All went fine at this end too, Alias.
Thanks.

Harry.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:e0R4k6IiFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> 7/14/05
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

And the servers are STILL working ok, here <g>

Mart

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> 7/14/05
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Shane

Well I just got bleedin' no updated components available! I'm starting to
think it's your fault, Mart! Mind, I have just finished a couple of bottles
of Roussillon...............

Shane

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> And the servers are STILL working ok, here <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>> 7/14/05
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Had to manually update, myself. Kept getting a 'downloaded definitions
file could not be read' message. I sent you the .zip file, Shane.
Heirloom, old and got mine

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well I just got bleedin' no updated components available! I'm starting to
> think it's your fault, Mart! Mind, I have just finished a couple of
> bottles of Roussillon...............
>

> Shane
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> And the servers are STILL working ok, here <g>
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>> 7/14/05
>>> --
>>> Alias
>>>
>>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Heirloom:

I can sympathize with Shane's despair, as well as your's and so many
other's. What could be causing the trouble, if not the server? I haven't got
a clue, do you?

Harry.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Had to manually update, myself. Kept getting a 'downloaded definitions
> file could not be read' message. I sent you the .zip file, Shane.
> Heirloom, old and got mine
>

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well I just got bleedin' no updated components available! I'm starting
> > think it's your fault, Mart! Mind, I have just finished a couple of
> > bottles of Roussillon...............
> >

> > Shane
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >> And the servers are STILL working ok, here <g>
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

Trouble at the other end........overload would be my guess. The manual
dl'd is an easy task.....just about as quick as using the GUI updater. No
biggie.
Heirloom, old and 'long as
it works

> Heirloom:
>
> I can sympathize with Shane's despair, as well as your's and so many
> other's. What could be causing the trouble, if not the server? I haven't
> got
> a clue, do you?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>> Had to manually update, myself. Kept getting a 'downloaded definitions
>> file could not be read' message. I sent you the .zip file, Shane.
>> Heirloom, old and got mine
>>

>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Well I just got bleedin' no updated components available! I'm starting
>> > think it's your fault, Mart! Mind, I have just finished a couple of
>> > bottles of Roussillon...............
>> >

>> > Shane
>> >

>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

> me.

Well, if I must, then I'll accept that it's down to me - but DON'T blame it
on the Roussillon <g>

.... however, still think it's ok at 'our end' <g>

Just spent (spending!) the past few hours doing a clean install of WinMe on
a cobbled together box of bits. If that in itself wasn't a slow process,
I've just spent several more hours doing the 'Critical Updates' - all 23 of
them - and using 2.2MB broadband!!!

Sheesh!!

I'll tackle the 'non-critical' ones tomorrow.

No wonder Noel advises moving heaven and earth before suggesting a fresh
install!

Now where's the Tesco Value Bitter? 2.1%, so it still let's you
concentrate(ish)

Mart

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well I just got bleedin' no updated components available! I'm starting to
> think it's your fault, Mart! Mind, I have just finished a couple of
> bottles of Roussillon...............
>

> Shane
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> And the servers are STILL working ok, here <g>
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>> 7/14/05
>>> --
>>> Alias
>>>
>>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Shane

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Had to manually update, myself. Kept getting a 'downloaded definitions
> file could not be read' message.

I see. Disregard my question in the e-mail, then.

> I sent you the .zip file, Shane.

Thanks again, mate.

Shane

> Well, if I must, then I'll accept that it's down to me - but DON'T blame
> it on the Roussillon <g>

OK then!

> ... however, still think it's ok at 'our end' <g>
>
> Just spent (spending!) the past few hours doing a clean install of WinMe
> on a cobbled together box of bits. If that in itself wasn't a slow
> process, I've just spent several more hours doing the 'Critical Updates' -
> all 23 of them - and using 2.2MB broadband!!!

Geez, Mart, ain't you got a copy of the Update cd? It's a bit late now, but
I'll send you a copy if you want. It sure takes the sting out of that job!

Shane

> Sheesh!!
>
> I'll tackle the 'non-critical' ones tomorrow.
>
> No wonder Noel advises moving heaven and earth before suggesting a fresh
> install!

He's probably just hoping to find loose change.

ROFL! Sorry, Noel, sort of.

