Icons on Desktop after 290700 install

Since System Restore was not properly restoring my system back to a previous
date and after reading various posts related to System Restore, I downloaded
and installed hotfix patch 290700. Now, every time I boot up, either warm or
cold boot, 12 icons show up on the desktop naming various files contained
within the Windows AppLog Folder. The file names differ each time I re-boot.
Can I simply delete the AppLog Folder and the problem will go away or do I
need to make a change in the registry ? If registry, please identify the
section and 'specific' required change(s).
12 answers Last reply
More about icons desktop 290700 install

    As I mentioned in my e-mail to you what you are seeing has nothing to do
    with having installed the 290700 hotfix. The 290700 hotfix replaces
    smgr.dll with an updated version, flushes the restore archive and creates
    a new system restore checkpoint. 290700 has nothing whatsoever to do with
    the Applog folder, its contents or the display of any icon on your desktop
    that points to the contents of that folder. The 290700 hotfix does not
    contain the code to do what you are seeing.

    Instead look at possible malware on your system. Check with your
    preferred anti-virus application equipped with a current set of viral
    signatures and also tools such as SpyBot and AdAware Look also for the
    addition of additional items to the startup axis, a first place to check
    being for possible rogue entries on the Startup tab of MSConfig (Start |
    Run, enter MSConfig in the box and then click OK).
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Sparky <Sparky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Since System Restore was not properly restoring my system back to a
    > previous date and after reading various posts related to System
    > Restore, I downloaded and installed hotfix patch 290700. Now, every
    > time I boot up, either warm or cold boot, 12 icons show up on the
    > desktop naming various files contained within the Windows AppLog
    > Folder. The file names differ each time I re-boot. Can I simply
    > delete the AppLog Folder and the problem will go away or do I need to
    > make a change in the registry ? If registry, please identify the
    > section and 'specific' required change(s).

    Thank you Mike M for the 'Ultra-Quick' attention and reply. I have ran the
    SpyBot and AdAware but the programs found no entries but will look for
    start-up entries as you suggest. Also ran total virus scan with latest
    auto-update signatures - nothing found. This is a Mystery to me. Is it
    possible some BHO has entered my system and caused this ?

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > As I mentioned in my e-mail to you what you are seeing has nothing to do
    > with having installed the 290700 hotfix. The 290700 hotfix replaces
    > smgr.dll with an updated version, flushes the restore archive and creates
    > a new system restore checkpoint. 290700 has nothing whatsoever to do with
    > the Applog folder, its contents or the display of any icon on your desktop
    > that points to the contents of that folder. The 290700 hotfix does not
    > contain the code to do what you are seeing.
    >
    > Instead look at possible malware on your system. Check with your
    > preferred anti-virus application equipped with a current set of viral
    > signatures and also tools such as SpyBot and AdAware Look also for the
    > addition of additional items to the startup axis, a first place to check
    > being for possible rogue entries on the Startup tab of MSConfig (Start |
    > Run, enter MSConfig in the box and then click OK).
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Sparky <Sparky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Since System Restore was not properly restoring my system back to a
    > > previous date and after reading various posts related to System
    > > Restore, I downloaded and installed hotfix patch 290700. Now, every
    > > time I boot up, either warm or cold boot, 12 icons show up on the
    > > desktop naming various files contained within the Windows AppLog
    > > Folder. The file names differ each time I re-boot. Can I simply
    > > delete the AppLog Folder and the problem will go away or do I need to
    > > make a change in the registry ? If registry, please identify the
    > > section and 'specific' required change(s).

    The Windows file <applog> is used, AFAIK, for nothing more than information
    collected on application use to 'fine tune' the defrag process. Its' real
    value is somewhat debatable, but, it can be deleted and even prevented from
    running. Re: your concern over BHO's.........Spybot should have picked up
    on anything bad, also, there is the free app: BHO Demon. However, I have
    experienced program conflicts with BHO Demon on my previous Me box....
    Heirloom, old and must seek a food
    source

    "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you Mike M for the 'Ultra-Quick' attention and reply. I have ran the
    > SpyBot and AdAware but the programs found no entries but will look for
    > start-up entries as you suggest. Also ran total virus scan with latest
    > auto-update signatures - nothing found. This is a Mystery to me. Is it
    > possible some BHO has entered my system and caused this ?
    >
    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    >> As I mentioned in my e-mail to you what you are seeing has nothing to do
    >> with having installed the 290700 hotfix. The 290700 hotfix replaces
    >> smgr.dll with an updated version, flushes the restore archive and creates
    >> a new system restore checkpoint. 290700 has nothing whatsoever to do
    >> with
    >> the Applog folder, its contents or the display of any icon on your
    >> desktop
    >> that points to the contents of that folder. The 290700 hotfix does not
    >> contain the code to do what you are seeing.
    >>
    >> Instead look at possible malware on your system. Check with your
    >> preferred anti-virus application equipped with a current set of viral
    >> signatures and also tools such as SpyBot and AdAware Look also for the
    >> addition of additional items to the startup axis, a first place to check
    >> being for possible rogue entries on the Startup tab of MSConfig (Start |
    >> Run, enter MSConfig in the box and then click OK).
    >> --
    >> Mike Maltby
    >> mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >>

    >> Sparky <Sparky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Since System Restore was not properly restoring my system back to a
    >> > previous date and after reading various posts related to System
    >> > Restore, I downloaded and installed hotfix patch 290700. Now, every
    >> > time I boot up, either warm or cold boot, 12 icons show up on the
    >> > desktop naming various files contained within the Windows AppLog
    >> > Folder. The file names differ each time I re-boot. Can I simply
    >> > delete the AppLog Folder and the problem will go away or do I need to
    >> > make a change in the registry ? If registry, please identify the
    >> > section and 'specific' required change(s).

    Thanks Heirloom for your post. If you happen across any other idea(s),
    please, let me know.

    "Heirloom" wrote:

    > The Windows file <applog> is used, AFAIK, for nothing more than information
    > collected on application use to 'fine tune' the defrag process. Its' real
    > value is somewhat debatable, but, it can be deleted and even prevented from
    > running. Re: your concern over BHO's.........Spybot should have picked up
    > on anything bad, also, there is the free app: BHO Demon. However, I have
    > experienced program conflicts with BHO Demon on my previous Me box....
    > Heirloom, old and must seek a food
    > source
    >
    > "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you Mike M for the 'Ultra-Quick' attention and reply. I have ran the
    > > SpyBot and AdAware but the programs found no entries but will look for
    > > start-up entries as you suggest. Also ran total virus scan with latest
    > > auto-update signatures - nothing found. This is a Mystery to me. Is it
    > > possible some BHO has entered my system and caused this ?
    > >
    > > "Mike M" wrote:
    > >
    > >> As I mentioned in my e-mail to you what you are seeing has nothing to do
    > >> with having installed the 290700 hotfix. The 290700 hotfix replaces
    > >> smgr.dll with an updated version, flushes the restore archive and creates
    > >> a new system restore checkpoint. 290700 has nothing whatsoever to do
    > >> with
    > >> the Applog folder, its contents or the display of any icon on your
    > >> desktop
    > >> that points to the contents of that folder. The 290700 hotfix does not
    > >> contain the code to do what you are seeing.
    > >>
    > >> Instead look at possible malware on your system. Check with your
    > >> preferred anti-virus application equipped with a current set of viral
    > >> signatures and also tools such as SpyBot and AdAware Look also for the
    > >> addition of additional items to the startup axis, a first place to check
    > >> being for possible rogue entries on the Startup tab of MSConfig (Start |
    > >> Run, enter MSConfig in the box and then click OK).
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Maltby
    > >> mike.maltby@gmail.com

    The details as to the content of the Applog folder and their origin
    remains unchanged from when I gave you those details in response to your
    original e-mail. That is they are created by taskmon.exe and used, as
    mentioned by heirloom, by defrag when optimising the location of the files
    on your hard disk when defragging. As previously mentioned the contents
    of the AppLog folder can be safely deleted and it will in due course be
    re-populated by taskmon as necessary.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thanks Heirloom for your post. If you happen across any other idea(s),
    > please, let me know.

