More Feedback-No auto System Restore Points

Hello
Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point" problem. To
summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR points"
being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a recommendation to
"Turn off System Restore".
I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation of
auto SR points
Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time told
them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR problem
and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of such
on their message forum.
Got an answer back:
Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
MLD
15 answers Last reply
More about more feedback auto system restore points

    MLD:
    And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
    program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with Avast.
    When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message and
    that was over a week or longer ago.
    Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
    Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last time
    around, but I'll come up with something.
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Harry.

    "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point" problem.
    > summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR points"
    > being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
    > Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a recommendation
    > "Turn off System Restore".
    > I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation of
    > auto SR points
    > Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time told
    > them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR problem
    > and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
    such
    > on their message forum.
    > Got an answer back:
    > Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
    > Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
    > MLD

    Harry
    I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
    Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially since
    Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something worthwhile
    let us (me) know.
    MLD
    > MLD:
    > And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
    > program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with
    Avast.
    > When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message
    and
    > that was over a week or longer ago.
    > Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
    > Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last time
    > around, but I'll come up with something.
    > Thanks for the feedback.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > > Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point" problem.
    > > summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR points"
    > > being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
    > > Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a
    recommendation
    > > "Turn off System Restore".
    > > I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation
    of
    > > auto SR points
    > > Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time
    told
    > > them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR
    problem
    > > and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
    > such
    > > on their message forum.
    > > Got an answer back:
    > > Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
    > > Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
    > > MLD

    I definitely will, MLD, if I can remember, that is.

    > Harry
    > I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
    > Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially since
    > Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something
    worthwhile
    > let us (me) know.
    > MLD
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > MLD:
    > > And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
    > > program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with
    > Avast.
    > > When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message
    > and
    > > that was over a week or longer ago.
    > > Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
    > > Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last
    time
    > > around, but I'll come up with something.
    > > Thanks for the feedback.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > > Hello
    > > > Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point"
    problem.
    > > > summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR
    points"
    > > > being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
    > > > Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a
    > recommendation
    > > > "Turn off System Restore".
    > > > I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation
    > of
    > > > auto SR points
    > > > Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time
    > told
    > > > them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR
    > problem
    > > > and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
    > > such
    > > > on their message forum.
    > > > Got an answer back:
    > > > Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
    > > > Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
    > > > MLD

    MLD:

    You may want to give "BitDefender" a try.
    It's a free, online virus scanner and quite efficient, if I remember
    correctly.
    As a matter of fact, I am trying it out now.

    Harry.

    "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Harry
    > I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
    > Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially since
    > Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something
    worthwhile
    > let us (me) know.
    > MLD
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > MLD:
    > > And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
    > > program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with
    > Avast.
    > > When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message
    > and
    > > that was over a week or longer ago.
    > > Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
    > > Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last
    time
    > > around, but I'll come up with something.
    > > Thanks for the feedback.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > > Hello
    > > > Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point"
    problem.
    > > > summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR
    points"
    > > > being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
    > > > Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a
    > recommendation
    > > > "Turn off System Restore".
    > > > I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation
    > of
    > > > auto SR points
    > > > Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time
    > told
    > > > them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR
    > problem
    > > > and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
    > > such
    > > > on their message forum.
    > > > Got an answer back:
    > > > Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
    > > > Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
    > > > MLD

    The problem with online virusscans is they all use ActiveX which
    ironically is a vector for quite a few viruses.

    AVG works good. IIRC, heard good things about Avast as well

    Rick

    webster72n wrote:
    > MLD:
    >
    > You may want to give "BitDefender" a try.
    > It's a free, online virus scanner and quite efficient, if I remember
    > correctly.
    > As a matter of fact, I am trying it out now.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Harry
    >>I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
    >>Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially since
    >>Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something
    >
    > worthwhile
    >
    >>let us (me) know.
    >>MLD
    >>"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>MLD:
    >>>And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
    >>>program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with
    >>
    >>Avast.
    >>
    >>>When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message
    >>
    >>and
    >>
    >>>that was over a week or longer ago.
    >>>Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
    >>>Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last
    >
    > time
    >
    >>>around, but I'll come up with something.
    >>>Thanks for the feedback.
    >>>
    >>> Harry.
    >>>

    >>>"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > problem.

