Not Booting

My buddy gave me his computer to look at, cause it's not booting...Plus, it
beeps like an English cop car, even after it gets turned off...I took out
the CPU to see if it was fried, but it looks fine...

My guess would be a mobo problem, but I was wondering if anyone knew what
else I could check...

Thanks,
Tom

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.

"The Baba" <hoofaaa@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
> My buddy gave me his computer to look at, cause it's not booting...Plus,
it
> beeps like an English cop car, even after it gets turned off...I took out
> the CPU to see if it was fried, but it looks fine...
>
> My guess would be a mobo problem, but I was wondering if anyone knew what
> else I could check...
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

let me guess . . . asus mainboard with AMD CPU, right? Well known problem,
mainboard fried. -Dave

You looked at the CPU to see if it was bad? Do you have some sort of x-ray vision?

--

________________________________
"The Baba" <hoofaaa@nospamcox.net> wrote in message news:399054F5qamr0U1@individual.net...
> My buddy gave me his computer to look at, cause it's not booting...Plus, it
> beeps like an English cop car, even after it gets turned off...I took out
> the CPU to see if it was fried, but it looks fine...
>
> My guess would be a mobo problem, but I was wondering if anyone knew what
> else I could check...
>
> Thanks,
> Tom
>

> --
> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
> A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.

DB says:
>>You looked at the CPU to see if it was bad? Do you have some sort of x-ray
vision?>>

I take it you've never seen a fried CPU, Mr. Smartass...Well, ask around,
you'll find plenty of people who have...

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.

DC says:
>>asus mainboard with AMD CPU, right?>>

Nope, it was a Biostar with an Athlon XP 2000...I picked up a MSI KM3M with
AMD Sempron 2200 for $99...It's the 2nd one I've bought, and the other one
is running great so far...

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!!

What do you see when you see a fried CPU? Bubbled plastic? I'm curious.

Ed Cregger

> DB says:
>>>You looked at the CPU to see if it was bad? Do you have some sort of
>>>x-ray
> vision?>>
>
> I take it you've never seen a fried CPU, Mr. Smartass...Well, ask around,
> you'll find plenty of people who have...
>
> --
> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
> Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.

Ed wonders:
>>What do you see when you see a fried CPU?>>

Not all look the same, buy mine had some melting on the top, and
discoloration on the little chips on the underside...

Here's some pictures I took of it:
http://members.cox.net/thebaba/Fried.html

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

papa

I've seen a lot of operational CPUs that look worse than that.

The Baba wrote:
> My buddy gave me his computer to look at, cause it's not booting...Plus, it
> beeps like an English cop car, even after it gets turned off...I took out
> the CPU to see if it was fried, but it looks fine...
>
> My guess would be a mobo problem, but I was wondering if anyone knew what
> else I could check...
>
> Thanks,
> Tom
>

> --
> A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.

did you check power supply.....

Actually I'm certain I've seen many more than you "smartass", looking at a CPU is not a reliable way of telling whether it's good or
bad.

--