    Thanks Mike for your time and followup post. I intend to delete the AppLog
    Folder content and see if that is the fix but, before I delete the contents,
    do you think, is there a remote chance by some way or other an entry got into
    my registry through taskmon.exe (HKEY_USERS/DESKTOP) directing download of
    icons onto the desktop ? I have not done a search and wanted your opinion
    before I got into the registry. Thanks again for your help. Regards, Fred

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > The details as to the content of the Applog folder and their origin
    > remains unchanged from when I gave you those details in response to your
    > original e-mail. That is they are created by taskmon.exe and used, as
    > mentioned by heirloom, by defrag when optimising the location of the files
    > on your hard disk when defragging. As previously mentioned the contents
    > of the AppLog folder can be safely deleted and it will in due course be
    > re-populated by taskmon as necessary.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Heirloom for your post. If you happen across any other idea(s),
    > > please, let me know.

    I've previously suggested that you use MSConfig to check for possible
    unwanted startup entries (first post this thread). May I again suggest
    you do so if you haven't yet done this? Incidentally icons aren't
    downloaded to the desktop but I think I know what you mean. <g>

    I'm unaware of an HKCU\Desktop key so have no ideas as to its purpose if
    you have such a key. It is just conceivably possible though that the
    icons are created as a result of entries in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
    key.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Thanks Mike for your time and followup post. I intend to delete the
    > AppLog Folder content and see if that is the fix but, before I delete
    > the contents, do you think, is there a remote chance by some way or
    > other an entry got into my registry through taskmon.exe
    > (HKEY_USERS/DESKTOP) directing download of icons onto the desktop ? I
    > have not done a search and wanted your opinion before I got into the
    > registry. Thanks again for your help. Regards, Fred

    I do not know what it was or how it got there but (Problem Sloved). I ran
    AdAware and Spybot 3 times each and a Total System virus scan 3 times.After
    each run, I warm re-booted.The problem remained until I ran my Virus program
    the 3 rd time. My guess is a Trojan someway got in and causing the problem or
    maybe a BHO but I don't know how.I understand from reading about BHOs, they
    can do Just About Anything. I did the msconfig thing as you suggested but
    there were no surprises.
    Thank you very much for your time and follow-up helping me resolve this
    issue. ***Now I need to determine why it takes over 30 minutes to install a
    small xxx kb Security update from Microsoft Windows Update.
    Best Regards,
    Fred

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > I've previously suggested that you use MSConfig to check for possible
    > unwanted startup entries (first post this thread). May I again suggest
    > you do so if you haven't yet done this? Incidentally icons aren't
    > downloaded to the desktop but I think I know what you mean. <g>
    >
    > I'm unaware of an HKCU\Desktop key so have no ideas as to its purpose if
    > you have such a key. It is just conceivably possible though that the
    > icons are created as a result of entries in the
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
    > key.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Mike for your time and followup post. I intend to delete the
    > > AppLog Folder content and see if that is the fix but, before I delete
    > > the contents, do you think, is there a remote chance by some way or
    > > other an entry got into my registry through taskmon.exe
    > > (HKEY_USERS/DESKTOP) directing download of icons onto the desktop ? I
    > > have not done a search and wanted your opinion before I got into the
    > > registry. Thanks again for your help. Regards, Fred

    Fred,

    Well done, it helps to persevere in the way that you have and thanks for
    the feedback letting us all know you've managed to fix the problem.

    Turning to you slow installation problem just a wild assed guess but ...

    Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
    enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
    Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
    protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
    files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
    this is the cause of your problem. Delete ONLY the 0 byte oem*.inf files.

    Why has this happened? One possibility it that you have Norton's System
    Doctor installed and forgot to disable System Doctor before updating your
    system from the Windows Update site. If you don't delete these files some
    software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very long time
    to complete if they complete at all.

    For more details see the Symantec site:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
    and also MS KB 281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
    Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281967). I would strongly recommend
    that you contact Microsoft and mention KB281967 and also KB301540 and ask
    for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will then either be sent
    the file or told how and where to download a copy. There should be no
    charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone call.

