Suggestions Please......

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 9, 2005 7:48:17 PM

Well, I guess that got your attention, grin.

Talked to Willy yesterday about building a new computer and he gave me a
list of a few hardware things that he particularly wanted me to put out on
the news group for your opinions.

He suggested..........

1. Asus Motherboard

2. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card (not a gamer, grin)

3. Audigy Sound Card

4. 512 RAM (Kingston or similar)

5. At least 120 gig hard drive....will probably get 160 gig.

6. DVD/CD RW (?) drive....not sure if I have that straight. Plays and
writes to DVD and CD...dual channel. Assume that is two drives.

7. I asked that a floppy drive be put in.....Dell has stopped installing
them, for instance.

The rest is the usual Pentium things and I guess I will use the monitor and
speakers from this computer. An LCD flat panel monitor is about $270.

I plan on using a router and networking the two of them for a while at
least.

Oops....forgot to ask him about front USB ports. Will add that to the List.

He seems to be very impressed with the collective knowledge on this group
and said he would like to hear any suggestions or improvements from you
folks, which I will pass on to him.

He is also going to fix the CD burner drive on here....in fact, he is going
to walk me thru doing it if it has to be replaced, ack!! I had a ball there
yesterday (3 hours). He had a WinME computer with a mess of trojans, BHO's
and spyware on it. Couldn't use the mouse even. So he finally had to
reformat it and he explained it all to me. He doesn't like having to resort
to that either. But I was amazed at how many people brought in virus-laden
computers for him to fix. Are they all nuts??? No AV, no ZA.....nada.

Anyway.....comments are most appreciated. Want to make sure I get all the
right components and not forget anything. He will also add some updated
programs for me. OEM ones I assume, but that's OK.

Cheers.....Heather

More about : suggestions

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:13:15 PM

Heather wrote:
> Well, I guess that got your attention, grin.
>
> Talked to Willy yesterday about building a new computer and he gave me a
> list of a few hardware things that he particularly wanted me to put out on
> the news group for your opinions.

First opinion is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

<shrug> your money.

> He suggested..........
>
> 1. Asus Motherboard

good reputation; would suggest an Intel chipset if you can afford it.
If you're planning AMD, look into their 64-bit stuff; wave of the future
and all that.

Another thing to ponder is whether to get one with PCI-X instead of AGP.

> 2. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card (not a gamer, grin)

That's a high-end gaming/multimedia card, ATI's budget and
middle-of-the-road cards are quite good, too. If you actually aren't
gaming at all and use your computer alot, I might suggest a Matrox (P650
or 750); even though I'd like to smack one of their customer support
people upside the head over something, they're still the best for 2D
stuff this side of a professional card (which they make, also); on the
other hand we both know where ATI is; the comment "would you like me to
come over in person and show you exactly what's wrong with this card"
can produce results. <grin>

> 3. Audigy Sound Card

OEM Soundblaster (older Creative chipset, same thing but cheaper, though
these days maybe not enough to justify it).

> 4. 512 RAM (Kingston or similar)

At least. Can never have too much memory

> 5. At least 120 gig hard drive....will probably get 160 gig.

Heather, get two... then ask, and Chris and I will compete for best
partitioning scheme. <grin> Be prepared to say exactly how you use your
computer.

SATA specs are better but I'm not sure mfr's have implemented the stuff
that actually makes it better into the controllers yet (like command
queuing); meanwhile, plain old IDE is cheaper and gives the same
performance.

> 6. DVD/CD RW (?) drive....not sure if I have that straight. Plays and
> writes to DVD and CD...dual channel. Assume that is two drives.

Sounds like a "combo" drive; reads DVD's(etc.) and can write CDR and
CDRW. (Plextor comes to mind if you can find one, though I'm quite
happy with my LG.) DVD writing is important if you plan on writing
DVD's (duh).

> 7. I asked that a floppy drive be put in.....Dell has stopped installing
> them, for instance.

As earlier suggested by Mart or Shane, if your motherboard supports USB
booting then you can buy a USB floppy drive and put it in a desk drawer
until needed. (Haven't tried it myself yet, though; will still be a few
years before I do a hardware upgrade). If Willy can figure it out,
using one of those USB chip-drives'd be pretty neat.

I'd also be tempted to do that (USB) with the optical drive, though,
again I can't speak from experience on that one and in order to meet my
lazy-ass standards it'd have to be powered from the USB port instead of
a wall-wart. Not optimum if you're a "burner" of course, the built-in
drives are much faster I think.

A bit retro, but I'd stick with PS2 plug keyboard and mouse, just to
ensure their lines are clear of anything else. Wireless'd be neat if
you can get a good one, I think.

Bizarre question for everybody... can you share a USB line between two
computers ?

> The rest is the usual Pentium things and I guess I will use the monitor and
> speakers from this computer. An LCD flat panel monitor is about $270.

> I plan on using a router and networking the two of them for a while at
> least.

Huh? set up the new thing make sure it works transfer old files over and
give the old one to a charity/relative.

> Oops....forgot to ask him about front USB ports. Will add that to the List.

pretty well standard, I imagine. While you're there may as well specify
front-mounted mic and headphone jacks.

> He seems to be very impressed with the collective knowledge on this group
> and said he would like to hear any suggestions or improvements from you
> folks, which I will pass on to him.

Be neat to hear from him too; he's frontline trying to put the most
recent stuff together; can give quite the depth into current computing
trends. Invite(/drag) him in.

> He is also going to fix the CD burner drive on here....in fact, he is going
> to walk me thru doing it if it has to be replaced, ack!! I had a ball there
> yesterday (3 hours). He had a WinME computer with a mess of trojans, BHO's
> and spyware on it.

