Could use some imput on this one

Hi all...I have a poster with WinME with the following problem....hopefully,
someone can suggest some course of action for them at this point....

/ Original post by OP/

I recently downloaded IE 6.0 Service Pack 1 onto a Windows ME machine. When
the system went to reboot, part way through desktop loading, an error
message appeared - "Explorer has caused an error in module OLE32.DLL.
Explorer will
now close." Clicking on the "Close" button on the error message seems to
prompt Explorer to load again and produce the same message. Now I'm in an
infinite loop and I have no access to the desktop, including the Start
button. The only way I can get out of the situation is to power down the
computer. Is there some way to get into the system prior to desktop loading
and perhaps turn off Explorer log enough to uninstall and reinstall it (if
that would be the solution)?
/end/

I have provided the following for the OLE32.DLL:

Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
Click on the Windows Setup tab.
Double click on the Communications heading and make sure that
the Universal Plug and Play box is NOT checked

They responded with:
***********************************
Thanks for the response but what you're sugeestingg is what I can't do.
Because the desktop has not fully loaded when the message appears, I have no
desktop access, including the Start button so I have no way to get to
Control
Panel
*********************************
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

How about System Restore from the Safe Mode?? Me should have set a point
during the install.
Heirloom, old and clone backups are
cool

"Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> Hi all...I have a poster with WinME with the following
> problem....hopefully,
> someone can suggest some course of action for them at this point....
>
> / Original post by OP/
>
> I recently downloaded IE 6.0 Service Pack 1 onto a Windows ME machine.
> When
> the system went to reboot, part way through desktop loading, an error
> message appeared - "Explorer has caused an error in module OLE32.DLL.
> Explorer will
> now close." Clicking on the "Close" button on the error message seems to
> prompt Explorer to load again and produce the same message. Now I'm in an
> infinite loop and I have no access to the desktop, including the Start
> button. The only way I can get out of the situation is to power down the
> computer. Is there some way to get into the system prior to desktop
> and perhaps turn off Explorer log enough to uninstall and reinstall it (if
> that would be the solution)?
> /end/
>
> I have provided the following for the OLE32.DLL:
>
> Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
> Click on the Windows Setup tab.
> Double click on the Communications heading and make sure that
> the Universal Plug and Play box is NOT checked
>
> They responded with:
> ***********************************
> Thanks for the response but what you're sugeestingg is what I can't do.
> Because the desktop has not fully loaded when the message appears, I have
> no
> desktop access, including the Start button so I have no way to get to
> Control
> Panel
> *********************************
> Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
>
> Jan :)
> MS MVP - IE/OE
> Smiles are meant to be shared,
> that's why they're so contagious.

The IE6 install should have set its own restore point - it's worth a try.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> How about System Restore from the Safe Mode?? Me should have set a point
> during the install.
> Heirloom, old and clone backups are
> cool
>

> "Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all...I have a poster with WinME with the following
>> problem....hopefully,
>> someone can suggest some course of action for them at this point....
>>
>> / Original post by OP/
>>
>> I recently downloaded IE 6.0 Service Pack 1 onto a Windows ME machine.
>> When
>> the system went to reboot, part way through desktop loading, an error
>> message appeared - "Explorer has caused an error in module OLE32.DLL.
>> Explorer will
>> now close." Clicking on the "Close" button on the error message seems to
>> prompt Explorer to load again and produce the same message. Now I'm in
>> an
>> infinite loop and I have no access to the desktop, including the Start
>> button. The only way I can get out of the situation is to power down the
>> computer. Is there some way to get into the system prior to desktop
>> and perhaps turn off Explorer log enough to uninstall and reinstall it
>> (if
>> that would be the solution)?
>> /end/
>>
>> I have provided the following for the OLE32.DLL:
>>
>> Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
>> Click on the Windows Setup tab.
>> Double click on the Communications heading and make sure that
>> the Universal Plug and Play box is NOT checked
>>
>> They responded with:
>> ***********************************
>> Thanks for the response but what you're sugeestingg is what I can't do.
>> Because the desktop has not fully loaded when the message appears, I have
>> no
>> desktop access, including the Start button so I have no way to get to
>> Control
>> Panel
>> *********************************
>> Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
>>
>> Jan :)
>> MS MVP - IE/OE
>> Smiles are meant to be shared,
>> that's why they're so contagious.

Thanks Noel and HL...that is somewhat along the lines that I thought, but,
didn't want to step into it unless I was sure it might be a good direction.

You know my ME and I have not always seen sync to sync, so, I don't like to
advise others with their ME unless I check with the more learned first.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE

> The IE6 install should have set its own restore point - it's worth a try.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>> How about System Restore from the Safe Mode?? Me should have set a point
>> during the install.
>> Heirloom, old and clone backups
>> are cool
>>

>> "Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all...I have a poster with WinME with the following
>>> problem....hopefully,
>>> someone can suggest some course of action for them at this point....
>>>
>>> / Original post by OP/
>>>
>>> I recently downloaded IE 6.0 Service Pack 1 onto a Windows ME machine.
>>> When
>>> the system went to reboot, part way through desktop loading, an error
>>> message appeared - "Explorer has caused an error in module OLE32.DLL.
>>> Explorer will
>>> now close." Clicking on the "Close" button on the error message seems
>>> prompt Explorer to load again and produce the same message. Now I'm in
>>> an
>>> infinite loop and I have no access to the desktop, including the Start
>>> button. The only way I can get out of the situation is to power down
>>> the
>>> computer. Is there some way to get into the system prior to desktop
>>> and perhaps turn off Explorer log enough to uninstall and reinstall it
>>> (if
>>> that would be the solution)?
>>> /end/
>>>
>>> I have provided the following for the OLE32.DLL:
>>>
>>> Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
>>> Click on the Windows Setup tab.
>>> Double click on the Communications heading and make sure that
>>> the Universal Plug and Play box is NOT checked
>>>
>>> They responded with:
>>> ***********************************
>>> Thanks for the response but what you're sugeestingg is what I can't do.
>>> Because the desktop has not fully loaded when the message appears, I
>>> have no
>>> desktop access, including the Start button so I have no way to get to
>>> Control
>>> Panel
>>> *********************************
>>> Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jan :)
>>> MS MVP - IE/OE
>>> Smiles are meant to be shared,
>>> that's why they're so contagious.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> How about System Restore from the Safe Mode?? Me should have set a point
> during the install.
> Heirloom, old and clone backups are
> cool

Too true HL....and worth minute they take to do. I just can't help but
wonder, though, at what point I'm going to check and find I have a Dolly on
the other end. <g>

Jan :)

> "Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all...I have a poster with WinME with the following
>> problem....hopefully,
>> someone can suggest some course of action for them at this point....
>>
>> / Original post by OP/
>>
>> I recently downloaded IE 6.0 Service Pack 1 onto a Windows ME machine.
>> When
>> the system went to reboot, part way through desktop loading, an error
>> message appeared - "Explorer has caused an error in module OLE32.DLL.
>> Explorer will
>> now close." Clicking on the "Close" button on the error message seems to
>> prompt Explorer to load again and produce the same message. Now I'm in
>> an
>> infinite loop and I have no access to the desktop, including the Start
>> button. The only way I can get out of the situation is to power down the
>> computer. Is there some way to get into the system prior to desktop
>> and perhaps turn off Explorer log enough to uninstall and reinstall it
>> (if
>> that would be the solution)?
>> /end/
>>
>> I have provided the following for the OLE32.DLL:
>>
>> Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
>> Click on the Windows Setup tab.
>> Double click on the Communications heading and make sure that
>> the Universal Plug and Play box is NOT checked
>>
>> They responded with:
>> ***********************************
>> Thanks for the response but what you're sugeestingg is what I can't do.
>> Because the desktop has not fully loaded when the message appears, I have
>> no
>> desktop access, including the Start button so I have no way to get to
>> Control
>> Panel
>> *********************************
>> Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
>>
>> Jan :)
>> MS MVP - IE/OE
>> Smiles are meant to be shared,
>> that's why they're so contagious.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

Hi Noel..Mart :)

> The IE6 install should have set its own restore point - it's worth a try.

Here is what I told the OP based upon your previous replies...

"Jan Il" wrote:

> Hi Michael :)
>
> In conferring with the WinME guru's in the MS WinME general group, it was
> suggested that, as you are able to access through Safe Mode, you try do a
> System Restore. MVP Noel Paton said that the IE6 install should have set
> up its own restore point, so it would certainly be worth a try to do a
> System restore. If that will work, then you can at least regain control
> of your machine, and we can go from there. Let me know how you do on
> this.

And here is his reply:

>Thanks alot Jan - I'm not sure that will work because I'm not sure the
>desktop gets fully loaded in Safe Mode either before the message appears
>but I'll let you know tomorrow.

>Again, thanks alot for all your help.

Just to give you a heads up in case he is unable to get access from Safe
Mode. I'm also going to cross-post this now, as you folks may need so ask
the OP some direct questions and it may be easier, and more informative for
other readers, to have both sides at this point in the process.