> Now where's the Tesco Value Bitter? 2.1%, so it still let's you
> concentrate(ish)

That's almost as weak as Yank beer! Actually I bought a couple of bottles of
Director's recently. Thought I was in for a treat but it was poor. I guess
it really does have to be hand pumped. Had a nice Boddington's at a hotel
restaurant recently. I don't suppose you get M&B Brew XI up there? Used to
drink that in the Robin Hood in Solihull (when I was 13 or 14! Fond
memories. Like remembering your first kiss! Come to think of it, I don't
remember mine, but my first beer was at The Dell watching Southampton vs.
Man Utd!).

Here's the winter version of the NZ version of Bliss:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/c/4/ac407ba2-30d2-447b-8c93-83967a92dd9f/WinterBliss.jpg

So, that's beer, football, and sheep! What's missing?

Shane

Shane

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Well, if I must, then I'll accept that it's down to me - but DON'T blame
> it on the Roussillon <g>

OK then!

> ... however, still think it's ok at 'our end' <g>
>
> Just spent (spending!) the past few hours doing a clean install of WinMe
> on a cobbled together box of bits. If that in itself wasn't a slow
> process, I've just spent several more hours doing the 'Critical Updates' -
> all 23 of them - and using 2.2MB broadband!!!

Geez, Mart, ain't you got a copy of the Update cd? It's a bit late now, but
I'll send you a copy if you want. It sure takes the sting out of that job!

> Sheesh!!
>
> I'll tackle the 'non-critical' ones tomorrow.
>
> No wonder Noel advises moving heaven and earth before suggesting a fresh
> install!

He's probably just hoping to find loose change.

ROFL! Sorry, Noel, sort of.

> Now where's the Tesco Value Bitter? 2.1%, so it still let's you
> concentrate(ish)

That's almost as weak as Yank beer! Actually I bought a couple of bottles of
Director's recently. Thought I was in for a treat but it was poor. I guess
it really does have to be hand pumped. Had a nice Boddington's at a hotel
restaurant recently. I don't suppose you get M&B Brew XI up there? Used to
drink that in the Robin Hood in Solihull (when I was 13 or 14! Fond
memories. Like remembering your first kiss! Come to think of it, I don't
remember mine, but my first beer was at The Dell watching Southampton vs.
Man Utd!).

Here's the winter version of the NZ version of Bliss:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/c/4/ac407ba2-30d2-447b-8c93-83967a92dd9f/WinterBliss.jpg

So, that's beer, football, and sheep! What's missing?

Shane

I got mine OK <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Well I just got bleedin' no updated components available! I'm
> starting to think it's your fault, Mart! Mind, I have just finished a
> couple of bottles of Roussillon...............
>

> Shane

<lol> John has that Tesco Dutch Lager 3% it's only £5.05 for 24 cans <g>
Joan

Shane wrote :-

> Geez, Mart, ain't you got a copy of the Update cd? It's a bit late now,
> but I'll send you a copy if you want. It sure takes the sting out of that
> job!

Thanks for the offer Shane, but I'm sure of got the Update disk here -
somewhere <g>. However, it wasn't the download time that I was concerned
about (2 MB DSL - plenty fast enough) it was the sheer quantity and
processor time (200MHz) to install them!!. But I suppose I could say the
same thing about XP with all its updates (SP2 etc.)

It's all due to me re-fettling an old WinMe box - (Mobo knackered!) - and
replacing with another completely different (salvaged) one. Have you seen
the price of old PC100 RAM?? Just had a chat with Mike M about it. WOW! -
Salvage your old RAM and bank it!!, it's almost worth more than a brand new
XP box <g> Rapidly coming to the conclusion that refurbishing old kit is
just not (financially) worth it. I doubt if I could make a living from it,
but it keeps me off the streets <g>

> Shane wrote :-
>
>> Geez, Mart, ain't you got a copy of the Update cd? It's a bit late now,
>> but I'll send you a copy if you want. It sure takes the sting out of that
>> job!
>
> Thanks for the offer Shane, but I'm sure of got the Update disk here -
> somewhere <g>. However, it wasn't the download time that I was concerned
> about (2 MB DSL - plenty fast enough) it was the sheer quantity and
> processor time (200MHz) to install them!!. But I suppose I could say the
> same thing about XP with all its updates (SP2 etc.)

XP's worse, Mart! I did compare 4 or 5 Windows versions a while back and
there were far more for XP! (I think that was post SP2, but maybe not) There
were also more for Win 98se than for ME.

Anyhow, the CD installs most of them in double-quick time! That's why to me
it was a godsend - I already had all the updates downloaded. Believe me, if
you have to do it again some time, use the cd!

> It's all due to me re-fettling an old WinMe box - (Mobo knackered!) - and
> replacing with another completely different (salvaged) one. Have you seen
> the price of old PC100 RAM?? Just had a chat with Mike M about it. WOW! -
> Salvage your old RAM and bank it!!, it's almost worth more than a brand
> new XP box <g> Rapidly coming to the conclusion that refurbishing old kit
> is just not (financially) worth it. I doubt if I could make a living from
> it, but it keeps me off the streets <g>

Very interesting and a little disconcerting too! What about PC133?

Shane

Prices are rising there, also - scarcity value, more than anything else.

eBay prices may not be too bad - but then there's guarantees....

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Noel wrote :-

> Prices are rising there, also - scarcity value, more than anything else.

Too right Noel - I'll have to watch out for The Antiques Road Show or Cash
In The Attic <g>

Mart

Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

> Thanks for the offer Shane, but I'm sure of got the Update disk here -
> somewhere <g>. However, it wasn't the download time that I was
> concerned about (2 MB DSL - plenty fast enough) it was the sheer
> quantity and processor time (200MHz) to install them!!. But I suppose
> I could say the same thing about XP with all its updates (SP2 etc.)
>
> It's all due to me re-fettling an old WinMe box - (Mobo knackered!) -
> and replacing with another completely different (salvaged) one. Have
> you seen the price of old PC100 RAM?? Just had a chat with Mike M
> about it. WOW! - Salvage your old RAM and bank it!!, it's almost
> worth more than a brand new XP box <g> Rapidly coming to the
> conclusion that refurbishing old kit is just not (financially) worth
> it. I doubt if I could make a living from it, but it keeps me off the
> streets <g>

Guess what I've just been asked to look at an old P-B that originally ran
Win Me and is now running XP Home like a dog. Yes, you've guessed it.
128MB of RAM. And no not the same PC as when we spoke. The cost of
getting a 256MB stick from Crucial (no-one else seems to have it in stock
in the UK for this model P-B) - £55 and some pence. To think I bought a
1GB stick of PC3200 DDR for this box a few weeks ago for just a little
over £60!!

I just hope this is the last time for a while I have to ask a friend to
dig deep for over priced old RAM.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Sheesh, I may have to take my Me box back........the memory is worth more
than I thought the whole system was worth!!!
Heirloom, old and drew
the short straw again

> Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the offer Shane, but I'm sure of got the Update disk here -
>> somewhere <g>. However, it wasn't the download time that I was
>> concerned about (2 MB DSL - plenty fast enough) it was the sheer
>> quantity and processor time (200MHz) to install them!!. But I suppose
>> I could say the same thing about XP with all its updates (SP2 etc.)
>>
>> It's all due to me re-fettling an old WinMe box - (Mobo knackered!) -
>> and replacing with another completely different (salvaged) one. Have
>> you seen the price of old PC100 RAM?? Just had a chat with Mike M
>> about it. WOW! - Salvage your old RAM and bank it!!, it's almost
>> worth more than a brand new XP box <g> Rapidly coming to the
>> conclusion that refurbishing old kit is just not (financially) worth
>> it. I doubt if I could make a living from it, but it keeps me off the
>> streets <g>
>
> Guess what I've just been asked to look at an old P-B that originally ran
> Win Me and is now running XP Home like a dog. Yes, you've guessed it.
> 128MB of RAM. And no not the same PC as when we spoke. The cost of
> getting a 256MB stick from Crucial (no-one else seems to have it in stock
> in the UK for this model P-B) - £55 and some pence. To think I bought a
> 1GB stick of PC3200 DDR for this box a few weeks ago for just a little
> over £60!!
>
> I just hope this is the last time for a while I have to ask a friend to
> dig deep for over priced old RAM.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Shane

Wouldn't it be cool if the 128MB stick of PC133 I bought but the bios didn't
recognise is now worth more than I paid for it! Must see what I did with it!

