MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR motherboard 12V connector for AMD Athl..

Hi,
I just tried to install a motherboard, a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR with a
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. I saw that the motherboard has an extra 4 pins
12V connector. I know that pentium 4 CPUs need this connector but I
thought that AMD CPUs do not need this extra connector. I was wondering
why is it there on an AMD motherboard, is it possible that newer Athlon
needs it? I didn't find the information on AMD's web site. Anyway the
system do not work at all, I don't hear any beeps (not even errors). So
I was thinking that maybe the CPU needs an ATX12V power supply. The
power supply currently installed in the case is an ATX 300W from 2000.
Thanks in advance.

someone92@hotmail.com (someone92) wrote:

> I just tried to install a motherboard, a MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR
>with a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. I saw that the motherboard has an
>extra 4 pins 12V connector. I know that pentium 4 CPUs need this
>connector but I thought that AMD CPUs do not need this extra
>connector. I was wondering why is it there on an AMD motherboard,

I think it's more of a mainboard design issue than a CPU
design issue.

You will need to buy a more recent power supply, all the recent ones have
the 4 pin conector your after. Some also have sata hard drive connectors
too. Do yourself a favour and buy a decent (above £40) power supply. It's
important!

I asked the same question on another newsgroup about 6 months back and
someone suggested a 4 pin adapter (to adapt a 4 pin molex), even sent me a
link for a US site that stocked them. I don't know if these are available
in the uk but considering you only have a 300W I would definately go with a
new one.

Dave