printer resetting default for networked computers

I resently installed a new hp officejet 7310 all-in-one printer on my
computer in our office. My computer is the server for the network, since
installing the new printer if I opt to share this printer which is why we
chose this model it resets the default printer on all of the computers within
the network. I have had a computer tech come and take a look and he can't
figure out what the problem is. I have also tried the hp help center with a
phone call and email back and forth. We run windows xp on all of our
computers so the help center thinks it is a proble with xp. I do not since I
was able to run the old model brother printer on the shared network with no
problems. I am not a computer genus but can do some tech stuff and with your
input hopefully can solve this problem. Thanks Connie

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I don't know this printer, so some (or all) of these questions may seem
strange.

You can get any printer to work with a network if you have it hooked to one
computer. My question, is this a network enabled printer? Should it be set
off just like one of your other computers.

What software drivers are you using for the printer, and are there any
settings in that to standardize the network and make itself the default.

Basically, I don't work in that type environment, but it does seem strange a
normal computer could change default settings on other computers. Are you
sure the users aren't doing it themselves?

Clark

"Connie" <Connie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I resently installed a new hp officejet 7310 all-in-one printer on my
> computer in our office. My computer is the server for the network, since
> installing the new printer if I opt to share this printer which is why we
> chose this model it resets the default printer on all of the computers
> within
> the network. I have had a computer tech come and take a look and he can't
> figure out what the problem is. I have also tried the hp help center with
> phone call and email back and forth. We run windows xp on all of our
> computers so the help center thinks it is a proble with xp. I do not since
> was able to run the old model brother printer on the shared network with
> no
> problems. I am not a computer genus but can do some tech stuff and with
> your
> input hopefully can solve this problem. Thanks Connie

TRENDING THREADS