hard drive partition problem

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have two hardrives: a Western Digital 80gig (windows is installed on
this one), and a Western Digital 160gig. I have 30gig partitioned on the
first one, and 100gig on the second. I run WinXP fully updated, but am
unable to create or resize a partition. I have tried creating a new
partition on both drives using the default windows utility, as well as
PartitionMagic 8.0 (also tried resizing with this)... neither works. The
windows utility says it couldn't be done and to check the system log and
reboot if necessary. PartitionMagic says either it is a write error or
can't be done. Any ideas? I'd like to be able to use that extra space.
Thanks a lot!
Eric

"Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> wrote...
> I have two hardrives: a Western Digital 80gig (windows is installed on this
> one), and a Western Digital 160gig. I have 30gig partitioned on the first
> one, and 100gig on the second. I run WinXP fully updated, but am unable to
> create or resize a partition. I have tried creating a new partition on both
> drives using the default windows utility, as well as PartitionMagic 8.0 (also
> tried resizing with this)... neither works. The windows utility says it
> couldn't be done and to check the system log and reboot if necessary.
> PartitionMagic says either it is a write error or can't be done. Any ideas?
> I'd like to be able to use that extra space.

What type is the existing partition, and how large? How are you trying to
partition it? If the drive was partitioned using a WD utility or other utility
that does not use standard APIs (common in the past for large HDs), you may have
to wipe, repartition, and reformat the HD.

The Primary Partition can only have 1 logical drive on it. If the Primary
Partition on your boot drive takes up the whole HD, but the logical drive on it
is only formatted for part of it (30 GB), you will have to reduce the size of
that partition, create a second "Extended" partition, and create/format the
logical drive on that partition.

If none of that works, you may have to use a WD HD test utility to find out if
the drive is damaged physically or logically. You should be able to D/L the
latest from the WD web site.

In article <tH4Yd.4032$uk7.813@fed1read01>, Eric says...
> I have two hardrives: a Western Digital 80gig (windows is installed on
> this one), and a Western Digital 160gig. I have 30gig partitioned on the
> first one, and 100gig on the second. I run WinXP fully updated, but am
> unable to create or resize a partition. I have tried creating a new
> partition on both drives using the default windows utility, as well as
> PartitionMagic 8.0 (also tried resizing with this)... neither works. The
> windows utility says it couldn't be done and to check the system log and
> reboot if necessary. PartitionMagic says either it is a write error or
> can't be done. Any ideas? I'd like to be able to use that extra space.
> Thanks a lot!
> Eric

Read and inwardly digest. You may need a BIOS update.

http://www.48bitlba.com/

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the help guys. I figured the problem out though. I have
Norton GoBack, and apparently it doesn't like you changing partition sizes
and whatnot. I disabled this and was able to resize my drives. Didn't even
consider it until last night... probably would have been nice to let you
guys know :). Thanks again!
Eric