Can not see print server over wireless

stantheman

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2004

I have Microsoft MN-500 router. With a print DLink Print server connected to
it wired. All the computers that are connected wired can see and access the
print server no problem. The wireless connections through The MN-500 cann not
see the print server. Ping does not see it. Am I missing something obvious.
Is this router designed differently from others? All computers (wired and
wireless can access the internet and share files). The print servers IP is
hard coded not using DHCP.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

OK, you can ping the wireless router, but not the print server. Since the
server address is static, is there something in a firewall that doesn't
allow that address? Are there any conflicts between the addresses? Are
you sure you are using the correct address?

Do you have the driver for the printer on your wireless computer?

It seems a little strange that you can communicate with everything except
the print server, and all other computers can. Since they all go through
the same router, it would seem to be something in the wireless side, but if
you can communicate with the router normally, what else is there? I am
unfamiliar with that router, so there may be some type of setting.

If you hard wire the laptop, can you see it?

Clark

"Stantheman" <Stantheman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Microsoft MN-500 router. With a print DLink Print server connected
> it wired. All the computers that are connected wired can see and access
> the
> print server no problem. The wireless connections through The MN-500 cann
> not
> see the print server. Ping does not see it. Am I missing something
> obvious.
> Is this router designed differently from others? All computers (wired and
> wireless can access the internet and share files). The print servers IP is
> hard coded not using DHCP.
>
> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

stantheman

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2004

I agree that it seems strange. I thought maybe there was something unique
about the microsoft router that isolated wireless connections from landline?
It is the same for any wireless connection attempt. The landline connections
work fine.

Stan

"Clark" wrote:

> OK, you can ping the wireless router, but not the print server. Since the
> server address is static, is there something in a firewall that doesn't
> allow that address? Are there any conflicts between the addresses? Are
> you sure you are using the correct address?
>
> Do you have the driver for the printer on your wireless computer?
>
> It seems a little strange that you can communicate with everything except
> the print server, and all other computers can. Since they all go through
> the same router, it would seem to be something in the wireless side, but if
> you can communicate with the router normally, what else is there? I am
> unfamiliar with that router, so there may be some type of setting.
>
> If you hard wire the laptop, can you see it?
>
> Clark
>
> "Stantheman" <Stantheman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Microsoft MN-500 router. With a print DLink Print server connected
> > it wired. All the computers that are connected wired can see and access
> > the
> > print server no problem. The wireless connections through The MN-500 cann
> > not
> > see the print server. Ping does not see it. Am I missing something
> > obvious.
> > Is this router designed differently from others? All computers (wired and
> > wireless can access the internet and share files). The print servers IP is
> > hard coded not using DHCP.
> >
> > Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

All I could suggest would be to go the Microsoft site and check the FAQ.
Otherwise, you might try changing which plug you have the print server
connected to.

There are setings with print servers concerning bi-directional printing and
such that you might play with.