Windows ME Startup Problems

Hello,

Over the weekend, my system went tango uniform. It would not boot normally.
The last line the screen displays is "Verifying DMI Pool Data. . . .".

I am able to boot in SAFE mode only. Trying to reboot after entering SAFE
mode causes the computer to hang at the above statement.

I have tried all the Help Troubleshooting Startup suggestions. Selective
Startup, System Restore, MSCONFIG, etc do not work. Ad-Aware SE Personal does
not detect any malware.

The only error message I saw was:

Error: 0E : 0028 : C1844C44

This morning when I tried to access the Internet, I got this message when I
started ZoneAlarm:

VxD dynamic link call: C18628BC to "0028", service 800A.

After selecting Yes to continue, I get another error message:

File Name: VSDATA95(01) + 0000E3B4 Error: 0E : 0028 : C1843984

Pressing any key causes the system to reboot.

Prior to this I have had my antivirus up to date with ZoneAlarm as my
firewall. A virus scan by Norton internally and webscans by PandaSoftware
and BitDefender have detected no viruses.

I upgraded this computer from Windows 98 many moons ago and to date this is
the only major headache I have had. I have tried the various System Tools
under the Accessories tab menu to no avail.

I need help! HELP! Can anyone help me with this?
5 answers Last reply
More about windows startup problems

    Boot to Safe Mode and use system restore to roll your system back to a
    checkpoint created before the problem started. However since you have
    Norton installed it's a bit of a gamble as to whether this will work or
    not.

    VSDATA95.VXD is part of Zone Alarm rather than Win Me.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    ronbo76 <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Over the weekend, my system went tango uniform. It would not boot
    > normally. The last line the screen displays is "Verifying DMI Pool
    > Data. . . .".
    >
    > I am able to boot in SAFE mode only. Trying to reboot after entering
    > SAFE mode causes the computer to hang at the above statement.
    >
    > I have tried all the Help Troubleshooting Startup suggestions.
    > Selective Startup, System Restore, MSCONFIG, etc do not work.
    > Ad-Aware SE Personal does not detect any malware.
    >
    > The only error message I saw was:
    >
    > Error: 0E : 0028 : C1844C44
    >

    > This morning when I tried to access the Internet, I got this message
    > when I started ZoneAlarm:
    >

    > VxD dynamic link call: C18628BC to "0028", service 800A.
    >

    > After selecting Yes to continue, I get another error message:
    >

    > File Name: VSDATA95(01) + 0000E3B4 Error: 0E : 0028 : C1843984
    >
    > Pressing any key causes the system to reboot.
    >
    > Prior to this I have had my antivirus up to date with ZoneAlarm as my
    > firewall. A virus scan by Norton internally and webscans by
    > PandaSoftware and BitDefender have detected no viruses.
    >
    > I upgraded this computer from Windows 98 many moons ago and to date
    > this is the only major headache I have had. I have tried the various
    > System Tools under the Accessories tab menu to no avail.
    >
    > I need help! HELP! Can anyone help me with this?

    Thanks for the tip about vsdata95.vxd. I have already tried the System
    Restorations to no end. I end up with a hung computer that can only be booted
    in SAFE mode.

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Boot to Safe Mode and use system restore to roll your system back to a
    > checkpoint created before the problem started. However since you have
    > Norton installed it's a bit of a gamble as to whether this will work or
    > not.
    >
    > VSDATA95.VXD is part of Zone Alarm rather than Win Me.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > ronbo76 <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Over the weekend, my system went tango uniform. It would not boot
    > > normally. The last line the screen displays is "Verifying DMI Pool
    > > Data. . . .".
    > >
    > > I am able to boot in SAFE mode only. Trying to reboot after entering
    > > SAFE mode causes the computer to hang at the above statement.
    > >
    > > I have tried all the Help Troubleshooting Startup suggestions.
    > > Selective Startup, System Restore, MSCONFIG, etc do not work.
    > > Ad-Aware SE Personal does not detect any malware.
    > >
    > > The only error message I saw was:
    > >
    > > Error: 0E : 0028 : C1844C44
    > >

    > > This morning when I tried to access the Internet, I got this message
    > > when I started ZoneAlarm:
    > >

    > > VxD dynamic link call: C18628BC to "0028", service 800A.
    > >

    > > After selecting Yes to continue, I get another error message:
    > >

    > > File Name: VSDATA95(01) + 0000E3B4 Error: 0E : 0028 : C1843984
    > >
    > > Pressing any key causes the system to reboot.
    > >
    > > Prior to this I have had my antivirus up to date with ZoneAlarm as my
    > > firewall. A virus scan by Norton internally and webscans by
    > > PandaSoftware and BitDefender have detected no viruses.
    > >
    > > I upgraded this computer from Windows 98 many moons ago and to date
    > > this is the only major headache I have had. I have tried the various
    > > System Tools under the Accessories tab menu to no avail.
    > >
    > > I need help! HELP! Can anyone help me with this?

