More Feedback-No auto System Restore Points

Hello
Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point" problem. To
summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR points"
being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a recommendation to
"Turn off System Restore".
I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation of
auto SR points
Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time told
them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR problem
and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of such
on their message forum.
Got an answer back:
Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
MLD

MLD:
And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with Avast.
When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message and
that was over a week or longer ago.
Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last time
around, but I'll come up with something.
Thanks for the feedback.

Harry.

"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello
> Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point" problem.
> summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR points"
> being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
> Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a recommendation
> "Turn off System Restore".
> I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation of
> auto SR points
> Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time told
> them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR problem
> and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
such
> on their message forum.
> Got an answer back:
> Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
> Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
> MLD

Harry
I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially since
Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something worthwhile
let us (me) know.
MLD
> MLD:
> And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
> program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with
Avast.
> When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message
and
> that was over a week or longer ago.
> Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
> Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last time
> around, but I'll come up with something.
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Harry.
>

> "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point" problem.
> > summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR points"
> > being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
> > Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a
recommendation
> > "Turn off System Restore".
> > I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation
of
> > auto SR points
> > Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time
told
> > them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR
problem
> > and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
> such
> > on their message forum.
> > Got an answer back:
> > Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
> > Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
> > MLD

I definitely will, MLD, if I can remember, that is.

> Harry
> I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
> Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially since
> Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something
worthwhile
> let us (me) know.
> MLD
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > MLD:
> > And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
> > program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with
> Avast.
> > When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message
> and
> > that was over a week or longer ago.
> > Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
> > Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last
time
> > around, but I'll come up with something.
> > Thanks for the feedback.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > Hello
> > > Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point"
problem.
> > > summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR
points"
> > > being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
> > > Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a
> recommendation
> > > "Turn off System Restore".
> > > I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation
> of
> > > auto SR points
> > > Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time
> told
> > > them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR
> problem
> > > and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
> > such
> > > on their message forum.
> > > Got an answer back:
> > > Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
> > > Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
> > > MLD

MLD:

You may want to give "BitDefender" a try.
It's a free, online virus scanner and quite efficient, if I remember
correctly.
As a matter of fact, I am trying it out now.

Harry.

"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Harry
> I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
> Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially since
> Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something
worthwhile
> let us (me) know.
> MLD
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > MLD:
> > And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
> > program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with
> Avast.
> > When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message
> and
> > that was over a week or longer ago.
> > Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
> > Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last
time
> > around, but I'll come up with something.
> > Thanks for the feedback.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > Hello
> > > Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point"
problem.
> > > summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR
points"
> > > being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
> > > Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a
> recommendation
> > > "Turn off System Restore".
> > > I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation
> of
> > > auto SR points
> > > Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time
> told
> > > them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR
> problem
> > > and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
> > such
> > > on their message forum.
> > > Got an answer back:
> > > Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
> > > Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
> > > MLD

The problem with online virusscans is they all use ActiveX which
ironically is a vector for quite a few viruses.

AVG works good. IIRC, heard good things about Avast as well

Rick

webster72n wrote:
> MLD:
>
> You may want to give "BitDefender" a try.
> It's a free, online virus scanner and quite efficient, if I remember
> correctly.
> As a matter of fact, I am trying it out now.
>
> Harry.
>

> "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>Harry
>>I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
>>Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially since
>>Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something
>
> worthwhile
>
>>let us (me) know.
>>MLD
>>"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>MLD:
>>>And those programers seemingly don't have any intentions to change their
>>>program in order to suit the people who run WinME in combination with
>>
>>Avast.
>>
>>>When I contacted them about it, I wound up with exactly the same message
>>
>>and
>>
>>>that was over a week or longer ago.
>>>Solution: Find another, better suitable antivirus program.
>>>Personally that's problematic, since I had trouble with AVG the last
>
> time
>
>>>around, but I'll come up with something.
>>>Thanks for the feedback.
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>>"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message

> problem.

> points"

>>recommendation

>>of

>>told

>>problem

>>>such

Elsewhere, a user has reported that MSN7's email notification app causes SR
to stop - do you have MSN 7 installed?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello
> Just a follow-up on the my "No Automatic System Restore Point" problem.
> summarize: Previously posted that I suspected that "no auto SR points"
> being created was the result of Avast Anti Virus.
> Initial contact with Avast Technical Support resulted in a recommendation
> "Turn off System Restore".
> I then confirmed that Avast was the sole cause preventing the creation of
> auto SR points
> Back to Avast Tech Support--- I was a bit more animated and this time told
> them that I had confirmed that Avast was 100% the cause of the SR problem
> and reiterated that it was not a new problem as there was a history of
> such
> on their message forum.
> Got an answer back:
> Quote: "I sent your notice to our programmers." Unquote
> Doubt if I'll hear from them again.
> MLD

Rick:

Even though the BitDefender didn't find anything, it might have deposited
something instead?
That is bad news, should it apply.
In this case I hope it doesn't.
I'll let TrendMicro or McAfee check it out for me.
Thanks for the tip.

Harry.

