Problem with file sharing

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2005 11:22:16 PM

I've got 3 pc's on a home network using a Linksys wireless AP/router - all
running Win XP SP2. One PC is wired to the router, the other two use
Linksys wireless access cards. All pc's are on a workgroup. I've set up
shares on both the C: and D: drives [two physically different drives] on the
pc that is wired to the router.

From 1 pc [my thinkpad] I can access, copy, open files on both drives on the
pc that is wired to the router.
From the other wirelessly connected pc, I can access, copy, open files from
the second hard drive but not from the primary, system drive.

Any idea what could be keeping me from accessing, copying, opening files on
the C: drive from the 'other' pc?

Thanks

More about : problem file sharing

March 12, 2005 11:22:17 PM

firewall

"fj" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got 3 pc's on a home network using a Linksys wireless AP/router - all
> running Win XP SP2. One PC is wired to the router, the other two use
> Linksys wireless access cards. All pc's are on a workgroup. I've set up
> shares on both the C: and D: drives [two physically different drives] on
the
> pc that is wired to the router.
>
> From 1 pc [my thinkpad] I can access, copy, open files on both drives on
the
> pc that is wired to the router.
> From the other wirelessly connected pc, I can access, copy, open files
from
> the second hard drive but not from the primary, system drive.
>
> Any idea what could be keeping me from accessing, copying, opening files
on
> the C: drive from the 'other' pc?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2005 12:38:20 AM

I've got Windows firewall turned off. Running ZA Pro, but why would it
permit access to the second hard drive and not the first? And, allow access
to both drives from one pc?

In any case, turning off ZA didn't do it.
"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> firewall
>
> "fj" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've got 3 pc's on a home network using a Linksys wireless AP/router -
>> all
>> running Win XP SP2. One PC is wired to the router, the other two use
>> Linksys wireless access cards. All pc's are on a workgroup. I've set up
>> shares on both the C: and D: drives [two physically different drives] on
> the
>> pc that is wired to the router.
>>
>> From 1 pc [my thinkpad] I can access, copy, open files on both drives on
> the
>> pc that is wired to the router.
>> From the other wirelessly connected pc, I can access, copy, open files
> from
>> the second hard drive but not from the primary, system drive.
>>
>> Any idea what could be keeping me from accessing, copying, opening files
> on
>> the C: drive from the 'other' pc?
>>
>> Thanks

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2005 1:17:36 AM

> I've got 3 pc's on a home network using a Linksys wireless AP/router - all
> running Win XP SP2. One PC is wired to the router, the other two use
> Linksys wireless access cards. All pc's are on a workgroup. I've set up
> shares on both the C: and D: drives [two physically different drives] on the
> pc that is wired to the router.
>
> From 1 pc [my thinkpad] I can access, copy, open files on both drives on the
> pc that is wired to the router.
> From the other wirelessly connected pc, I can access, copy, open files from
> the second hard drive but not from the primary, system drive.
>
> Any idea what could be keeping me from accessing, copying, opening files on
> the C: drive from the 'other' pc?
>
> Thanks

I'm not sure but here's something you can try. On small networks like
that, XP shuld auto-add shared directories to the "network places"
folder. However, it's possible to manually add a network place and
choose its path. Maybe you can try doing that, and see if it will let
you add the C drive to the problematic computer.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2005 7:17:29 AM

fj wrote:

> I've got 3 pc's on a home network using a Linksys wireless AP/router - all
> running Win XP SP2. One PC is wired to the router, the other two use
> Linksys wireless access cards. All pc's are on a workgroup. I've set up
> shares on both the C: and D: drives [two physically different drives] on the
> pc that is wired to the router.
>
> From 1 pc [my thinkpad] I can access, copy, open files on both drives on the
> pc that is wired to the router.
> From the other wirelessly connected pc, I can access, copy, open files from
> the second hard drive but not from the primary, system drive.
>
> Any idea what could be keeping me from accessing, copying, opening files on
> the C: drive from the 'other' pc?
>
> Thanks

What are your user names and group assignments on the three systems and
what permissions are set on the C: drive share?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2005 10:50:40 AM