Did he give it back to you? <grin>

> Couldn't use the mouse even. So he finally had to
> reformat it and he explained it all to me. He doesn't like having to resort
> to that either. But I was amazed at how many people brought in virus-laden
> computers for him to fix. Are they all nuts??? No AV, no ZA.....nada.

:(

It *should* be possible to run without all that stuff on a competent OS,
but it isn't.

Rick

> Anyway.....comments are most appreciated. Want to make sure I get all the
> right components and not forget anything.

One thing you might try (then come here and tell me about it) is a
proggie that pretends that a directory is a CD... oddly enough I think
it's a Norton product.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:48:04 PM

1. Asus Motherboard
Which model?? Asus is good and has good support, as does Abit. My new box
has the Abit IS7. Just make sure you have SATA plugs on board. I have
two, 7.2Krpm, 80G SATA 150's in a Raid0 config.......random read/write
speeds are wonderful. The Abit also has 4 USB 2.0 jacks and two double on
board pin plugs.....may be more, but, I am not using them.

2. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card (not a gamer, grin)
Isn't this a 256M card?? Not a gamer, overkill. I have the 64M ATI and it
is more than sufficient for my needs.

3. Audigy Sound Card
Unless your hearing and speakers are of superb quality, the onboard sound
would suffice quite well.

4. 512 RAM (Kingston or similar)
Look around before you buy.........you can get a G of good, speedy RAM
pretty cheap now. www.chiefvalue.com

5. At least 120 gig hard drive....will probably get 160 gig.
Unless you are in to partitioning, why not more of smaller drives?? I have
the two 80G SATA's in Raid 0 for boot, an 80G IDE for data (or whatever) and
a 300G IDE partitioned into a 200 and 100 for backing up the Raid and single
80G using Acronis True Image.

6. DVD/CD RW (?) drive....not sure if I have that straight. Plays and
writes to DVD and CD...dual channel. Assume that is two drives.
Go with two optical drives..........I have a Sony CD/DVD RW+-R high speed
and an HP Lightscribe dual layer. Drive to drive, I can copy a full music
CD in less than 4 minutes.

7. I asked that a floppy drive be put in.....Dell has stopped installing
them, for instance.
Get the floppy, it's cheap and it will come in handy.

Other stuff:
Get a card reader, they are super cheap for the internal readers. I have
seen some that will read 11 different formats for less than $10. The
Compact Flash cards come in a nifty little plastic box for carrying and they
are great for moving programs and data.

The all important case!!!! I like the Antec Lanboy.....it is inexpensive,
has a huge 120mm fan in front with pretty blue LED's (intake) and another in
back (exhaust). Make sure you get a QUALITY power supply........at least,
380W TRUE power out, especially if you get that hot video card.

Oh yeah, and get XP. <g>.
Heirloom, old and lovin' mine

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Well, I guess that got your attention, grin.
>
> Talked to Willy yesterday about building a new computer and he gave me a
> list of a few hardware things that he particularly wanted me to put out on
> the news group for your opinions.
>
> He suggested..........
>
> 1. Asus Motherboard
>
> 2. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card (not a gamer, grin)
>
> 3. Audigy Sound Card
>
> 4. 512 RAM (Kingston or similar)
>
> 5. At least 120 gig hard drive....will probably get 160 gig.
>
> 6. DVD/CD RW (?) drive....not sure if I have that straight. Plays and
> writes to DVD and CD...dual channel. Assume that is two drives.
>
> 7. I asked that a floppy drive be put in.....Dell has stopped installing
> them, for instance.
>
> The rest is the usual Pentium things and I guess I will use the monitor
> and
> speakers from this computer. An LCD flat panel monitor is about $270.
>
> I plan on using a router and networking the two of them for a while at
> least.
>
> Oops....forgot to ask him about front USB ports. Will add that to the
> List.
>
> He seems to be very impressed with the collective knowledge on this group
> and said he would like to hear any suggestions or improvements from you
> folks, which I will pass on to him.
>
> He is also going to fix the CD burner drive on here....in fact, he is
> going
> to walk me thru doing it if it has to be replaced, ack!! I had a ball
> there
> yesterday (3 hours). He had a WinME computer with a mess of trojans,
> BHO's
> and spyware on it. Couldn't use the mouse even. So he finally had to
> reformat it and he explained it all to me. He doesn't like having to
> resort
> to that either. But I was amazed at how many people brought in
> virus-laden
> computers for him to fix. Are they all nuts??? No AV, no ZA.....nada.
>
> Anyway.....comments are most appreciated. Want to make sure I get all the
> right components and not forget anything. He will also add some updated
> programs for me. OEM ones I assume, but that's OK.
>
> Cheers.....Heather

July 10, 2005 1:36:06 AM

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Well, I guess that got your attention, grin.
>
>Talked to Willy yesterday about building a new computer and he gave me a
>list of a few hardware things that he particularly wanted me to put out on
>the news group for your opinions.
>
>He suggested..........
>
>1. Asus Motherboard

Asus motherboards have a good reputation. Any specific model in mind?

>2. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card (not a gamer, grin)
>
>3. Audigy Sound Card

Are you an audiophile? Most new motherboards come with integrated
sound that is fully adequate for most games, casual music listening,
and watching the occasional movie.

>4. 512 RAM (Kingston or similar)

Kingston or Crucial are very good sources of RAM. If your specific
motherboard model supports dual channel RAM then get 2 pieces of 256
mb. Or better yet get 2 pieces of 512 mb and be ready for Windows XP
and maybe even Longhorn.

