LINKSYS WPC11 DOES NOT WORK

I installed the Linksys WPC11 wireless-B notebook adapter into an IBM
600E notebook with Windows 98SE. We have 2 wireless access points in
the house. After it boots up and you open the WLAN monitor it says "You
have successfully connected to the access point but the internet cannot
be found". At this point the signal strength is at 100%.

To connect to the internet, you have to click on the "Default" profile
and then click "Connect". It then takes about 1-2 minutes for it to
connect to the internet.

It only connected to the internet automatically once or twice.

Any ideas?

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Do you not have an "always on" internet connection? If it connects to the
wireless part, but not the internet, I would look at the router to see if it
maintains the connection. You normally need some type of profile to keep
the settings for your network. There are also check boxes for connect
automatically and such.

Clark

"JME" <jme@jme.com> wrote in message
>I installed the Linksys WPC11 wireless-B notebook adapter into an IBM 600E
>notebook with Windows 98SE. We have 2 wireless access points in the house.
>After it boots up and you open the WLAN monitor it says "You have
>successfully connected to the access point but the internet cannot be
>found". At this point the signal strength is at 100%.
>
> To connect to the internet, you have to click on the "Default" profile and
> then click "Connect". It then takes about 1-2 minutes for it to connect
> to the internet.
>
> It only connected to the internet automatically once or twice.
>
> Any ideas?

It's an "always on" cable modem connection. There are no check boxes to
connect automatically.

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> Do you not have an "always on" internet connection? If it connects to
> the wireless part, but not the internet, I would look at the router to
> see if it maintains the connection. You normally need some type of
> profile to keep the settings for your network. There are also check
> boxes for connect automatically and such.
>
> Clark
>
> "JME" <jme@jme.com> wrote in message
>>I installed the Linksys WPC11 wireless-B notebook adapter into an IBM
>>600E notebook with Windows 98SE. We have 2 wireless access points in
>>the house. After it boots up and you open the WLAN monitor it says
>>"You have successfully connected to the access point but the internet
>>cannot be found". At this point the signal strength is at 100%.
>>
>> To connect to the internet, you have to click on the "Default"
>> profile and then click "Connect". It then takes about 1-2 minutes
>> for it to connect to the internet.
>>
>> It only connected to the internet automatically once or twice.
>>
>> Any ideas?

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Maybe someone else will know for sure, but perhaps you could check the WAPs
from the router. Do they both have IP addresses and DNS addresses. Have
you tried disabling one to see if they are interfering with each other, or
maybe the WPC11 can't decide which one to connect to. Maybe they are both
trying to allow a DHCP for the card. Perhaps using a static IP would be
something you could try.