Application Error and Spyware Doctor's access violations

While running Registry Mechanic in deep scan mode and while it was scanning
the shared dll's, I received the following messages: Application error. "
Exception ERead Error in module RTL 70.BPL at 00034B6B Error reading Image
List Main B:Failed to read Image List data from steam." OK. I don't know
what that meant but I just clicked the OK button and the message went away.
However, I then also received the following messages ad infinitum: Spyware
Doctor: access violation at address (and here appeared various address
numbers, including most frequently 011B58BO and 03PD6E08. I had to restart
my puter to stop those messages.

I have Registry Mechanic to start on start-up (not in deep scan mode) and
when I stopped it (by pressing the "x"), I get the message that I have
interrupted the scan and would I like to cancel it, Yes or No. I keep
clicking Yes, but I couldn't get it to go away until I minimized it, right
clicked it, and closed it in the taskbar. It wouldn't go away even if I
closed it in the taskbar until I minimized it. No big deal, I guess, and
everything appears OK now, but what the heck was going on?
7 answers Last reply
More about application error spyware doctor access violations

    Someone:

    Don't run your Registry Mechanic on startup.
    If anthing, choose your operations manually - and then you have to be very
    careful.

    Harry.

    "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > While running Registry Mechanic in deep scan mode and while it was
    scanning
    > the shared dll's, I received the following messages: Application error. "
    > Exception ERead Error in module RTL 70.BPL at 00034B6B Error reading
    Image
    > List Main B:Failed to read Image List data from steam." OK. I don't know
    > what that meant but I just clicked the OK button and the message went
    away.
    > However, I then also received the following messages ad infinitum:
    Spyware
    > Doctor: access violation at address (and here appeared various address
    > numbers, including most frequently 011B58BO and 03PD6E08. I had to
    restart
    > my puter to stop those messages.
    >
    > I have Registry Mechanic to start on start-up (not in deep scan mode) and
    > when I stopped it (by pressing the "x"), I get the message that I have
    > interrupted the scan and would I like to cancel it, Yes or No. I keep
    > clicking Yes, but I couldn't get it to go away until I minimized it, right
    > clicked it, and closed it in the taskbar. It wouldn't go away even if I
    > closed it in the taskbar until I minimized it. No big deal, I guess, and
    > everything appears OK now, but what the heck was going on?

    Forgot to mention:
    Third Party Software is frowned upon in this NG.

    "
    > > Exception ERead Error in module RTL 70.BPL at 00034B6B Error reading
    > Image
    > > List Main B:Failed to read Image List data from steam." OK. I don't
    know
    > > what that meant but I just clicked the OK button and the message went
    > away.
    > > However, I then also received the following messages ad infinitum:
    > Spyware
    > > Doctor: access violation at address (and here appeared various address
    > > numbers, including most frequently 011B58BO and 03PD6E08. I had to
    > restart
    > > my puter to stop those messages.
    > >
    > > I have Registry Mechanic to start on start-up (not in deep scan mode)
    and
    > > when I stopped it (by pressing the "x"), I get the message that I have
    > > interrupted the scan and would I like to cancel it, Yes or No. I keep
    > > clicking Yes, but I couldn't get it to go away until I minimized it,
    right
    > > clicked it, and closed it in the taskbar. It wouldn't go away even if I
    > > closed it in the taskbar until I minimized it. No big deal, I guess,
    and
    > > everything appears OK now, but what the heck was going on?

    Not at all, Harry
    Third party software can be very good - and a lot better than MS software!!

    It's only inappropriate, or badly-coded, third-party software that's frowned
    upon.!!

    I happen to hate Registry Mechanic - because in its default settings, it
    will tend to remove a lot more than it should do, and change a lot more than
    it has any right to, without prior notice to the user. And there's the
    point.
    A registry editor/cleaner needs to make sure that it does NOTHING without
    the INFORMED consent of the system owner - and Registry Mechanic, whenever
    I've attempted to use it, has never informed me of anything (let alone
    anything I was not already aware of) in any way that I was capable of
    understanding in sufficient depth to make an 'informed' decision on.

    To my mind, the ONLY registry cleaner that is to be recommended, is
    KNOWLEDGE - backed up by ADVICE from reputable sources.
    All the commercial cleaners will fail a large minority of users, because
    their profile does not fit the one for which the cleaner has been built.
    Knowledge is the one thing that will keep your system clean and safe through
    the firestorm of a massive virus attack, and through the vicissitudes of
    long ownership.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Forgot to mention:
    > Third Party Software is frowned upon in this NG.
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Someone:
    >>
    >> Don't run your Registry Mechanic on startup.
    >> If anthing, choose your operations manually - and then you have to be
    >> very
    >> careful.
    >>
    >> Harry.
    >>

    >> "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > While running Registry Mechanic in deep scan mode and while it was
    >> scanning
    >> > the shared dll's, I received the following messages: Application
    >> > error.
    > "
    >> > Exception ERead Error in module RTL 70.BPL at 00034B6B Error reading
    >> Image
    >> > List Main B:Failed to read Image List data from steam." OK. I don't
    > know
    >> > what that meant but I just clicked the OK button and the message went
    >> away.
    >> > However, I then also received the following messages ad infinitum:
    >> Spyware
    >> > Doctor: access violation at address (and here appeared various address
    >> > numbers, including most frequently 011B58BO and 03PD6E08. I had to
    >> restart
    >> > my puter to stop those messages.
    >> >
    >> > I have Registry Mechanic to start on start-up (not in deep scan mode)
    > and
    >> > when I stopped it (by pressing the "x"), I get the message that I have
    >> > interrupted the scan and would I like to cancel it, Yes or No. I keep
    >> > clicking Yes, but I couldn't get it to go away until I minimized it,
    > right
    >> > clicked it, and closed it in the taskbar. It wouldn't go away even if
    >> > closed it in the taskbar until I minimized it. No big deal, I guess,
    > and
    >> > everything appears OK now, but what the heck was going on?

