Can't start ME

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 13, 2005 2:58:02 PM

I can't start ME - the Active Recovery desktop comes up briefly and then it
goes to a blue screen with the error:
File Name VMM(12) + 00004C3C
Error: 0E:0028:C0283C3C
I can bring it up briefly in safe mode before getting the above error.
Options are ctl-alt-del to reboot or enter to return to windows - but
nothing resolves the problem
Most recent change was installing a USB 2.0 PCI card.

More about : start

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:25:05 PM

Boghie <Boghie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can't start ME - the Active Recovery desktop comes up briefly and then it
>goes to a blue screen with the error:
>File Name VMM(12) + 00004C3C
>Error: 0E:0028:C0283C3C
>I can bring it up briefly in safe mode before getting the above error.
>Options are ctl-alt-del to reboot or enter to return to windows - but
>nothing resolves the problem
>Most recent change was installing a USB 2.0 PCI card.

How long since you installed the USB card?

Try removing it and see if the that resolves the problem.

If it does then before reinstalling the USB card check with the
manufacturer's web site for updated drivers for the card. Also
consider trying the card in a different PCI slot.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:25:06 PM

I installed the USB card about 2 weeks ago but this problem started a few
days ago.
I'll try removing the card - I don't have another PCI slot available.

I had a similar problem several months ago, and it was resolved by removing
unnecessary programs in the startup thru msconfig - but this doesn't seem to
be the problem this time.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Boghie <Boghie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I can't start ME - the Active Recovery desktop comes up briefly and then it
> >goes to a blue screen with the error:
> >File Name VMM(12) + 00004C3C
> >Error: 0E:0028:C0283C3C
> >I can bring it up briefly in safe mode before getting the above error.
> >Options are ctl-alt-del to reboot or enter to return to windows - but
> >nothing resolves the problem
> >Most recent change was installing a USB 2.0 PCI card.
>
> How long since you installed the USB card?
>
> Try removing it and see if the that resolves the problem.
>
> If it does then before reinstalling the USB card check with the
> manufacturer's web site for updated drivers for the card. Also
> consider trying the card in a different PCI slot.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

July 14, 2005 1:47:45 AM

Do you have a System Restore point to a time just before the trouble
started? Might be worth a shot and it is completely reversible, if not.
Heirloom, old and ate too many
cookies

"Boghie" <Boghie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed the USB card about 2 weeks ago but this problem started a few
> days ago.
> I'll try removing the card - I don't have another PCI slot available.
>
> I had a similar problem several months ago, and it was resolved by
> removing
> unnecessary programs in the startup thru msconfig - but this doesn't seem
> be the problem this time.
>

> "Ron Martell" wrote:
>
>> Boghie <Boghie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I can't start ME - the Active Recovery desktop comes up briefly and
>> >then it
>> >goes to a blue screen with the error:
>> >File Name VMM(12) + 00004C3C
>> >Error: 0E:0028:C0283C3C
>> >I can bring it up briefly in safe mode before getting the above error.
>> >Options are ctl-alt-del to reboot or enter to return to windows - but
>> >nothing resolves the problem
>> >Most recent change was installing a USB 2.0 PCI card.
>>
>> How long since you installed the USB card?
>>
>> Try removing it and see if the that resolves the problem.
>>
>> If it does then before reinstalling the USB card check with the
>> manufacturer's web site for updated drivers for the card. Also
>> consider trying the card in a different PCI slot.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:37:02 AM

Removing the USB card didn't work. Can I boot to the ME reinstall CD or do a
system restore? I'd like to save some files before reinstalling ME.

"Boghie" wrote:

> I installed the USB card about 2 weeks ago but this problem started a few
> days ago.
> I'll try removing the card - I don't have another PCI slot available.
>
> I had a similar problem several months ago, and it was resolved by removing
> unnecessary programs in the startup thru msconfig - but this doesn't seem to
> be the problem this time.
>

