Consider WinXP instead on WinME.
>>
>> A CDROM can be made bootable and WinME installed after booting the CDROM.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:12:43 AM

None of the Win Me cab files are legally available for download. Check
that you don't have a copy on your hard disk, be default in either the
windows\options\cabs or windows\options\install folder but some OEMs place
them in other locations, sometimes on a second possibly hidden partition.

If yours was a Microsoft rather than an OEM CD and you registered with
Microsoft when you first installed Win Me the following may be of help. KB
326246 - "How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or
hardware" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=326246).

Alternatively try eBay.
--
Mike Maltby