DVD/CDRW combo can't read files

My DVD/CDRW combo drive will not recognize CDs. I place CDRs and
manufacturer CDs in the drive, but when I click on the drive to view
the files...nothing. Autoplay also does not work. I can view the same
CDs on a different computer.

It is a Dell Precision M50 Mobile Workstation.

Any suggestions?

jad

May 2002 original combo or a newer replacement?

"ddorrer" <wv_mba@earthlink-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> My DVD/CDRW combo drive will not recognize CDs. I place CDRs and
> manufacturer CDs in the drive, but when I click on the drive to view
> the files...nothing. Autoplay also does not work. I can view the same
> CDs on a different computer.
>
> It is a Dell Precision M50 Mobile Workstation.
>
> Any suggestions?

Xman

maybe http://www.plsgoogleit.com

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> May 2002 original combo or a newer replacement?
>
> "ddorrer" <wv_mba@earthlink-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> My DVD/CDRW combo drive will not recognize CDs. I place CDRs and
>> manufacturer CDs in the drive, but when I click on the drive to view
>> the files...nothing. Autoplay also does not work. I can view the same
>> CDs on a different computer.
>>
>> It is a Dell Precision M50 Mobile Workstation.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

It's the original HDLC-4240 drive by Hitachi. I already swapped it out
with another and the same problem occurs. I tried to flash the driver,
but no difference.

jad

see the Adaptec site for a new ASPI layer version

> It's the original HDLC-4240 drive by Hitachi. I already swapped it out
> with another and the same problem occurs. I tried to flash the driver,
> but no difference.

Having the same problem with a drive from a compaq nx9005

problem happened overnight.