    Boot in Safe Mode and try

    Start > Run > type SCANREG /RESTORE (note space between G and /)

    Press enter, select a date just BEFORE the problem started and reboot when
    finished.

    See if that helps.

    Zee

    "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the tip about vsdata95.vxd. I have already tried the System
    > Restorations to no end. I end up with a hung computer that can only be
    booted
    > in SAFE mode.
    >
    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    > > Boot to Safe Mode and use system restore to roll your system back to a
    > > checkpoint created before the problem started. However since you have
    > > Norton installed it's a bit of a gamble as to whether this will work or
    > > not.
    > >
    > > VSDATA95.VXD is part of Zone Alarm rather than Win Me.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > ronbo76 <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > Over the weekend, my system went tango uniform. It would not boot
    > > > normally. The last line the screen displays is "Verifying DMI Pool
    > > > Data. . . .".
    > > >
    > > > I am able to boot in SAFE mode only. Trying to reboot after entering
    > > > SAFE mode causes the computer to hang at the above statement.
    > > >
    > > > I have tried all the Help Troubleshooting Startup suggestions.
    > > > Selective Startup, System Restore, MSCONFIG, etc do not work.
    > > > Ad-Aware SE Personal does not detect any malware.
    > > >
    > > > The only error message I saw was:
    > > >
    > > > Error: 0E : 0028 : C1844C44
    > > >

    > > > This morning when I tried to access the Internet, I got this message
    > > > when I started ZoneAlarm:
    > > >

    > > > VxD dynamic link call: C18628BC to "0028", service 800A.
    > > >

    > > > After selecting Yes to continue, I get another error message:
    > > >

    > > > File Name: VSDATA95(01) + 0000E3B4 Error: 0E : 0028 : C1843984
    > > >
    > > > Pressing any key causes the system to reboot.
    > > >
    > > > Prior to this I have had my antivirus up to date with ZoneAlarm as my
    > > > firewall. A virus scan by Norton internally and webscans by
    > > > PandaSoftware and BitDefender have detected no viruses.
    > > >
    > > > I upgraded this computer from Windows 98 many moons ago and to date
    > > > this is the only major headache I have had. I have tried the various
    > > > System Tools under the Accessories tab menu to no avail.
    > > >
    > > > I need help! HELP! Can anyone help me with this?

    Thanks, but that was one of the troubleshooter's answers. No luck with it.

    "oops!!" wrote:

    > Boot in Safe Mode and try
    >
    > Start > Run > type SCANREG /RESTORE (note space between G and /)
    >
    > Press enter, select a date just BEFORE the problem started and reboot when
    > finished.
    >
    > See if that helps.
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the tip about vsdata95.vxd. I have already tried the System
    > > Restorations to no end. I end up with a hung computer that can only be
    > booted
    > > in SAFE mode.
    > >
    > > "Mike M" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Boot to Safe Mode and use system restore to roll your system back to a
    > > > checkpoint created before the problem started. However since you have
    > > > Norton installed it's a bit of a gamble as to whether this will work or
    > > > not.
    > > >
    > > > VSDATA95.VXD is part of Zone Alarm rather than Win Me.
    > > > --
    > > > Mike Maltby
    > > > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    I would suspect you may have several problems, starting with hardware.

    Try re-setting the Bios to Default or Safe.

    Press the DEL key at startup to enter Bios and look for Default or Safe
    settings, select them, SAVE and exit.

    See if the system now passes that "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." message.

    Post back your findings.

    > Thanks, but that was one of the troubleshooter's answers. No luck with it.
    >
    > "oops!!" wrote:
    >

    > > Boot in Safe Mode and try
    > >
    > > Start > Run > type SCANREG /RESTORE (note space between G and /)
    > >
    > > Press enter, select a date just BEFORE the problem started and reboot
    when
    > > finished.
    > >
    > > See if that helps.
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for the tip about vsdata95.vxd. I have already tried the System
    > > > Restorations to no end. I end up with a hung computer that can only be
    > > booted
    > > > in SAFE mode.

Windows