    Noel:

    I stand corrected with my statement on third party software.
    In this case my understanding of it was somewhat off target, leaving me to
    apologize.
    Correctly it should read:
    "The use of certain third party software is frowned upon".
    Thanks for the wake-up call.

    Harry.

    > Not at all, Harry
    > Third party software can be very good - and a lot better than MS
    software!!

    > It's only inappropriate, or badly-coded, third-party software that's
    frowned
    > upon.!!
    >
    > I happen to hate Registry Mechanic - because in its default settings, it
    > will tend to remove a lot more than it should do, and change a lot more
    than
    > it has any right to, without prior notice to the user. And there's the
    > point.
    > A registry editor/cleaner needs to make sure that it does NOTHING without
    > the INFORMED consent of the system owner - and Registry Mechanic, whenever
    > I've attempted to use it, has never informed me of anything (let alone
    > anything I was not already aware of) in any way that I was capable of
    > understanding in sufficient depth to make an 'informed' decision on.
    >

    > To my mind, the ONLY registry cleaner that is to be recommended, is
    > KNOWLEDGE - backed up by ADVICE from reputable sources.
    > All the commercial cleaners will fail a large minority of users, because
    > their profile does not fit the one for which the cleaner has been built.
    > Knowledge is the one thing that will keep your system clean and safe
    through
    > the firestorm of a massive virus attack, and through the vicissitudes of
    > long ownership.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Forgot to mention:
    > > Third Party Software is frowned upon in this NG.
    > >

    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Someone:
    > >>
    > >> Don't run your Registry Mechanic on startup.
    > >> If anthing, choose your operations manually - and then you have to be
    > >> very
    > >> careful.
    > >>
    > >> Harry.
    > >>

    > >> "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> scanning
    > > "
    > >> Image
    > > know
    > >> away.
    > >> Spyware
    > >> restart

    > > and
    > > right
    > > and

    No apology needed, Harry - just act upon the lesson learned, and we'll all
    benefit!

    I do understand that you want to assist people in these groups - and I
    applaud you for that. However, I have to question whether your understanding
    of your own situation is such that you are in a position to provide such
    assistance. I can't help thinking that perhaps you should be lurking, more
    than posting responses.

    Lurking is not a bad thing - it's how many (if not most) of us started out -
    possibly after coming in with a 'daft' question (which was, looking back on
    it, the one I found these NG's for!), and deciding that they liked the
    company.

    Posting advice that is not supported by at least a modicum of evidence, or
    experience, is a definite no-no, and it does seem as if you may have crossed
    that line a few times - even if only in your eagerness to help.

    I (again) applaud you for your willingness to assist - but would caution you
    to reticence in your postings. New entrants to the group may/will not have
    any experience with which to judge the content they see, and may get the
    wrong idea about what you're saying, what others are saying, or what is
    needed, such a wrong impression could lead to a non-recoverable situation
    with their PC.

    We're all guilty of it (shoot-from-the-hip syndrome) at some time - so don't
    take this diatribe too much to heart, and most of all don't let it stop you
    trying to help!
    <breathe - 1 - 2- 3>
    :)

    --

    > Noel:
    >
    > I stand corrected with my statement on third party software.
    > In this case my understanding of it was somewhat off target, leaving me to
    > apologize.
    > Correctly it should read:
    > "The use of certain third party software is frowned upon".
    > Thanks for the wake-up call.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Not at all, Harry
    >> Third party software can be very good - and a lot better than MS
    > software!!
    >>
    >> It's only inappropriate, or badly-coded, third-party software that's
    > frowned
    >> upon.!!
    >>
    >> I happen to hate Registry Mechanic - because in its default settings, it
    >> will tend to remove a lot more than it should do, and change a lot more
    > than
    >> it has any right to, without prior notice to the user. And there's the
    >> point.
    >> A registry editor/cleaner needs to make sure that it does NOTHING without
    >> the INFORMED consent of the system owner - and Registry Mechanic,
    >> whenever
    >> I've attempted to use it, has never informed me of anything (let alone
    >> anything I was not already aware of) in any way that I was capable of
    >> understanding in sufficient depth to make an 'informed' decision on.
    >>

    >> To my mind, the ONLY registry cleaner that is to be recommended, is
    >> KNOWLEDGE - backed up by ADVICE from reputable sources.
    >> All the commercial cleaners will fail a large minority of users, because
    >> their profile does not fit the one for which the cleaner has been built.
    >> Knowledge is the one thing that will keep your system clean and safe
    > through
    >> the firestorm of a massive virus attack, and through the vicissitudes of
    >> long ownership.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Forgot to mention:
    >> > Third Party Software is frowned upon in this NG.
    >> >

    >> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

    >> > "
    >> > know
    > address

    >> > and
    > have
    > keep
    >> > right
    > if
    >> > and

    Noel Paton wrote:

    <<"third party programs are frowned upon">>
    > Posting advice that is not supported by at least a modicum of evidence, or
    > experience, is a definite no-no, and it does seem as if you may have crossed
    > that line a few times - even if only in your eagerness to help.

    Dunno, alot of posts are of the "based on what I remember somebody else
    posted, I'll say..." variety, certainly the replies I make that I have
    no firsthand knowledge of.

    And with the exception of a handful of third-party programs (AVG, S&D,
    AdAware, Belarc, ScanDefrag, JV16) third party programs are usually met
    with distrust and quite a few with deserved malice.

    Rick

    Thank you, Noel.
    Don't have the time, anyway.
    See u all later.