> "Ron Martell" wrote:
>
> > Boghie <Boghie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I can't start ME - the Active Recovery desktop comes up briefly and then it
> > >goes to a blue screen with the error:
> > >File Name VMM(12) + 00004C3C
> > >Error: 0E:0028:C0283C3C
> > >I can bring it up briefly in safe mode before getting the above error.
> > >Options are ctl-alt-del to reboot or enter to return to windows - but
> > >nothing resolves the problem
> > >Most recent change was installing a USB 2.0 PCI card.
> >
> > How long since you installed the USB card?
> >
> > Try removing it and see if the that resolves the problem.
> >
> > If it does then before reinstalling the USB card check with the
> > manufacturer's web site for updated drivers for the card. Also
> > consider trying the card in a different PCI slot.
> >
> > Good luck
> >

> > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> > --
> > Microsoft MVP
> > On-Line Help Computer Service
> > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >
> > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:33:55 PM

If System Restore will function, you should lose no data. Any program
installed since the restore point date would have to be reinstalled and, if
you are using Norton (shudder) AV, you may have to reinstall it if you have
updated virus defs since the restore point. When you say Me reinstall CD,
are you referring to a Recovery CD that came with your machine??? If so,
these will put your machine back to the state when you bought it. Anything
you have added since that time will be lost....this, for me anyway, would be
a last resort.
Heirloom, old and need a
resort...with hot and cold running maids

> Removing the USB card didn't work. Can I boot to the ME reinstall CD or
> do a
> system restore? I'd like to save some files before reinstalling ME.
>
> "Boghie" wrote:
>
>> I installed the USB card about 2 weeks ago but this problem started a few
>> days ago.
>> I'll try removing the card - I don't have another PCI slot available.
>>
>> I had a similar problem several months ago, and it was resolved by
>> removing
>> unnecessary programs in the startup thru msconfig - but this doesn't seem
>> be the problem this time.

>> > How long since you installed the USB card?
>> >
>> > Try removing it and see if the that resolves the problem.
>> >
>> > If it does then before reinstalling the USB card check with the
>> > manufacturer's web site for updated drivers for the card. Also
>> > consider trying the card in a different PCI slot.
>> >
>> > Good luck
>> >

>> > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> > --
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > On-Line Help Computer Service
>> > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>> >
>> > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:28:45 AM

<lol> You should be so lucky <g>
Joan

Heirloom wrote:
> Heirloom, old and need a
> resort...with hot and cold running maids

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:28:46 AM

'Twould be like a dog chasing a car...........even if he caught it, he
couldn't drive.
Heirloom, old and still driving

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> <lol> You should be so lucky <g>
> Joan
>

> Heirloom wrote:
>> Heirloom, old and need a
>> resort...with hot and cold running maids

July 15, 2005 2:14:37 AM

Presumably the cold ones are frauleins. Or is that brau steins?

Shane

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> <lol> You should be so lucky <g>
> Joan
>

> Heirloom wrote:
>> Heirloom, old and need a
>> resort...with hot and cold running maids

July 15, 2005 2:18:25 AM

Cor, luvvaduck! Gor' bless yer Guvnor! This ol' 10x Tesco BB is even faster
than Berlin Uni was!

Shane

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Presumably the cold ones are frauleins. Or is that brau steins?
>

> Shane
>

> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> <lol> You should be so lucky <g>
>> Joan
>>

>> Heirloom wrote:
>>> Heirloom, old and need a
>>> resort...with hot and cold running maids

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:18:26 AM

What the.........?????
Heirloom, old and only half limey

> Cor, luvvaduck! Gor' bless yer Guvnor! This ol' 10x Tesco BB is even
> faster than Berlin Uni was!
>
> Shane
>

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Presumably the cold ones are frauleins. Or is that brau steins?
>>

>> Shane
>>

>> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> <lol> You should be so lucky <g>
>>> Joan

July 15, 2005 7:34:44 AM

Not sure what in particular you want explaining, H. 'Luvvaduck' is an old
expression, one would suppose of London origin, that has always - in my
lifetime - been a family-friendly one. Yet I can't help but imagine the
family in question would necessarily be half man, half water fowl.

Gor' bless yer, Guvnor! is what the pantomime cockney says as he strikes a
light on your chin. Or you on his.

Otherwise, I'm pleased at how fast posts are up/down-loaded using my ISP as
compared to going to the Microsoft cow. Berlin Uni (news.indiviual.net,
which until recently was free) doesn't really bear on the matter, rather
that's where I was posting via when I first found how very much faster the
ms newsgroups are if you don't go via msnews.microsoft.com. Yet I'd have
thought going via a 3rd party'd introduce two extra steps.

Shane

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> What the.........?????
> Heirloom, old and only half limey
>
> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Cor, luvvaduck! Gor' bless yer Guvnor! This ol' 10x Tesco BB is even
>> faster than Berlin Uni was!
>>
>> Shane
>>

>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Presumably the cold ones are frauleins. Or is that brau steins?
>>>

>>> Shane
>>>

>>> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

July 15, 2005 7:39:06 AM

Case in point, my previous reply appeared on the group and in my reader
before I could toggle the preview pane back off. Ie, I toggle it on to read
your post, hit reply, type my response, hit send and before I can toggle the
pane off again, there's my post, online. Subscribing direct it would take a
minute or two to appear.

news:o 9GBe.3233$BN5.2318@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...
> Not sure what in particular you want explaining, H. 'Luvvaduck' is an old
> expression, one would suppose of London origin, that has always - in my
> lifetime - been a family-friendly one. Yet I can't help but imagine the
> family in question would necessarily be half man, half water fowl.
>
> Gor' bless yer, Guvnor! is what the pantomime cockney says as he strikes a
> light on your chin. Or you on his.
>
> Otherwise, I'm pleased at how fast posts are up/down-loaded using my ISP
> as compared to going to the Microsoft cow. Berlin Uni (news.indiviual.net,
> which until recently was free) doesn't really bear on the matter, rather
> that's where I was posting via when I first found how very much faster the
> ms newsgroups are if you don't go via msnews.microsoft.com. Yet I'd have
> thought going via a 3rd party'd introduce two extra steps.
>

> Shane
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>> What the.........?????
>> Heirloom, old and only half limey
>>
>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Cor, luvvaduck! Gor' bless yer Guvnor! This ol' 10x Tesco BB is even
>>> faster than Berlin Uni was!
>>>
>>> Shane
>>>

>>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:05:07 PM

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Case in point, my previous reply appeared on the group and in my
> reader before I could toggle the preview pane back off. Ie, I toggle
> it on to read your post, hit reply, type my response, hit send and
> before I can toggle the pane off again, there's my post, online.
> Subscribing direct it would take a minute or two to appear.

And of course because you are posting via your ISP's (or rather NTL's)
news server it now takes even longer to appear on the MS cluster than if
posted there directly as well as taking its chances on arriving there at
all. Likewise its very much of a gamble as to how many of the posts made
to the MS news cluster make it to NTL's server.
--
Mike
July 15, 2005 2:44:23 PM

> Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Case in point, my previous reply appeared on the group and in my
>> reader before I could toggle the preview pane back off. Ie, I toggle
>> it on to read your post, hit reply, type my response, hit send and
>> before I can toggle the pane off again, there's my post, online.
>> Subscribing direct it would take a minute or two to appear.
>
> And of course because you are posting via your ISP's (or rather NTL's)
> news server it now takes even longer to appear on the MS cluster than if
> posted there directly as well as taking its chances on arriving there at
> all. Likewise its very much of a gamble as to how many of the posts made
> to the MS news cluster make it to NTL's server.

Unless I misunderstand you, Mike, you misunderstand me. I'm not saying it
takes longer via news.tesco.net, it's much quicker! As it was posting via
news.individual.net before they started charging.

Meanwhile I've always had both news accounts set up, msnews.microsoft.com as
a backup, even before I found that news.individual.net (presumably not going
via NTL's server?) didn't download beyond a certain thread recursion, and
half the time - particularly since BB - I sync them both (usually because I
hit the MS one out of force of habit!). I've never seen any indication that
one account was downloading more than the other except in that one situation
and threads rarely got that deep. I haven't been going via my ISP long
enough to draw conclusions, though. Previously I have only used either
msnews or or the German server.

Are you saying that I will see my posts online before you will?

Shane
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:05:41 PM

You need to speak 'merkin' English in the NG's so us Yanks might understand.
Keep that up and I'll have to throw in some east Texas to keep 'y'all'
confused.
Heirloom, old and need new software

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 9GBe.3233$BN5.2318@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...
> Not sure what in particular you want explaining, H. 'Luvvaduck' is an old
> expression, one would suppose of London origin, that has always - in my
> lifetime - been a family-friendly one. Yet I can't help but imagine the
> family in question would necessarily be half man, half water fowl.
>
> Gor' bless yer, Guvnor! is what the pantomime cockney says as he strikes a
> light on your chin. Or you on his.
>
> Otherwise, I'm pleased at how fast posts are up/down-loaded using my ISP
> as compared to going to the Microsoft cow. Berlin Uni (news.indiviual.net,
> which until recently was free) doesn't really bear on the matter, rather
> that's where I was posting via when I first found how very much faster the
> ms newsgroups are if you don't go via msnews.microsoft.com. Yet I'd have
> thought going via a 3rd party'd introduce two extra steps.
>

> Shane
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>> What the.........?????
>> Heirloom, old and only half limey
>>
>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Cor, luvvaduck! Gor' bless yer Guvnor! This ol' 10x Tesco BB is even
>>> faster than Berlin Uni was!
>>>
>>> Shane
>>>

>>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:29:46 PM

He's using Tesco Mike not NTL or does Tesco go through NTL <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:

> And of course because you are posting via your ISP's (or rather NTL's)
> news server it now takes even longer to appear on the MS cluster than
> if posted there directly as well as taking its chances on arriving
> there at all. Likewise its very much of a gamble as to how many of
> the posts made to the MS news cluster make it to NTL's server.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:34:26 PM

<lol> And God bless you too <g>
I wasn't able to get the a.c.v. or a.c.av through my Onetel when I had to
drop the free Uni server but I can get them now through mynet plus some
of the alt ones.
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Cor, luvvaduck! Gor' bless yer Guvnor! This ol' 10x Tesco BB is even
> faster than Berlin Uni was!
>
> Shane

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 5:02:27 PM

do't by, an'I's be talkin'Rock t'ya.

Rick

Heirloom wrote:
> You need to speak 'merkin' English in the NG's so us Yanks might understand.
> Keep that up and I'll have to throw in some east Texas to keep 'y'all'
> confused.
> Heirloom, old and need new software
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:16:06 PM

Joan,

Shane is posting to ntli.net which is NTL. NTL connectivity for the
virtual ISP TESCO.net.

His header also contains the header:
--
Mike

Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> He's using Tesco Mike not NTL or does Tesco go through NTL <g>
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:20:25 PM

Shane please re-read my post. It takes Longer, that is L - O - N - G -
E - R <g> for your posts to reach the MS news server cluster when posted
via "Tesco's" news server (actually NTL's) as they have to propagate via
UseNet. Of course they will appear quicker on Tesco's server as that is
where you are posting the messages whereas those posted to MSNews have to
propagate via UseNet to hopefully arrive at the server used by Tesco.

My reference to NTL was due to ntli.net being your posting host plus your
headers containing the header:

To illustrate my point about the extra time required for your message to
reach the MS News server compare the path taken by your message to reach
the MS News server with my own.
Shane:

Mike:

My message was posted to the slave server TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl and then
passed to the hub
Your message was posted to newsfe2-win.ntli.net and then passed through
GigaNews, Tiscali and T-Online before eventually arriving at the MS News
hub (TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl).

There are many examples where UseNet servers have a far from complete
replication of posts made to msnews.microsoft.com and in many cases an
ISP's UseNet server has an incomplete subset of the groups on msnews.
--
Mike

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Unless I misunderstand you, Mike, you misunderstand me. I'm not
> saying it takes longer via news.tesco.net, it's much quicker! As it
> was posting via news.individual.net before they started charging.
>
> Meanwhile I've always had both news accounts set up,
> msnews.microsoft.com as a backup, even before I found that
> news.individual.net (presumably not going via NTL's server?) didn't
> download beyond a certain thread recursion, and half the time -
> particularly since BB - I sync them both (usually because I hit the
> MS one out of force of habit!). I've never seen any indication that
> one account was downloading more than the other except in that one
> situation and threads rarely got that deep. I haven't been going via
> my ISP long enough to draw conclusions, though. Previously I have
> only used either msnews or or the German server.
> Are you saying that I will see my posts online before you will?
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 7:41:51 PM

Oh yes, the threads in question are mainly between her and Sugien plus a
sprinkling from Art, Heather has been in a couple of times as well <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> ROFLMAO!
>
> Laura's still around then.
>

> Shane

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 7:58:11 PM

Actually, Rick, I could understand that.......it's the 'blow me up a gum
tree' stuff that boggles my mind. Could it be a reference to being
surprised?.....maybe a 'poof' propostition??..........hurricane in the
area???
Heirloom, old and must take another
English class

> do't by, an'I's be talkin'Rock t'ya.
>

> Rick
>
> Heirloom wrote:
>> You need to speak 'merkin' English in the NG's so us Yanks might
>> understand. Keep that up and I'll have to throw in some east Texas to
>> keep 'y'all' confused.
>> Heirloom, old and need new
>> software
July 15, 2005 7:58:58 PM

Well blow me up a gum tree!