>5. At least 120 gig hard drive....will probably get 160 gig.

Remember the 128 gb (137 billion byte) partition limit on FAT32 drives
and be prepared to partition the 160 gb drive into 2 partitions.

>6. DVD/CD RW (?) drive....not sure if I have that straight. Plays and
>writes to DVD and CD...dual channel. Assume that is two drives.

That sound more like just a DVD burner drive (one unit). Two drives
are handier (one DVD burner and one CD burner or two DVD burners) if
you are planning on doing much copying (for backup purposes of course)
of DVDs and/or CDs.

>7. I asked that a floppy drive be put in.....Dell has stopped installing
>them, for instance.

Yup and they can be problematic on high speed systems running Windows
XP. Appears to be a timing issue of some kind but no firm diagnosis
that I can find. I have started carrying a USB 3.5 diskette drive so
I can access diskettes from newer systems.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 1:47:53 AM

<lol> You got mine <g> I don't know all the technical specs you mention
I'll leave that to the experts in here, I know one thing I miss from my
old WinME box and that's having two CD drives one for reading and one for
writing. On this box I have a drive that reads and writes CD's and DVD's
but it's a compo drive so to copy a CD it would have to be put on the HD
then copied to CD/DVD.
At the time I had this drive fitted he did say I could have another drive
put in but at the time couldn't afford it so just have the one.
Let us know what the final specs are <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> Well, I guess that got your attention, grin.
>
> Talked to Willy yesterday about building a new computer and he gave
> me a list of a few hardware things that he particularly wanted me to
> put out on the news group for your opinions.
>
> He suggested..........
>
> 1. Asus Motherboard
>
> 2. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card (not a gamer, grin)
>
> 3. Audigy Sound Card
>
> 4. 512 RAM (Kingston or similar)
>
> 5. At least 120 gig hard drive....will probably get 160 gig.
>
> 6. DVD/CD RW (?) drive....not sure if I have that straight. Plays
> and writes to DVD and CD...dual channel. Assume that is two drives.
>
> 7. I asked that a floppy drive be put in.....Dell has stopped
> installing them, for instance.
>
> The rest is the usual Pentium things and I guess I will use the
> monitor and speakers from this computer. An LCD flat panel monitor
> is about $270.
>
> I plan on using a router and networking the two of them for a while at
> least.
>
> Oops....forgot to ask him about front USB ports. Will add that to
> the List.
>
> He seems to be very impressed with the collective knowledge on this
> group and said he would like to hear any suggestions or improvements
> from you folks, which I will pass on to him.
>
> He is also going to fix the CD burner drive on here....in fact, he is
> going to walk me thru doing it if it has to be replaced, ack!! I had
> a ball there yesterday (3 hours). He had a WinME computer with a
> mess of trojans, BHO's and spyware on it. Couldn't use the mouse
> even. So he finally had to reformat it and he explained it all to
> me. He doesn't like having to resort to that either. But I was
> amazed at how many people brought in virus-laden computers for him to
> fix. Are they all nuts??? No AV, no ZA.....nada.
>
> Anyway.....comments are most appreciated. Want to make sure I get
> all the right components and not forget anything. He will also add
> some updated programs for me. OEM ones I assume, but that's OK.
>
> Cheers.....Heather
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:07:08 AM

I agree Joan, Heather should definitely go for two optical drives, ideally
a DVD-ROM and a DVD-R/W that can write both CDs and DVDs. The cost of DVD
writers has plummeted so a 8x or 16x writer both - and + formats and
double layer would be the way to go. That is until the next models come
out which is highly likely before Heathers gets her new PC. :-)

Joan - if you decide to add a DVD reader these can be picked up new from
around £15 plus p & p.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> <lol> You got mine <g> I don't know all the technical specs you
> mention I'll leave that to the experts in here, I know one thing I
> miss from my old WinME box and that's having two CD drives one for
> reading and one for writing. On this box I have a drive that reads
> and writes CD's and DVD's but it's a compo drive so to copy a CD it
> would have to be put on the HD then copied to CD/DVD.
> At the time I had this drive fitted he did say I could have another
> drive put in but at the time couldn't afford it so just have the one.
> Let us know what the final specs are <g>
July 10, 2005 2:17:59 AM

>I agree Joan, Heather should definitely go for two optical drives, ideally
>a DVD-ROM and a DVD-R/W that can write both CDs and DVDs. The cost of DVD
>writers has plummeted so a 8x or 16x writer both - and + formats and double
>layer would be the way to go. That is until the next models come out which
>is highly likely before Heathers gets her new PC. :-)
>
> Joan - if you decide to add a DVD reader these can be picked up new from
> around £15 plus p & p.

I just replaced mine. Got a 16x/48x Sony DVD drive from the PCWorld
Component shop, reserved online for £16. They've also got dual-layer DVD-RWs
from £32 - inc. the Phillips that was the first dual-layer DVD-RW. The Sony
dual-layer DVD-RW is £50 - I'd have got it except first I need a new
computer (and about £500's worth of parts and work for the bike).

Shane
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:20:58 AM

Hi Mike, I know the price has come down a lot but at the moment I'm not
unduly worried about it, probably one day. Still haven't got round to
writing any DVD's <g> need to order another batch of CD's soon starting to
get a bit low.
How are the girls after Thursdays shock, managing to get about OK ?
Joan

Mike M wrote:
>snip>
> Joan - if you decide to add a DVD reader these can be picked up new
> from around £15 plus p & p.

