Windows ME Update Driver Dialog Freezes

Hi all,

there's been an annoying problem that has been nagging me for ages. I'm
using Windows Millenium Edition and everytime I plug anything new into the
computer via USB or other methods it brings up the Updating Drivers box
however it freezes after about a couple of seconds with the bar either not
moving or the bars going to 100% and then back around without any harddrive
activity.

This problem could also be why everytime I run Windows Update it downloads
the files but hangs after a few seconds of installing the updates in the same
manner?

Any suggestions?

Do you have Norton System Works installed or more specifically System
Doctor?

Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
this is the cause of your problem. Delete ONLY the 0 byte oem*.inf files.

Why has this happened? One possibility it that you have Norton's System
Doctor installed and forgot to disable System Doctor before updating your
system from the Windows Update site. If you don't delete these files some
software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very long time
to complete if they complete at all.

For more details see the Symantec site:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
and also MS KB 281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281967). I would strongly recommend
that you contact Microsoft and mention KB281967 and also KB301540 and ask
for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will then either be sent
the file or told how and where to download a copy. There should be no
charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone call.

Alternatively do yourself and your PC a big favour and dump System Doctor
since it causes far more problems than any non-existent benefit that
Symantec might claim it offers.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

A confused ME user <A confused ME user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there's been an annoying problem that has been nagging me for ages.
> I'm using Windows Millenium Edition and everytime I plug anything new
> into the computer via USB or other methods it brings up the Updating
> Drivers box however it freezes after about a couple of seconds with
> the bar either not moving or the bars going to 100% and then back
> around without any harddrive activity.
>
> This problem could also be why everytime I run Windows Update it
> downloads the files but hangs after a few seconds of installing the
> updates in the same manner?
>
> Any suggestions?

Heh thanks Mike M. Surprisingly I do have System Works and in the Windows Inf
folder there were 32428 0k oem*.inf files! I'm trying to delete them now but
it's taking a very long time to do so probably cos there are so many. Will
this allow Windows Update to work too as it suffers from the same problem?

Once again thanks for you help. It is so much appreciated.

"Mike M" wrote:

> Do you have Norton System Works installed or more specifically System
> Doctor?
>
> Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
> enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
> Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
> protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
> files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
> this is the cause of your problem. Delete ONLY the 0 byte oem*.inf files.
>
> Why has this happened? One possibility it that you have Norton's System
> Doctor installed and forgot to disable System Doctor before updating your
> system from the Windows Update site. If you don't delete these files some
> software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very long time
> to complete if they complete at all.
>
> For more details see the Symantec site:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
> and also MS KB 281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
> Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281967). I would strongly recommend
> that you contact Microsoft and mention KB281967 and also KB301540 and ask
> for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will then either be sent
> the file or told how and where to download a copy. There should be no
> charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone call.
>
> Alternatively do yourself and your PC a big favour and dump System Doctor
> since it causes far more problems than any non-existent benefit that
> Symantec might claim it offers.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> A confused ME user <A confused ME user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > there's been an annoying problem that has been nagging me for ages.
> > I'm using Windows Millenium Edition and everytime I plug anything new
> > into the computer via USB or other methods it brings up the Updating
> > Drivers box however it freezes after about a couple of seconds with
> > the bar either not moving or the bars going to 100% and then back
> > around without any harddrive activity.
> >
> > This problem could also be why everytime I run Windows Update it
> > downloads the files but hangs after a few seconds of installing the
> > updates in the same manner?
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Norton System Works and those thousands of unwanted oem*.inf files will
have caused your PC many many problems including the inability to properly
install any application or update that uses inf files including those from
the Windows Update site. May I suggest you place all things Norton in the
place they belong (the trash can) and give your PC a break and let it live
a little. I'm not suggesting that you don't need an AV application or
firewall, you most certainly do, just that those from any other vendor
will cause you less problems than those from Symantec.

Best of luck,