Hanging on restart

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 13, 2005 10:37:13 PM

Whenever I restart this computer, it always hangs and then gives me the box
saying to wait or end task now. What could be causing this?

Also, is there a specific reason as to why when you open and run a few
programs and then go and open up say control panel Windows ME just either
hangs or just blue screens.

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org

More about : hanging restart

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:21:24 PM

"Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I restart this computer, it always hangs and then gives me the
> box saying to wait or end task now. What could be causing this?

I posted a similar question a couple of days ago, and Heirloom posted this
link which supplies a great deal of information about Windows Me
shutdown/restart problems:
http://aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnme.php

My WinMe machine always hangs on restart, though it never does on an
ordinary shutdown and I don't get the box you mention. I haven't solved my
problem yet but haven't had much time to work with that particular machine.
It seems there are many, many possible reasons. I'm going to start
investigating the various drivers, which evidently are a major cause of this
sort of problem.

O.G.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:07:03 AM

"Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net> wrote..

> My WinMe machine always hangs on restart, though it never does on an
> ordinary shutdown and I don't get the box you mention. I haven't solved my
> problem yet but haven't had much time to work with that particular
machine.
> It seems there are many, many possible reasons. I'm going to start
> investigating the various drivers, which evidently are a major cause of
this
> sort of problem.
>
> O.G.

I find that the following precautions have helped immensely:

[1] Always close all applications and other windows before allowing/invoking
Restart.

[2] Never let a 3rd-party programs (even after MS update install) to
kick-start Restart. Do it yourself after following precautions in [1]
above.

[3] Disable DMA on your CD-RW unit.

[4] Wait atleast 40 seconds before invoking Restart.

Item [4] is also useful before Shutdown. The extra few seconds before
Shutdown is easier than the agony of having to wait for the Scandisk to
finish at next bootup!
July 16, 2005 8:10:53 PM

"Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net> wrote..

> >> My WinMe machine always hangs on restart, though it never does on an
ordinary shutdown.. It seems there are many, many possible reasons. I'm
going to start investigating the various drivers, which evidently are a
major cause of this sort of problem. <<<<

Ogg>> [1] Always close all applications and other windows before
allowing/invoking Restart. << Ogg

>>> This problem doesn't *normally* arise except when some application
installation/update/etc. itself demands a restart, because generally
speaking I have no reason otherwise to do a restart. <<<

My suggestion is, if such a process ever prompts for a "Restart" option,
choose NOT to Restart if given the choice. Then close down all open windows
and apps. Then, do the Restart or reboot via Shutdown. But you already
explained that you would do that. Good.

>>> But for testing purposes on that system, starting up WinME and going
directly to a restart without starting any other program at all, still hangs
the machine.<<<

Yeah.. then likely a driver issue. Something is likely keeping your system
busy or was not able to terminate properly. Suggestion.. close all
applications and drivers that you have reference to in your Taskbar. Then
do the Restart only when you have the bare minimum in memory. Check the
Tasklist (Ctl-Alt-Del) for any remnant processes that you can kill that
don't need to be there.

If that clears the problem, do the same thing next time you need to do a
Restart, but then leave ONE of those tasks in memory. At each subsequent
Restart, add another TaskList item. If Restart hangs, you will be closer to
finding the offending Task item or combination of items.

> > [3] Disable DMA on your CD-RW unit.
>
> Really? Actually, that particular machine doesn't have a CD-RW drive, just
> plain CD-ROM. But I'll try that anyway.

Oh yeah.. a CDROM in general would also apply.

Sometimes I would have a failed Restart experience like yours.. at that time
it pointed to the internal modem when "something" would cause it to stall
and force me to reboot anyway.. But then the problem was only because the
modem did not get a chance to disconnect from the phoneline. If you use
DSL/cable modem, maybe make sure you disconnect from your ISP service before
you invoke a Restart.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:50:17 PM

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> "Old Geezer" <nowhere@all.net> wrote..

> ordinary shutdown.. It seems there are many, many possible reasons. I'm
> going to start investigating the various drivers, which evidently are a
> major cause of this sort of problem. <<<<
>
> Ogg>> [1] Always close all applications and other windows before
> allowing/invoking Restart. << Ogg

> installation/update/etc. itself demands a restart, because generally
> speaking I have no reason otherwise to do a restart. <<<
>
> My suggestion is, if such a process ever prompts for a "Restart" option,
> choose NOT to Restart if given the choice. Then close down all open
> windows
> and apps. Then, do the Restart or reboot via Shutdown. But you already
> explained that you would do that. Good.

> directly to a restart without starting any other program at all, still
> hangs
> the machine.<<<
>
> Yeah.. then likely a driver issue. Something is likely keeping your
> system
> busy or was not able to terminate properly. Suggestion.. close all
> applications and drivers that you have reference to in your Taskbar. Then
> do the Restart only when you have the bare minimum in memory. Check the
> Tasklist (Ctl-Alt-Del) for any remnant processes that you can kill that
> don't need to be there.
>
> If that clears the problem, do the same thing next time you need to do a
> Restart, but then leave ONE of those tasks in memory. At each subsequent
> Restart, add another TaskList item. If Restart hangs, you will be closer
> finding the offending Task item or combination of items.
>

>> > [3] Disable DMA on your CD-RW unit.
>>
>> Really? Actually, that particular machine doesn't have a CD-RW drive,
>> just
>> plain CD-ROM. But I'll try that anyway.
>
> Oh yeah.. a CDROM in general would also apply.
>
> Sometimes I would have a failed Restart experience like yours.. at that
> time
> it pointed to the internal modem when "something" would cause it to stall
> and force me to reboot anyway.. But then the problem was only because the
> modem did not get a chance to disconnect from the phoneline. If you use
> DSL/cable modem, maybe make sure you disconnect from your ISP service
> before
> you invoke a Restart.

Actually, that WinME machine never goes online in any way, though I probably
will occasionally connect it to my cable modem via a router sooner or later.

I haven't had a chance to get back to it, but I am very inclined to think it
is a driver issue as you suggest above. That should make it fairly easy to
find. We'll see.

Thanks again.

O.G.
!