Annoying minor Video card animation problem - jerky.

Hello All

I have a minor problem with animation in any Open GL game I play. When
scrolling around or moving and causing the computer to redraw the
screen ( e.g. mouselooking in Quake3 or Descent 3) the animation is
fast but jerky. It's really hard to explain, but for instance - when
i turn or scroll so that the screen is redrawn - most of the "frames"
animate very fast, but it seems like every 30 frames or so - the
display gets "stuck" (for a split second) on one frame every second
or so. This makes the animation interrmittently jerky. These games
are well within the capabilities of my video card (Radeon 9000 PRO).
My old Voodoo3 never had this kind of jerky animation problem. I have
the latest Windows XP drivers

My system:

Athlon 700, 256 MB PC100
40 GB 5400 RPM HD
Sapphire Radeon 9000 PRO 64 MB
Mitsumi CD-RW
Zoltrix Nightingale Value
D-Link 530TX

I know this problem is pretty minor - but boy is this annoying - I
never thought I'd have a problem like this. It's really hard to fix
because nobody knows what I'm talking about

Any Ideas on what might be causing this?

Any Ideas?

"BrownCow" wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have a minor problem with animation in any Open GL game I play. When
> scrolling around or moving and causing the computer to redraw the
> screen ( e.g. mouselooking in Quake3 or Descent 3) the animation is
> fast but jerky. It's really hard to explain, but for instance - when
> i turn or scroll so that the screen is redrawn - most of the "frames"
> animate very fast, but it seems like every 30 frames or so - the
> display gets "stuck" (for a split second) on one frame every second
> or so. This makes the animation interrmittently jerky. These games
> are well within the capabilities of my video card (Radeon 9000 PRO).
> My old Voodoo3 never had this kind of jerky animation problem. I have
> the latest Windows XP drivers
>
> My system:
>
> Athlon 700, 256 MB PC100
> 40 GB 5400 RPM HD
> Sapphire Radeon 9000 PRO 64 MB
> Mitsumi CD-RW
> Zoltrix Nightingale Value
> D-Link 530TX

I would use different drivers, older ones, directly from ATI. You've also
got a rather slow system for running WinXP, IMHO, especially with the small
amount of RAM that you have. At the very least you might try seriously
reducing the number of services running, turning off indexing and system
restore, et cetera, but you might be better off with WinXP or Win2k (just my
opinion - others will disagree with that assessment of OS preference). When
you "glitch up", does the HDD light come on?

For now, try different drivers (properly uninstalling the old ones first),
make sure you have the sppropriate mainboard chipset drivers (I would
sugggest one but you didn't specify your mainboard), and yank unnecesary
services in WinXP, especially indexing and system restore.

Remember, the Quake3 engine is highly dependent upon CPU and RAM (and less
so upon your GPU), so whatever you can do to lessen the overhead of your OS
will go a long way to improving performance.

Jon

BrownCow wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have a minor problem with animation in any Open GL game I play. When
> scrolling around or moving and causing the computer to redraw the
> screen ( e.g. mouselooking in Quake3 or Descent 3) the animation is
> fast but jerky. It's really hard to explain, but for instance - when
> i turn or scroll so that the screen is redrawn - most of the "frames"
> animate very fast, but it seems like every 30 frames or so - the
> display gets "stuck" (for a split second) on one frame every second
> or so. This makes the animation interrmittently jerky. These games
> are well within the capabilities of my video card (Radeon 9000 PRO).
> My old Voodoo3 never had this kind of jerky animation problem. I have
> the latest Windows XP drivers
>
> My system:
>
> Athlon 700, 256 MB PC100
> 40 GB 5400 RPM HD
> Sapphire Radeon 9000 PRO 64 MB
> Mitsumi CD-RW
> Zoltrix Nightingale Value
> D-Link 530TX
>
> I know this problem is pretty minor - but boy is this annoying - I
> never thought I'd have a problem like this. It's really hard to fix
> because nobody knows what I'm talking about
>
> Any Ideas on what might be causing this?
>
> Any Ideas?

I wonder if your card is significantly underpowered for those games, as
well as the rest of your system (way too slow CPU and too little RAM).
Time to upgrade to at LEAST: 9600XT based video card, 512mb RAM, and a
2.4GHz CPU.

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/