> The problem with online virusscans is they all use ActiveX which
> ironically is a vector for quite a few viruses.
>
> AVG works good. IIRC, heard good things about Avast as well
>

> Rick
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > MLD:
> >
> > You may want to give "BitDefender" a try.
> > It's a free, online virus scanner and quite efficient, if I remember
> > correctly.
> > As a matter of fact, I am trying it out now.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Harry
> >>I have been tempted to give AVG a try but will hold off for the present.
> >>Making a manual restore points is not that big an issue, especially
since
> >>Avast seems to be doing a nice job. If you run across something
> >
> > worthwhile
> >
> >>let us (me) know.
> >>MLD
> >>"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> >>Avast.

> >>and

> > time

> > problem.

> > points"

> >>recommendation

> >>of

> >>told

> >>problem

I don't know about MLD, but no MSN 7 here, Noel.
Thanks.

Harry.

webster72n wrote:
> Rick:
>
> Even though the BitDefender didn't find anything, it might have deposited
> something instead?

sorry, should have qualified thata little.

ActiveX (required to run all the online virus scans I've encountered) is
often used as a vector for viruses, not that I'm saying the virus scans
are viruses.

> That is bad news, should it apply.
> In this case I hope it doesn't.
> I'll let TrendMicro or McAfee check it out for me.
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>The problem with online virusscans is they all use ActiveX which
>>ironically is a vector for quite a few viruses.
>>
>>AVG works good. IIRC, heard good things about Avast as well
>>

>>Rick
>>
>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>MLD:
>>>
>>>You may want to give "BitDefender" a try.
>>>It's a free, online virus scanner and quite efficient, if I remember
>>>correctly.
>>>As a matter of fact, I am trying it out now.
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>>"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message

> since

>>>worthwhile

> their

> message

>>>time

>>>problem.

>>>points"

Rick:
It was clear to me the BitDefender not being a "direct depositor" of
viruses.
Still, the thought of it being a vehicle as an online scanner is bad enough.
Probably will get by without it.

Harry.

> webster72n wrote:
> > Rick:
> >
> > Even though the BitDefender didn't find anything, it might have
deposited
> > something instead?
>
> sorry, should have qualified thata little.
>
> ActiveX (required to run all the online virus scans I've encountered) is
> often used as a vector for viruses, not that I'm saying the virus scans
> are viruses.
>

> > That is bad news, should it apply.
> > In this case I hope it doesn't.
> > I'll let TrendMicro or McAfee check it out for me.
> > Thanks for the tip.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>The problem with online virusscans is they all use ActiveX which
> >>ironically is a vector for quite a few viruses.
> >>
> >>AVG works good. IIRC, heard good things about Avast as well
> >>

> >>Rick

> > since

> > their

> > message

Again, Harry, I didn't say (or as far as I can see hint) that
BitDefender is or isn't a virus or a virus vector.

webster72n wrote:
> Rick:
> It was clear to me the BitDefender not being a "direct depositor" of
> viruses.
> Still, the thought of it being a vehicle as an online scanner is bad enough.
> Probably will get by without it.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>Rick:
>>>
>>>Even though the BitDefender didn't find anything, it might have
>
> deposited
>
>>>something instead?
>>
>>sorry, should have qualified thata little.
>>
>>ActiveX (required to run all the online virus scans I've encountered) is
>>often used as a vector for viruses, not that I'm saying the virus scans
>>are viruses.
>>

>>>That is bad news, should it apply.
>>>In this case I hope it doesn't.
>>>I'll let TrendMicro or McAfee check it out for me.
>>>Thanks for the tip.
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> present.

>>>since

>>>their

>>>message

> creation

> time

> of

In that case you've got me stumped, Rick.
What, in effect, did you say?
Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Harry.

webster72n wrote:
> In that case you've got me stumped, Rick.
> What, in effect, did you say?
> Sorry about the misunderstanding.

ActiveX is a programming language developed/used by Microsoft and is
installed in Internet Explorer. It's generally considered to be full of
holes and is a prime target for virii.

And it's what all the online virus scanners (that I've encountered) use
to do their online virus scan.

Rick

> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Again, Harry, I didn't say (or as far as I can see hint) that
>>BitDefender is or isn't a virus or a virus vector.
>>

>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>Rick:
>>>It was clear to me the BitDefender not being a "direct depositor" of
>>>viruses.
>>>Still, the thought of it being a vehicle as an online scanner is bad
>
> enough.
>
>>>Probably will get by without it.
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>deposited

>>>present.

> with

> last

>>>creation

>>>time

> history
>
>>>of

And that includes BitDefender and also makes my perception correct, even
though the involvement is indirect.
Thank you for clearing this up, Rick.

Harry.

> webster72n wrote:
> > In that case you've got me stumped, Rick.
> > What, in effect, did you say?
> > Sorry about the misunderstanding.
>
> ActiveX is a programming language developed/used by Microsoft and is
> installed in Internet Explorer. It's generally considered to be full of
> holes and is a prime target for virii.
>
> And it's what all the online virus scanners (that I've encountered) use
> to do their online virus scan.
>

> Rick
>

> > Harry.
> >

> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Again, Harry, I didn't say (or as far as I can see hint) that
> >>BitDefender is or isn't a virus or a virus vector.

> > enough.

is

> > with

> > last

SR

> > history

Don't have MSN 7 either.
MLD

> I don't know about MLD, but no MSN 7 here, Noel.
> Thanks.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > Elsewhere, a user has reported that MSN7's email notification app
causes
> SR
> > to stop - do you have MSN 7 installed?
> >
> > --