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:36:32 AM

Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike, I know the price has come down a lot but at the moment I'm
> not unduly worried about it, probably one day. Still haven't got
> round to writing any DVD's <g> need to order another batch of CD's
> soon starting to get a bit low.
> How are the girls after Thursdays shock, managing to get about OK ?

Joan,

Both the girls seem fine and I don't think either are going to be affected
much with both continuing to use the bus and tube as normal. Sadly the
same can't be said for many others.
--
Mike
Anonymous

The one thing no-one seems to have mentioned as yet is AMD v Intel, or
even 32 v 64 bit although perhaps its a bit early to be thinking of 64
bit.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Well, I guess that got your attention, grin.
>>
>> Talked to Willy yesterday about building a new computer and he gave
>> me a list of a few hardware things that he particularly wanted me to
>> put out on the news group for your opinions.
>>
>> He suggested..........
>>
>> 1. Asus Motherboard
>
> Asus motherboards have a good reputation. Any specific model in mind?
>

>> 2. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card (not a gamer, grin)
>>
>> 3. Audigy Sound Card
>
> Are you an audiophile? Most new motherboards come with integrated
> sound that is fully adequate for most games, casual music listening,
> and watching the occasional movie.
>

>> 4. 512 RAM (Kingston or similar)
>
> Kingston or Crucial are very good sources of RAM. If your specific
> motherboard model supports dual channel RAM then get 2 pieces of 256
> mb. Or better yet get 2 pieces of 512 mb and be ready for Windows XP
> and maybe even Longhorn.
>

>> 5. At least 120 gig hard drive....will probably get 160 gig.
>
> Remember the 128 gb (137 billion byte) partition limit on FAT32 drives
> and be prepared to partition the 160 gb drive into 2 partitions.
>

>> 6. DVD/CD RW (?) drive....not sure if I have that straight. Plays
>> and writes to DVD and CD...dual channel. Assume that is two drives.
>
> That sound more like just a DVD burner drive (one unit). Two drives
> are handier (one DVD burner and one CD burner or two DVD burners) if
> you are planning on doing much copying (for backup purposes of course)
> of DVDs and/or CDs.
>

>> 7. I asked that a floppy drive be put in.....Dell has stopped
>> installing them, for instance.
>
> Yup and they can be problematic on high speed systems running Windows
> XP. Appears to be a timing issue of some kind but no firm diagnosis
> that I can find. I have started carrying a USB 3.5 diskette drive so
> I can access diskettes from newer systems.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:07:13 AM

Mike M wrote:
> The one thing no-one seems to have mentioned as yet is AMD v Intel, or
> even 32 v 64 bit although perhaps its a bit early to be thinking of 64 bit.

I didn't want to mention it because my choices in that vein would've
been for either the Intel 'M' which is very expensive or the model
(can't remember which) from AMD that is also very power (and heat) frugal.

Neither of them are related to their companies' flagship products.

Rick
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:44:08 AM

Rick,

The Pentium M is primarily for laptops. I've an M753 in my new Toshiba
Portégé M300 and it's really frugal on power consumption meaning I get
pretty good battery life. Not sure which AMD chip you're thinking of,
this box has an older AMD 64 3200 (754 rather than 939 pin) and my other
main PC an even older AMD XP 2500+ (Barton).

Personally I feel Heather should seriously consider AMD as IMO they give
much more bang for your bucks.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> I didn't want to mention it because my choices in that vein would've
> been for either the Intel 'M' which is very expensive or the model
> (can't remember which) from AMD that is also very power (and heat)
> frugal.
> Neither of them are related to their companies' flagship products.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:44:09 AM

Mike M wrote:
> Rick,
>
> The Pentium M is primarily for laptops. I've an M753 in my new Toshiba
> Portégé M300 and it's really frugal on power consumption meaning I get
> pretty good battery life. Not sure which AMD chip you're thinking of,
> this box has an older AMD 64 3200 (754 rather than 939 pin) and my other
> main PC an even older AMD XP 2500+ (Barton).
>
> Personally I feel Heather should seriously consider AMD as IMO they give
> much more bang for your bucks.

haven't kept up in any detail, but M's are already in some desktop MB's;
I think the AMD proc I'm thinking of is Athlon-64 (?) their equivalent
of Celeron.

Rick
July 10, 2005 3:44:09 AM

WOW!! Thank you so much for all of your information, folks. I have a lot
to learn before I make any decisions on this. Hardware components are not
something I really know all that much about.

I will sift thru all the points, hit some explanatory websites and forward
your comments on to Willy. I am sorry I didn't ask more definitive
questions.......as in Model numbers, etc.

A couple of points were loud and clear.

1. I don't need a separate sound card. I play music for my own enjoyment
so that should be enough.

2. I do have a card reader for my camera card which is a USB one. And you
all think that a floppy reader of that ilk would be better.....so will look
into that.

I think Willy was referring to just one drive with the DVD/CD things......I
will discuss having two separate ones. I have that now with the CD/RW and
the DVD/CD player......once I get the former one fixed. Willy thinks it is
just a minor thing and won't need to be replaced. I did see some LG CD
drives laying about the shop. I have had some interesting "lessons" coz we
sit and chat as he is repairing things, and he loves to explain what he is
doing.

Hope I covered all the points. But I can't thank you guys enough!! This
will give me a lot more things to read up on.

I did ask him about contributing to the ng's, but he is so busy that he
doesn't have the time. I don't think that he knew much about these ng's and
he is quite intrigued and amazed by the knowledge on here. He would be a
definite asset, particularly as he is Swiss and speaks several languages.