Fascinating stuff, Mike. Thanks!

Shane

news:o oGdr$TiFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Shane please re-read my post. It takes Longer, that is L - O - N - G -
> E - R <g> for your posts to reach the MS news server cluster when posted
> via "Tesco's" news server (actually NTL's) as they have to propagate via
> UseNet. Of course they will appear quicker on Tesco's server as that is
> where you are posting the messages whereas those posted to MSNews have to
> propagate via UseNet to hopefully arrive at the server used by Tesco.
>
> My reference to NTL was due to ntli.net being your posting host plus your
> headers containing the header:
>
> To illustrate my point about the extra time required for your message to
> reach the MS News server compare the path taken by your message to reach
> the MS News server with my own.
> Shane:
>
> Mike:
>
> My message was posted to the slave server TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl and then
> passed to the hub
> Your message was posted to newsfe2-win.ntli.net and then passed through
> GigaNews, Tiscali and T-Online before eventually arriving at the MS News
> hub (TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl).
>
> There are many examples where UseNet servers have a far from complete
> replication of posts made to msnews.microsoft.com and in many cases an
> ISP's UseNet server has an incomplete subset of the groups on msnews.
> --
> Mike
>

> Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Unless I misunderstand you, Mike, you misunderstand me. I'm not
>> saying it takes longer via news.tesco.net, it's much quicker! As it
>> was posting via news.individual.net before they started charging.
>>
>> Meanwhile I've always had both news accounts set up,
>> msnews.microsoft.com as a backup, even before I found that
>> news.individual.net (presumably not going via NTL's server?) didn't
>> download beyond a certain thread recursion, and half the time -
>> particularly since BB - I sync them both (usually because I hit the
>> MS one out of force of habit!). I've never seen any indication that
>> one account was downloading more than the other except in that one
>> situation and threads rarely got that deep. I haven't been going via
>> my ISP long enough to draw conclusions, though. Previously I have
>> only used either msnews or or the German server.
>> Are you saying that I will see my posts online before you will?

July 15, 2005 8:00:27 PM

Art's getting stuck in, is he? And Heather, stirring it up, eh?

Actually I can't help but think that Sooge enjoys Laura's attentions! The
both of them protest too much!

:-)

Shane

> Oh yes, the threads in question are mainly between her and Sugien plus a
> sprinkling from Art, Heather has been in a couple of times as well <g>
> Joan
>

> Shane wrote:
>> ROFLMAO!
>>
>> Laura's still around then.
>>

>> Shane

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 8:00:34 PM

Where is this taking place??? What am I missing??? Who are these people???
If the Figglet is involved, it can't be good...well, what I mean is, it MUST
be good........
Heirloom, old and always the last to
know

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Oh yes, the threads in question are mainly between her and Sugien plus a
> sprinkling from Art, Heather has been in a couple of times as well <g>
> Joan
>

> Shane wrote:
>> ROFLMAO!
>>
>> Laura's still around then.
>>

>> Shane

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:08:12 PM

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well blow me up a gum tree!
>
> Fascinating stuff, Mike. Thanks!

Shane,

Sorry about the unintended "lecture" mode but I couldn't really find
another way to say what I was trying to say. :-)
--
Mike
Anonymous

I only took a few basic classes in Newfoundlander, not bilingual at all.

Vancouverites are even harder to understand and they speak undialected
English.