Shane

> Prices are rising there, also - scarcity value, more than anything else.
>
> eBay prices may not be too bad - but then there's guarantees....
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the offer Shane, but I'm sure of got the Update disk here -
>>> somewhere <g>. However, it wasn't the download time that I was concerned
>>> about (2 MB DSL - plenty fast enough) it was the sheer quantity and
>>> processor time (200MHz) to install them!!. But I suppose I could say the
>>> same thing about XP with all its updates (SP2 etc.)
>>>

>> XP's worse, Mart! I did compare 4 or 5 Windows versions a while back and
>> there were far more for XP! (I think that was post SP2, but maybe not)
>> There were also more for Win 98se than for ME.
>>
>> Anyhow, the CD installs most of them in double-quick time! That's why to
>> me it was a godsend - I already had all the updates downloaded. Believe
>> me, if you have to do it again some time, use the cd!
>>

>>> It's all due to me re-fettling an old WinMe box - (Mobo knackered!) -
>>> and replacing with another completely different (salvaged) one. Have you
>>> seen the price of old PC100 RAM?? Just had a chat with Mike M about it.
>>> WOW! - Salvage your old RAM and bank it!!, it's almost worth more than a
>>> brand new XP box <g> Rapidly coming to the conclusion that refurbishing
>>> old kit is just not (financially) worth it. I doubt if I could make a
>>> living from it, but it keeps me off the streets <g>
>>>

>> Very interesting and a little disconcerting too! What about PC133?
>>

>> Shane

Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote:

> Sheesh, I may have to take my Me box back........the memory is worth
> more than I thought the whole system was worth!!!

Exactly. The Packard-Bell seems to use a relatively rare sort of SDRAM
but the price for 256MB was the same as for the more usual stick I bought
for a different PC last week. Crucial were quoting in the US$80s with it
being a bit more here thanks to the 17.5% tax. If you're dumping a box
make sure to save the RAM "just in case".
--
Mike

Mike M wrote:
> Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote:
>
>> Sheesh, I may have to take my Me box back........the memory is worth
>> more than I thought the whole system was worth!!!
>

> Exactly. The Packard-Bell seems to use a relatively rare sort of SDRAM
> but the price for 256MB was the same as for the more usual stick I
> bought for a different PC last week. Crucial were quoting in the US$80s
> with it being a bit more here thanks to the 17.5% tax. If you're
> dumping a box make sure to save the RAM "just in case".

heck, I paid (iirc) $50Cdn for ea 256MB stick a couple years ago; whoda
thunk?

Rick

k who's the wiseacre put me on the "songwriting contest" spam list ?

Shane

> k who's the wiseacre put me on the "songwriting contest" spam list ?

That reminds me of a song (do you know George Formby?)!

Shane

Shane wrote:
>>k who's the wiseacre put me on the "songwriting contest" spam list ?
>

> That reminds me of a song (do you know George Formby?)!

nope... who's he?

Rick

"It Doesn't Work"

Refrain:
Is the thing plugged in ?
Did you fill it full of beer ?
Did your cat bite through a cable
While you ran a "peer 2 peer" ?

Do you visit nasty websites ?
Install stuff from e-mail ?
No original CD...
'Cuz you got it <cough> "on sale" ?

refrain...

Did you forget to mention
That you're running Norton "gems" ?
Or a friendly browser "helper"
That "some website" recommends ?

refrain...

You think that Microsoft must have
your best interests at heart ?
They put the button to shutdown
right there... it's labelled "Start"

refrain...

Do you think that I am psychic
and can tell without a peek
which one of many ways you've screwed
your system up this week ?

Shane

> >>k who's the wiseacre put me on the "songwriting contest" spam list ?
> >

> > That reminds me of a song (do you know George Formby?)!
>
> nope... who's he?

http://www.georgeformby.co.uk/

Stacks of songs going,eg, "I'm leaning on a lamppost at the corner of the
street" but I preferred the version which has Mussilini singing "I'm hanging
from a lamppost at the corner of the street".

> Rick
>
> "It Doesn't Work"
>
> Refrain:
> Is the thing plugged in ?