computer keeps on crashing in a reasonably warm room

My comp is 4 yrs old and constantly crashes as in the monitor just flashes
until the temperature of the room goes down then the comp comes back on
again, could this have been caused by a cable jmodem I had the webstar dpx
100 for a while and had constant crashes on windows xp pro, could this have
in some way messed up with the internal circuits of the fan that keeps the
comp cool? cause right now the comp is practically useless
3 answers Last reply
More about computer crashing warm room

    Nospam wrote:

    > My comp is 4 yrs old and constantly crashes as in the monitor just flashes
    > until the temperature of the room goes down then the comp comes back on
    > again, could this have been caused by a cable jmodem I had the webstar dpx
    > 100 for a while and had constant crashes on windows xp pro, could this have
    > in some way messed up with the internal circuits of the fan that keeps the
    > comp cool? cause right now the comp is practically useless

    I can't tell from your description. When you say the computer "comes back
    on" do you mean it boots all by itself or simply that you can finally see
    again what's on the screen when the monitor screen quits 'flashing'? Or by
    the monitor 'flashing' do you mean the green/amber power/video_signal
    indicator light is flashing? And what kind of crashes were those with
    Windows XP Pro? Same 'flashing'?

    If it's an external modem then it wouldn't have changed anything inside. If
    it's an internal modem then whoever installed it could have knocked
    something loose. But, then, you say you had crashes with the previous modem.

    It could also be your monitor is going out, if the screen is flashing on
    and off.

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:51:06 GMT, "Nospam" <nospam@home.com> wrote:

    >My comp is 4 yrs old and constantly crashes as in the monitor just flashes
    >until the temperature of the room goes down then the comp comes back on
    >again, could this have been caused by a cable jmodem I had the webstar dpx
    >100 for a while and had constant crashes on windows xp pro, could this have
    >in some way messed up with the internal circuits of the fan that keeps the
    >comp cool? cause right now the comp is practically useless

    Unlikely....

    Take the side off the case and run it for a while. See if it still
    crashes. If it does and you are sure its the heat then you need to
    look at the heatsink attached to the CPU.

    If the crahes stop with the side of the case removed then you need a
    better flow of air (suggest looking at the case fan at the rear of the
    case to make sure its working ok)

    HTH

    Harry

    "Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:51:06 GMT, "Nospam" <nospam@home.com> wrote:
    >
    > >My comp is 4 yrs old and constantly crashes as in the monitor just
    flashes
    > >until the temperature of the room goes down then the comp comes back on
    > >again, could this have been caused by a cable jmodem I had the webstar
    dpx
    > >100 for a while and had constant crashes on windows xp pro, could this
    have
    > >in some way messed up with the internal circuits of the fan that keeps
    the
    > >comp cool? cause right now the comp is practically useless
    > >
    > Unlikely....
    >
    > Take the side off the case and run it for a while. See if it still
    > crashes. If it does and you are sure its the heat then you need to
    > look at the heatsink attached to the CPU.
    >
    > If the crahes stop with the side of the case removed then you need a
    > better flow of air (suggest looking at the case fan at the rear of the
    > case to make sure its working ok)
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Harry

    And check for dust clogging the heatsink fan and any other fans including
    the power supply

    AMD'r

Homebuilt Computer Systems