Rick

Heirloom wrote:
> Actually, Rick, I could understand that.......it's the 'blow me up a gum
> tree' stuff that boggles my mind. Could it be a reference to being
> surprised?.....maybe a 'poof' propostition??..........hurricane in the
> area???
> Heirloom, old and must take another
> English class
>
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>do't by, an'I's be talkin'Rock t'ya.
>>

>>Rick
>>
>>Heirloom wrote:
>>
>>>You need to speak 'merkin' English in the NG's so us Yanks might
>>>understand. Keep that up and I'll have to throw in some east Texas to
>>>keep 'y'all' confused.
>>> Heirloom, old and need new
>>>software

July 16, 2005 1:03:47 AM

> Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well blow me up a gum tree!
>>
>> Fascinating stuff, Mike. Thanks!
>

> Shane,
>
> Sorry about the unintended "lecture" mode but I couldn't really find
> another way to say what I was trying to say. :-)

No offence taken, Mike. I want to know.

Shane
July 16, 2005 1:04:57 AM

That heading Arkansas way? Home of the Chuggalug?

So where was Deliverence set?

> You need to speak 'merkin' English in the NG's so us Yanks might
> understand. Keep that up and I'll have to throw in some east Texas to keep
> 'y'all' confused.
> Heirloom, old and need new software
>

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 9GBe.3233$BN5.2318@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...
>> Not sure what in particular you want explaining, H. 'Luvvaduck' is an old
>> expression, one would suppose of London origin, that has always - in my
>> lifetime - been a family-friendly one. Yet I can't help but imagine the
>> family in question would necessarily be half man, half water fowl.
>>
>> Gor' bless yer, Guvnor! is what the pantomime cockney says as he strikes
>> a light on your chin. Or you on his.
>>
>> Otherwise, I'm pleased at how fast posts are up/down-loaded using my ISP
>> as compared to going to the Microsoft cow. Berlin Uni
>> (news.indiviual.net, which until recently was free) doesn't really bear
>> on the matter, rather that's where I was posting via when I first found
>> how very much faster the ms newsgroups are if you don't go via
>> msnews.microsoft.com. Yet I'd have thought going via a 3rd party'd
>> introduce two extra steps.
>>

>> Shane
>>

>> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>>> What the.........?????
>>> Heirloom, old and only half limey
>>>
>>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

July 16, 2005 1:15:18 AM

> surprised?.....maybe a 'poof' propostition??..........

LOL!

Actually, one imagines it's of Australian origin. I confess I don't know
exactly what feat it alludes to, though I'm sure it's not *that* one!

It probably refers to a wind-based means of elevation - into said Oz flora -
possibly one those chilli beans of yours might enhance. It is a favourite
exclaimation of real ale drinkers, after all!

Shane
July 16, 2005 1:17:01 AM

acv, 'loom!

> Where is this taking place??? What am I missing??? Who are these
> people??? If the Figglet is involved, it can't be good...well, what I mean
> is, it MUST be good........
> Heirloom, old and always the last
> to know
>

> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Oh yes, the threads in question are mainly between her and Sugien plus a
>> sprinkling from Art, Heather has been in a couple of times as well <g>
>> Joan
>>

>> Shane wrote:
>>> ROFLMAO!
>>>
>>> Laura's still around then.
>>>

>>> Shane

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:49:14 AM

<lol> You're probably right there as it's mainly between them two <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Art's getting stuck in, is he? And Heather, stirring it up, eh?
>
> Actually I can't help but think that Sooge enjoys Laura's attentions!
> The both of them protest too much!
>
> :-)
>

> Shane
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:12:44 AM

<lol> alt.comp.virus Heirloom, you don't know what you're missing <g>
Joan

Heirloom wrote:
> Where is this taking place??? What am I missing??? Who are these
> people??? If the Figglet is involved, it can't be good...well, what I
> mean is, it MUST be good........
> Heirloom, old and always the
> last to know

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:20:31 AM

Ah, not missing much, I dare say. Why I even know "Persnickity Tick." Oh
yeah, and that should have been "proposition", not "propostition".....or
whatever I had in my post.
Heirloom, old and Me is the best

> <lol> alt.comp.virus Heirloom, you don't know what you're missing <g>
> Joan
>

> Heirloom wrote:
>> Where is this taking place??? What am I missing??? Who are these
>> people??? If the Figglet is involved, it can't be good...well, what I
>> mean is, it MUST be good........
>> Heirloom, old and always the
>> last to know

July 16, 2005 3:26:29 AM

Shame on you!! Elayne is a Vancouverite and speaks perfect English. As for
the Newfie slang, well it's a beaut, boyo. You can spot them from a mile
away. Originally mostly Irish, but quite different now.