    Alternatively do yourself and your PC a big favour and dump System Doctor.
    :-)
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I do not know what it was or how it got there but (Problem Sloved). I
    > ran AdAware and Spybot 3 times each and a Total System virus scan 3
    > times.After each run, I warm re-booted.The problem remained until I
    > ran my Virus program the 3 rd time. My guess is a Trojan someway got
    > in and causing the problem or maybe a BHO but I don't know how.I
    > understand from reading about BHOs, they can do Just About Anything.
    > I did the msconfig thing as you suggested but there were no surprises.
    > Thank you very much for your time and follow-up helping me resolve
    > this issue. ***Now I need to determine why it takes over 30 minutes
    > to install a small xxx kb Security update from Microsoft Windows

    Thanks Mike for the compliment and suggestion about the 'slow' install. I
    will get back to you on this. Regards. Fred

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Fred,
    >
    > Well done, it helps to persevere in the way that you have and thanks for
    > the feedback letting us all know you've managed to fix the problem.
    >
    > Turning to you slow installation problem just a wild assed guess but ...
    >
    > Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
    > enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
    > Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
    > protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
    > files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
    > this is the cause of your problem. Delete ONLY the 0 byte oem*.inf files.
    >
    > Why has this happened? One possibility it that you have Norton's System
    > Doctor installed and forgot to disable System Doctor before updating your
    > system from the Windows Update site. If you don't delete these files some
    > software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very long time
    > to complete if they complete at all.
    >
    > For more details see the Symantec site:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
    > and also MS KB 281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
    > Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281967). I would strongly recommend
    > that you contact Microsoft and mention KB281967 and also KB301540 and ask
    > for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will then either be sent
    > the file or told how and where to download a copy. There should be no
    > charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone call.
    >
    > Alternatively do yourself and your PC a big favour and dump System Doctor.
    > :-)
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I do not know what it was or how it got there but (Problem Sloved). I
    > > ran AdAware and Spybot 3 times each and a Total System virus scan 3
    > > times.After each run, I warm re-booted.The problem remained until I
    > > ran my Virus program the 3 rd time. My guess is a Trojan someway got
    > > in and causing the problem or maybe a BHO but I don't know how.I
    > > understand from reading about BHOs, they can do Just About Anything.
    > > I did the msconfig thing as you suggested but there were no surprises.
    > > Thank you very much for your time and follow-up helping me resolve
    > > this issue. ***Now I need to determine why it takes over 30 minutes
    > > to install a small xxx kb Security update from Microsoft Windows

    Mike,
    Thank you for the suggestion of deleting all the oem*.inf files. Found more
    than 32K on the computer with 0 kb. All is working much faster now.Regards.
    Fred

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Fred,
    >
    > Well done, it helps to persevere in the way that you have and thanks for
    > the feedback letting us all know you've managed to fix the problem.
    >
    > Turning to you slow installation problem just a wild assed guess but ...
    >
    > Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
    > enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
    > Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
    > protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
    > files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
    > this is the cause of your problem. Delete ONLY the 0 byte oem*.inf files.
    >
    > Why has this happened? One possibility it that you have Norton's System
    > Doctor installed and forgot to disable System Doctor before updating your
    > system from the Windows Update site. If you don't delete these files some
    > software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very long time
    > to complete if they complete at all.
    >
    > For more details see the Symantec site:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
    > and also MS KB 281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
    > Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281967). I would strongly recommend
    > that you contact Microsoft and mention KB281967 and also KB301540 and ask
    > for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will then either be sent
    > the file or told how and where to download a copy. There should be no
    > charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone call.
    >
    > Alternatively do yourself and your PC a big favour and dump System Doctor.
    > :-)
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I do not know what it was or how it got there but (Problem Sloved). I
    > > ran AdAware and Spybot 3 times each and a Total System virus scan 3
    > > times.After each run, I warm re-booted.The problem remained until I
    > > ran my Virus program the 3 rd time. My guess is a Trojan someway got
    > > in and causing the problem or maybe a BHO but I don't know how.I
    > > understand from reading about BHOs, they can do Just About Anything.
    > > I did the msconfig thing as you suggested but there were no surprises.
    > > Thank you very much for your time and follow-up helping me resolve
    > > this issue. ***Now I need to determine why it takes over 30 minutes
    > > to install a small xxx kb Security update from Microsoft Windows

    Fred,

    Thanks so much for posting back and letting us know you've managed to
    solve your slow installation problem. The thousands of zero byte oem*.inf
    files would have seriously slowed if not actually prevented the
    installation of any application, driver or patch that used an INF file.
    Looks as if my WAG wasn't so wild after all.! <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Mike

    Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Mike,
    > Thank you for the suggestion of deleting all the oem*.inf files.
    > Found more than 32K on the computer with 0 kb. All is working much
    > faster now.Regards. Fred

Desktops Boot System Restore Windows