Improper shutdown

My WinME is shutting down properly and I keep getting the run scandisk at
reboot..
I went here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273017/EN-US/ and downloaded the
Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache package and this did not solve the problem.

On that support page under MORE INFORMATION, could someone advise me if I'm
supposed to do that Registry "CacheWriteDelay", or is that refering to Win 98
only.

Can anyone throw a light on what else I can do to resolve the problem?

Thanks,
Keith

"KLT" <KLT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote..

> My WinME is shutting down properly and I keep getting the run scandisk at
> reboot..
> I went here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273017/EN-US/ and downloaded
the
> Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache package and this did not solve the problem.
>
> On that support page under MORE INFORMATION, could someone advise me if
I'm
> supposed to do that Registry "CacheWriteDelay", or is that refering to Win
98
> only.
>
> Can anyone throw a light on what else I can do to resolve the problem?

The other suggestion in this threat very worthwhile. I had similar
experience with Scandisk ALWAYS happening following what I perceived to be
proper Shutdown. I applied the DWORD Cache Delay fix that has been referred
to as well, but that did not help.

What has helped the most is.. closing all apps, disconnecting from internet,
and waiting atleast 40 seconds before invoking Shutdown. You may be able to
get away with a shorter time, but this the absolute minimum time required on
my 1gHz P-3, 256meg ram.

Thanks Mike,

All is now resolved after making the "CacheWriteDelay" entry in the Registry
and afterwards letting Scandisk do the lengthy full scan.
If you stop Scandisk doing a full scan after making the entry (which I did),
then the problem will not be resolved.

KLT,

Thanks for posting back letting us know you've managed to fix your
problems with scandisk running each time you booted. Hopefully others
with similar problems will read your post and the solutions and manage to
fix their problem as well.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby