Lost most of window xp

HI, 5 WEEKS AGO SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY WINDOWS XP. I COULDN`T GET BACK
ON AND HAD TO CHANGE PASSWORD TO USE WINDOWS XP. I HAVE BEEN USING IT SINCE.
ALL THE BOOKMARKS ARE THERE BUT EMPTY, ON THE START MENEU THERE ARE SOME
ITEAMS LEFT BUT EMPTY AND SOME MIROSOFT PROGRAMS, SUCH AS WORD AND EXCEL ARE
GONE AND ALL ACCESSORIES ARE EMPTY. ALL THE PHOTOS ARE GONE EXCEPT THE
FOLDERS WITH SMALL PHOTOS ARE STILL THERE.
IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO SHORT OF REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP(WOULD LIKE TO BE
ABLE BURN PHOTOS TO CD)? IS THERE SOME METHOD THAT I CAN USE THE OTHER
PROGRAMS?

LEE SCHROEDER

Lee Schroeder wrote:
> HI, 5 WEEKS AGO SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY WINDOWS XP. I COULDN`T
> GET BACK ON AND HAD TO CHANGE PASSWORD TO USE WINDOWS XP. I HAVE
> BEEN USING IT SINCE. ALL THE BOOKMARKS ARE THERE BUT EMPTY, ON THE
> START MENEU THERE ARE SOME ITEAMS LEFT BUT EMPTY AND SOME MIROSOFT
> PROGRAMS, SUCH AS WORD AND EXCEL ARE GONE AND ALL ACCESSORIES ARE
> EMPTY. ALL THE PHOTOS ARE GONE EXCEPT THE FOLDERS WITH SMALL PHOTOS
> ARE STILL THERE.
> IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO SHORT OF REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP(WOULD
> LIKE TO BE ABLE BURN PHOTOS TO CD)? IS THERE SOME METHOD THAT I CAN
> USE THE OTHER PROGRAMS?
>
> LEE
> SCHROEDER

Please lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes
your posts extremely hard to read.

Please post back, when you've read, and inwardly digested, the following: -

How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

How to Act Smart on Usenet

Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp

Otherwise, you might as well try here:

Psychic Friends Network
(800) 592-7827

lose his marbles?

Lee, please be patience for a moment while I rant for a moment..

"is incredibly rude"... You are by far the *rudest person* /ever/ to post in
these newsgroups! Again, why do you waste your time in here if you are not
going to provide assistance to individuals in need.

Sorry Lee, I am back now... Let's see, you had a problem with Windows and
had to change your password. It sounds like you are logging into windows
under a different user account. If you navigate to c:\documents and setting
folder you will see the accounts for that computer. See if your files are
stored in the My Documents folder of any of those accounts listed (if there
are any)

Let me know what you find,

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

> Lee Schroeder wrote:
> > HI, 5 WEEKS AGO SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY WINDOWS XP. I COULDN`T
> > GET BACK ON AND HAD TO CHANGE PASSWORD TO USE WINDOWS XP. I HAVE
> > BEEN USING IT SINCE. ALL THE BOOKMARKS ARE THERE BUT EMPTY, ON THE
> > START MENEU THERE ARE SOME ITEAMS LEFT BUT EMPTY AND SOME MIROSOFT
> > PROGRAMS, SUCH AS WORD AND EXCEL ARE GONE AND ALL ACCESSORIES ARE
> > EMPTY. ALL THE PHOTOS ARE GONE EXCEPT THE FOLDERS WITH SMALL PHOTOS
> > ARE STILL THERE.
> > IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO SHORT OF REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP(WOULD
> > LIKE TO BE ABLE BURN PHOTOS TO CD)? IS THERE SOME METHOD THAT I CAN
> > USE THE OTHER PROGRAMS?
> >
> > LEE
> > SCHROEDER
>

> Please lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and
makes
> your posts extremely hard to read.
>
> Please post back, when you've read, and inwardly digested, the
following: -

> How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> How to Act Smart on Usenet
>
> Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp
>
> Otherwise, you might as well try here:
>
> Psychic Friends Network
> (800) 592-7827
>
> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?

Michael,

You'll have to admit that it's better having "The Tick"
spend her time here, pleading for attention, than having
her roaming the parks molesting the statues.

Polly Anna

message
>> Lee Schroeder wrote:
>> > HI, 5 WEEKS AGO SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY WINDOWS
XP. I COULDN`T
>> > GET BACK ON AND HAD TO CHANGE PASSWORD TO USE
WINDOWS XP. I HAVE
>> > BEEN USING IT SINCE. ALL THE BOOKMARKS ARE THERE BUT
EMPTY, ON THE
>> > START MENEU THERE ARE SOME ITEAMS LEFT BUT EMPTY AND
SOME MIROSOFT
>> > PROGRAMS, SUCH AS WORD AND EXCEL ARE GONE AND ALL
ACCESSORIES ARE
>> > EMPTY. ALL THE PHOTOS ARE GONE EXCEPT THE FOLDERS
WITH SMALL PHOTOS
>> > ARE STILL THERE.
>> > IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO SHORT OF REINSTALLING
WINDOWS XP(WOULD
>> > LIKE TO BE ABLE BURN PHOTOS TO CD)? IS THERE SOME
METHOD THAT I CAN
>> > USE THE OTHER PROGRAMS?