Have you made sure that you have enabled Netbios over TCP/IP,?
March 13, 2005 12:37:30 PM

>>"fj" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've got 3 pc's on a home network using a Linksys wireless AP/router -
>>>all
>>>running Win XP SP2. One PC is wired to the router, the other two use
>>>Linksys wireless access cards. All pc's are on a workgroup. I've set up
>>>shares on both the C: and D: drives [two physically different drives] on
>>
>>the
>>
>>>pc that is wired to the router.
>>>
>>>From 1 pc [my thinkpad] I can access, copy, open files on both drives on
>>
>>the
>>
>>>pc that is wired to the router.
>>>From the other wirelessly connected pc, I can access, copy, open files
>>
>>from
>>
>>>the second hard drive but not from the primary, system drive.
>>>
>>>Any idea what could be keeping me from accessing, copying, opening files
>>
>>on
>>
>>>the C: drive from the 'other' pc?
>>>
>>>Thanks

I have almost the same setup and the same problem. I have Windows XP
hardwired, and a wireless Windows ME using a Linksys router that can
access files on my D: drive but not my C: drive.

I am running the free Zonealarm, but have tried turning it off and the
problem remains. From the Windows ME side I get a "Access denied. The
file may be in use." message.

On my XP system I am running without a logon ID. So what are the special
steps required to make XP share its boot drive?

Roger
March 13, 2005 12:44:05 PM

I should have added that I can see the shared folders and filenames on
the XP C: drive from W/ME but attempts to copy folders result in the
folders coming across, but I get the error message on the files.

Roger
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2005 7:55:15 PM

Roger wrote:

>>> "fj" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> the

>>> the

>>> from

>>> on

> I have almost the same setup and the same problem. I have Windows XP
> hardwired, and a wireless Windows ME using a Linksys router that can
> access files on my D: drive but not my C: drive.
>
> I am running the free Zonealarm, but have tried turning it off and the
> problem remains. From the Windows ME side I get a "Access denied. The
> file may be in use." message.
>
> On my XP system I am running without a logon ID. So what are the special
> steps required to make XP share its boot drive?

It *is* sharing the drive, which is why you see it listed as a share, but
your non existent on the XP system ME account is an unknown alien to XP and
XP won't let unknown aliens access NTFS user security level shares.

> Roger
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2005 4:24:02 AM

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> fj wrote:
>
>> I've got 3 pc's on a home network using a Linksys wireless AP/router -
>> all
>> running Win XP SP2. One PC is wired to the router, the other two use
>> Linksys wireless access cards. All pc's are on a workgroup. I've set up
>> shares on both the C: and D: drives [two physically different drives] on
>> the
>> pc that is wired to the router.
>>
>> From 1 pc [my thinkpad] I can access, copy, open files on both drives on
>> the
>> pc that is wired to the router.
>> From the other wirelessly connected pc, I can access, copy, open files
>> from
>> the second hard drive but not from the primary, system drive.
>>
>> Any idea what could be keeping me from accessing, copying, opening files
>> on
>> the C: drive from the 'other' pc?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> What are your user names and group assignments on the three systems and
> what permissions are set on the C: drive share?
User names: momma [on the pc that i'm having trouble with], Administrator
[shows as Administrator, but has been renamed to fj - I log on as fj], and
fj [on the one that's hard wired to the router]
Group assignments - not sure what this is.
Permissions on the C: drive on the system that's hardwired - they are the
default set by the system. The default share is C$. Clicking on
Permissions give a message "This has been shared for administrative
purposes. The permissions cannot be set." However, I have set up a share
for a folder on C: [which is the folder I'm having trouble with].
Permissions for this folder [$User] is Everyone - full control, change,
read.