Cheers....Heather

> Rick,
>
> The Pentium M is primarily for laptops. I've an M753 in my new Toshiba
> Portégé M300 and it's really frugal on power consumption meaning I get
> pretty good battery life. Not sure which AMD chip you're thinking of,
> this box has an older AMD 64 3200 (754 rather than 939 pin) and my other
> main PC an even older AMD XP 2500+ (Barton).
>
> Personally I feel Heather should seriously consider AMD as IMO they give
> much more bang for your bucks.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I didn't want to mention it because my choices in that vein would've
> > been for either the Intel 'M' which is very expensive or the model
> > (can't remember which) from AMD that is also very power (and heat)
> > frugal.
> > Neither of them are related to their companies' flagship products.

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:05:53 AM

Heather & Rick,

Most points have already been (excellently) covered elsewhere in this
thread, however just two further ones, if I may.

Heather - as I already suggested in the previous thread. If you choose a
'standard' floppy drive (i.e. not USB) then consider one with an integral
(USB) card reader. The following gives you a description - I'm sure Willy
could source it for you on your side of the pond
Combined FDD & 7 in 1 Card Reader :-
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...
Which takes care of another external USB cable <g>

Rick - you asked "... can you share a USB line between two computers ?"

Yes! - PCLinQ or PC link Adapter see :-
http://www.nti1.com/usb-link.html

Mart

> [...]
>> and spyware on it.
>
> Did he give it back to you? <grin>
>
>> Couldn't use the mouse even. So he finally had to
>> reformat it and he explained it all to me. He doesn't like having to
>> resort
>> to that either. But I was amazed at how many people brought in
>> virus-laden
>> computers for him to fix. Are they all nuts??? No AV, no ZA.....nada.
>
> :(
>
> It *should* be possible to run without all that stuff on a competent OS,
> but it isn't.
>

> Rick
>

>> Anyway.....comments are most appreciated. Want to make sure I get all
>> the
>> right components and not forget anything.
>
> One thing you might try (then come here and tell me about it) is a proggie
> that pretends that a directory is a CD... oddly enough I think it's a
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:05:54 AM

Just a little more FYI, I got a floppy (USB 2.0 for the card readers, that
plugs into the motherboard on the Abit IS7, at least 4 on board, may be
more) and it has the multiple format card readers built in. I think it
reads 7 different formats....ATA Flash, Smart Cards, etc. It is a Mitsumi
FA404A/404M.........it was less than $30 from Chief Value. Got a 256M
Compact Flash (high speed) for less than $20 from the same place. I paid
$56 for a 32M about 5 years ago.
Heirloom, old and getting
cheaper

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:o MY2jMOhFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> and spyware on it.
>>
>> Did he give it back to you? <grin>
>>
>>> Couldn't use the mouse even. So he finally had to
>>> reformat it and he explained it all to me. He doesn't like having to
>>> resort
>>> to that either. But I was amazed at how many people brought in
>>> virus-laden
>>> computers for him to fix. Are they all nuts??? No AV, no ZA.....nada.
>>
>> :(
>>
>> It *should* be possible to run without all that stuff on a competent OS,
>> but it isn't.
>>

>> Rick
>>

>>> Anyway.....comments are most appreciated. Want to make sure I get all
>>> the
>>> right components and not forget anything.
>>
>> One thing you might try (then come here and tell me about it) is a
>> proggie that pretends that a directory is a CD... oddly enough I think

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:05:54 AM

Mart wrote:
> Heather & Rick,
>
> Most points have already been (excellently) covered elsewhere in this
> thread, however just two further ones, if I may.
>
> Heather - as I already suggested in the previous thread. If you choose a
> 'standard' floppy drive (i.e. not USB) then consider one with an integral
> (USB) card reader. The following gives you a description - I'm sure Willy
> could source it for you on your side of the pond
> Combined FDD & 7 in 1 Card Reader :-
> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...

That *is* neat.

> Which takes care of another external USB cable <g>
>
> Rick - you asked "... can you share a USB line between two computers ?"
>
> Yes! - PCLinQ or PC link Adapter see :-
> http://www.nti1.com/usb-link.html

similar to the old laplink stuff rs-232... I had more in mind cheap
shareable external failover drives or cameras or something (mind you if
you need that sort of thing you can already afford normal
network-enabled devices)

Rick

> [...]
>>>and spyware on it.
>>
>>Did he give it back to you? <grin>
>>
>>>Couldn't use the mouse even. So he finally had to
>>>reformat it and he explained it all to me. He doesn't like having to
>>>resort
>>>to that either. But I was amazed at how many people brought in
>>>virus-laden
>>>computers for him to fix. Are they all nuts??? No AV, no ZA.....nada.
>>
>>:(
>>
>>It *should* be possible to run without all that stuff on a competent OS,
>>but it isn't.
>>

>>Rick
>>

>>>Anyway.....comments are most appreciated. Want to make sure I get all
>>>the
>>>right components and not forget anything.
>>
>>One thing you might try (then come here and tell me about it) is a proggie
>>that pretends that a directory is a CD... oddly enough I think it's a

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:05:55 AM

> [...]
>>>

>>>Bizarre question for everybody... can you share a USB line between two
>>>computers ?

>>>Huh? set up the new thing make sure it works transfer old files over and
>>>give the old one to a charity/relative.

>>>pretty well standard, I imagine. While you're there may as well specify
>>>front-mounted mic and headphone jacks.

>>>Be neat to hear from him too; he's frontline trying to put the most
>>>recent stuff together; can give quite the depth into current computing
>>>trends. Invite(/drag) him in.