Daughter of a Spud Islander (VBG)

> I only took a few basic classes in Newfoundlander, not bilingual at all.
>
> Vancouverites are even harder to understand and they speak undialected
> English.
>
> Rick
>

> Heirloom wrote:
> > Actually, Rick, I could understand that.......it's the 'blow me up a gum
> > tree' stuff that boggles my mind. Could it be a reference to being
> > surprised?.....maybe a 'poof' propostition??..........hurricane in the
> > area???
> > Heirloom, old and must take another
> > English class
> >
> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>do't by, an'I's be talkin'Rock t'ya.
> >>

> >>Rick

July 16, 2005 3:32:04 AM

Whoops!! I forget that Shane and Joanie read that news group.......and
being a Gemini, my other self comes out on that one......LOL!!

Soooooooge has been a PITA for years and Laura usually winds him up good!!
Now he is off on a evangelical *tear* on, shall we say, poofs......and I
have put a few good shots in, but as he is plonked (allegedly), I only
answer when someone quotes him. He just can't stand being ignored grin.

Suffice it to say that we have all *known* each other for eons and it is a
long story. The plot is like a soap opera at times. Laura is an absolutely
outrageous New Yorker. Sooge is a rednecked luser and wannabe virus
writer.....and so on. Art is having fun with this one and he usually stays
out of a Laura/Sooge wrangle. Ant is a Brit with a wicked sense of humour.

So that is the synopsis.....and ACV is definitely more "free-wheeling" so to
speak, than the MS groups, so you are forewarned.

Heather (blushing at being "outed", lol)

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Where is this taking place??? What am I missing??? Who are these
people???
> If the Figglet is involved, it can't be good...well, what I mean is, it
MUST
> be good........
> Heirloom, old and always the last
> know
>

> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Oh yes, the threads in question are mainly between her and Sugien plus a
> > sprinkling from Art, Heather has been in a couple of times as well <g>
> > Joan
> >

> > Shane wrote:
> >> ROFLMAO!
> >>
> >> Laura's still around then.
> >>

> >> Shane

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:33:38 AM

Heather wrote:
> Shame on you!! Elayne is a Vancouverite and speaks perfect English. As for
> the Newfie slang, well it's a beaut, boyo. You can spot them from a mile
> away. Originally mostly Irish, but quite different now.
>
> Daughter of a Spud Islander (VBG)

ahhhh, that explains alot
<GD&R>

Rick
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:10:50 PM

<lol> It makes for good reading though <vbg> and people come in here and
say we go OT <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> Whoops!! I forget that Shane and Joanie read that news
> group.......and being a Gemini, my other self comes out on that
> one......LOL!!

>snip>

> Heather (blushing at being "outed", lol)

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:40:05 PM

Us??? OT???? How would they ever get that idea??
Heirloom, old and always off

> <lol> It makes for good reading though <vbg> and people come in here and
> say we go OT <g>
> Joan
>

> Heather wrote:
>> Whoops!! I forget that Shane and Joanie read that news
>> group.......and being a Gemini, my other self comes out on that
>> one......LOL!!
>
>>snip>
>
>> Heather (blushing at being "outed", lol)

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 2:03:39 PM

<lol> I don't know, I'm still trying to figure it out <vbg>
Joan

Heirloom wrote:
> Us??? OT???? How would they ever get that idea??
> Heirloom, old and always off

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:52:01 PM

I was able to boot to the ME reinstall CD, and I ran scanreg which restored
my registry to some previous point - not sure when. But after this I was
able to finally get Windows up without the blue screen. The bad news is that
when I try to reinstall programs like SBC Yahoo DSL, it just hangs. Other
times 'explorer' is not responding in task manager - or the system just
doesn't respond to mouse clicks.
I tried a System Restore but they all fail without much of an error message
explaining why.

Anything else I can try before I back up everything and reinstall ME?