Please let me know what Group Assignments is - I'll fill that in.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2005 3:45:24 PM

fj wrote:
> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>fj wrote:
>>

>>>I've got 3 pc's on a home network using a Linksys wireless AP/router -
>>>all
>>>running Win XP SP2. One PC is wired to the router, the other two use
>>>Linksys wireless access cards. All pc's are on a workgroup. I've set up
>>>shares on both the C: and D: drives [two physically different drives] on
>>>the
>>>pc that is wired to the router.
>>>
>>>From 1 pc [my thinkpad] I can access, copy, open files on both drives on
>>>the
>>>pc that is wired to the router.
>>>From the other wirelessly connected pc, I can access, copy, open files
>>>from
>>>the second hard drive but not from the primary, system drive.
>>>
>>>Any idea what could be keeping me from accessing, copying, opening files
>>>on
>>>the C: drive from the 'other' pc?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>What are your user names and group assignments on the three systems and
>>what permissions are set on the C: drive share?
>
> User names: momma [on the pc that i'm having trouble with], Administrator
> [shows as Administrator, but has been renamed to fj - I log on as fj], and
> fj [on the one that's hard wired to the router]
> Group assignments - not sure what this is.

Group is what, well, group the user is assigned to. An Administrator is in
the administrator's group. A plain user is in the users group. A power user
is in the power users group. It's the group that assigns the scope of a
user's access rights. A user can be a member of multiple groups.

It makes organizational sense. Rather than manually assign a gaggle of
rights for each user you assign rights to a "group" and then you just
assign the user account to it. Viola, everything is set. Windows sets up a
number of default groups (admin, user, power user, etc.) but a company, for
example, would set up groups that match their organizational structure,
like what folks in the sales group can do vs what the engineering folks can
do vs what the manufacturing folks can do, etc. (and the departments could
be sub grouped as well) They'd use a Domain so it was assigned company wide
from the domain controller when the user logs on (to the domain).

In your case, with no domain, the users are all local to the computer, or a
"guest." "Guest" should be a member of "everyone" but is also a group (as
well as user account) and has it's own rights setting.

> Permissions on the C: drive on the system that's hardwired - they are the
> default set by the system. The default share is C$. Clicking on
> Permissions give a message "This has been shared for administrative
> purposes. The permissions cannot be set."

Right. Hidden default share. It doesn't show in the normal network list.

> However, I have set up a share
> for a folder on C: [which is the folder I'm having trouble with].
> Permissions for this folder [$User] is Everyone - full control, change,
> read.

Are you using XP Home or Professional?

Professional allows user sharing but Home uses the guest account for all
network access. I'll guess you're using home, so, for Home:

The Guest account should have no password. If you are not sure whether this
has mistakenly been changed, you can remove any password from the Guest
account with the following procedure.

Start
Run...
Type: control userpasswords2
OK
Click once on: Guest
Click on: Reset Password
Do not enter any password, leave the two fields empty.
Click on: OK

For network access the Guest account has to be enabled on Windows XP and
network login for the Guest account has to be permitted in Computer
Management, Local Users and Groups.

A quick way to enable Guest network access is to type the following command
at a command prompt: net user guest /active:yes

You also didn't mention what you're trying to share and, on an NTFS
partition, Windows XP Home does not allow sharing:

User folders directly in Documents and Settings
Program Files
The main Windows folder

It is possible, however, to share subfolders within those folders.

Considering your symptom, but not knowing what folder you're trying to
share, that one sounds like a good wild stab in the dark: That you're
trying to share something XP Home doesn't allow.

If you're using XP Pro, setup a "momma" user account (admin, user, power
user, etc. depending on what access rights you want) on the XP machine so
it's known and a member of "everyone."

> Please let me know what Group Assignments is - I'll fill that in.

It may or may not be useful for you to try and create special groups.

> Thanks

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2005 5:16:02 AM

> fj wrote:
>> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

>>>What are your user names and group assignments on the three systems and
>>>what permissions are set on the C: drive share?
>>
>> User names: momma [on the pc that i'm having trouble with],
>> Administrator [shows as Administrator, but has been renamed to fj - I log
>> on as fj], and fj [on the one that's hard wired to the router]
>> Group assignments - not sure what this is.
>
> Group is what, well, group the user is assigned to. An Administrator is in
> the administrator's group. A plain user is in the users group. A power
> user is in the power users group. It's the group that assigns the scope of
> a user's access rights. A user can be a member of multiple groups.
>
> It makes organizational sense. Rather than manually assign a gaggle of
> rights for each user you assign rights to a "group" and then you just
> assign the user account to it. Viola, everything is set. Windows sets up a
> number of default groups (admin, user, power user, etc.) but a company,
> for example, would set up groups that match their organizational
> structure, like what folks in the sales group can do vs what the
> engineering folks can do vs what the manufacturing folks can do, etc. (and
> the departments could be sub grouped as well) They'd use a Domain so it
> was assigned company wide from the domain controller when the user logs on
> (to the domain).

