Boot problem

I've been having boot up problems lately.

What's happening is as follows:

-From a cold boot (restart works fine) the process locks at the splash
screen or after the desktop icons (not the background) load. When I alt+D
the message I get is that msqsrv32 is not responding and systray not
responding.

You folks are, by far, the best.

KB
7 answers Last reply
More about boot problem

    http://aumha.org/win4/kbstrtup.php
    Give the above site a shot............bet you will find you answer.
    Heirloom, old and been there

    "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
    > I've been having boot up problems lately.
    >
    > What's happening is as follows:
    >
    > -From a cold boot (restart works fine) the process locks at the splash
    > screen or after the desktop icons (not the background) load. When I alt+D
    > the message I get is that msqsrv32 is not responding and systray not
    > responding.
    >
    > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > You folks are, by far, the best.
    >
    > KB

    "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote..

    > I've been having boot up problems lately.
    > What's happening is as follows:
    >
    > -From a cold boot (restart works fine) the process locks at the splash
    > screen or after the desktop icons (not the background) load. When I alt+D
    > the message I get is that msqsrv32 is not responding and systray not
    > responding.

    I am not as knowledgeable in WinME problems as many of the long-timers here,
    but maybe my experience can help. I ran into "msgsrv32 not responding" a
    couple of times after a rencent USB 2.0 pci card installation. Then it
    cleared up! I swear.. I did absolutely nothing else hardware-wise or
    software-wise. But I would "fix" the immediate problem by simply killing
    the process. WinMe seemed to recover from that on its own. Two months
    later no problems, until..

    I recently got the same thing happening a couple of times again after I
    installed a new NIC (different manufacturer and drivers than the previous).
    And there too, the problem was temporary. and never happend again. There
    too.. I just killed the process. No problems or about a month, until..

    Lately I installed the IE5.5SP2 Cumulative update: 883939 ..and the
    msgsrv32 problem kicked in. Again, I just killed the process. ME recovered.
    Now a about 2 days later, ME is still running quite smoothly.

    HTH (hope this helps)
    YMMV (your mileage may vary)!

    Thanks for the detailed message. My problem has gone away for the most
    part. The system sometimes has trouble booting though. I suspect my
    install of Zone Alarm may have gotten corrupted.

    Take care, ogg.

    KB
    "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote..
    >
    > > I've been having boot up problems lately.
    > > What's happening is as follows:
    > >
    > > -From a cold boot (restart works fine) the process locks at the splash
    > > screen or after the desktop icons (not the background) load. When I
    alt+D
    > > the message I get is that msqsrv32 is not responding and systray not
    > > responding.
    >
    > I am not as knowledgeable in WinME problems as many of the long-timers
    here,
    > but maybe my experience can help. I ran into "msgsrv32 not responding" a
    > couple of times after a rencent USB 2.0 pci card installation. Then it
    > cleared up! I swear.. I did absolutely nothing else hardware-wise or
    > software-wise. But I would "fix" the immediate problem by simply killing
    > the process. WinMe seemed to recover from that on its own. Two months
    > later no problems, until..
    >
    > I recently got the same thing happening a couple of times again after I
    > installed a new NIC (different manufacturer and drivers than the
    previous).
    > And there too, the problem was temporary. and never happend again. There
    > too.. I just killed the process. No problems or about a month, until..
    >
    > Lately I installed the IE5.5SP2 Cumulative update: 883939 ..and the
    > msgsrv32 problem kicked in. Again, I just killed the process. ME
    recovered.
    > Now a about 2 days later, ME is still running quite smoothly.
    >
    > HTH (hope this helps)
    > YMMV (your mileage may vary)!

    Thanks, Heirloom.

    I seem to be chasing a problem not specific to the errors I mentioned. I've
    had the lock up occur on another occassion and the 'not responding'
    processes were explorer and systray.

    Thanks again!