    > points"

    >>recommendation

    >>of

    >>told

    >>problem

    >>>such

    Elsewhere, a user has reported that MSN7's email notification app causes SR
    to stop - do you have MSN 7 installed?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point" problem.
    > summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR points"
    > being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
    > Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a recommendation
    > "Turn off System Restore".
    > I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation of
    > auto SR points
    > Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time told
    > them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR problem
    > and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
    > such
    > on their message forum.
    > Got an answer back:
    > Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
    > Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
    > MLD

    Rick:

    Even though the BitDefender didn't find anything, it might have deposited
    something instead?
    That is bad news, should it apply.
    In this case I hope it doesn't.
    I'll let TrendMicro or McAfee check it out for me.
    Thanks for the tip.

    Harry.

    > The problem with online virusscans is they all use ActiveX which
    > ironically is a vector for quite a few viruses.
    >
    > AVG works good. IIRC, heard good things about Avast as well
    >

    > Rick
    >
    > webster72n wrote:
    > > MLD:
    > >
    > > You may want to give "BitDefender" a try.
    > > It's a free, online virus scanner and quite efficient, if I remember
    > > correctly.
    > > As a matter of fact, I am trying it out now.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Harry
    > >>I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
    > >>Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially
    since
    > >>Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something
    > >
    > > worthwhile
    > >
    > >>let us (me) know.
    > >>MLD
    > >>"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

    > >>Avast.

    > >>and

    > > time

    > > problem.

    > > points"

    > >>recommendation

    > >>of

    > >>told

    > >>problem

    I don't know about MLD, but no MSN 7 here, Noel.
    Thanks.

    Harry.

    webster72n wrote:
    > Rick:
    >
    > Even though the BitDefender didn't find anything, it might have deposited
    > something instead?

    sorry, should have qualified thata little.

    ActiveX (required to run all the online virus scans I've encountered) is
    often used as a vector for viruses, not that I'm saying the virus scans
    are viruses.

    > That is bad news, should it apply.
    > In this case I hope it doesn't.
    > I'll let TrendMicro or McAfee check it out for me.
    > Thanks for the tip.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>The problem with online virusscans is they all use ActiveX which
    >>ironically is a vector for quite a few viruses.
    >>
    >>AVG works good. IIRC, heard good things about Avast as well
    >>

    >>Rick
    >>
    >>webster72n wrote:
    >>
    >>>MLD:
    >>>
    >>>You may want to give "BitDefender" a try.
    >>>It's a free, online virus scanner and quite efficient, if I remember
    >>>correctly.
    >>>As a matter of fact, I am trying it out now.
    >>>
    >>> Harry.
    >>>

    >>>"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > since

    >>>worthwhile

    > their

    > message

    >>>time

    >>>problem.

    >>>points"

    Rick:
    It was clear to me the BitDefender not being a "direct depositor" of
    viruses.
    Still, the thought of it being a vehicle as an online scanner is bad enough.
    Probably will get by without it.

    Harry.

    > webster72n wrote:
    > > Rick:
    > >
    > > Even though the BitDefender didn't find anything, it might have
    deposited
    > > something instead?
    >
    > sorry, should have qualified thata little.
    >
    > ActiveX (required to run all the online virus scans I've encountered) is
    > often used as a vector for viruses, not that I'm saying the virus scans
    > are viruses.
    >

    > > That is bad news, should it apply.
    > > In this case I hope it doesn't.
    > > I'll let TrendMicro or McAfee check it out for me.
    > > Thanks for the tip.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>The problem with online virusscans is they all use ActiveX which
    > >>ironically is a vector for quite a few viruses.
    > >>
    > >>AVG works good. IIRC, heard good things about Avast as well
    > >>

