Upgrading Windows ME to XP

I have tried to upgrade to XP from ME and I just can not get past the
compatibility issues. I have updated all the drivers that were requested and
am still left with a blocking issue, in that "Microsoft Shared Fax Client" is
the culprit.

There is no Fax in the Add/Remove programs so I disabled the fax in
Microsoft word all to no avail, I am still being blocked from continuing. I
assume that this device is to be removed but am unable to do so.

My computer is operating Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Premium.

Hopefully yours

Alan B
15 answers Last reply
More about upgrading windows

    Prevailing advice seems to be to uninstall Office first, then reinstall
    after the upgrade - but there's not much in the way of feedback as to
    results, that I've found (other problems were also present in the threads
    I've looked at) - what does the upgrade advisor actually state - EXACTLY -
    WRT the Fax Client?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Alan B" <Alan B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have tried to upgrade to XP from ME and I just can not get past the
    > compatibility issues. I have updated all the drivers that were requested
    > and
    > am still left with a blocking issue, in that "Microsoft Shared Fax Client"
    > is
    > the culprit.
    >
    > There is no Fax in the Add/Remove programs so I disabled the fax in
    > Microsoft word all to no avail, I am still being blocked from continuing.
    > assume that this device is to be removed but am unable to do so.
    >
    > My computer is operating Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Premium.
    >
    > Hopefully yours
    >
    > Alan B

    Noel,

    I've been here and resolved it but can't for the life remember the fix as
    it was over four years ago. Remember though that MS have built Win Me in
    such a way that they don't encourage the installation of MSFax and has to
    be forced to install by changing the name of the installer (awfax.exe) to
    something like msfax.exe. I thought the problem here though was more to
    removing Windows Messaging (not the instant messenger client but the mail
    prog from Win 95) that is used to run MSFax. I'll see if I can dig out
    the logs from when the machine concerned was finally upgraded to XP - it's
    the one I did my testing on (PII 450, all scsi box).
    --
    Mike

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > Prevailing advice seems to be to uninstall Office first, then
    > reinstall after the upgrade - but there's not much in the way of
    > feedback as to results, that I've found (other problems were also
    > present in the threads I've looked at) - what does the upgrade
    > advisor actually state - EXACTLY - WRT the Fax Client?

    Thanks for the prompt feed back. I have decided to remove Microsoft Office
    2000 and see if that will help.

    Stay tuned.

    Regards

    Alan B

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Noel,
    >
    > I've been here and resolved it but can't for the life remember the fix as
    > it was over four years ago. Remember though that MS have built Win Me in
    > such a way that they don't encourage the installation of MSFax and has to
    > be forced to install by changing the name of the installer (awfax.exe) to
    > something like msfax.exe. I thought the problem here though was more to
    > removing Windows Messaging (not the instant messenger client but the mail
    > prog from Win 95) that is used to run MSFax. I'll see if I can dig out
    > the logs from when the machine concerned was finally upgraded to XP - it's
    > the one I did my testing on (PII 450, all scsi box).
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Prevailing advice seems to be to uninstall Office first, then
    > > reinstall after the upgrade - but there's not much in the way of
    > > feedback as to results, that I've found (other problems were also
    > > present in the threads I've looked at) - what does the upgrade
    > > advisor actually state - EXACTLY - WRT the Fax Client?

    Mike - I *think* this is the Fax client installed as an option with Office,
    rather than the option (vaguely) available in ME - so your history may not
    apply (but don't let that stop you!!).

    Whatever, it seems that Alan is prepared to attempt the removal/reinstall of
    Office, and then return to us with his experience.... (brave man!<g>)

    --

    > Noel,
    >
    > I've been here and resolved it but can't for the life remember the fix as
    > it was over four years ago. Remember though that MS have built Win Me in
    > such a way that they don't encourage the installation of MSFax and has to
    > be forced to install by changing the name of the installer (awfax.exe) to
    > something like msfax.exe. I thought the problem here though was more to
    > removing Windows Messaging (not the instant messenger client but the mail
    > prog from Win 95) that is used to run MSFax. I'll see if I can dig out
    > the logs from when the machine concerned was finally upgraded to XP - it's
    > the one I did my testing on (PII 450, all scsi box).
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Prevailing advice seems to be to uninstall Office first, then
    >> reinstall after the upgrade - but there's not much in the way of
    >> feedback as to results, that I've found (other problems were also
    >> present in the threads I've looked at) - what does the upgrade
    >> advisor actually state - EXACTLY - WRT the Fax Client?

    So, couldn't bring yourself to say 'Symantec', Noel? <vbg>

    Shane

    > Mike - I *think* this is the Fax client installed as an option with
    > Office, rather than the option (vaguely) available in ME - so your history
    > may not apply (but don't let that stop you!!).
    >
    > Whatever, it seems that Alan is prepared to attempt the removal/reinstall
    > of Office, and then return to us with his experience.... (brave man!<g>)
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >> Noel,
    >>
    >> I've been here and resolved it but can't for the life remember the fix as
    >> it was over four years ago. Remember though that MS have built Win Me in
    >> such a way that they don't encourage the installation of MSFax and has to
    >> be forced to install by changing the name of the installer (awfax.exe) to
    >> something like msfax.exe. I thought the problem here though was more to
    >> removing Windows Messaging (not the instant messenger client but the mail
    >> prog from Win 95) that is used to run MSFax. I'll see if I can dig out
    >> the logs from when the machine concerned was finally upgraded to XP -
    >> it's the one I did my testing on (PII 450, all scsi box).
    >> --
    >> Mike
    >>

    >> Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Prevailing advice seems to be to uninstall Office first, then
    >>> reinstall after the upgrade - but there's not much in the way of
    >>> feedback as to results, that I've found (other problems were also
    >>> present in the threads I've looked at) - what does the upgrade
    >>> advisor actually state - EXACTLY - WRT the Fax Client?

    Wha???
    Nobody's mentioned that bunch of inebriated snails (AKA putrid
    coelenterates) yet in this thread, AFAIK!

    Using Norton in ME is very akin to a combination of necrophilia and
    bestiality - with about the same chance of a successful outcome

    (one day, I'll get the terminally cretinous to notice that I'm *not* [maybe]
    extracting the Michael....)

    (Ahhhhh - I feel better for that!<g>)

    --

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > So, couldn't bring yourself to say 'Symantec', Noel? <vbg>
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Mike - I *think* this is the Fax client installed as an option with
    >> Office, rather than the option (vaguely) available in ME - so your
    >> history may not apply (but don't let that stop you!!).
    >>
    >> Whatever, it seems that Alan is prepared to attempt the removal/reinstall
    >> of Office, and then return to us with his experience.... (brave man!<g>)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >>> Noel,
    >>>
    >>> I've been here and resolved it but can't for the life remember the fix
    >>> as it was over four years ago. Remember though that MS have built Win
    >>> Me in such a way that they don't encourage the installation of MSFax and
    >>> has to be forced to install by changing the name of the installer
    >>> (awfax.exe) to something like msfax.exe. I thought the problem here
    >>> though was more to removing Windows Messaging (not the instant messenger
    >>> client but the mail prog from Win 95) that is used to run MSFax. I'll
    >>> see if I can dig out the logs from when the machine concerned was
    >>> finally upgraded to XP - it's the one I did my testing on (PII 450, all
    >>> scsi box).
    >>> --
    >>> Mike

    [ . . . ]

    > Using Norton in ME is very akin to a combination of necrophilia and
    > bestiality - with about the same chance of a successful outcome

    Are you saying you despise them equally, or only in combination?

    I'm aware of course that WinME is the most reviled OS that Microsoft has
    fathered since MS-DOS 4.0, but I like it anyway. I'll admit ME does some
    quirky stuff, but its improvements over Win98 make that worth trying to cope
    with, IMO.

    O.G.

    <lol> And so you should <g>
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > Wha???
    > Nobody's mentioned that bunch of inebriated snails (AKA putrid
    > coelenterates) yet in this thread, AFAIK!
    >
    > Using Norton in ME is very akin to a combination of necrophilia and
    > bestiality - with about the same chance of a successful outcome
    >
    > (one day, I'll get the terminally cretinous to notice that I'm *not*
    > [maybe] extracting the Michael....)
    >
    > (Ahhhhh - I feel better for that!<g>)

    Thanks for all that we do seem to be straying from my original point.

    Since my last note I have reinstalled ME, this made things worst, so I am
    partitioning my hard drive and installing my OS (Win 98 the ME upgrade)
    followed by upgrading to Win XP, all on the new drive.

    Its cool here in OZ right now!

    "Joan Archer" wrote:

    > <lol> And so you should <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Noel Paton wrote:
    > > Wha???
    > > Nobody's mentioned that bunch of inebriated snails (AKA putrid
    > > coelenterates) yet in this thread, AFAIK!
    > >
    > > Using Norton in ME is very akin to a combination of necrophilia and
    > > bestiality - with about the same chance of a successful outcome
    > >
    > > (one day, I'll get the terminally cretinous to notice that I'm *not*
    > > [maybe] extracting the Michael....)
    > >
    > > (Ahhhhh - I feel better for that!<g>)

    I think you'll find Noel just means Norton, but especially when you try
    and run it on a WinME machine, the two just don't go together. <g>
    Joan

    Old Geezer wrote:
    > Are you saying you despise them equally, or only in combination?
    >
    > I'm aware of course that WinME is the most reviled OS that Microsoft
    > has fathered since MS-DOS 4.0, but I like it anyway. I'll admit ME
    > does some quirky stuff, but its improvements over Win98 make that
    > worth trying to cope with, IMO.
    >
    > O.G.

    Win ME is fine - until you attempt to marry it off to that b&st&rd SOB that
    is Norton - then it turns nasty<g>

    --

    "Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net> wrote in message

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > [ . . . ]
    >>
    >> Using Norton in ME is very akin to a combination of necrophilia and
    >> bestiality - with about the same chance of a successful outcome
    >
    > Are you saying you despise them equally, or only in combination?
    >
    > I'm aware of course that WinME is the most reviled OS that Microsoft has
    > fathered since MS-DOS 4.0, but I like it anyway. I'll admit ME does some
    > quirky stuff, but its improvements over Win98 make that worth trying to
    > cope with, IMO.
    >
    > O.G.

    Anyway, Noel, I meant Symantec Fax Starter Edition that comes with Outlook
    2000. I wasn't aware of another fax program in Office 2000, though I do just
    have Std plus Access, so maybe I needed to spend another 500 notes or what.

    Shane

    > Win ME is fine - until you attempt to marry it off to that b&st&rd SOB
    > that is Norton - then it turns nasty<g>
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> [ . . . ]
    >>>
    >>> Using Norton in ME is very akin to a combination of necrophilia and
    >>> bestiality - with about the same chance of a successful outcome
    >>
    >> Are you saying you despise them equally, or only in combination?
    >>
    >> I'm aware of course that WinME is the most reviled OS that Microsoft has
    >> fathered since MS-DOS 4.0, but I like it anyway. I'll admit ME does some
    >> quirky stuff, but its improvements over Win98 make that worth trying to
    >> cope with, IMO.
    >>
    >> O.G.

    Ah. Glad to hear it. :-)

    I stopped using Norton some time ago, when I began to strongly suspect it
    was causing me more problems than it was helping me with.

    O.G.

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >I think you'll find Noel just means Norton, but especially when you try and
    >run it on a WinME machine, the two just don't go together. <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Old Geezer wrote:
    >> Are you saying you despise them equally, or only in combination?
    >>
    >> I'm aware of course that WinME is the most reviled OS that Microsoft
    >> has fathered since MS-DOS 4.0, but I like it anyway. I'll admit ME
    >> does some quirky stuff, but its improvements over Win98 make that
    >> worth trying to cope with, IMO.
    >>
    >> O.G.

    My ME works fine along with Norton 5.0 ONLY.

    > Ah. Glad to hear it. :-)
    >
    > I stopped using Norton some time ago, when I began to strongly suspect it
    > was causing me more problems than it was helping me with.
    >
    > O.G.
    >

    > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > >I think you'll find Noel just means Norton, but especially when you try
    and
    > >run it on a WinME machine, the two just don't go together. <g>
    > > Joan
    > >

    > > Old Geezer wrote:
    > >> Are you saying you despise them equally, or only in combination?
    > >>
    > >> I'm aware of course that WinME is the most reviled OS that Microsoft
    > >> has fathered since MS-DOS 4.0, but I like it anyway. I'll admit ME
    > >> does some quirky stuff, but its improvements over Win98 make that
    > >> worth trying to cope with, IMO.
    > >>
    > >> O.G.

    Hmmmm

    I found that the ONLY Norton AV that was OK with ME was "NAV 2002"

    ... I found out the hard way too, usually ended up with re-formatting
    and putting ME and all software back on !

    Steve

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:34:47 -0500, "Liothar" <nospam@please.com>
    wrote:

    >My ME works fine along with Norton 5.0 ONLY.
    >
    >"Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net> wrote in message
    >> Ah. Glad to hear it. :-)
    >>
    >> I stopped using Norton some time ago, when I began to strongly suspect it
    >> was causing me more problems than it was helping me with.
    >>
    >> O.G.
    >>

    >> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> >I think you'll find Noel just means Norton, but especially when you try
    >and
    >> >run it on a WinME machine, the two just don't go together. <g>
    >> > Joan

Microsoft Windows XP Windows