>>>Did he give it back to you? <grin>

>>>:(
>>>
>>>It *should* be possible to run without all that stuff on a competent OS,
>>>but it isn't.
>>>

>>>Rick

>>>One thing you might try (then come here and tell me about it) is a
>>>proggie that pretends that a directory is a CD... oddly enough I think

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 8:08:35 AM

Heather wrote:

> 1. I don't need a separate sound card. I play music for my own enjoyment
> so that should be enough.

Discrete sound cards are better sounds quality than integrated ones and
have buffers so they don't waste CPU cycles. Cheap, too.

> 2. I do have a card reader for my camera card which is a USB one. And you
> all think that a floppy reader of that ilk would be better.....so will look
> into that.

I think the one that Shane pointed out is neat and a good looking
solution in some respects to a problem you don't have since you say you
already have a USB card reader.

Rick
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 8:10:15 AM

umm...
July 10, 2005 9:25:06 AM

In news:uHeEh8LhFHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> had this to say:

> 1. Asus Motherboard

GigaByte with nVidia Chipstet is my latest passion for mobo...

> 2. ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card (not a gamer, grin)

If you're not a gamer then there's some decent low-end 128 MB GeForce
MX4000s out there.

> 3. Audigy Sound Card

Hmm... I'm a Creative Labs (Sound Blaster series) fan but sound is sound
yes?

> 4. 512 RAM (Kingston or similar)

Grab a GB while you're there. Really, the difference is noticable.

> 5. At least 120 gig hard drive....will probably get 160 gig.

Instead of 1 x 160 why not 2 x 80 so one can be used to clone your OS on and
you'll almost always have a backup and be able to do a real restore inside
of 10 minutes regardless of the OS? Two drives seldom fail at once.

> 6. DVD/CD RW (?) drive....not sure if I have that straight. Plays
> and writes to DVD and CD...dual channel. Assume that is two drives.

Good idea 1 CD RW and 1 DVD RW (the DVD RW *should* function as a CD RW
anyhow these days and makes a good backup should the other fail.)

> 7. I asked that a floppy drive be put in.....Dell has stopped
> installing them, for instance.

What OS? If you're going to use this PC to upgrade to XP then keep in mind
the three mode floppy issues.

> The rest is the usual Pentium things and I guess I will use the
> monitor and speakers from this computer. An LCD flat panel monitor
> is about $270.

I like CRT more than LCD so I can agree there. Though I'd go with AMD as
opposed to Intel. Faster, better, and cheaper in my opinion.

> I plan on using a router and networking the two of them for a while at
> least.

Good, good... Sounds like you're taking the plunge and going to have a good
time with networking if you haven't already done so.

> Oops....forgot to ask him about front USB ports. Will add that to
> the List.

Absolutely... Front side USB 2.0 is pretty much standard these days.

I snipped out the other bits...

Get OEM burners and you'll likely get NERO free. I really am fond of
AOpen... For HDDs I like Maxtor but they run hot so ask them to separate
them in the bays if you do go with two of them or you risk early drive
failure (tens of thousands of hours or more before that happens IIRC .)

The real question is what do you want? How much are you willing to spend?
What are your goals with the PC? What brands do you like best? What will
make you happiest in your opinion? I think you'll find that most parts are
pretty much created equal these days. Each vendor will have a bad part come
off the line but, for the most part, you'll get the same chance of success
with any major vendor. Don't skimp on the RAM and aim high with something
like PC3700.

The last custom PC I had built for me, I got it last last week, I spent
nearly a month picking out the parts. So far I'm impressed and hope that you
are going to be impressed with your build as well.

I very much agree with the name brand RAM. So many of the lesser brands
contain small errors that don't show up until you've run extensive testing
on them that it's worth the extra cash upfront to avoid the strange BSODs
later on. Diagnosing RAM errors is not a very enjoyable task.

You'll find that the GigaByte board is less expensive than that ASUS and has
all the features. They also have a decent return policy and warranty. The
extra cash can help pay for the separate drive and an upgraded power supply.
Buying AMD is the only logical choice from my perspective these days - I
like the value and performance. I've been pleased with them since their
release of the AMD K6 line. The money saved will buy you some additional
fans and perhaps a better case.

Optionally you could drop to just a single CD/DVD RW combo drive and upgrade
to SATA HDDs and keep the price range near what you seem to be headed
towards. I don't know what speed CPU you were aiming at but if you're
looking for a heck of a bargain and willing to settle for
not-quite-the-fastest-computer-on-the-block then the AMD Athalon XP 3200+ is
a decent buy. It benchmarks in the P4 3.2 to 3.4 GHz range while only
operating at 2.2 GHz and remains fairly cool. If you're aiming for the 64
bit market then there's no reason to not get the AMD64...

Anyhow, those are just a couple of ideas. I haven't read everyone else's yet
but given the stats you suggested that's where I'd head.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:05:05 PM

The x64's are 64-but processors - Intel's supposed equivalent currently is
the Itanium
Sempron has now effectively replaced AthlonXP -

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...

You may be thinking of the Turion 64??
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

news:o ZM%23D5OhFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> haven't kept up in any detail, but M's are already in some desktop MB's; I
> think the AMD proc I'm thinking of is Athlon-64 (?) their equivalent of
> Celeron.
>

> Rick
July 10, 2005 2:09:40 PM

Agreed.