Ah, got it. Everyone is in the Administrator group.

> In your case, with no domain, the users are all local to the computer, or
> a "guest." "Guest" should be a member of "everyone" but is also a group
> (as well as user account) and has it's own rights setting.
>
>> Permissions on the C: drive on the system that's hardwired - they are the
>> default set by the system. The default share is C$. Clicking on
>> Permissions give a message "This has been shared for administrative
>> purposes. The permissions cannot be set."
>
> Right. Hidden default share. It doesn't show in the normal network list.
>
>> However, I have set up a share for a folder on C: [which is the folder
>> I'm having trouble with]. Permissions for this folder [$User] is
>> Everyone - full control, change, read.
>
> Are you using XP Home or Professional?

XP Professional.

> Professional allows user sharing but Home uses the guest account for all
> network access. I'll guess you're using home, so, for Home:
>
> The Guest account should have no password. If you are not sure whether
> this has mistakenly been changed, you can remove any password from the
> Guest account with the following procedure.
>
> Start
> Run...
> Type: control userpasswords2
> OK
> Click once on: Guest
> Click on: Reset Password
> Do not enter any password, leave the two fields empty.
> Click on: OK
>
> For network access the Guest account has to be enabled on Windows XP and
> network login for the Guest account has to be permitted in Computer
> Management, Local Users and Groups.
>
> A quick way to enable Guest network access is to type the following
> command at a command prompt: net user guest /active:yes
>
> You also didn't mention what you're trying to share and, on an NTFS
> partition, Windows XP Home does not allow sharing:
>
> User folders directly in Documents and Settings
> Program Files
> The main Windows folder
>
> It is possible, however, to share subfolders within those folders.
>
> Considering your symptom, but not knowing what folder you're trying to
> share, that one sounds like a good wild stab in the dark: That you're
> trying to share something XP Home doesn't allow.
>
> If you're using XP Pro, setup a "momma" user account (admin, user, power
> user, etc. depending on what access rights you want) on the XP machine so

I'm on it. I'll post the results.

Thanks!
> it's known and a member of "everyone."
>
>> Please let me know what Group Assignments is - I'll fill that in.
>
> It may or may not be useful for you to try and create special groups.
>

>> Thanks

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2005 5:34:54 AM

> [...]
>> network login for the Guest account has to be permitted in Computer
>> Management, Local Users and Groups.
>>
>> A quick way to enable Guest network access is to type the following
>> command at a command prompt: net user guest /active:yes
>>
>> You also didn't mention what you're trying to share and, on an NTFS
>> partition, Windows XP Home does not allow sharing:
>>
>> User folders directly in Documents and Settings
>> Program Files
>> The main Windows folder
>>
>> It is possible, however, to share subfolders within those folders.
>>
>> Considering your symptom, but not knowing what folder you're trying to
>> share, that one sounds like a good wild stab in the dark: That you're
>> trying to share something XP Home doesn't allow.
>>
>> If you're using XP Pro, setup a "momma" user account (admin, user, power
>> user, etc. depending on what access rights you want) on the XP machine so

When I set up an account, I'm only given two choices - Administrator and
Limited. "momma" has been set up as an Administrator - how do is it added
to 'everyone'? "everyone" seems to be a type of account, like
Administrator.