    KB
    "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    > http://aumha.org/win4/kbstrtup.php
    > Give the above site a shot............bet you will find you answer.
    > Heirloom, old and been there
    >

    > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
    > > I've been having boot up problems lately.
    > >
    > > What's happening is as follows:
    > >
    > > -From a cold boot (restart works fine) the process locks at the splash
    > > screen or after the desktop icons (not the background) load. When I
    alt+D
    > > the message I get is that msqsrv32 is not responding and systray not
    > > responding.
    > >
    > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > You folks are, by far, the best.
    > >
    > > KB

    Zone Alarm appears to have been broken after running housecall at
    trendmicro. It's a new version of the scanner which has had mixed reviews.
    Recommend avoiding this online scan.

    I've uninstalled and reinstalled and life appears (at least for now) to be
    normal.

    Take care, Heirloom. And thanks for the advice.

    KB
    "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    > http://aumha.org/win4/kbstrtup.php
    > Give the above site a shot............bet you will find you answer.
    > Heirloom, old and been there
    >

    > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
    > > I've been having boot up problems lately.
    > >
    > > What's happening is as follows:
    > >
    > > -From a cold boot (restart works fine) the process locks at the splash
    > > screen or after the desktop icons (not the background) load. When I
    alt+D
    > > the message I get is that msqsrv32 is not responding and systray not
    > > responding.
    > >
    > > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > You folks are, by far, the best.
    > >
    > > KB

    Zone Alarm appears to have been broken after running an online scan at
    housecall by trendmicro.

    Recommend avoiding this scanner, which has had mixed reviews, for WinME
    users.

    Thanks again for the advice.

    KB
    "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote..
    >
    > > I've been having boot up problems lately.
    > > What's happening is as follows:
    > >
    > > -From a cold boot (restart works fine) the process locks at the splash
    > > screen or after the desktop icons (not the background) load. When I
    alt+D
    > > the message I get is that msqsrv32 is not responding and systray not
    > > responding.
    >
    > I am not as knowledgeable in WinME problems as many of the long-timers
    here,
    > but maybe my experience can help. I ran into "msgsrv32 not responding" a
    > couple of times after a rencent USB 2.0 pci card installation. Then it
    > cleared up! I swear.. I did absolutely nothing else hardware-wise or
    > software-wise. But I would "fix" the immediate problem by simply killing
    > the process. WinMe seemed to recover from that on its own. Two months
    > later no problems, until..
    >
    > I recently got the same thing happening a couple of times again after I
    > installed a new NIC (different manufacturer and drivers than the
    previous).
    > And there too, the problem was temporary. and never happend again. There
    > too.. I just killed the process. No problems or about a month, until..
    >
    > Lately I installed the IE5.5SP2 Cumulative update: 883939 ..and the
    > msgsrv32 problem kicked in. Again, I just killed the process. ME
    recovered.
    > Now a about 2 days later, ME is still running quite smoothly.
    >
    > HTH (hope this helps)
    > YMMV (your mileage may vary)!

    Personally, I don't utilize any of the 'online' scanning offers. Call me
    skeptical, but, I don't trust opening my machine to some website, regardless
    of their reputation. Sure glad you got the bugs out, you did good!!!
    Heirloom, old and of some use
    yet

    > Zone Alarm appears to have been broken after running housecall at
    > trendmicro. It's a new version of the scanner which has had mixed
    > reviews.
    > Recommend avoiding this online scan.
    >
    > I've uninstalled and reinstalled and life appears (at least for now) to be
    > normal.
    >
    > Take care, Heirloom. And thanks for the advice.
    >
    > KB
    > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    >> http://aumha.org/win4/kbstrtup.php
    >> Give the above site a shot............bet you will find you answer.
    >> Heirloom, old and been there
    >>

    >> "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
    >> > I've been having boot up problems lately.
    >> >
    >> > What's happening is as follows:
    >> >
    >> > -From a cold boot (restart works fine) the process locks at the splash
    >> > screen or after the desktop icons (not the background) load. When I
    > alt+D
    >> > the message I get is that msqsrv32 is not responding and systray not
    >> > responding.
    >> >
    >> > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > You folks are, by far, the best.
    >> >
    >> > KB

Boot Microsoft Desktop Icons Windows