    > >>Rick

    > > since

    > > their

    > > message

    Again, Harry, I didn't say (or as far as I can see hint) that
    BitDefender is or isn't a virus or a virus vector.

    webster72n wrote:
    > Rick:
    > It was clear to me the BitDefender not being a "direct depositor" of
    > viruses.
    > Still, the thought of it being a vehicle as an online scanner is bad enough.
    > Probably will get by without it.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>webster72n wrote:
    >>
    >>>Rick:
    >>>
    >>>Even though the BitDefender didn't find anything, it might have
    >
    > deposited
    >
    >>>something instead?
    >>
    >>sorry, should have qualified thata little.
    >>
    >>ActiveX (required to run all the online virus scans I've encountered) is
    >>often used as a vector for viruses, not that I'm saying the virus scans
    >>are viruses.
    >>

    >>>That is bad news, should it apply.
    >>>In this case I hope it doesn't.
    >>>I'll let TrendMicro or McAfee check it out for me.
    >>>Thanks for the tip.
    >>>
    >>> Harry.
    >>>

    >>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    > present.

    >>>since

    >>>their

    >>>message

    > creation

    > time

    > of

    In that case you've got me stumped, Rick.
    What, in effect, did you say?
    Sorry about the misunderstanding.

    Harry.

    webster72n wrote:
    > In that case you've got me stumped, Rick.
    > What, in effect, did you say?
    > Sorry about the misunderstanding.

    ActiveX is a programming language developed/used by Microsoft and is
    installed in Internet Explorer. It's generally considered to be full of
    holes and is a prime target for virii.

    And it's what all the online virus scanners (that I've encountered) use
    to do their online virus scan.

    Rick

    > Harry.
    >

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Again, Harry, I didn't say (or as far as I can see hint) that
    >>BitDefender is or isn't a virus or a virus vector.
    >>

    >>webster72n wrote:
    >>
    >>>Rick:
    >>>It was clear to me the BitDefender not being a "direct depositor" of
    >>>viruses.
    >>>Still, the thought of it being a vehicle as an online scanner is bad
    >
    > enough.
    >
    >>>Probably will get by without it.
    >>>
    >>> Harry.
    >>>

    >>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>>deposited

    >>>present.

    > with

    > last

    >>>creation

    >>>time

    > history
    >
    >>>of

    And that includes BitDefender and also makes my perception correct, even
    though the involvement is indirect.
    Thank you for clearing this up, Rick.

    Harry.

    > webster72n wrote:
    > > In that case you've got me stumped, Rick.
    > > What, in effect, did you say?
    > > Sorry about the misunderstanding.
    >
    > ActiveX is a programming language developed/used by Microsoft and is
    > installed in Internet Explorer. It's generally considered to be full of
    > holes and is a prime target for virii.
    >
    > And it's what all the online virus scanners (that I've encountered) use
    > to do their online virus scan.
    >

    > Rick
    >

    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Again, Harry, I didn't say (or as far as I can see hint) that
    > >>BitDefender is or isn't a virus or a virus vector.

    > > enough.

    is

    > > with

    > > last

    SR

    > > history

    Don't have MSN 7 either.
    MLD

    > I don't know about MLD, but no MSN 7 here, Noel.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Elsewhere, a user has reported that MSN7's email notification app
    causes
    > SR
    > > to stop - do you have MSN 7 installed?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >
    > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > > Hello
    > > > Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point"
    problem.
    > > > summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR
    points"
    > > > being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
    > > > Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a
    > recommendation
    > > > "Turn off System Restore".
    > > > I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation
    > of
    > > > auto SR points
    > > > Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time
    > told
    > > > them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR
    > problem
    > > > and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
    > > > such
    > > > on their message forum.
    > > > Got an answer back:
    > > > Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
    > > > Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
    > > > MLD

Support Microsoft System Restore Windows