> Thanks!
>> it's known and a member of "everyone."
>>
>>> Please let me know what Group Assignments is - I'll fill that in.
>>
>> It may or may not be useful for you to try and create special groups.
>>

>>> Thanks

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2005 5:34:55 AM

fj wrote:
> [...]
>>>partition, Windows XP Home does not allow sharing:
>>>
>>>User folders directly in Documents and Settings
>>>Program Files
>>>The main Windows folder
>>>
>>>It is possible, however, to share subfolders within those folders.
>>>
>>>Considering your symptom, but not knowing what folder you're trying to
>>>share, that one sounds like a good wild stab in the dark: That you're
>>>trying to share something XP Home doesn't allow.
>>>
>>>If you're using XP Pro, setup a "momma" user account (admin, user, power
>>>user, etc. depending on what access rights you want) on the XP machine so
>>
>>I'm on it. I'll post the results.
>

> When I set up an account, I'm only given two choices - Administrator and
> Limited. "momma" has been set up as an Administrator - how do is it added
> to 'everyone'? "everyone" seems to be a type of account, like

I'm having to go by memory as all mine are on domains but it sounds like
maybe you've got simple file sharing enabled instead of user level because
there should be "standard user (power user)" and "restricted user (users
group) in addition to administrators.

At any rate, try this link
http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/...

It's for a university network but they're telling folks how to set up file
sharing outside the domain, if there is one, so it should fit your bill.

As for "everyone," that's a group and all users are a member.

They have you remove "everyone," to improve security, and add each specific
user you want to allow for a share but it strikes me as overkill in your
case.

>>Thanks!
>>
>>>it's known and a member of "everyone."

>>>It may or may not be useful for you to try and create special groups.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2005 4:47:44 PM

> fj wrote:
>> "fj" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

>>>Ah, got it. Everyone is in the Administrator group.

>>>XP Professional.

>>>I'm on it. I'll post the results.
>>

>> When I set up an account, I'm only given two choices - Administrator and
>> Limited. "momma" has been set up as an Administrator - how do is it
>> added to 'everyone'? "everyone" seems to be a type of account, like
>> Administrator.
>
> I'm having to go by memory as all mine are on domains but it sounds like
> maybe you've got simple file sharing enabled instead of user level because
> there should be "standard user (power user)" and "restricted user (users
> group) in addition to administrators.
>
> At any rate, try this link
> http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/...
>
> It's for a university network but they're telling folks how to set up file
> sharing outside the domain, if there is one, so it should fit your bill.
>
> As for "everyone," that's a group and all users are a member.
>
> They have you remove "everyone," to improve security, and add each
> specific user you want to allow for a share but it strikes me as overkill
> in your case.

Thanks. Nice, clear instructions.

But, now I'm worried about why there's only choices for Administrator and
Limited user accounts. Simple file sharing is NOT enabled - i.e., "Use
Simple File Sharing" is not checked under Tools, Folder Options, View. Any
idea of what this is all about?

The install CD is an OEM version of Windows XP Pro.

>>>Thanks!

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2005 4:47:45 PM

fj wrote:

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>fj wrote:
>>
>>>"fj" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>When I set up an account, I'm only given two choices - Administrator and
>>>Limited. "momma" has been set up as an Administrator - how do is it
>>>added to 'everyone'? "everyone" seems to be a type of account, like
>>>Administrator.
>>
>>I'm having to go by memory as all mine are on domains but it sounds like
>>maybe you've got simple file sharing enabled instead of user level because
>>there should be "standard user (power user)" and "restricted user (users
>>group) in addition to administrators.
>>
>>At any rate, try this link
>>http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/...
>>
>>It's for a university network but they're telling folks how to set up file
>>sharing outside the domain, if there is one, so it should fit your bill.
>>
>>As for "everyone," that's a group and all users are a member.
>>
>>They have you remove "everyone," to improve security, and add each
>>specific user you want to allow for a share but it strikes me as overkill
>>in your case.
>>

> Thanks. Nice, clear instructions.
>
> But, now I'm worried about why there's only choices for Administrator and
> Limited user accounts. Simple file sharing is NOT enabled - i.e., "Use
> Simple File Sharing" is not checked under Tools, Folder Options, View. Any
> idea of what this is all about?
>
> The install CD is an OEM version of Windows XP Pro.

Seems I do remember something about that being default when not on a
domain. Try this

Right click on My Computer
Manage
Local Users and Groups
Users
Right click on the user you want to change
Properties
Member of tab
Add button
Advanced button