LEE

Michael D. Alligood wrote:
> Lee, please be patience for a moment while I rant for a moment..
>
> "is incredibly rude"... You are by far the *rudest person* /ever/ to
> post in these newsgroups! Again, why do you waste your time in here
> if you are not going to provide assistance to individuals in need.

I am, am I..? And you're basing that on what, exactly? Suggest you use
Google Groups and search for "°°MS-Publisher°°" as the author. You'll find
I'm extremely polite by comparison... I'm only 'rude' to those who deserve
it. Butt-munchers and arse kissers like you for example...

You've never answered my question anyway. How can you see my posts when you
have me killfiled...?

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
>> Lee Schroeder wrote:
>>> HI, 5 WEEKS AGO SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY WINDOWS XP. I COULDN`T
>>> GET BACK ON AND HAD TO CHANGE PASSWORD TO USE WINDOWS XP. I HAVE
>>> BEEN USING IT SINCE. ALL THE BOOKMARKS ARE THERE BUT EMPTY, ON THE
>>> START MENEU THERE ARE SOME ITEAMS LEFT BUT EMPTY AND SOME MIROSOFT
>>> PROGRAMS, SUCH AS WORD AND EXCEL ARE GONE AND ALL ACCESSORIES ARE
>>> EMPTY. ALL THE PHOTOS ARE GONE EXCEPT THE FOLDERS WITH SMALL PHOTOS
>>> ARE STILL THERE.
>>> IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO SHORT OF REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP(WOULD
>>> LIKE TO BE ABLE BURN PHOTOS TO CD)? IS THERE SOME METHOD THAT I CAN
>>> USE THE OTHER PROGRAMS?
>>>
>>> LEE
>>> SCHROEDER
>>

>> Please lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude
>> and makes your posts extremely hard to read.
>>
>> Please post back, when you've read, and inwardly digested, the
> following: -
>>
>> How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> How to Act Smart on Usenet
>>
>> Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp
>>
>> Otherwise, you might as well try here:
>>
>> Psychic Friends Network
>> (800) 592-7827
>>
>> --
>> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
>> lose his marbles?

lose his marbles?

Funny, I just googled "author:°°MS-Publisher°° ". I looked at his/her 50
most recent posts, and it seems like this person just doesn't like people
who post wrong information, George W. Bush and *you* (and someone named
JoAnn). It seems like your the rude one in those posts, and this person
actually tries to help people in a polite manner, or at all.

Some posts are shaky, but he/she seems like a saint compared to you.

--
Paul Cyr

-----

The Debate Continues... www.xvsxp.com

Protect Yourself and Others in 6 Simple Steps...
http://davechalkconnected.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1802
-----

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 02:20:46 -0400, PCyr. wrote:

> Funny, I just googled "author:°°MS-Publisher°° ". I looked at his/her 50
> most recent posts, and it seems like this person just doesn't like people
> who post wrong information, George W. Bush and *you* (and someone named
> JoAnn). It seems like your the rude one in those posts, and this person
> actually tries to help people in a polite manner, or at all.
>
> Some posts are shaky, but he/she seems like a saint compared to you.

hmmm! sounds like someone killed your registry start menu
items and related shortcuts. Provided that theure still on
the drive, in your Program Files folder, you can manually
restore shortcuts. If however the "software" keys were
tampered with then you you must reinstall windows. If you
need to do the latter, then after all is done, open registry
editor and export a backup from the top section. Save this
on CD, if possible.
--
Lester Stiefel
In 2 Timothy 3:1-7, there is a list of the qualities that

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:35:01 -0700, Lee Schroeder wrote:

> HI, 5 WEEKS AGO SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY WINDOWS XP. I COULDN`T GET BACK
> ON AND HAD TO CHANGE PASSWORD TO USE WINDOWS XP. I HAVE BEEN USING IT SINCE.
> ALL THE BOOKMARKS ARE THERE BUT EMPTY, ON THE START MENEU THERE ARE SOME
> ITEAMS LEFT BUT EMPTY AND SOME MIROSOFT PROGRAMS, SUCH AS WORD AND EXCEL ARE
> GONE AND ALL ACCESSORIES ARE EMPTY. ALL THE PHOTOS ARE GONE EXCEPT THE
> FOLDERS WITH SMALL PHOTOS ARE STILL THERE.
> IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO SHORT OF REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP(WOULD LIKE TO BE
> ABLE BURN PHOTOS TO CD)? IS THERE SOME METHOD THAT I CAN USE THE OTHER
> PROGRAMS?
>
> LEE SCHROEDER

Did you change to a new password or change to a new account? Did you
protect these files with EFS or simply used NTFS to protect them?

If you changed to a new account, disk is formatted with NTFS and did *not*
use EFS, XP is still protecting the old data files for your old user
account. Take ownership of the files to regain access to them:

Any start menu shortcuts that were in your old start menu folders, can be
copied over to the start menu folders for your new account. The folders you
need to look at are :
Documents and Settings\<old account>\Start Menu
Documents and Settings\<new account>\Start menu

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

I'll assume your talking to the OP ;-)