Shane
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:17:59 PM

Galen,
I have heard so much about the Maxtor's running hot. I have not
experienced this with mine and I have four of them stacked in the front of
the case. Of course, this case (Antec Lanboy) has the HD 'slide in' mounts
positioned right behind the intake fan in the front......the drives (all
7.2Krpm, liquid bearings) remain comfortably warm, barely above body temp.
I think there has been some recent improvement on the newer drives compared
to those of just a year or two ago. I really like the 'slide in'
mounts....simply mount the drive to a rail, isolated with rubber mounts, and
the drive simply slides in a slot and lock in place. The rubber mounts make
them almost silent....no noise transmitted to the case. The MTBF rating
for these drives is very good, they will probably outlast me.
Heirloom, old and running cool

news:o gjHFFThFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Get OEM burners and you'll likely get NERO free. I really am fond of
> AOpen... For HDDs I like Maxtor but they run hot so ask them to separate
> them in the bays if you do go with two of them or you risk early drive
> failure (tens of thousands of hours or more before that happens IIRC .)
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:38:46 PM

One thought occurs, H
In general, the bigger the HD, the lower the latency, and the higher the
transfer speed (at least for single partitions) - YMMV, of course!

--

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> 5. At least 120 gig hard drive....will probably get 160 gig.
> Unless you are in to partitioning, why not more of smaller drives?? I
> have the two 80G SATA's in Raid 0 for boot, an 80G IDE for data (or
> whatever) and a 300G IDE partitioned into a 200 and 100 for backing up the
> Raid and single 80G using Acronis True Image.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:52:51 PM

Nah - he's probably back on the paint fumes.

Mart

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Agreed.
>
> Shane

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:03:40 PM

Noel Paton wrote:
> The x64's are 64-but processors - Intel's supposed equivalent currently is
> the Itanium
> Sempron has now effectively replaced AthlonXP -
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
>
> You may be thinking of the Turion 64??
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...

maybe, noted in my travails that one of their product line, though
producing twice the heat of a Pentium M was still about a third of the
heat produced by either co's frontline stuff. And I have a
predisposition towards DEC engineering (AMD's chipsets are based on a
DEC design).

Rick
July 11, 2005 1:19:20 AM

In news:eTmtNKWhFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> had this to say:

> Galen,
> I have heard so much about the Maxtor's running hot. I have
> not experienced this with mine and I have four of them stacked in the
> front of the case. Of course, this case (Antec Lanboy) has the HD
> 'slide in' mounts positioned right behind the intake fan in the
> front......the drives (all 7.2Krpm, liquid bearings) remain comfortably
> warm, barely above body
> temp. I think there has been some recent improvement on the newer
> drives compared to those of just a year or two ago. I really like
> the 'slide in' mounts....simply mount the drive to a rail, isolated
> with rubber mounts, and the drive simply slides in a slot and lock in
> place. The rubber mounts make them almost silent....no noise
> transmitted to the case. The MTBF rating for these drives is very
> good, they will probably
> outlast me. Heirloom, old and running cool

The two that are in this box are both really comfortable at 87.4 degrees F.
A tool-less case is the cats bottom indeed. Mine too are right near a fan
but it's an old habbit that I separate them by a space. (I keep an eye on
them with an Enermax System Monitor/card reader. They are kinda neat
really.)

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:46:12 AM

Mine are running at 104 degrees F.....substantial difference, but, well
under tolerances and I have four sitting atop one another about 1/2" in
between for air. I looked at the Enermax panels........neat stuff and quite
reasonable on price. Were I in need of more slots on the front, that would
be a terrific choice.
Heirloom, old and 'bout time for bed
.....hey Figglet, you should get one of these for your new box......right
after the blue LED fans.....I'll send you a pic.

> In news:eTmtNKWhFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> had this to say:

>> Galen,
>> I have heard so much about the Maxtor's running hot. I have
>> not experienced this with mine and I have four of them stacked in the
>> front of the case. Of course, this case (Antec Lanboy) has the HD
>> 'slide in' mounts positioned right behind the intake fan in the
>> front......the drives (all 7.2Krpm, liquid bearings) remain comfortably
>> warm, barely above body
>> temp. I think there has been some recent improvement on the newer
>> drives compared to those of just a year or two ago. I really like
>> the 'slide in' mounts....simply mount the drive to a rail, isolated
>> with rubber mounts, and the drive simply slides in a slot and lock in
>> place. The rubber mounts make them almost silent....no noise
>> transmitted to the case. The MTBF rating for these drives is very
>> good, they will probably
>> outlast me. Heirloom, old and running cool
>
> The two that are in this box are both really comfortable at 87.4 degrees
> F. A tool-less case is the cats bottom indeed. Mine too are right near a
> fan but it's an old habbit that I separate them by a space. (I keep an eye
> on them with an Enermax System Monitor/card reader. They are kinda neat
> really.)
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:35:40 AM

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Bizarre question for everybody... can you share a USB line between two
>computers ?

USB is hot pluggable so you can share by unplugging and plugging
between computers.

There are USB printer switches that allow a USB printer to be
connected to USB ports on two computers.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:35:41 AM

Ron Martell wrote:
> Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Bizarre question for everybody... can you share a USB line between two
>>computers ?
>>

> USB is hot pluggable so you can share by unplugging and plugging
> between computers.

I wasn't really thinking of failover protection, just pondering a cheap
way to share stuff like a USB TV-tuner or external hard or optical drive
without having to hard unplug things.

> There are USB printer switches that allow a USB printer to be
> connected to USB ports on two computers.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
July 11, 2005 4:58:04 AM

In news:uqWt0NdhFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> had this to say:

> Mine are running at 104 degrees F.....substantial difference, but,
> well under tolerances and I have four sitting atop one another about
> 1/2" in between for air. I looked at the Enermax panels........neat
> stuff and quite reasonable on price. Were I in need of more slots
> on the front, that would be a terrific choice.
> Heirloom, old and 'bout time for bed
> ....hey Figglet, you should get one of these for your new
> box......right after the blue LED fans.....I'll send you a pic.

Yeah she should. ;)  And mine are separated by spaces so that there's no
restriction of airflow. Maybe something you could do in your spare time if
you wanted. Also mine are 10k RPM if I recall? (I could look it up for you
if you wanted.) Really, add the space between them if you can in your case,
it's a god-send and though they don't run that hot even on your system you
might find you cool them quite a bit. I keep all my fans turned all the way
up plus my "lab" is in a basement where room temp. is right now about 70
degrees. That probably has a lot to do with it.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:58:05 AM

Yep, the ambient temp has a LOT to do with it.....substantially warmer in
here. My fan is set to change speeds around a set temp range for the hard
drives and cpu, so they vary. As does the temp, I had just finished doing
a scan when I took that reading, I think they average around 98F..........in
any event, they ain't hot. Isn't 1/2"-3/4" spacing sufficient for airflow?
That's about how mine our spaced.......airflow is not restricted to an
consequence. I don't have the 10Krpm drives.........they were too proud of
those for my blood, lol. Did you build your box? Sounds quite nice.
We need to do some emailing on these setups....my addy isn't too hard to
figure out, if you like.
Heirloom, old and ain't
nothin' like a new box

> In news:uqWt0NdhFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> had this to say:

>> Mine are running at 104 degrees F.....substantial difference, but,
>> well under tolerances and I have four sitting atop one another about
>> 1/2" in between for air. I looked at the Enermax panels........neat
>> stuff and quite reasonable on price. Were I in need of more slots
>> on the front, that would be a terrific choice.
>> Heirloom, old and 'bout time for bed
>> ....hey Figglet, you should get one of these for your new
>> box......right after the blue LED fans.....I'll send you a pic.
>
> Yeah she should. ;)  And mine are separated by spaces so that there's no
> restriction of airflow. Maybe something you could do in your spare time if
> you wanted. Also mine are 10k RPM if I recall? (I could look it up for you
> if you wanted.) Really, add the space between them if you can in your
> case, it's a god-send and though they don't run that hot even on your
> system you might find you cool them quite a bit. I keep all my fans turned
> all the way up plus my "lab" is in a basement where room temp. is right
> now about 70 degrees. That probably has a lot to do with it.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

July 11, 2005 5:36:24 AM

Good Grief, Charlie Brown!!! I am running as hard as I can to learn about
this here stuff!! Let me think.....it costs the same for me to call Texas
or the UK....hmmm. Maybe both are in order, lol.

I will cut and paste all of the replies into a totally incoherent letter for
Willy tomorrow and see what all he says......

And will await your picture (just the fan, grin)

Cheers....Figglet

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Mine are running at 104 degrees F.....substantial difference, but, well
> under tolerances and I have four sitting atop one another about 1/2" in
> between for air. I looked at the Enermax panels........neat stuff and
quite
> reasonable on price. Were I in need of more slots on the front, that
would
> be a terrific choice.
> Heirloom, old and 'bout time for bed
> ....hey Figglet, you should get one of these for your new box......right
> after the blue LED fans.....I'll send you a pic.
>

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > In news:eTmtNKWhFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> > Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> >> Galen,
> >> I have heard so much about the Maxtor's running hot. I have
> >> not experienced this with mine and I have four of them stacked in the
> >> front of the case. Of course, this case (Antec Lanboy) has the HD
> >> 'slide in' mounts positioned right behind the intake fan in the
> >> front......the drives (all 7.2Krpm, liquid bearings) remain comfortably
> >> warm, barely above body
> >> temp. I think there has been some recent improvement on the newer
> >> drives compared to those of just a year or two ago. I really like
> >> the 'slide in' mounts....simply mount the drive to a rail, isolated
> >> with rubber mounts, and the drive simply slides in a slot and lock in
> >> place. The rubber mounts make them almost silent....no noise
> >> transmitted to the case. The MTBF rating for these drives is very
> >> good, they will probably
> >> outlast me. Heirloom, old and running cool
> >
> > The two that are in this box are both really comfortable at 87.4 degrees
> > F. A tool-less case is the cats bottom indeed. Mine too are right near a
> > fan but it's an old habbit that I separate them by a space. (I keep an
eye
> > on them with an Enermax System Monitor/card reader. They are kinda neat
> > really.)
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> >
> > "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> > without them."
> >
> > Sherlock Holmes

July 11, 2005 4:22:41 PM

In news:%230qjahdhFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> had this to say:

> Yep, the ambient temp has a LOT to do with it.....substantially
> warmer in here. My fan is set to change speeds around a set temp
> range for the hard drives and cpu, so they vary. As does the temp,
> I had just finished doing a scan when I took that reading, I think
> they average around 98F..........in any event, they ain't hot. Isn't
> 1/2"-3/4" spacing sufficient for airflow? That's about how mine
> our spaced.......airflow is not restricted to an consequence. I
> don't have the 10Krpm drives.........they were too proud of those for
> my blood, lol. Did you build your box? Sounds quite nice. We
> need to do some emailing on these setups....my addy isn't too hard to
> figure out, if you
> like. Heirloom, old and ain't nothin' like a new box

Expect a private mail shortly.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:29:42 AM

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>I wasn't really thinking of failover protection, just pondering a cheap
>way to share stuff like a USB TV-tuner or external hard or optical drive
>without having to hard unplug things.

Yes. USB switches for device sharing are available from Belkin and
several other suppliers.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAc...

http://sewelldirect.com/UsbSwitch.asp?semt_adcatid=1186...

!