Connect to bob on startup

clayton

I am trying to find out why the connect to dialup box starts up when I start
up my computer, I have disabled liveupdate's dialup feature and it still
happens, nothing I can see in msconfig/startup that needs internet
connection. Any ideas?

Cheers

Did you recently install the MS Anti-Spyware proggy...........a friend of
mine just determined that was trying to 'phone home' and causing other
problems on his machine. If not, get a copy of the free Zone Alarm
firewall........it should give you an indication of what app is trying to
connect. Also, Process Explorer, free, from www.sysinternals.com is a great
app, it will show you every active process on your machine along with the %
of cpu being used by each.
Heirloom, old and it could happen

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>I am trying to find out why the connect to dialup box starts up when I
>start up my computer, I have disabled liveupdate's dialup feature and it
>still happens, nothing I can see in msconfig/startup that needs internet
>connection. Any ideas?
>
> Cheers

clayton

connect to bob? I don't know how that got there, I mean connect to internet
on startup

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>I am trying to find out why the connect to dialup box starts up when I
>start up my computer, I have disabled liveupdate's dialup feature and it
>still happens, nothing I can see in msconfig/startup that needs internet
>connection. Any ideas?
>
> Cheers

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Grin.....just a thought. Go to Tools/Options/General tab in OE.....is there
a check mark in the "Send and Receive Messages at Startup"?? If so, untick
it.

Just a guess here.....Heather

> connect to bob? I don't know how that got there, I mean connect to
internet
> on startup
>

> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> >I am trying to find out why the connect to dialup box starts up when I
> >start up my computer, I have disabled liveupdate's dialup feature and it
> >still happens, nothing I can see in msconfig/startup that needs internet
> >connection. Any ideas?
> >
> > Cheers

clayton

No, I haven't installed MS Anti Spyware
I'll try Zone Alarm, thanks

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Did you recently install the MS Anti-Spyware proggy...........a friend of
> mine just determined that was trying to 'phone home' and causing other
> problems on his machine. If not, get a copy of the free Zone Alarm
> firewall........it should give you an indication of what app is trying to
> connect. Also, Process Explorer, free, from www.sysinternals.com is a
> great app, it will show you every active process on your machine along
> with the % of cpu being used by each.
> Heirloom, old and it could happen
>

> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>I am trying to find out why the connect to dialup box starts up when I
>>start up my computer, I have disabled liveupdate's dialup feature and it
>>still happens, nothing I can see in msconfig/startup that needs internet
>>connection. Any ideas?
>>
>> Cheers

clayton

It only seems to happen when I have the dialup set to automatic dial and the
ADSL router NIC plugged in, this has never happenned on other pc's set like
this

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:58:29 +1200, Clayton wrote:

> It only seems to happen when I have the dialup set to automatic dial and the
> ADSL router NIC plugged in, this has never happenned on other pc's set like
> this

My dialup menu has three choices:

Never dial a connection
Dial whenever a network connection is not present
Always dial my default connection

Currently, I have selected, "Never dial a connection". However, because I
am behind a router which keeps a permanent connection running, about 99.9%
of the time, I suppose that I could set it for, "Dial whenever a network
connection is not present"; but I suspect that would only invoke the dialer
if the router failed to maintain the LAN connections.

Could it be that, during a Windows boot, the dialer doesn't detect the ADSL
router connection before it begins its dial routine? Try using "Never dial
a connection" for your dialup modem setting.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain