Have a problem and don't know what is causing it!

Scott

Hi all

I just recently upgraded to an AMD Athlon 64 3400+.

I later installed the beta of xp64 but a few days ago I started to have a
problem. The pc would hang for no reason for a few minutes (mouse cursor
would move but nothing was clickable and any download would keep going).
I thought this might be a bug in XP64 so uninstalled it by doing a complete
reformat and installing XP Home Edition.
But I am still having this problem!
Which makes me think it is hardware related. I have installed all the latest
drivers and all the latest updates from Microsoft to no avail.

The only thing I haven't done is upgrade the motherboard bios as this will
not work on the manufacturers website.

Any ideas what else it could be? I'll try the bios again tonight to see if I
have better luck.

Thanks, Scott

jad

>>>I later installed the beta of xp64

Doesn't that say it all? Your a tester, report your problems to MS also.

"Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I just recently upgraded to an AMD Athlon 64 3400+.
>
> I later installed the beta of xp64 but a few days ago I started to have a
> problem. The pc would hang for no reason for a few minutes (mouse cursor
> would move but nothing was clickable and any download would keep going).
> I thought this might be a bug in XP64 so uninstalled it by doing a
complete
> reformat and installing XP Home Edition.
> But I am still having this problem!
> Which makes me think it is hardware related. I have installed all the
latest
> drivers and all the latest updates from Microsoft to no avail.
>
> The only thing I haven't done is upgrade the motherboard bios as this will
> not work on the manufacturers website.
>
> Any ideas what else it could be? I'll try the bios again tonight to see if
> have better luck.
>
> Thanks, Scott

Scott

"Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I just recently upgraded to an AMD Athlon 64 3400+.
>
> I later installed the beta of xp64 but a few days ago I started to have a
> problem. The pc would hang for no reason for a few minutes (mouse cursor
> would move but nothing was clickable and any download would keep going).
> I thought this might be a bug in XP64 so uninstalled it by doing a
> complete reformat and installing XP Home Edition.
> But I am still having this problem!
> Which makes me think it is hardware related. I have installed all the
> latest drivers and all the latest updates from Microsoft to no avail.
>
> The only thing I haven't done is upgrade the motherboard bios as this will
> not work on the manufacturers website.
>
> Any ideas what else it could be? I'll try the bios again tonight to see if
> I have better luck.
>
> Thanks, Scott

Managed to get the Bios update so will try that tonight. But can anyone
think of another reason for this? Could it be bad ram? Oh, to be clear on
this, after the few minutes of 'freezing' everything does return to normal.
But then the 'freezing' does come back again.

Scott

Scott

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message

> Doesn't that say it all? Your a tester, report your problems to MS also.

No it doesn't 'say it all'. As I stated, after experiencing the problem I
reformatted the HD and reinstalled my copy of XP Home edition. Not the 64
bit edition. Therefore I think I would get laughed at if I was to seek an
answer for a 32bit edition problem, which you are saying relates to a 64bit
edition....

Where is your logic?

Scott

Scott writes:

> No it doesn't 'say it all'. As I stated, after experiencing the problem I
> reformatted the HD and reinstalled my copy of XP Home edition. Not the 64
> bit edition. Therefore I think I would get laughed at if I was to seek an
> answer for a 32bit edition problem, which you are saying relates to a 64bit
> edition....

But you're still using an AMD64 processor, aren't you?

Dee

Mxsmanic wrote:

> Scott writes:
>

>>No it doesn't 'say it all'. As I stated, after experiencing the problem I
>>reformatted the HD and reinstalled my copy of XP Home edition. Not the 64
>>bit edition. Therefore I think I would get laughed at if I was to seek an
>>answer for a 32bit edition problem, which you are saying relates to a 64bit
>>edition....
>

> But you're still using an AMD64 processor, aren't you?

So, what is your point?

Scott

"Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
> Mxsmanic wrote:
>
>> Scott writes:
>>

>>>No it doesn't 'say it all'. As I stated, after experiencing the problem I
>>>reformatted the HD and reinstalled my copy of XP Home edition. Not the 64
>>>bit edition. Therefore I think I would get laughed at if I was to seek an
>>>answer for a 32bit edition problem, which you are saying relates to a
>>>64bit edition....
>>

>> But you're still using an AMD64 processor, aren't you?
>>

> So, what is your point?

Exactly! AMD64 doesn't do anything different in the same way that a 64bit
operating system does. I'm back to the 32bit OS, and am STILL getting the
problem. Obviously it has nothing to do with software anyway. Which is why I
think it may be the motherboard Bios.

I will update that tonight as I got the website to work, and I will let you
know how it went.

Scott

Dee writes:

> So, what is your point?

The point is that the processor may have something to do with your
problem.

If you want to ride on the cutting edge, you have to accept a lot of
problems and downtime.

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dee writes:
>
> > So, what is your point?
>
> The point is that the processor may have something to do with your
> problem.
>
> If you want to ride on the cutting edge, you have to accept a lot of
> problems and downtime.
>
> --
> Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

AMD64 is NOT cutting edge, has been available over a year. Try running
manufacturers diagnostic. Hard drive can have int fault where it 'hangs'
with drive light on but nothing happens for a period.
Mike.

jad

"Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Dee writes:
> >
> > > So, what is your point?
> >
> > The point is that the processor may have something to do with your
> > problem.
> >
> > If you want to ride on the cutting edge, you have to accept a lot of
> > problems and downtime.
> >
> > --
> > Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me
directly.

> , has been available over a year. Try running
> manufacturers diagnostic. Hard drive can have int fault where it 'hangs'
> with drive light on but nothing happens for a period.
> Mike.
>
>AMD64 is NOT cutting edge

what is? what cpu is more 'cutting edge' ? newest tech? why aren't a
decent percentage of people using them? Why is there not a large
number/variety of Mainboards? Where's the software?

not to say that its a 'given' that you have problems when on the edge, but
its more likely.

bring up task manager and look under process to see what's taking your cpu
time

"Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I just recently upgraded to an AMD Athlon 64 3400+.
>
> I later installed the beta of xp64 but a few days ago I started to have a
> problem. The pc would hang for no reason for a few minutes (mouse cursor
> would move but nothing was clickable and any download would keep going).
> I thought this might be a bug in XP64 so uninstalled it by doing a
> complete reformat and installing XP Home Edition.
> But I am still having this problem!
> Which makes me think it is hardware related. I have installed all the
> latest drivers and all the latest updates from Microsoft to no avail.
>
> The only thing I haven't done is upgrade the motherboard bios as this will
> not work on the manufacturers website.
>
> Any ideas what else it could be? I'll try the bios again tonight to see if
> I have better luck.
>
> Thanks, Scott

Scott

"James West" <james.west@ssss.com> wrote in message
> bring up task manager and look under process to see what's taking your cpu
> time

Well thankfully, task manager does work through this. It's usually going
between 0-10%. I can even close the programs that are open using task
manager, but still the pc hangs until it is done f***ing about. I could even
have nothing open while doing something around the house, then come back to
it and find I can't use it for a while.
This even happened before I could connect to the internet for the first
time, so I know it's not virus related.

Scott

Michael Hawes writes:

> AMD64 is NOT cutting edge, has been available over a year.

A year is "cutting edge" from a stability standpoint.

BillB

> Where is your logic?

with computers logic ends at the time an instruction is decoded. everything
from execution time on is not based necessarily in logic.

the execution of the instruction, it could be argued, will proceed on a
logical basis, but that data being moved around will often not make much
logical sense.

Scott

"billb" <sevenoutpinball@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Where is your logic?
>>

> with computers logic ends at the time an instruction is decoded.
> everything
> from execution time on is not based necessarily in logic.
>
> the execution of the instruction, it could be argued, will proceed on a
> logical basis, but that data being moved around will often not make much
> logical sense.

Get a life!

Scott