"Heirloom" wrote:

> If System Restore will function, you should lose no data. Any program
> installed since the restore point date would have to be reinstalled and, if
> you are using Norton (shudder) AV, you may have to reinstall it if you have
> updated virus defs since the restore point. When you say Me reinstall CD,
> are you referring to a Recovery CD that came with your machine??? If so,
> these will put your machine back to the state when you bought it. Anything
> you have added since that time will be lost....this, for me anyway, would be
> a last resort.
> Heirloom, old and need a
> resort...with hot and cold running maids
>
> "Boghie" <Boghie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Removing the USB card didn't work. Can I boot to the ME reinstall CD or
> > do a
> > system restore? I'd like to save some files before reinstalling ME.
> >
> > "Boghie" wrote:
> >
> >> I installed the USB card about 2 weeks ago but this problem started a few
> >> days ago.
> >> I'll try removing the card - I don't have another PCI slot available.
> >>
> >> I had a similar problem several months ago, and it was resolved by
> >> removing
> >> unnecessary programs in the startup thru msconfig - but this doesn't seem
> >> be the problem this time.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:14:01 AM

I'd just reinstall, but YMMV how you feel about that...

Try a "Repair IE" :

ControlPanel/AddRemoveSoftware/AddRemove/IE6 ... Repair(button)

As for the programs that don't work, try Uninstalling them, rebooting
then reInstalling.

Rick

Boghie wrote:
> I was able to boot to the ME reinstall CD, and I ran scanreg which restored
> my registry to some previous point - not sure when. But after this I was
> able to finally get Windows up without the blue screen. The bad news is that
> when I try to reinstall programs like SBC Yahoo DSL, it just hangs. Other
> times 'explorer' is not responding in task manager - or the system just
> doesn't respond to mouse clicks.
> I tried a System Restore but they all fail without much of an error message
> explaining why.
>
> Anything else I can try before I back up everything and reinstall ME?
>
> "Heirloom" wrote:
>

>>If System Restore will function, you should lose no data. Any program
>>installed since the restore point date would have to be reinstalled and, if
>>you are using Norton (shudder) AV, you may have to reinstall it if you have
>>updated virus defs since the restore point. When you say Me reinstall CD,
>>are you referring to a Recovery CD that came with your machine??? If so,
>>these will put your machine back to the state when you bought it. Anything
>>you have added since that time will be lost....this, for me anyway, would be
>>a last resort.
>> Heirloom, old and need a
>>resort...with hot and cold running maids
>>
>>"Boghie" <Boghie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Removing the USB card didn't work. Can I boot to the ME reinstall CD or
>>>do a
>>>system restore? I'd like to save some files before reinstalling ME.

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:25:05 PM

I think I'm finally back up - even though the reinstall of my DSL software
was hanging, I can now get an Internet connection OK now. I also got past the
Active Desktop Recovery at bootup. Thanks to those of you who pointed me in
the right direction - and it was an entertaining first experience using this
discussion group and having some of you use it as your personal chatroom.

"Rick T" wrote:

> I'd just reinstall, but YMMV how you feel about that...
>
> Try a "Repair IE" :
>
> ControlPanel/AddRemoveSoftware/AddRemove/IE6 ... Repair(button)
>
> As for the programs that don't work, try Uninstalling them, rebooting
> then reInstalling.
>

> Rick
>

> Boghie wrote:
> > I was able to boot to the ME reinstall CD, and I ran scanreg which restored
> > my registry to some previous point - not sure when. But after this I was
> > able to finally get Windows up without the blue screen. The bad news is that
> > when I try to reinstall programs like SBC Yahoo DSL, it just hangs. Other
> > times 'explorer' is not responding in task manager - or the system just
> > doesn't respond to mouse clicks.
> > I tried a System Restore but they all fail without much of an error message
> > explaining why.
> >
> > Anything else I can try before I back up everything and reinstall ME?
> >
> > "Heirloom" wrote:
> >

> >>If System Restore will function, you should lose no data. Any program
> >>installed since the restore point date would have to be reinstalled and, if
> >>you are using Norton (shudder) AV, you may have to reinstall it if you have
> >>updated virus defs since the restore point. When you say Me reinstall CD,
> >>are you referring to a Recovery CD that came with your machine??? If so,
> >>these will put your machine back to the state when you bought it. Anything
> >>you have added since that time will be lost....this, for me anyway, would be
> >>a last resort.
> >> Heirloom, old and need a
> >>resort...with hot and cold running maids
> >>
> >>"Boghie" <Boghie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:34:45 PM

Might help us (and future solution-seekers) as to what actually
worked... as per the "chat room", glad to have entertained you.

Rick

!